***The Official UMKC School of Dentistry C/O 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it includes living expenses. Tuition is like ~40k/yr and you get around 15k to live off of.
I have 3 small children. 15k isn't going to cut it;)

Anyone looking into Army?:)

Members don't see this ad.

Had a DM to talk about the first semester schedule of D1 year. Thought i’d just post a copy of it here. You’ll get a bunch of information in about a month or so on the next steps to take for enrollment and they’ll talk about the schedule in there as well. 20 credits total, not terrible, but definitely the hardest semester academically I’ve ever had. This is definitely the most I’ve ever studied before for school in my life. They are constantly updating and changing the curriculum to keep it up to date with requirments and such but the D1 fall semester next year will probably look similar to this! Hope that answers the questions!

Attachments

• E3545E65-A4B6-4185-9553-C4C97DA4FE8D.png
    E3545E65-A4B6-4185-9553-C4C97DA4FE8D.png
    182.5 KB · Views: 187
Reactions: 3 users
Just got the acceptance package today...I received the chancellor's minority scholarship and diversity scholarship, so I get instate tuition and an additional $80,000 over the 4 years!! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a facebook page for the accepted students yet?

Is there a facebook page for the accepted students yet?
You should make one! Someone in your class will have to make the facebook page anyway! Start one

Reactions: 1 user
@KCpredent, I know it's only been 1 semester, but are you happy with your choice to attend UMKC? Is it everything you hoped it would be and do you feel like you're getting a solid education?

@KCpredent, I know it's only been 1 semester, but are you happy with your choice to attend UMKC? Is it everything you hoped it would be and do you feel like you're getting a solid education?
I really like UMKC. I got accepted to another dental school, but as a KS resident I get In-State tuition here, which is VERY hard to turn down. All our professors are great, they all really want you to succeed and are great teachers. In morphology, our only main dental course this semester, all the bench instructors and TAs really know what they're talking about. In patient care, I passed my radiology competency and am now certified to take x-rays and panos on patients in the clinic, and have gotten the chance to assist in pediatrics, oral surgery, and the main student clinic. They give you a lot of opportunity to gain clinical experience as a D1 to remind yourself why you are here. Most of the stuff we learned this semester in anatomy, biochemistry, and histology are kind of irrelevant to dentistry, but will be on boards apparently, so they are important to learn. I've learned A LOT this semester and it's only my first. Next month when 2nd semester starts, we really start learning to be dentists with our operative, removable prosth, and occlusion courses. D1s come back from break a week earlier than everyone else to get a start on all the stuff we have to do this next semester. All of the 3rd and 4th years I've talked to say the clinical education at UMKC is one of the best out there and I totally agree. Our building is a little older, and things might not be as shiny as some of the other dental schools out there, however, we receive the same if not better education when compared to other dental schools in the region. Working in the hot clinic and simlab in school will only make you more appreciative of the future dental practice you get to work in as a dentists where everything is nice and shiny and so much better than in school lol. So far, I have no regrets choosing UMKC. And rumor has it, they are renovating our simlab this summer anyway, so by the time you guys are here, it will be on par with all the other dental schools in the region.

Dental school is what I expected it to be. It's going to be hard, and a lot of work wherever you go, however, here at UMKC, I don't feel like my class is cut-throat or anything like that. We have a communal class google drive where people post study guides they made or tips for studying that EVERYONE has access to and not just a select few who don't want to share. We're all here with the same goal, to become the best dentists we can be.

I think i'm getting a great dental education, and based on the National Board pass rates for UMKC, it seems to be true. So to answer your question, Yes, I am happy with my choice to attend UMKC for dental school. It is everything I wanted it to be and I know I'm getting a great education at a great price which is also nice lol. Hope that answers your question.

Reactions: 4 users
what is the living situation like? I wanna find an apartment really close to the dental school but I would like for it to be on the cheaper side ($600-$650?) and somewhere safe. Please help.

Just got the acceptance package today...I received the chancellor's minority scholarship and diversity scholarship, so I get instate tuition and an additional $80,000 over the 4 years!! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:
do they just choose you for scholarships?

what is the living situation like? I wanna find an apartment really close to the dental school but I would like for it to be on the cheaper side ($600-$650?) and somewhere safe. Please help.

I live close to the dental school now. There are some options, but your best bet would probably be Long Fellow. A lot of the health professions students live here. I’m in a three bedroom townhouse and rent is around $500. It’ll be higher if you’re by yourself though. The nice thing about Long Fellow is that it’s in walking distance of the school.

I currently live in a house within walking distance of school with a couple other dental students. It's really nice and cheaper than a lot of the other living options around here. If you can find a house near by to lease with a couple other people, I'd highly recommend it. A lot of my classmates live at Union Hill, they are really nice apartments and a short walk/drive to school, however, they are kind of pricey. I know some people who live at long fellow too, but those apartments are hard to get into, as all the health science students (nursing, medicine, pharm, dental) all want to live there because of how close it is. I didn't get into Longfellow when i was looking for an apartment because they didn't have any openings. Those two apartment complexes are the most common I would say. Living in a house though I think is a lot cheaper, as I pay less than $500 a month for rent and utilities split among my roommates and I make it really manageable. It's totally personal preference though. I like living close to school so I can walk everyday and didn't have to buy one of the expensive parking passes for my car, saving even more money. Those passes are like $300, so factor that in if you plan on driving to school everyday and living farther away. There are also some apartments on cherry street right by Ronald McDonald house directly in front of the school. You just have to do your research and find openings. It's never too early to start looking.

I currently live in a house within walking distance of school with a couple other dental students. It's really nice and cheaper than a lot of the other living options around here. If you can find a house near by to lease with a couple other people, I'd highly recommend it. A lot of my classmates live at Union Hill, they are really nice apartments and a short walk/drive to school, however, they are kind of pricey. I know some people who live at long fellow too, but those apartments are hard to get into, as all the health science students (nursing, medicine, pharm, dental) all want to live there because of how close it is. I didn't get into Longfellow when i was looking for an apartment because they didn't have any openings. Those two apartment complexes are the most common I would say. Living in a house though I think is a lot cheaper, as I pay less than $500 a month for rent and utilities split among my roommates and I make it really manageable. It's totally personal preference though. I like living close to school so I can walk everyday and didn't have to buy one of the expensive parking passes for my car, saving even more money. Those passes are like $300, so factor that in if you plan on driving to school everyday and living farther away. There are also some apartments on cherry street right by Ronald McDonald house directly in front of the school. You just have to do your research and find openings. It's never too early to start looking.
thank you so much. I think I'm going to go hunting soon even though there is still like 8 months left haha. Or i amm hoping to find someone to live with.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really like UMKC. I got accepted to another dental school, but as a KS resident I get In-State tuition here, which is VERY hard to turn down. All our professors are great, they all really want you to succeed and are great teachers. In morphology, our only main dental course this semester, all the bench instructors and TAs really know what they're talking about. In patient care, I passed my radiology competency and am now certified to take x-rays and panos on patients in the clinic, and have gotten the chance to assist in pediatrics, oral surgery, and the main student clinic. They give you a lot of opportunity to gain clinical experience as a D1 to remind yourself why you are here. Most of the stuff we learned this semester in anatomy, biochemistry, and histology are kind of irrelevant to dentistry, but will be on boards apparently, so they are important to learn. I've learned A LOT this semester and it's only my first. Next month when 2nd semester starts, we really start learning to be dentists with our operative, removable prosth, and occlusion courses. D1s come back from break a week earlier than everyone else to get a start on all the stuff we have to do this next semester. All of the 3rd and 4th years I've talked to say the clinical education at UMKC is one of the best out there and I totally agree. Our building is a little older, and things might not be as shiny as some of the other dental schools out there, however, we receive the same if not better education when compared to other dental schools in the region. Working in the hot clinic and simlab in school will only make you more appreciative of the future dental practice you get to work in as a dentists where everything is nice and shiny and so much better than in school lol. So far, I have no regrets choosing UMKC. And rumor has it, they are renovating our simlab this summer anyway, so by the time you guys are here, it will be on par with all the other dental schools in the region.

Dental school is what I expected it to be. It's going to be hard, and a lot of work wherever you go, however, here at UMKC, I don't feel like my class is cut-throat or anything like that. We have a communal class google drive where people post study guides they made or tips for studying that EVERYONE has access to and not just a select few who don't want to share. We're all here with the same goal, to become the best dentists we can be.

I think i'm getting a great dental education, and based on the National Board pass rates for UMKC, it seems to be true. So to answer your question, Yes, I am happy with my choice to attend UMKC for dental school. It is everything I wanted it to be and I know I'm getting a great education at a great price which is also nice lol. Hope that answers your question.
You have been so kind and helpful through all of this, thank you so much for all your input and responses! I have been a hygienist going on 7 years. Do you know if those students are able to by-pass competancies? (like the radiology competancy you were describing). I take radiographs all day long, so just wondering if that is an option

You have been so kind and helpful through all of this, thank you so much for all your input and responses! I have been a hygienist going on 7 years. Do you know if those students are able to by-pass competancies? (like the radiology competancy you were describing). I take radiographs all day long, so just wondering if that is an option
I'm pretty sure you'd still have to take all the competencies even though you're a hygienist. There are several dental assistants in my class, no hygienists however, and I know they still have to do all the competencies. It'll just be WAY easier for you and you wont have to stress so much over them like everyone else. That'll be nice for you, lol, i'm kind of jealous.

I have 3 small children. 15k isn't going to cut it;)

Anyone looking into Army?:)
I have two kids and we make do just fine, My wife doesn't work either.... My buddy just graduated and they have 5 kids and his wife didn't work while they were in school. They just lived off the 15k. No scholarships, no military. Everyone's situation is different, but it's doable.

I just made a Facebook group. I believe this link should work!
You might want to make it an open group, so people can freely join and not have to get approved by an Admin. Some current students will join your guy's class page as well to help with the transition and answer any questions you guys have since not everyone uses SDN

How did everyone receive a admissions package? Was it through email? I accepted my position last week, and received a confirmation today of my acceptance, however, I don't think I received a acceptance package.....

Had a DM to talk about the first semester schedule of D1 year. Thought i’d just post a copy of it here. You’ll get a bunch of information in about a month or so on the next steps to take for enrollment and they’ll talk about the schedule in there as well. 20 credits total, not terrible, but definitely the hardest semester academically I’ve ever had. This is definitely the most I’ve ever studied before for school in my life. They are constantly updating and changing the curriculum to keep it up to date with requirments and such but the D1 fall semester next year will probably look similar to this! Hope that answers the questions!
Do we get to pick up a hand piece during the first semester? The schedule looks like it's all didactic..oh and do you know what color scrubs the incoming freshman will be wearing? I'm hoping it's not maroon lol

Do we get to pick up a hand piece during the first semester? The schedule looks like it's all didactic..oh and do you know what color scrubs the incoming freshman will be wearing? I'm hoping it's not maroon lol

I’m not sure about the hand piece, but if I remember correctly the scrubs go like this.

D1: Navy Blue
D2: Maroon
D3: Light Blue
D4: Grey

Hand piece use is optional first semester. I saw a few people using it on their final project. You’ll get one in your lab kit in August.

Scrub color will be what the graduating hygiene students are wearing this year....which I believe is navy.

In any case, they rotate through six colors. This years D4 class color (grey) will be the color that 1st year hygiene students wear next year.

Current D1s are in Hunter Green.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, @wjc is right. You guys will have Navy Blue Scrubs! I'm a little jealous, that's a nice color lol

Does anyone know the cost of attendance for the first year as out of state? Having trouble finding it on their website for 20 credits

Does anyone know the cost of attendance for the first year as out of state? Having trouble finding it on their website for 20 credits
I've attached a copy of non-resident COA for the current school year. Next years info wont be available until mid summer! Hope this helps

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    168.5 KB · Views: 107
I just got my invite!!!!!!!!! Beyond excited, insanely non-traditional(34 year old ex-pastry chef!!!) UMKC is my number one choice and I feel so honored!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Is there an instate one of these available?
I've attached it here! Keep in mind though, this is the flat rate cost of dental school at UMKC. Factor in interest at 6.6-7%, it'll be quite a bit more than the nice little number the financial aid office provides for us!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    145.6 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
do you think i will be able to find a roommate before classes start? I seriously know NO ONE from our class lol.

do you think i will be able to find a roommate before classes start? I seriously know NO ONE from our class lol.
I'm sure as we head into spring, people will be looking for roommates on the Facebook page! I won't know anyone either, except for my fiancé and someone I met at my Colorado interview lol

I'm sure as we head into spring, people will be looking for roommates on the Facebook page! I won't know anyone either, except for my fiancé and someone I met at my Colorado interview lol
i sure hope so. I was thinking about renting a house with someone, seems like that's the best deal.

Did interviews this year include the one min video? If so does anyone know if they still do it for the January interviews, I want to be as prepared as possible!

Did interviews this year include the one min video? If so does anyone know if they still do it for the January interviews, I want to be as prepared as possible!
Yup, they take the 1min video when you arrive. I'm pretty sure they do it for post-Dec interviews too because the adcoms view them to put a face to the name.

Most people used the time to explain why they should be chosen, but I used 20 seconds to introduce myself, tell them I love spending my free time with my chihuahua, and that I would love to live in Kansas City.

They did do the 1 minute video earlier this year, and I wouldn’t expect January interviews to be much different. Good luck!!

Has anyone received any information from the school since that 'acceptance received' email? They said they would be sending info regarding housing, financial aid, etc. but just wondering if those who have accepted received anything since then?

Does anyone know the date classes begin?
Classes begin Aug 19 next year. You guys will have a mandatory orientation the week before (probably 14-16 but don't quote me on that). And you'll get an email within the next month or so with a PDF booklet of information called the "Next Steps Guide," which will answer all the questions you have about what to do next, where to find housing, mandatory vaccinations and stuff like that.

I declined my offer today.
It was my state school and the cheapest tuition too but the tuition isn't everything for me.
Good luck everyone!

also looking for roommate. I'm from Arkansas and plan to live with my German Shepherd within walking distance to the school.

Does anyone know what the break schedule (thanksgiving and winter break) looks like for D1s?

Does anyone know what the break schedule (thanksgiving and winter break) looks like for D1s?
Thanksgiving break this year was November 18-24 (we get the whole week off) and Winter break for D1s this year is a month long (Dec 14 - Jan 13)

Thanksgiving break this year was November 18-24 (we get the whole week off) and Winter break for D1s this year is a month long (Dec 14 - Jan 13)
It will be similar to this I’m sure for next year

@KCpredent how is your second semester going so far? Better than the first or more of the same

@KCpredent how is your second semester going so far? Better than the first or more of the same
It finally feels like I’m actually in dental school this semester. We’re taking Complete Removable Prosth, Occlusion, Operative, Anatomy(Head and Neck), Physiology, Hisopathology, and Patient Care. We’re in intercession right now which is basically a whole week of Patient Care lecture which is so boring, but we start lab for Comp Remov Prosth and Occlusion tomorrow so that’ll be fun. From what I can tell, it seems like this semester will be easier than last semester just because we all know what to expect and everything isn’t completely new. We’re taking 23.5 credits this semester, (20 last semester) so we’ll see how things go. So far so good

Status
Not open for further replies.