***The Official UMKC School of Dentistry C/O 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did they give you a rejection or did they give you reserve your application for the second half of the application cycle

Pretty sure it's a rejection. It did not say anything about reserving my application. Straight up said unable to invite and try again next time

Members don't see this ad.

Received an update. They said my application has been reserved for future consideration in the second round of the interview cycle. This is really stressful!

Received an update. They said my application has been reserved for future consideration in the second round of the interview cycle. This is really stressful!
I also received one of those!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got mine today as well... rejected with no interview. My heart is broken.

Got mine today as well... rejected with no interview. My heart is broken.
I'm sorry to hear that. Don't give up trying though. If being a dentist is your dream, don't get discouraged. I know several students here at UMKC who applied 3 upwards to 6 times trying to get accepted. Don't give up.

Received my rejection today.
KS resident
3.2/3.4 sgpa/ogpa
21 AA/TS
Kinda bummed, I was really hoping for the in-state tuition. I've had 5 other interviews, so I guess I cant complain.

Yeah that stinks--that SGPA is probably the reason :/
Got my rejection too though. GG brother.

to those who are already in UMKC SOD, are there a good amount of scholarships available? How are the loans? Kinda worries me a little.

to those who are already in UMKC SOD, are there a good amount of scholarships available? How are the loans? Kinda worries me a little.
There are a handful of scholarships through the SOD that you are automatically considered for based on your academic, service, and involvement reported on your application. You are notified about those when you are accepted or shortly thereafter. There are also other scholarships you can apply for like KIND through the Kansas Dental Association and scholarships through the Missouri Dental Association as well as other national scholarships.

Loans are loans. Nothing you can really do about it. Interest rates for Grad Plus were 7.6% and unsubsidized stafford was 6.6%

It sucks but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Is it required to submit the fasfa prior to dec. 3rd for schools you have interviewed for?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it required to submit the fasfa prior to dec. 3rd for schools you have interviewed for?
I would just wait to see if you’ve been accepted or not. The FAFSA isn’t due till like Feb 15

Good luck guys as Dec 1 comes! I know how happy I was when I got accepted a year ago! If you have any questions about UMKC or further enrollment stuff, feel free to reach out!

Good luck guys as Dec 1 comes! I know how happy I was when I got accepted a year ago! If you have any questions about UMKC or further enrollment stuff, feel free to reach out!
This year it's Dec. 3rd :( 2 more days.....

Just out of curiosity how many Kansas residents do they interview each year? Does anyone know?

Just out of curiosity how many Kansas residents do they interview each year? Does anyone know?
I'm a KS kid. And I was trying to figure it out from my class. A LOT of the KS kids did the reserved admissions program, so they got accepted in late July and didn't have to interview in the fall. There are 20 or 21 KS kids in my class, i'm not entirely sure because the admissions office told us two different numbers (at pre-orientation in march, and at orientation in august), but I don't think they interviewed that many KS residents last cycle. But knowing how many KS kids did the reserved admission program, there were like 7-10 KS spots left in my class. I didn't do the reserved admissions program so I'm VERY THANKFUL to have gotten accepted. Hope this info helps

Good luck tomorrow, everyone!

Got accepted by phone call at 8:18am CST!

Reactions: 4 users
Got the call at 8:01 CST. Was also accepted into my state school so may be declining but gonna take a look at acceptance packages first!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted! Got the call at 8:27 CST!

Reactions: 2 users
Just got the call on my way to school!!

Got the call at 8:01 CST. Was also accepted into my state school so may be declining but gonna take a look at acceptance packages first!!!
Not sure if this applies to you, but minorities receive a hefty scholarship to bring the cost down to instate tuition at UMKC

Got the call 8:04am. Arkansas student!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if they call in any specific order? Praying that it's just alphabetical & I'm last lol

Does anyone know if they call in any specific order? Praying that it's just alphabetical & I'm last lol

I was called at exactly 8:01am (CST), and my last name starts with an A. So if I had to guess an order I would guess that it is alphabetical. Keep your head up! I'm sure it takes a lot of time calling so many people.

No order, my fiance received the call before me and her last name starts with S while mine starts with B. The person calling was different too

Congrats Everyone!! I remember how excited I was when I got in a year ago!! Such an accomplishment you all should be proud of

Got my call this morning! In state and unsure right now if UMKC is where I'll end up, but so so excited!

Congrats to all who received acceptance!! I was placed as an alternate and was wondering if anyone had any advice/tips to help get off this list. Also does anyone know how the process works and how many get picked from this? Again, super happy for all who got accepted and wishing the best for you all!

Congrats to all who received acceptance!! I was placed as an alternate and was wondering if anyone had any advice/tips to help get off this list. Also does anyone know how the process works and how many get picked from this? Again, super happy for all who got accepted and wishing the best for you all!
I know last year they accepted people from the alternate list to fill the class all the way up until July 25th. So, it can happen at any time. You definitely won't hear anything though until the first round of accepted students place their deposits and they see how much room they have left in the class.

I don’t know a whole lot about the process, but in the email I received it said that our offer will expire in 30 days. I would imagine the second week of January (or soon after) the dental school would start offering to alternates.

As far as how to stay at the top of the list, I think if you could make it back to shadow at the dental school before then, it would be good. This could be difficult given that the students will also have a break, and I’m not sure if you’re even in state. I’ve heard of people sending letters of intent, but I’m not sure I would go that route. The dental school already knows everything about you on paper, so I would probably opt for a phone call. If it were me, I would make the (underlying) purpose of the call to help the admissions staff remember who I am. Because when it comes time to make a decision it will be much easier to turn down “Brad–the guy with a 3.4 GPA” than it would be to turn down “Brad–the very polite, and genuine student that I spoke to.”

Keep your head up! There is still plenty of time! I’m rooting for you

Hey does anyone know what the total cost of attendance is for UMKC I don't see it on the website I only see tuition.

Hey does anyone know what the total cost of attendance is for UMKC I don't see it on the website I only see tuition.
From the ADEA Dental School Directory:
First year, non resident: $82,051
First year, resident: $52,186

Fourth year, non resident: $96,311
Fourth year, resident: $59,197

They said the Average 4 year Student Loan Debt is $248,477 for Residents and $379,765 for Non-Residents

For those from states with the student exchange agreements, do they get instate tuition? Sorry i'm a little confused...

For those from states with the student exchange agreements, do they get instate tuition? Sorry i'm a little confused...
As far as my understanding goes, yes they would. I think that the only instance that this wouldn't be true is if they had already filled all of the allocated spots for their student exchange agreements but still extend you an offer. In that instance you would have to pay OOS but I would assume that would be made clear in your acceptance package.

As far as my understanding goes, yes they would. I think that the only instance that this wouldn't be true is if they had already filled all of the allocated spots for their student exchange agreements but still extend you an offer. In that instance you would have to pay OOS but I would assume that would be made clear in your acceptance package.
I believe this is true. I am KS but in my acceptance letter they said I would be considered a non-resident.

They said the Average 4 year Student Loan Debt is $248,477 for Residents and $379,765 for Non-Residents

Sorry, I'm just a nosey 2nd year at UMKC, but just to let you know there are ways to establish residency. One of my friends in my class was out of state, but after the first year he established in state residency. I could get you more info on how he did it, but I think the highlights are 1. Get a job here so you pay taxes. 2. Become a home owner.

I know that might not be reasonable for everyone, but it's very doable and in the long run it will save you more than 130k plus the interest on that.

Sorry, I'm just a nosey 2nd year at UMKC, but just to let you know there are ways to establish residency. One of my friends in my class was out of state, but after the first year he established in state residency. I could get you more info on how he did it, but I think the highlights are 1. Get a job here so you pay taxes. 2. Become a home owner.

I know that might not be reasonable for everyone, but it's very doable and in the long run it will save you more than 130k plus the interest on that.
I thought OOS umkc students couldn't get instate tuition after the 1st year. You sure this guy was able to do it?

I thought OOS umkc students couldn't get instate tuition after the 1st year. You sure this guy was able to do it?

Yes, he was able to do it. He sits next to me and we were just talking about it....

He said his wife has a job so they pay taxes and they bought a house. Over the summer he submitted a form to the financial aid office and they approved him as "in state" starting Fall, his second year. He also said that you should be able to get in state tuition doing either of those two things but that they did them both to make sure the financial aid office couldn't deny their request.

Status
Not open for further replies.