This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm pretty sure you'll get into Tulane and UF. I don't know much about the other two schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with the previous poster, you would get right in at those two. Your credentials are pretty decent, I feel confident about your odds for your first choice. Good luck. :thumbup:

Hello all:

I have been perusing the board for a few weeks now, in anticipation of the GRE. I want to apply for MHA/MPH Management depending on what the various schools offer...

I was wondering if anyone could comment on my chances/ if you have any suggestions for schools that I should apply to... I am still unsure of where exactly I want to apply/want to attend, so I would really appreciate your advice...

Undergrad: UofM, 3.73 GPA
GRE: 160V, 158Q (Haven't received the writing yet, as I just took my test today)

I had my scores send to UofM(number 1 choice), Yale, Tulane, and University of Florida

Also, I am currently an intern at a Cancer Institute doing a research project and some other management related projects...

What do you think of my chances at these schools?

What other schools should I apply to? Where do you feel like I could get into?

Thank you very, very much...

Thanks a lot for the responses....

I am having a really hard time deciding where I want to apply, and its even more difficult gauging how likely it is that I'll get accepted...

If anyone has suggestions, or if they really like their programs in Admin/Management, I would really appreciate hearing about it too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys

This is a great thread and I'd be keen to hear your advice re the possibility of a MPH.

I thought I'd start a thread on the main forum too just to gauge opinions on the merits of a US vs UK mph degree, uni style etc.

I've just finished medical school in the UK and hope to apply for a MPH in 2 years time following completion of the Foundation Programme (2yrs as a junior doc). Im keen to undertake a post-grad degree and would like the chance to study in the USA if possible.

My stats are as follows:

Undergraduate: Imperial College London, Management BSc (Hons) - Business School

GPA: ~3.8

Med school: Liverpool

Degree: MBChB (Hons) - hons given to top 10% of class

GRE: not done yet

Publications: 4 first author publications

Presentations: 12 national/international (oral and poster)

Prizes: 5 national prizes inc 2 research grants

Extra curriculars: president surgical soc, rugby, cricket, British Army Officer RAMC with grade A pass to Sandhurst, BUPA internship, academic mentor, numerous courses etc...

My academic work to date has largely been surgically focused although my BSc dissertation had a travel medicine focus. Following my officer training, the British Army role would really allow me to utilise an MPH and ideally I'd like a career combining surgery, relief/humanitarian and management work.

My questions are mainly:

Do I have a realistic shot at the likes of Harvard, Yale, JHU, UCLA?

How can I improve my application? (I appreciate public/global health work exp is weak)

What should I focus on during my next two years as a doctor to build a solid application?

Apologies for the long post and I greatly appreciate any advice offered.

Hey all! I'm new to this board, but not to public health. I'm applying for Fall 2013, and my stats are below....let me know any thoughts you have on how I might improve my chances. Thanks so much!

GPA: 3.68 from a top university
Major: Communications, Justice
GRE: 158 verbal, 153 quantitative (haven't received writing yet, but I expect it to be decent)
Work experience: a little over a year working on risk reduction programs for a large city school district

I know that I don't have a TON of public health experience, but I am hoping to do my MPH in community health/sociomedical science, looking at some of the social determinants and community level work that I can do.

I would like to apply to: Minnesota, Columbia, GWU, Berkley, BU, and NYU. I was considering UMass or UMD as well. Let me know what you all think. Thanks again!

hi all! i am applying for mph programs in epidemiology (specifically infectious disease epi) for Fall 2013, and i'm trying to gauge my chances of getting in.

Info:
~ graduated from a top 20 university with a major in psychology and minor in public health
~ gpa 3.58, major gpa 3.84 (graduated in 3 years so wasn't able to take a lot of classes to pad my gpa)
~ GRE scores: 164 V, 167 Q, 5.0 W
~ last summer had an internship with the CDC
~ am spending a year working on a smoking cessation study while i apply to schools
~ 1 conference presentation
~ lots of leadership experience
~ will be getting LOR from a public health professor, my supervisor last summer at the CDC, and my current supervisor

i want to apply to hopkins (mhs), columbia, ut houston, berkeley, emory, and bu. do you guys think i have a good chance at any of them?

thanks for your help!

How much do the Analytical writing scores mean?

Obviously the Verbal and Quantitative sections are what compromises your score, but do schools even look at the writing score?

How rare is a 6.0?

Hello all,
I will be applying this fall for admission into fall MPH 2013 class. My gpa should be a 3.4 when applying but I still need to take my gre. Thats where I'm conflicted, I'm taking them this august but will probably have to retake them because my practice test scores have been low. When is the last possible time to take the gre before the deadline for jan 1st? I dont want to wait 1 year.
other info:
Research experience:
-1 yr in Bio, Genetics lab
-1 health discipline lab
- starting diabetes research this fall

Hey everyone!

I'm going to be graduating in August with two degrees, and I plan on going to graduate school in 2013. I'm looking into schools, and so far, I'm most interested in Yale, Boston University, Tulane, Emory, Columbia, and Drexel. I'd like to study Epidemiology, focusing on chronic diseases.

-B.S. in Public Health (3.9 GPA)
-B.A. in Gerontology (3.9 GPA)
-Cumulative GPA 3.44
-1 year research assistant with cancer pain management
-internship done at local Health Department doing HIV/AIDS Surveillance
-presented poster at Society of Behavioral Medicine, Cancer Center, and Undergraduate Research and Arts Colloquium conferences
-in Sigma Phi Omega (Gerontology honor society), and some other clubs
-153V, 147Q, 4.5A GRE scores
-volunteering at local hospice for <1 year
-work in hospital doing sterile processing, was coordinator for a year
-my letters of recommendation will come from: the director of undergraduate public health studies at my school, and two professors from gerontology that I work for as a research assistant

I feel like my GRE scores aren't high enough, and worried that my GPA won't be high enough for the schools I want to apply to. Any reassurance/suggestions would be appreciated!!

Last edited:
Hey guys,
I am currently studying Biotech Engineering at reputed college in Mumbai, India.
My undergrad GPA is between a 3.2 to a 3.4 right now ( We don't have a GPA system here)

GRE score 317 / 340 ( 160 Q 157 V 4.0 AWA )

I have been the event coordinator and Public Relations Officer of the Computer Society of India at my college for 2 consecutive years.
I am currently the campus ambassador of Teach for India at my college.
I have volunteered 200+ hours with the Lions Club in organizing medical camps in and around Mumbai.

I am looking to pursue my Masters in Health Administration .. This is the list of colleges I am looking at right now
Cornell
John Hopkins
Georgetown
Ohio State University
University of Pittsburgh
Penn State
University of Southern California

I have heard admission into MHA is competitive.
So what are my chances? please advise .. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
so I've been lurking these forms for what seems like forever , and luckily its almost that time to apply! yay:D

Anyway, I am ALLLLL over the map. If you read my previous and only post here on the forums, I am the first to ever go to college in my family, and I'm really trying to figure all this mumbo jumbo out.

I am a bit all over the map when it comes to volunteer and work experience however I'm trying to find relevant programs to my interests which is Global Health. I switched from a being a community health (CH) major, to Health services admin (HSA) because 1.) there were basically the same classes except now, I am taking accounting and management courses and 2) it may be easier to find a job with HSA degree post grad than CH. Additionally I am taking courses such as Adv Epi, and program planning which would traditionally be for CH majors.

I'm not really sure what kinds of schools I'd even be competitive for, or if any of my experiance has any relevance, any input would greatly be appreciated.
so heres a bit about my stats and about me below:

current GPA : 3.90
GRE: need to take
Major: Health services administration
Minor: biological sciences and environmental health
extracurriculars: VP of the GLASS (gay lesbian and straight supporter club)
1 year serving as student health advocate at Rutgers University . Founder of low vision advocacy group, member of a respected international low vision advocacy group (also I am a frequent guest on the podcast), Founder of a public health advocacy group in Appalachia aimed to reach at risk youth. Founder of community outreach group at my current college. I have also actively participated in meetings for program development at the local health department.

Volunteer work: 2 summers abroad in Latin america researching Chagas disease. In December I will be traveling with an NGO to Kabul, Afghanistan to be apart of a health education effort.

About me: I have a genetic retinal disorder that has left me visually impaired, additionally I also have Hydrocephalus. I am also first generation college student. I am Mexican-American.

Languages: Fluent in Spanish, and French

Awards and Acknowledgments: I received a medical missions scholarship by the Baptist medical and dental fellowship, and was among one of the 30 women to be chosen for a workshop to empower women this year for the program at Ohio State University called New Leadership Ohio.

Additionally, I have worked with developmentally delayed, have CNA certifications, and am working on obtaining a Diploma in Public health from the Institute of International Medicine in Kansas City (I've also have frequented their conferences)

anyone?

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I have a few questions about pursing a MPH in the US.
I am Swedish currently studying a BA in Arabic & Politics at a top 10 university in the UK. I will be starting my final year this fall. I have started to thinking about my plans after university and I am very interested in pursing a MPH and I am looking at schools in the UK and the US.
I guess I have a few questions in regards to the process here in the US. Basically what are my chances according to US students who are following the same path?

Grades: I will be graduating with a 2.1 (Upper second honors) which I'm sure doesn't mean a lot to most people but after doing some research I would say that when converted to the US GPA system it will fall between 3.3-3.6 (maybe 3.7) depending on my final score.
Thesis: I am writing my senior thesis on how occupation and conflict affects the health of women and girls (Case study: Palestinian women and public health issues that they face).
Year Abroad: Spent my year abroad in Syria studying Arabic.
Non-Academic: Varsity volleyball, Board member of community refugee support organization.
Volunteer experience: After high school I went to Thailand and worked with children and young adults with behavioral and mental health issues. I am currently volunteering at an orphanage in Bangkok. At university I volunteer for my local refugee agency.
GRE: Never taken a standardized test before, not very good at math at all. After some research 1000 seems to be the minimum recommended score for MPH.
Do you think that schools will be sympathetic over the fact that I have never been exposed to a standardized test before?
Work Experience: I have worked/done internships every summer since I was 17 so my CV is pretty good for being 22. However only one internship is directly linked with Public Health.
Post Uni plans: Apply to grad school, go to Jordan to study more Arabic for one semester, study & take the GREs, get an emergency response certificate & volunteer with either the Red Cross or a Sexual health awareness organization for one semester.

Here are the schools I have been looking at so far: BU, GWU, Yale, Columbia, Emory, Tulane... any other suggestiongs??

*Phew* Sorry for the long post and a big thank you to anyone who takes the time to read it and give me some advice. Feel free to PM me or reply here on the thread. :)

PS: I am looking to concentrate in international/global health, particularly interested in sexual health and the role of gender.

Last edited:
First, I think the difficulty here is getting answers from (primarily) folks who are in the same application process or mindset as you are. So, take my response with a grain of (kosher) salt.

You seem quite qualified, but you also did not ask specific questions. I can assume you are asking what your chances are in getting into a MPH program. This is the purpose of the thread, after all. However, it may be helpful to know which programs are you considering, what direction are you hoping to move to, how do you envision your professional and personal life, how do you think a MPH may facilitate those wishes, etc.

Having said that, I think Global Health or International MPH concentrations or tracks are quite competitive. This will vary across schools, obviously, as some require international experience, which can range from being born and raised abroad to working to the specific area of heath of interest, while others do not require such experiences, typically framing the concentration as a way to facilitate the international experience, whereas the former frames the concentration more as an enhancement of current extensive work into more leadership positions (e.g., Harvard). I highly suggest looking into the application sites of these programs, as I am sure you already are doing. Some will spell out what they are looking for or will clarify exactly what to them is a "successful" applicant.

French and Spanish are lingua franca. This will definitely serve you well. Good luck with the process!

Hello all,
I will be applying this fall for admission into fall MPH 2013 class. My gpa should be a 3.4 when applying but I still need to take my gre. Thats where I'm conflicted, I'm taking them this august but will probably have to retake them because my practice test scores have been low. When is the last possible time to take the gre before the deadline for jan 1st? I dont want to wait 1 year.
other info:
Research experience:
-1 yr in Bio, Genetics lab
-1 health discipline lab
- starting diabetes research this fall
Look at the GRE site and see how long it takes them to forward the scores. If you are taking the computerized version of the test, I would assume that would take to arrive sooner than if you took the paper test.

I think many schools would say to take it as "early as possible" as it takes about 6 weeks for the scores to arrive to the schools. If you are looking at January 1st deadlines, then I would imagine mid-November is the absolute latest you would take the test. (Things are just slow around the holidays, too, I would imagine.) However, since it is highly recommended that applications be competed well before the deadline, then you would need to factor this in into the timeline.

Good luck with the process!

Hey everyone!

I'm going to be graduating in August with two degrees, and I plan on going to graduate school in 2013. I'm looking into schools, and so far, I'm most interested in Yale, Boston University, Tulane, Emory, Columbia, and Drexel. I'd like to study Epidemiology, focusing on chronic diseases.

-B.S. in Public Health (3.9 GPA)
-B.A. in Gerontology (3.9 GPA)
-Cumulative GPA 3.44
-1 year research assistant with cancer pain management
-internship done at local Health Department doing HIV/AIDS Surveillance
-presented poster at Society of Behavioral Medicine, Cancer Center, and Undergraduate Research and Arts Colloquium conferences
-in Sigma Phi Omega (Gerontology honor society), and some other clubs
-153V, 147Q, 4.5A GRE scores
-volunteering at local hospice for <1 year
-work in hospital doing sterile processing, was coordinator for a year
-my letters of recommendation will come from: the director of undergraduate public health studies at my school, and two professors from gerontology that I work for as a research assistant

I feel like my GRE scores aren't high enough, and worried that my GPA won't be high enough for the schools I want to apply to. Any reassurance/suggestions would be appreciated!!
Were your research responsibilities largely clinical or statistical/analytical? Did you take advanced level statistics or other high-level math? If so, how did you do? If not, how are your math grades in general? Lastly, I would look into U of Wash; it has a strong epidemiology program. Good luck with the application!

Any advice on how I can increase my chances for this cycle?

Applying only to:
Yale MPH Healthcare Management
Columbia MPH Healthcare Management (Part-time)
Harvard SD2 Healthcare Management [or possible SD2 Epi: Epi of Aging]
JHU MPH

Undergrad:
GPA: 3.45
Degree: Neuroscience

Experience:
- 3 years as a Clinical Research Coordinator
- 2 (of the 3 above) years spent managing Research Assistants and Junior CRCs
- 1 first authored publication
- 3 poster presentations at international and national conferences
- Volunteer with Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation, Healthcare for the Homeless and serving meals weekly at a soup kitchen, on and off for 3 years
- 1 year as a Research Assistant in genealogy
- 1 year as a Biology and English peer-tutor

GRE: Not taken yet, studying currently, but not the greatest test taker. Will take in late August/early Sept - is this too late?

What can I do to improve my app and what are my chances for these schools?
I am taking the GRE's in October for December deadlines. I am confident it will not be too late. I have yet to study for it and do not plan to until August. I am not about to bring GRE study guides while on vacation in Europe :)

hey guys, i was wondering whether or not i should even bother applying this coming round given my crappy stats

cumulative GPA: 3.1
lasts 90 quarter units GPA: 3.4 (or 3.1 if counting 2 NP's from classes i randomly chose to sit in)
GRE: on practice tests avg. 1300 / even split between Q/V

Humanities major, although started as Engineering - basically cleared most of the pre-reqs: multivar math, classical physics and the like.

no healthcare related experience yet. looking into volunteering cause my major isn't entirely helpful when it comes to health related jobs/internships: open to suggestions.
may also take continuing ed classes: again open to suggestions as to which ones would be particularly helpful.

UCLA would be a dream though its probably way beyond reach lol

thanks all

hey guys, i was wondering whether or not i should even bother applying this coming round given my crappy stats

cumulative GPA: 3.1
lasts 90 quarter units GPA: 3.4 (or 3.1 if counting 2 NP's from classes i randomly chose to sit in)
GRE: on practice tests avg. 1300 / even split between Q/V

Humanities major, although started as Engineering - basically cleared most of the pre-reqs: multivar math, classical physics and the like.

no healthcare related experience yet. looking into volunteering cause my major isn't entirely helpful when it comes to health related jobs/internships: open to suggestions.
may also take continuing ed classes: again open to suggestions as to which ones would be particularly helpful.

UCLA would be a dream though its probably way beyond reach lol

thanks all

What area of public health are you interested in pursuing a degree in? Just from first glance I think it'd be difficult for someone to figure out why a degree in public health is what you're interested in, can you clue us in? Your stats are probably lower side of average, but as you'll undoubtedly see on this board the application process is holistic and highly contigent on why you think a particular program is right for you.

What area of public health are you interested in pursuing a degree in? Just from first glance I think it'd be difficult for someone to figure out why a degree in public health is what you're interested in, can you clue us in? Your stats are probably lower side of average, but as you'll undoubtedly see on this board the application process is holistic and highly contigent on why you think a particular program is right for you.

The field that I want to pursue is health services or management. I suppose I should have been more specific: the humanities major i received in UCI is in ethnic studies - a good chunk of which focuses on historic disenfranchisement and socio-econmic disparities and the like. As far as public health is concerned, my motivations lie in availability of health services as well as in health issues "unique" to anyone particular group. I suppose my interest are well into the social and behavioral sciences side of the programs and of course from a health policy angle to address those issues.

I understand my interest lean more towards MHA's as opposed to MPH's which is why I mentioned UCLA because of their specialization in health services.

Hello- I am considering the following California state schools, but open to suggestions for other quality programs to apply to on the west coast. Also considering doing a joint MSW/MPH meaning I would apply to the MSW first.

Applying To:
ULCA
UC Berkeley
UC San Diego

Undergrad:
3.2 GPA / Psychology

GRE:
154 Verbal / 155 Quant / 4 Writing

Experience:
2 Years Supervisory Experience (Group Home- Mental Health & DD)
2.5 Years Teaching Adults with Developmental Disabilities - Day Program Services
1 Year Research Study- Researcher/Observer (Ball State University)
1 Year Volunteer at Free Clinic (Grants & Fundraising)

LOR:
Most likely going to two VERY strong letters by previous CEO, Administrator, and I deciding on the my third. Both have relevant master degrees. Any suggestions on the my 3rd? I can do a professor that barely remembers me (its been 8 years), A supervisor that had limited contact (BSU) , or the long time friend who is a doctor card.

Hello- I am considering the following California state schools, but open to suggestions for other quality programs to apply to on the west coast. Also considering doing a joint MSW/MPH meaning I would apply to the MSW first.

Applying To:
ULCA
UC Berkeley
UC San Diego

Undergrad:
3.2 GPA / Psychology

GRE:
154 Verbal / 155 Quant / 4 Writing

Experience:
2 Years Supervisory Experience (Group Home- Mental Health & DD)
2.5 Years Teaching Adults with Developmental Disabilities - Day Program Services
1 Year Research Study- Researcher/Observer (Ball State University)
1 Year Volunteer at Free Clinic (Grants & Fundraising)

LOR:
Most likely going to two VERY strong letters by previous CEO, Administrator, and I deciding on the my third. Both have relevant master degrees. Any suggestions on the my 3rd? I can do a professor that barely remembers me (its been 8 years), A supervisor that had limited contact (BSU) , or the long time friend who is a doctor card.
If you are several years out of school, then I would not risk asking a professor who barely knows you and therefore cannot fully reflect your strengths. Also, I do not think friends, whatever their professional role or advanced degree, are appropriate for LORs. Some programs will explicitly say so. I can see how a friend may be acceptable provided he/she had a direct supervisory role - and, as a perk, your relationship developed into a friendship. I would imagine, however, that that friend would also be able to have the professional boundary to adequately and professionally comment on your strengths and potential for graduate studies. I think programs are understanding when they read applications from folks who have not been in school for quite some time - and therefore, may not always have accessible to them academic LORs.

I am from California myself, originally from SoCal but went to graduate school in NorCal. However, I live in the East Coast now. Can you clarify which areas of social work and public health you are interested in pursuing? Are you wanting to do clinical social work? Berkeley has an excellent social work program - and frankly, so is their MPH. By West Coast did you mean California or West Coast in general, because U of Washington has a strong MPH program, as well.

Well I recently applied to the University of New England and New York Medical College for their MHP online program. I currently have a GPA of 3.48, so what would be my chances? Are these schools fairly easy to get in? Thank you!

Well I recently applied to the University of New England and New York Medical College for their MHP online program. I currently have a GPA of 3.48, so what would be my chances? Are these schools fairly easy to get in? Thank you!

Hey Dragon,

Can you give us a better glimpse into your application?

GRE Scores---Major---EC's--You view on if your PS is strong?

There is also a 'what are my chances' thread at the very top of the forum, if you would like some sort of comparison since others have asked and received responses. Good luck!

Well I recently applied to the University of New England and New York Medical College for their MHP online program. I currently have a GPA of 3.48, so what would be my chances? Are these schools fairly easy to get in? Thank you!:confused:

The two graduate schools I applied to do not require a GRE, personal statement is strong, resume is ok, letter of recommendation are ok, and GPA is almost a 3.5.

If you are several years out of school, then I would not risk asking a professor who barely knows you and therefore cannot fully reflect your strengths. Also, I do not think friends, whatever their professional role or advanced degree, are appropriate for LORs. Some programs will explicitly say so. I can see how a friend may be acceptable provided he/she had a direct supervisory role - and, as a perk, your relationship developed into a friendship. I would imagine, however, that that friend would also be able to have the professional boundary to adequately and professionally comment on your strengths and potential for graduate studies. I think programs are understanding when they read applications from folks who have not been in school for quite some time - and therefore, may not always have accessible to them academic LORs.

I am from California myself, originally from SoCal but went to graduate school in NorCal. However, I live in the East Coast now. Can you clarify which areas of social work and public health you are interested in pursuing? Are you wanting to do clinical social work? Berkeley has an excellent social work program - and frankly, so is their MPH. By West Coast did you mean California or West Coast in general, because U of Washington has a strong MPH program, as well.

Thanks for the input, I just really want a strong 3rd Letter. I might have a someone else that I connect with through my current job that could turn into something by the time fall comes around. Both my gpa & gre are not exceptional, but I feel my success at work is.

My focus is going to be the management/planning side of the msw and then aging for public health. What I like most about doing both degrees is the options I might have upon graduation or in even 10 years.

I am looking specifically in California as I just established residency, but I will look into UofW for sure.

Thinking of applying for Epi PhD programs anywhere with folks working in vaccines or other form of ID research for fall 2013.

BS Microbiology, University of Michigan Ann Arbor
GPA 3.1
MSPH Epidemiology, UAB
GPA 4.0 through ~30 credits, with a couple microbio PhD courses

GRE: From four years ago, 680 Quant, 600 Verbal, 4.0 AW, scheduled to take again in August

Research: Some work in a microbio lab during undergrad, research assistant at the UAB DEM and at the Center for Injury Sciences doing various statistical analysis projects. Two studies submitted for publication in the last week or so to journal with IF~4 (second author, performed analysis and did some writing). Will hopefully have a vaccine study done by fall (first author) and a thesis as well. A couple posters/awards (first author).

Applying: BU, Pitt, Colorado-Denver, Iowa, UAB, UIC, Umich*, Penn*, Yale* (*reaching for the stars here)

Assuming I perform better in the quantitative, I'm wondering if what I've done since undergrad would help me to overcome poor performance. Especially somewhere like Yale's EMD program, which sounds phenomenal and right up my ally.

Any input or recommendations for other schools with a strong vaccine/ID focus?

Anyone with any input?? Would really appreciate it.:)

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I have a few questions about pursing a MPH in the US.
I am Swedish currently studying a BA in Arabic & Politics at a top 10 university in the UK. I will be starting my final year this fall. I have started to thinking about my plans after university and I am very interested in pursing a MPH and I am looking at schools in the UK and the US.
I guess I have a few questions in regards to the process here in the US. Basically what are my chances according to US students who are following the same path?

Grades: I will be graduating with a 2.1 (Upper second honors) which I'm sure doesn't mean a lot to most people but after doing some research I would say that when converted to the US GPA system it will fall between 3.3-3.6 (maybe 3.7) depending on my final score.
Thesis: I am writing my senior thesis on how occupation and conflict affects the health of women and girls (Case study: Palestinian women and public health issues that they face).
Year Abroad: Spent my year abroad in Syria studying Arabic.
Non-Academic: Varsity volleyball, Board member of community refugee support organization.
Volunteer experience: After high school I went to Thailand and worked with children and young adults with behavioral and mental health issues. I am currently volunteering at an orphanage in Bangkok. At university I volunteer for my local refugee agency.
GRE: Never taken a standardized test before, not very good at math at all. After some research 1000 seems to be the minimum recommended score for MPH.
Do you think that schools will be sympathetic over the fact that I have never been exposed to a standardized test before?
Work Experience: I have worked/done internships every summer since I was 17 so my CV is pretty good for being 22. However only one internship is directly linked with Public Health.
Post Uni plans: Apply to grad school, go to Jordan to study more Arabic for one semester, study & take the GREs, get an emergency response certificate & volunteer with either the Red Cross or a Sexual health awareness organization for one semester.

Here are the schools I have been looking at so far: BU, GWU, Yale, Columbia, Emory, Tulane... any other suggestiongs??

*Phew* Sorry for the long post and a big thank you to anyone who takes the time to read it and give me some advice. Feel free to PM me or reply here on the thread. :)

PS: I am looking to concentrate in international/global health, particularly interested in sexual health and the role of gender.

Please see my responses below.

Hello everyone,

I guess I have a few questions in regards to the process here in the US. Basically what are my chances according to US students who are following the same path? Overall, I think your chances are good. It seems that you have strong credentials particularly in the area you want to address. Sex, sexuality, and gender issues are "up and coming" topics right now in areas of public health, and I think you are right to be part of that wave.

Grades: I will be graduating with a 2.1 (Upper second honors) which I'm sure doesn't mean a lot to most people but after doing some research I would say that when converted to the US GPA system it will fall between 3.3-3.6 (maybe 3.7) depending on my final score. Anything in the 3.5 and above area is good, I think.
Thesis: I am writing my senior thesis on how occupation and conflict affects the health of women and girls (Case study: Palestinian women and public health issues that they face). Again, I think this is a wonderful topic. Also, many U.S. undergraduate programs do not require a thesis. I think your case study will show your ability to not only write on an important issue but also think critically and analytically.
Year Abroad: Spent my year abroad in Syria studying Arabic. Foreign language skills is always always a plus, particularly if studied abroad. I would encourage you to be more specific in your CV about your ability (beginner, intermediate, fluent, etc.). If you are able to take a known, established foreign-language test, that may be to your benefit, but this is merely icing on the cake. I imagine it is sufficient for admissions folks to take your word on your CV.
Non-Academic: Varsity volleyball, Board member of community refugee support organization. Again, another strong skills area, showing potential for leadership.
Volunteer experience: After high school I went to Thailand and worked with children and young adults with behavioral and mental health issues. I am currently volunteering at an orphanage in Bangkok. At university I volunteer for my local refugee agency. International volunteer experience abroad is always excellent.
Do you think that schools will be sympathetic over the fact that I have never been exposed to a standardized test before? I would imagine that more knowledgable admissions offices may have some understanding of your country's school system, including that perhaps standardized testing is not common. (I am totally guessing.) Since many schools do require an exam, I highly encourage you to hit the ground running and studying for the exam - and in this case, the GREs. There may be other options for international students, but the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is the most common graduate admissions exam here in the State.
Work Experience: I have worked/done internships every summer since I was 17 so my CV is pretty good for being 22. However only one internship is directly linked with Public Health. While it is advantageous to do work related to public health, I am a firm believer that anything health related is public health related. In addition, given your international experience and academic background, I think you are well positioned to be in a MPH program.
Post Uni plans: Apply to grad school, go to Jordan to study more Arabic for one semester, study & take the GREs, get an emergency response certificate & volunteer with either the Red Cross or a Sexual health awareness organization for one semester. Many programs will write 2-3 questions on what they expect applicants to write about on the Statement of Purpose. I would comment somewhere in your application what your plans are in the immediate future so that they can get a sense of how seriously you are taking this.

Here are the schools I have been looking at so far: BU, GWU, Yale, Columbia, Emory, Tulane... any other suggestiongs?? I think this is a great list. I would also look into Johns Hopkins School of Public Health. The challenge here, all things being equal, is if you are able to start in June (where as most other U.S. schools start in late August/early September). If you are amenable to other areas of the States, I would add the U of Michigan, UC Berkeley, and UCLA - all have strong international/global health programs.

Good luck with the process. I myself am applying to the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. :D

So, here is the same question that many have asked, but any help would be much appreciated!
I am hoping to start an MPH program in 2013. Maybe Colombia, George Washington, Alabama or Maryland (back up). Though, honestly I have not figured out the exact schools yet.
I have a degree in History and Languages from UC Santa Cruz in 2006, with a 3.5 GPA. I haven't taken the GRE yet, but I took a practice test and scored in the 90th percentile in verbal and about 60th in math (must raise that!).
I used to work for big tobacco, then I sort of saw the light. I went traveling, round about ended up setting up my own outpatient care system here in Russia. It didn't really exist at all here before and the idea was about as foreign as sunshine in January. Anyhow, its volunteer work not paid but it does give me two years of international volunteer work.
So... finally... am I a good canidate with a 3.5 GPA, two years of international experience (plus 3 years working for the dark side)? I would hope to do health education or health policy.
Thanks so much!

Hi, as the application cycle draws closer, I'm looking for feedback to help me out. I'm interested in Health Policy and Management specifically. If it is of any significance, I'm an under-represented minority. Here are my stats

Undergrad: Top 10 research university
GPA: 3.4 - (Upward trend - 3.1 freshman year, 3.4 sophomore year and 3.7 junior year)
Major: English (3.72 GPA)
Certificate: Global Health (3.68 GPA)
GRE: I'm currently studying for this test. I expect to test in the 70-85 percentile for each section.
Reference from: 2 Global health professors and my supervisor from a health policy internship
Health Related Experience: Health Policy internship for 2 months, Global health fieldwork for a few months, Mental health research experience, Student Global AIDS Campaign. Potential research position between now and when I apply
Unrelated Experience: Work-study position in security, Public affairs internship at prominent media company
Schools I'm applying to: Columbia, University of Michigan, University of Minnesota, Boston University.

I just want to know if I'm competitive. I won't have any full-time work experience so that puts me at a disadvantage already. Is there any advice you guys can give me? I'm hoping to apply by early October; if I do this, when will I know if I've gotten accepted or not? Also what's the best resource for scholarships in public health/graduate studies in general?

Sorry I see there is a format for how to post on here. So let me repost my question.

What kind of schools might find me an atractive candidate?

Undergrad: Top 50 research University (UC - Santa Cruz)
GPA: 3.5
Major: History and Language Studies
GRE: I have only taken a practice test, but I scored 90th percentile on verbal and 60th on math (working on that!!!)
References: 2 from old professors and 1 from the head of a major hospital in Moscow
Health Related Experience: I founded and run a volunteer outpatient care ward here in Moscow (Russia not Idaho!) I also helped destroy health by working for RJ Reynolds for two years when I was younger ( joking but true!)
Unrelated Experence: Owned my own business in Bulgaria, worked as sales executive for RJ Reynolds.
Schools I'm applying to: Columbia, Minnesota, George Washington, Alabama, USF, Texas A&M, Kentucky (last hope)
Type of MPH: I would like to do health in society or global health

I just want to know if I am competitive or I am kidding myself? Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks!

Last edited:
Overall, I think you have an excellent chance across the programs you mentioned. Here is some caveat:

Sorry I see there is a format for how to post on here. So let me repost my question.

What kind of schools might find me an atractive candidate?

Undergrad: Top 50 research University (UC - Santa Cruz) Go UCSC! I graduated from Stanford. Woohoo, NorCal! I know UCSC is a great school.
GPA: 3.5 Anything in the 3.5 or higher is great, I think.
Major: History and Language Studies As a general, I do not think MPH programs focus on what major(s) you did in college. However, they do look at your performance on quantitative qualities (e.g., statistics, calculus, etc.). This is particularly true for quantitative tracks (e.g., epidemiology).
GRE: I have only taken a practice test, but I scored 90th percentile on verbal and 60th on math (working on that!!!) I am sure you can get the score higher. Practice practice practice!
References: 2 from old professors and 1 from the head of a major hospital in Moscow
Health Related Experience: I founded and run a volunteer outpatient care ward here in Moscow (Russia not Idaho!) I also helped destroy health by working for RJ Reynolds for two years when I was younger ( joking but true!)
Unrelated Experence: Owned my own business in Bulgaria, worked as sales executive for RJ Reynolds. I think your experience is great fodder for a strong narrative in the admissions essay/statement of purpose. International experience is always a plus give your interest in global health. Running your own business shows initiative, analytical skills, and strong character. You could easily work this into both your essay as well as your MPH studies.
Schools I'm applying to: Columbia, Minnesota, George Washington, Alabama, USF, Texas A&M, Kentucky (last hope) I have to admit that I only really know Columbia's program. I cannot comment on the others. The Global Health track at Columbia "prefers" an applicant with at least 1 year of international experience. You have that in the bag. I think you have a good chance at Columbia. I would also recommend looking at other programs with strong global focus: U of Michigan, Johns Hopkins, UNC. I am guessing you do not have a doctorate or some other advanced degree because Harvard is not far-fetched.
Type of MPH: I would like to do health in society or global health

I just want to know if I am competitive or I am kidding myself? Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks!

Good luck!

Sorry for posting in the wrong places and not using proper format before..

Undergrad: CU
GPA: 2.5 - (Severe Documented Learning Disabilities)
Major: Sociology
GRE: 77% verbal, 39% Quantitative, 73% writing
Reference from: Peace Corps Country Director, Current public health volunteer supervisor, State senator,
Health Related Experience: two years working in a refugee village teaching varied public health topics to all ages. HIV/AIDS awareness programs in Armenia. WFP Armenia.
Unrelated Experience: traveled to 27+ countries, intermediate Armenian and Turkish language proficiency
Schools I'm applying to: Tulane, Columbia, any school with a global health program

Will admissions take into consideration my learning disabilities, work experience, somewhat decent GRE score, and a few stellar recommendations over my low undergrad GPA?

Last edited:
Thanks to porkbunsrule for the feedback! I really appreciate you taking the time. I will look into UNC too. I looked at Hopkins but I don't have enough of a biological background to fit their requirments.
Thanks again!

Last edited:
Anyone else have any advice????????????????

Any advice on how I can increase my chances for this cycle?

Applying only to:
Yale MPH Healthcare Management
Columbia MPH Healthcare Management (Part-time)
Harvard SD2 Healthcare Management [or possible SD2 Epi: Epi of Aging]
JHU MPH

Undergrad:
GPA: 3.45
Degree: Neuroscience

Experience:
- 3 years as a Clinical Research Coordinator
- 2 (of the 3 above) years spent managing Research Assistants and Junior CRCs
- 1 first authored publication
- 3 poster presentations at international and national conferences
- Volunteer with Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation, Healthcare for the Homeless and serving meals weekly at a soup kitchen, on and off for 3 years
- 1 year as a Research Assistant in genealogy
- 1 year as a Biology and English peer-tutor

GRE: Not taken yet, studying currently, but not the greatest test taker. Will take in late August/early Sept - is this too late?

Your stats on paper look strong. I'm not sure how quickly GRE scores are released after testing this year, but if it's faster than when I took it in August 2011 (2 months), that time frame should be fine for submitting applications. You can e-submit for SOPHAS before your scores are in, I believe, and that allows things like GPA calculations by SOPHAS to be done before the crush of applications that flood SOPHAS before early deadline schools.

Hi there! I'm going to be applying this fall and I'm fairly new at this so i'd appreciate any advice you can give me.

GPA: 3.33
Degree: Integrative Biology
GRE: V: 162 (640) 90% Q: 156 (720) 74%

Experience:
No research. Nothing paid. Just a vast amount of volunteer experiences and initiatives.

I'm not worried too much about my experiences - I feel that I have enough experiences that have greatly motivated me to work in Public Health and I am confident I can express this.
What i'm worried about are my stats above - my GPA and GRE. I'm afraid my GPA is too low for the programs I want.

Applying to: Infectious Disease or Global Health Programs in
Emory, Yale, UPitt, BU, Columbia, UC Berkeley, Brown

help :)

For ID programs (e.g. immunology/virology, molecular biology, ID epi, etc.) I would say that GPA/GRE may be scrutinized more carefully than in Global Health programs that place more emphasis on experience, just because the averages for ID tend to be higher. For the programs you listed, the only one that jumps out might be UC Berkeley ID, which if I remember correctly had 3.6+ for GPA being its median (it's also a fairly small cohort). Your GRE puts you in the running, so I see no reason to rule anything out.

Hi everyone!

I am just trying to gauge how difficult it is going to be for me to get into MPH Epidemiology programs given that I do not have a lot of college coursework in mathematics or hard sciences. My basic stats are below:

Undergrad: Top 30 research university (Tufts)
GPA: 3.88
Major: Community Health and Sociology double major
GRE: I have yet to take it and I am guessing my quantitative scores are going to be important given I am applying for Epi programs. I know it is basically unrelated, but I did manage a 750 on the math portion of the SAT in high school
References: 2 from MDs at the hospital I currently work at - I work for them directly. 1 from a community health professor at college.
Health Related Experience: 6 month research assistant position working on a study to determine how Medicaid agencies and health insurers determine which services are covered under which circumstances. 1 year (at time of application; almost 2 years by fall 2013) experience working in an administrative role for 3 MDs at one of the top 5 cancer research hospitals in the country.
Unrelated Experience: 3 month internship working for an affordable housing non-profit; 4 month qualitative field research project in sociology.
Schools I'm applying to: Harvard, Columbia, BU, GWU, UIC. Maybe U Michigan and U Minnesota.
Concentration: Epidemiology

My concern is that given I did not major in bio or math during undergrad, or work in quantitative research (I did take intro epidemiology, environmental chem, intro calc, and quantitative research methods for sociology as an undergrad, but that's really it for math/hard science), my application will not be considered very highly by epi programs. That said, epi is definitely the area in which I want to continue my studies, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi everyone!

I am just trying to gauge how difficult it is going to be for me to get into MPH Epidemiology programs given that I do not have a lot of college coursework in mathematics or hard sciences. My basic stats are below:

Undergrad: Top 30 research university (Tufts)
GPA: 3.88
Major: Community Health and Sociology double major
GRE: I have yet to take it and I am guessing my quantitative scores are going to be important given I am applying for Epi programs. I know it is basically unrelated, but I did manage a 750 on the math portion of the SAT in high school
References: 2 from MDs at the hospital I currently work at - I work for them directly. 1 from a community health professor at college.
Health Related Experience: 6 month research assistant position working on a study to determine how Medicaid agencies and health insurers determine which services are covered under which circumstances. 1 year (at time of application; almost 2 years by fall 2013) experience working in an administrative role for 3 MDs at one of the top 5 cancer research hospitals in the country.
Unrelated Experience: 3 month internship working for an affordable housing non-profit; 4 month qualitative field research project in sociology.
Schools I'm applying to: Harvard, Columbia, BU, GWU, UIC. Maybe U Michigan and U Minnesota.
Concentration: Epidemiology

My concern is that given I did not major in bio or math during undergrad, or work in quantitative research (I did take intro epidemiology, environmental chem, intro calc, and quantitative research methods for sociology as an undergrad, but that's really it for math/hard science), my application will not be considered very highly by epi programs. That said, epi is definitely the area in which I want to continue my studies, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

If you performed well in the quantitative courses that you did take and produce a high quantitative GRE score, my opinion is that you would be a very competitive candidate in any top epidemiology masters program. You'd be very strong numbers wise, and I think you have a typical experience background for incoming students that won't limit you. Consider adding Yale, UC Berkeley, and Johns Hopkins ScM/MHS to your list.

Hey everyone,
I am about to graduate with my bachelor's in Molecular Bio (minor in Public Health) from a decent university. I have a 3.7 GPA and just took the GRE (158 verbal, 152 quantitative - not my greatest). I worked for credit in a neuroscience research lab for 4 semesters. I worked for pay in a USDA agricultural lab for a year and a half (full-time during summer/winter/spring breaks). I have volunteered in the hemophilia community for the past six years and had an internship with them through Bayer pharma this summer. I am continuing to work for a hemophilia organization this semester and well as participating in a national young adult program.
I just want get an idea for how likely I will be to get accepted into my top schools: JHU, Emory, BU, U of WA, Tulane, and GWU.
I am planning on applying for their Peace Corps Master's International programs in global health (hopefully with a concentration in epidemiology, if that is an option) MPH or MSPH, depending on the school. I am young and do not have any international experience, but I am hoping that will be a bit less necessary for the Peace Corps option.
What do you guys think? Should I re-take the GRE? I just want to be accepted into one of these!
Also, does anyone have any input as to who should I get letters from? Labs, hemophilia officials (national or local?), Bayer..?
Thanks!!

It's a little early for me to do this right now, but please hear me out!

I'm going to be a 3rd year Public Health Sciences major. Last year, I failed two courses and did badly in several others. I had gotten really sick but was not allowed to withdraw. I went from an almost 3.7 gpa to a 3.38. I failed an Ochem and a Bio class. Previously, my grades in Chem/Ochem were A's; likewise I had A/B in Bio until the failing period. Currently, I'm retaking the ochem class (and have an A in it so far). I think I can probably raise my grade back to a 3.5-3.6ish if I do well this year before applying to MPH/MSPH programs.

GRE: 1410 (I took it freshman year, so I don't remember the individual Q/V scores...I think it was 700+ Q and 600+ V)
Experience: Lab internship at BU, internship at BNHI (Bureau of National Health Insurance) in Taiwan, will have an internship later this year as well, working with a research group in the PH department.
Unrelated/EC's: academic advisor for my department, honour society board officer, member of two other public health/medicine-related clubs

Interested in - JHU, Harvard, UNC-Chapel Hill, UW, Emory, UCB, BU, Yale

I realize these are all the top programs, but do I have a shot? I really want to do a program in PH and have been looking through all the different programs. My dream is to work for WHO or an NGO abroad, and many programs have great field practice experience requirements. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Hey everybody! -Harry Caray

Here to gauge my chances like everyone else. Want to wish everyone the best of luck in the application process and future professional endeavors. Hopefully we can all enjoy the journey and appreciate the opportunity we are afforded an opportunity that very few have.

GRE: 1300 Total (forgot the splits), 4 Analytical Writing

Education/GPA: Economics from USF 2.87 cumulative GPA and 3.3 within major. This may or may not matter but during my first 2 years as a college student I struggled tremendously and was dismissed from school luckily I turned things around and graduated. This was mainly due to my inability to adjust to a full time work and school
schedule.

Experience: 8 years of work experience within a very succesful family business which I consider a second degree. Since graduating I have basically become a chief everything officer and gained valuable experience managing almost every aspect of the business. Unfortunately no volunteer work or internships to speak of due to my responsibilities to the business.

Plan on applying to: USF, Ohio State, Columbia, George Wash, Georgetown, UCLA, NYU, George Mason

Thanks and good luck everybody!

I want to encourage folks to look into the application thread from last year:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/show...php?p=12059938

It offers valuable information well into the swing of the application period. Some posted their "stats" (e.g., GRE scores, GPA, undergrad school, experience, etc.). There tends to be a lot of questions around "chances," so the thread may be helpful. Not exactly a direct correlation, not least of which is the increasing competitiveness of admissions across programs. It is a very useful thread nonetheless. Good luck! :)

***Some time in late October/early November I will start a similar thread. For now let's keep to this General thread.***

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some advice on if I should even bother with this whole process or if I am applying to too few schools. I am from California and not really wanting to leave the state so I am applying to LLU, USC, UCLA and SDSU. For all of these schools I would be applying for the health promotion/education track.

My stats:

Major: Psychology
Minor: Natural Science
GPA: Around a 3.0 ( Currently a senior so I am hoping to bring my grades up. Also I was on medical leave my freshman year and continued to suffer illness for awhile after that)
GRE: V:149 Q: 156 A:4.0

Volunteer:

-Planned Parenthood
-Receptionist at a hospital

Work:

-Currently working for American Red Cross teaching classes to different workplaces.
-I also am working on campus in the library doing administrative work.
-Worked at a company teaching people with learning disabilities how to use different computer applications
-Had an internship in a human resources department at a corporate company where I helped with the overall wellness and motivation of employees

Activities:
Member of Alpha Epsilon Delta (Pre-Health Honors Society)
Member of Habitat for Humanity Club
Held a position in my sorority

I know I have low stats and no research experience but do you think I should be applying to more schools??

I would appreciate any kind of advice! Thank you!