***The Official UMKC School of Dentistry C/O 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
YOU GUYS!!!!!!! I got my interview invite on Friday!!!!!!!! There aren't words to describe my relief and excitement! I am the definition of a non-traditional student: 42 years old with a wife and 4 children, left my 16 year career in order to become a full time student and apply to dental school. The sacrifice looks to be paying off.

@KCpredent: Currently filling out the supplemental. Any advice? In your opinion, should I keep my answers to this mother of a supplemental short and sweet or be more detailed?
Congratulations on getting an Interview Invitation. There is this guy in our class that is 43, married with a baby girl. Another classmate of mine is 37, married, with 4 children. There are lots of non-traditional students at UMKC and I think it's really cool because it gives us a lot of different perspectives in the classroom. My advice for the supplemental application would be to be as thorough and honest as you can. Make sure the information from your AADSAS is the same on your supplemental, unless of course you have continued to do shadowing and community service since applying. Let me know if you guys have any other questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on getting an Interview Invitation. There is this guy in our class that is 43, married with a baby girl. Another classmate of mine is 37, married, with 4 children. There are lots of non-traditional students at UMKC and I think it's really cool because it gives us a lot of different perspectives in the classroom. My advice for the supplemental application would be to be as thorough and honest as you can. Make sure the information from your AADSAS is the same on your supplemental, unless of course you have continued to do shadowing and community service since applying. Let me know if you guys have any other questions!
Thank you so much for the insight. Yes, I am being as thorough as possible and making sure all information is 100% accurate. The dentists I have shadowed with always let me know when they have a really interesting case, it's fantastic. Thanks again for being so willing to help out, I'm sure there will be more questions as we progress.

YOU GUYS!!!!!!! I got my interview invite on Friday!!!!!!!! There aren't words to describe my relief and excitement! I am the definition of a non-traditional student: 42 years old with a wife and 4 children, left my 16 year career in order to become a full time student and apply to dental school. The sacrifice looks to be paying off.

@KCpredent: Currently filling out the supplemental. Any advice? In your opinion, should I keep my answers to this mother of a supplemental short and sweet or be more detailed?
Huge congratulations!
I am 32, married with 3 children and got my interview invite on Friday as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got my interview invite on August 30th. Congrats to all who received one as well!

@KCpredent do you think that I should send a letter of interest if I have not heard back yet? I applied August 7th
Look at the dates from past threads to see around what dates people are getting theirs. This may give you some sort of insight. Hope this helps!

@KCpredent do you think that I should send a letter of interest if I have not heard back yet? I applied August 7th
Just so you have another reference, I applied a couple weeks after AADSAS opened last year (so like mid June) and didn't get an interview invite until October 9th. I wouldn't sweat it, I know waiting sucks but it takes awhile for them to go through applications. I still don't think it would hurt if you wanted to write a letter of interest, it'll let them know you really are an interested applicant to their program!

Congrats to those who have already received interview invites! For those waiting to hear back, be patient, it's still extremely early in the process! We're all excited to have you guys visit UMKC very soon!

Attachments

• IMG_1563.jpg
    IMG_1563.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 130
Reactions: 1 users
Hey everybody. I submitted my app on August 25th. All of my evaluations and transcripts have been verified but I have not received anything from UMKC yet. I am getting worried.. Anyone else on the same boat?

Congrats to those who have already received interview invites! For those waiting to hear back, be patient, it's still extremely early in the process! We're all excited to have you guys visit UMKC very soon!

Mine is within two weeks!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everybody. I submitted my app on August 25th. All of my evaluations and transcripts have been verified but I have not received anything from UMKC yet. I am getting worried.. Anyone else on the same boat?
August 25th is fairly late to apply since the application was available in early June and the priority deadline was September 1st, so I would expect to not hear about an interview/supplemental until fairly late in the process as well, but you never know because (based on what I've read in these forums) admissions doesn't seem to review applications in the order they were received. I applied on the day the application became available in June and also have not heard back yet, so I really wouldn't worry at this point.

August 25th is fairly late to apply since the application was available in early June and the priority deadline was September 1st, so I would expect to not hear about an interview/supplemental until fairly late in the process as well, but you never know because (based on what I've read in these forums) admissions doesn't seem to review applications in the order they were received. I applied on the day the application became available in June and also have not heard back yet, so I really wouldn't worry at this point.
Yeah, it's really strange how they do things. Hopefully we hear back soon!

Anyone have any advice on how the interview is? Have mine on Monday!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any advice on how the interview is? Have mine on Monday!
Assuming they haven't changed anything between last cycle and this cycle, it's a whole day event. You'll have the chance to talk to professors and current students, shadow in the clinic, have lunch with current students, do some writing exercises, tour the school, and of course have your personal one-on-one interview. The interview is about 45 minutes long with a professor/faculty member. It's open file, so they have all your information from AADSAS and your supplemental right in front of them. The faculty member that interviewed me was very prepared and had already gone through all my files and had questions specific to me already prepared. This might not be the case though for all faculty members, so they have a standard set of questions they ask all interviewees. It's very chill and relaxed. It felt more like a conversation about why I wanted to be a Dentist rather than an interview. Last cycle they also asked me to sit for a 1 minute video recording for the admissions committee, so they can all get a sense of who you are and why you are pursuing dentistry as a career. My advice for the video is to just be yourself. It only has to be about a minute, so just remain calm, look into the camera lens, and tell them why you want to be a dentist and why you are interested in UMKC. I think that's basically everything. If anyone from this cycle has anything to add, feel free. Best of luck to everyone interviewing soon!

I am having a heck of a time with sending my Interview Application. I have it all neatly filled out on word, then when I attach it in the e-mail it adds some blank pages and some of the page cutoffs are different. I've tried everything and it's not staying the same.

Will they count that against me? I know the attachment could be opened in several formats, so there's no way to make it look perfect on every format, right? It's driving me insane. :(

Also, for those who have interviewed, how do they let you know of your acceptance/rejection? Did they give you a time frame?

I am having a heck of a time with sending my Interview Application. I have it all neatly filled out on word, then when I attach it in the e-mail it adds some blank pages and some of the page cutoffs are different. I've tried everything and it's not staying the same.

Will they count that against me? I know the attachment could be opened in several formats, so there's no way to make it look perfect on every format, right? It's driving me insane. :(

Also, for those who have interviewed, how do they let you know of your acceptance/rejection? Did they give you a time frame?

make a pdf file and send it. It should hold your template.

They aren't allowed to issue acceptances before Dec 1. They call your cell phone number or whatever number you listed on AADSAS. They also send an acceptance letter via email on Dec 1 and an acceptance package in the mail shortly there after. This is the same I'm sure for students accepted after Dec 1.

They aren't allowed to issue acceptances before Dec 1. They call your cell phone number or whatever number you listed on AADSAS. They also send an acceptance letter via email on Dec 1 and an acceptance package in the mail shortly there after. This is the same I'm sure for students accepted after Dec 1.
Thank you for responding. Wowza that feels like such a long ways away.....

Have you had your interview yet? If so, how did it go!?

I'm still patiently waiting for mine:whistle:

Have you had your interview yet? If so, how did it go!?

I'm still patiently waiting for mine:whistle:

I interview on the 5th! The patience that this process takes is overwhelmingly hard! How many schools have you applied to? Heard from anywhere else?

I interview on the 5th! The patience that this process takes is overwhelmingly hard! How many schools have you applied to? Heard from anywhere else?

Very hard! I actually got married this summer and my wife goes to graduate school in KC, so UMKC is the only dental school I applied to.. I haven't completely entered freak-out mode, but we'll see how October treats me if I don't hear anything soon! lol

Good luck on the interview. I look forward to hearing how it went

Hi Everyone!
I received my interview about a week ago :)! So nervous and excited at the same time... I was really surprised though because I had submitted my ADEA AADSAS application literally only 1 week before that. I had submitted the application after the preference September 1 date too, around September 8. They sent an email that they had received my application and to pay the $45 secondary app, but then sent me the interview invite 2 hours later. Is that common?

Hi Everyone!
I received my interview about a week ago :)! So nervous and excited at the same time... I was really surprised though because I had submitted my ADEA AADSAS application literally only 1 week before that. I had submitted the application after the preference September 1 date too, around September 8. They sent an email that they had received my application and to pay the $45 secondary app, but then sent me the interview invite 2 hours later. Is that common?
That seems very fast to me, but I'm not sure how they do things up there in student programs. You must be a very well qualified applicant! I wouldn't think too much into it. I applied in June shortly after AADSAS opened and did not receive an interview invite until mid October. Don't stress guys, it's still very early in the process!

Sheesh, this supplemental is a doozy

Very hard! I actually got married this summer and my wife goes to graduate school in KC, so UMKC is the only dental school I applied to.. I haven't completely entered freak-out mode, but we'll see how October treats me if I don't hear anything soon! lol

Good luck on the interview. I look forward to hearing how it went
Fingers crossed for you!

Anyone else already planning for next cycle #Maybe3rdtimesthecharm

Fingers crossed for you!

I got an interview!! I'm scheduled on the 15th, & I'm so nervous already! Anyone else ready for December 1st already? lol

Reactions: 3 users
I got an interview!! I'm scheduled on the 15th, & I'm so nervous already! Anyone else ready for December 1st already? lol
I'm still not entirely sure if acceptances go out on Saturday the 1st or Monday the 3rd

To be fair, you did only apply to one school this cycle. Its not too late to apply to a few more!

I am aware. I also know that Dental School is going to cost 400K plus if I went out of state or a private school. As bad as I want to be a Dentist I don't want to be a poor Dentist. If money weren't an option I would apply to like 15 schools. :/

Any last minute interview tips? My interview is tomorrow.. getting a little nervous.
People at my interview said it was the basic interview questions with some being from the supplemental. My interviewer went completely off track and we talked about random stuff so I didn't have to deal with that lol.

Anyone else that has been, have advice about the interview? I'm getting super nervous...

Anyone else that has been, have advice about the interview? I'm getting super nervous...
There is absolutely nothing to be nervous about, really. Everything about my interview was a great experience and it was very relaxed. Just be familiar with your supplemental and you'll do fantastic.

I'm still not entirely sure if acceptances go out on Saturday the 1st or Monday the 3rd
Let us know how your interview on Monday goes. Rooting for you! (Also, I was told that all dental schools have agreed that all acceptances will start on Dec 3.)

Let us know how your interview on Monday goes. Rooting for you! (Also, I was told that all dental schools have agreed that all acceptances will start on Dec 3.)

Thanks!! I’ve heard nothing but good things about the interview. I’m much more excited than nervous now. I’m assuming all the guys wore suits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone else not wait for December? I seriously can not stop thinking about the day and wondering whether I’ll be accepted or not haha anyone else?

Thanks!! I’ve heard nothing but good things about the interview. I’m much more excited than nervous now. I’m assuming all the guys wore suits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. All advice is to dress conservatively. Definitely wear a black, navy or grey suit.

Hey all first post on here! Are there any other reserved admissions students out there? If so, do you know if we really need to take 15+ credits our last semester?

Hey all first post on here! Are there any other reserved admissions students out there? If so, do you know if we really need to take 15+ credits our last semester?
Hey ToothBeToldTehe, I asked the same question when I got accepted because in the acceptance letter it stated I should take 15 or more credits my last semester. I reached out to the director of admissions and he said last year "It's not required that you take at least 15 credits, it's just highly recommended." I'm sure the same rule applies to you as well. As long as you meet the grade requirements, meaning you get at least a B in every class, you'll be fine. I took 12 credits my last semester. Enjoy it because currently I'm in 20 credits and this is the most I've ever studied during a semester in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.