***The Official Midwestern-Arizona Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah at my interview Monday they said they will interview a few people next week that they've already invited and that's it. Sorry about the bad news!
Thank you but no worries at all, I was accepted to the Illinois program :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if I accept a seat at Arizona would that ruin my chance in getting an offer at the Illinois campus? I was waitlisted at Illinois and that’s my first choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone think they’ll update us tomorrow?

Just a word of advice to those that plan on attending - start looking at scholarships like HPSP and NHSC. The average cost of attendance is $100-120k/year now, with annual increases of 4-7%. Many of my classmates will be graduating with close to $500k in debt. For those graduating in 2023, I wouldn't be surprised if this will be closer to $550k. Remember, interest starts accruing from day 1. Your first year alone will cost you about $5k in interest. The second year will cost an additional $5k, plus an additional $5k builds up on the loan amount again from your first year. By the time you graduate, you will have $20k in interest from year 1, $15k from year 2, $10k from year 3 and $5 from year 4, for a grand total of $50k just in interest.
I have loved my time at the school, but you're going to be severely crippled by debt for a long time by attending. I'm trying to share this financial advice because a lot of people, my classmates included, don't think about this until they get close to graduation and then they're like "oh ****!"

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone hear anything today? Or have their portal updated?

Got a letter today saying I’m on the alternate list. Anyone else?

Got my interview invite this morning. Available dates 3/11 and 3/12.

Anyone know when students will have to accept spots? Or drop?

Anyone know when students will have to accept spots? Or drop?
If I remember correctly, April 1st is the date that schools receive a list of students with multiple deposits. There is typically some movement on the alternate lists around this time.

If I remember correctly, April 1st is the date that schools receive a list of students with multiple deposits. There is typically some movement on the alternate lists around this time.

That was March 5th. One of the moderators on here created a post about it. So students should have already dropped if they had multiple acceptances.

That was March 5th. One of the moderators on here created a post about it. So students should have already dropped if they had multiple acceptances.
Movement after that time is very minimal. Only would be due to extreme circumstances ex. death of a family member ect.

Members don't see this ad :)
Movement after that time is very minimal. Only would be due to extreme circumstances ex. death of a family member ect.

Or getting an acceptance to a program you were waitlisted at..

Strange, they told my group they were done interviewing. Haha, well hey congrats!
Im in their post bacc program and a bunch of us are also interviewing on those days. I was given those two options and also 3/14.

Does anyone know when they'll be sending new acceptances?

For current students, I think I read somewhere that we will get a discount code for FIGS scrubs is that true? also does it have to have the midwestern logo on it? thank you!

anyone know when they start calling people off the waitlist?

For current students, I think I read somewhere that we will get a discount code for FIGS scrubs is that true? also does it have to have the midwestern logo on it? thank you!
FIGS runs promotions from time to time, but I'm not sure if they give a discount specifically to Midwestern students. You can either wear the nametag the school provides or you can pay to have your scrub tops embroidered.

Got accepted yesterday! The phone call came from Dr. Pashayan. Soooooo stoked!

Congrats!! Did u receive a call before, asking if you’re still interested?

Nice!! I got the same call a week ago and still waiting!

Oh awesome! Just hold on! The class is full so they are filling seats one by one when someone drops; if you got that call, it’s just a matter of time when you’ll be accepted! Good luck!

Just a word of advice to those that plan on attending - start looking at scholarships like HPSP and NHSC. The average cost of attendance is $100-120k/year now, with annual increases of 4-7%. Many of my classmates will be graduating with close to $500k in debt. For those graduating in 2023, I wouldn't be surprised if this will be closer to $550k. Remember, interest starts accruing from day 1. Your first year alone will cost you about $5k in interest. The second year will cost an additional $5k, plus an additional $5k builds up on the loan amount again from your first year. By the time you graduate, you will have $20k in interest from year 1, $15k from year 2, $10k from year 3 and $5 from year 4, for a grand total of $50k just in interest.
I have loved my time at the school, but you're going to be severely crippled by debt for a long time by attending. I'm trying to share this financial advice because a lot of people, my classmates included, don't think about this until they get close to graduation and then they're like "oh ****!"
Why in the world would anyone go to this school??? Look at the tuition and tell me it’s worth 400k plus with growing interest to make 120 k if your lucky as general dentist lol.

Why in the world would anyone go to this school??? Look at the tuition and tell me it’s worth 400k plus with growing interest to make 120 k if your lucky as general dentist lol.

They are many ways to actually pay for loans and this is one of many options

Attachments

• 504C3250-A47C-4188-A1B5-72051518D091.png
    504C3250-A47C-4188-A1B5-72051518D091.png
    233.8 KB · Views: 198

There’s a lot of repayment options that can be used to make sense of it financially. Sure, young graduates might be poor for a little while paying it down but that’s their choice. Also, some people have spouses with great paying jobs too. My wife’s income alone will cover the student loan debt. Everyone’s situation is unique.

If you can get a scholarship to cover the costs then it's definitely worth it. The school offers an amazing amount of technology to work with and become adept at using, including CBCT, diode lasers, endo, placing implants, all on 4 cases, CAD/CAM and much more. Placing implants was the only thing that I really lacked going into my last quarter, but I've placed 2 this quarter and have another 14 scheduled in my last 4 weeks. You will learn a lot, but you have to be really determined to focus on your areas of interest. I'm going into the Army, but I know some of my classmates going into private practice have contracts with $600-800/day minimums. Making $180-200k straight out of school is not normal, but I believe this is easily doable with the types and amount of procedures we become proficient at. This will make it much easier to pay back your loans, but I still believe a scholarship is the best route.

Hey everyone, absolutely loved MWU but had to decline the offer. Goodluck to everyone on the waitlist, hope you hear soon!!

Update from the waitlist... I interviewed on February 12th (the last group to interview as far as I’m aware) and I just received an acceptance call today. This is my first choice, so I’m very excited to say yes!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys, I just got accepted last week. Since the student housing is already full, do you guys know if there is any housing page for accepted students?

Withdrew my application today! Best of luck to the people on the waitlist!

You should ask what do I get for my return of investment. If you ask any professional who understands the curriculum and what midwestern dental students are exposed to during their clinical years, you would find your answer. Just keep in mind that different schools offer different clinical education programs. In some schools you will graduate and probably attend a GPR year or spend thousands of dollars on CE courses to get the equivalent education you get here.
I know for a fact that I’ll graduate from midwestern with double digits in crowns, Endo, Prost, CAD/CAM design, milling and fabrication, extractions, Implants and their programs/CBCT, diode laser, CO2 laser etc.
when you graduate, your experience matters a lot to an employer and if you’re proficient, you’re ahead of the game. If you want to pick a cheaper route, that’s also a perfect choice. I love the people, the environment, the collaboration between students, the independence they give you and of course the weather.

Wish you all the best and again, dental school is an expensive education, so make sure you really want it and shadow.

Reactions: 1 users
For anyone who has withdrawn an acceptance here do you automatically receive the $100 refund or do you have to specifically request it in writing? Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.