The Republic of Texas Part VII - Chuck Norris Strikes Back

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just another little piece of advice...stay on top of TMDSAS! Last year, they mistook an extra LOR I had sent from my dance professor for my committee letter! After several weeks and many phone calls from me and from a really nice lady in the admissions office at TCOM, we figured out that they had misfiled my committee letter in someone else's file! That significantly delayed my app for several schools. So be sure to keep checking you status page and make sure that they have the proper letters!

oh my TMDSAS ones are in, I was thinking of the AMCAS ones.

I hope I get the chance to answer, I really want to go to Vandy because my soon-to-be-fiancee goes there. I'm sure I'll get pre-screened due to my numbers though.
Vandy hates State Schoolers (at least that's what I keep telling myself is the reason I didn't get in) ;)

But good luck to you! Maybe you won't botch your interview like I did :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone PM me a copy of a same response or your own response to one of the optional essays? I am a little confused by what types of "experiences and personal characteristics" qualify, how to articulate them, and structure. For example, should we recount one significant experience in a story like format or try to cover all the characteristics and experiences in a direct manner?

Just another little piece of advice...stay on top of TMDSAS! Last year, they mistook an extra LOR I had sent from my dance professor for my committee letter! After several weeks and many phone calls from me and from a really nice lady in the admissions office at TCOM, we figured out that they had misfiled my committee letter in someone else's file! That significantly delayed my app for several schools. So be sure to keep checking you status page and make sure that they have the proper letters!

dancer I've missed you! How have you been?!

quick question...my school doesn't do credits/hours like normal schools.
each class is 1.00 credit regardless of the class having a lab. do i just keep everything as 1 credit on tmdsas, or should i change them to 3s and 4s?

Can someone PM me a copy of a same response or your own response to one of the optional essays? I am a little confused by what types of "experiences and personal characteristics" qualify, how to articulate them, and structure. For example, should we recount one significant experience in a story like format or try to cover all the characteristics and experiences in a direct manner?
sent
quick question...my school doesn't do credits/hours like normal schools.
each class is 1.00 credit regardless of the class having a lab. do i just keep everything as 1 credit on tmdsas, or should i change them to 3s and 4s?
I'd do it exactly how it is on your official transcript.

I'm done with my secondaries, I did them the same day I submitted the primary. They're all pretty short and require minimal writing. They all ask the same thing basically, too.

Wow, are you serious? I was under the impression that secondaries would take an extensive amount of time. I am so out of the loop.

Wow, are you serious? I was under the impression that secondaries would take an extensive amount of time. I am so out of the loop.
well, I imagine my responses were a lot shorter/to the point than most peoples'. For instance, my 2000 character essay had about 800 characters.

they're not that challenging, though.

How should I list research activities for the TMDSAS application? Such as, should I include the name of the researcher I worked with or the topic? Also, if you did medically related research, would than qualify both as a research activity and health related activity? Is it ok if I list activities like that twice?

I made a follow-up call to my references today (Two professors / one colleague). Hopefully everything will be TMDSAS'ed by early next week. My check and cert page was received on 5/10, so I'm curious how long it takes to get finalized that early.

On the 1st "essay" in A&M's secondary app, do they want you to list experiences/contacts that demonstrate your particular interests? The wording of it just seems vague to me...

Members don't see this ad :)
On the 1st "essay" in A&M's secondary app, do they want you to list experiences/contacts that demonstrate your particular interests? The wording of it just seems vague to me...
yes, that's how I took it. I answered it in a bulleted format

ex: Primary care - Shadowed a family practice physician...

for those of you worried about being "late," A&M's secondary page says they don't even get your TMDSAS primary until June 15 or so and take a week to get online.

Last year I submitted early July 6-12... around that window.
I got all early interviews and got more pre-matches then I knew what to do with.
I think that I beat the rush by about a week, because if memory serves me correct people that I knew that submitted a week after me took at least 4 weeks to get verified, while my app was verified in 2 1/2 weeks.

However, this year since the pre-match screwed people that applied late last year I'm gonna go ahead and predict that the rush will jump ahead by as much as a week. Thats just my opinion.

is this thread linked in the TMDSAS FAQ? there seems to be an increase in TMDSAS threads lately, but hardly anyone new posting in this thread.

How should I list research activities for the TMDSAS application? Such as, should I include the name of the researcher I worked with or the topic? Also, if you did medically related research, would than qualify both as a research activity and health related activity? Is it ok if I list activities like that twice?

I'd say that if it was research then list it under research (regardless of whether it is bench or clinical research). Either way you can expand on your experiences during interviews.

Did you guys list the classes that you plan to take in spring 2008 in section 11: college work? I've only listed the fall 2007 classes I plan to take because it shows up on my transcript.

Did you guys list the classes that you plan to take in spring 2008 in section 11: college work? I've only listed the fall 2007 classes I plan to take because it shows up on my transcript.

tmdsas says, "you must list every course in which you are currently enrolled or plan to take before entering medical, dental, or veterinary school (if known)." so, i just listed the classes i'm taking in fall '07 'cause i'm not 100% sure of what classes i'm taking in spring '08.

tmdsas says, "you must list every course in which you are currently enrolled or plan to take before entering medical, dental, or veterinary school (if known)." so, i just listed the classes i'm taking in fall '07 'cause i'm not 100% sure of what classes i'm taking in spring '08.

Ah, thanks, I really need to look over their section overview before I ask questions on here! :oops:

Is the Texas Tech and A&M secondary not available yet?

Ah, thanks, I really need to look over their section overview before I ask questions on here! :oops:

Is the Texas Tech and A&M secondary not available yet?

those secondaries should be up...i was able to reach them through the link on tmdsas.

Hey guys, I had a question about the TMDSAS application.

Chances are if you are a Texas resident, you know about the program called TAMS (Texas Academy for Mathematics and Science), but if not, let me explain it briefly. TAMS students get to dual credit their last two years of high school for college credit and enroll at UNT as full time students. Basically, by the end of high school graduation, you leave with about 60 hours of coursework.

Now, when it asks for the chronology of events, it asks to list it from the end of high school graduation. If I did that though, it would cut my actual college activities in half as I did many things during my time at TAMS (research, volunteering, etc.). So I was wondering if it is ok to list my TAMS activities in the chronology of activities and such.

Thanks.

I would include your tams activities seeing as they were also "the first 2 yrs" of college. call tmdsas and ask them about it if you feel uncomfortable doing so.

Hey guys, I had a question about the TMDSAS application.

Chances are if you are a Texas resident, you know about the program called TAMS (Texas Academy for Mathematics and Science), but if not, let me explain it briefly. TAMS students get to dual credit their last two years of high school for college credit and enroll at UNT as full time students. Basically, by the end of high school graduation, you leave with about 60 hours of coursework.

Now, when it asks for the chronology of events, it asks to list it from the end of high school graduation. If I did that though, it would cut my actual college activities in half as I did many things during my time at TAMS (research, volunteering, etc.). So I was wondering if it is ok to list my TAMS activities in the chronology of activities and such.

Thanks.

Who are you? What's your name? I have the exact same question.

Sorry, I like to stay anonymous in forums, but I'm from the Class of 2005. If we really know each other, then I have no problem in revealing myself :).

Thanks for the info, I'll give the TMDSAS folks a call on Monday. I'm sure they've heard this question before.

do we need to have our pre-med committee letter submitted before they review our application? or will they review our apps/invite to interview based on TMDSAS application and secondaries? thanks!

Did you guys put paragraphs (not hitting tab, but hitting enter at the end of a paragraph) on your tmdsas personal statement essay? Mine will fit if I eliminate those and just type one long essay, but that might be a bad idea. :confused:

do we need to have our pre-med committee letter submitted before they review our application? or will they review our apps/invite to interview based on TMDSAS application and secondaries? thanks!
they start reviewing your application a few weeks after they get your photos, certification page, and fee. you don't have to have transcripts or LORs in
Did you guys put paragraphs (not hitting tab, but hitting enter at the end of a paragraph) on your tmdsas personal statement essay? Mine will fit if I eliminate those and just type one long essay, but that might be a bad idea.
I put 2-3 spaces before each paragraph. If you're running out of room you might want to look through the essay and see if there's a way to get your point across without using so many words. Brevity is appreciated when they're reading hundreds/thousands of personal statements.

I miss Texas :( I've been in Nashville for ~3 weeks and decided to try "Mexican food" here. Not only was it gross, but I got food poisoning from it.

Did you guys put paragraphs (not hitting tab, but hitting enter at the end of a paragraph) on your tmdsas personal statement essay? Mine will fit if I eliminate those and just type one long essay, but that might be a bad idea. :confused:

I didn't have lines between my paragraphs, but I put several spaces to kind of indent.

I didn't have lines between my paragraphs, but I put several spaces to kind of indent.

Yeah I did the same thing. I did 5 spaces at the beginning of the first line of each paragraph to make them look clearer, and I didn't use spaces in between paragraphs, either.

I miss Texas :( I've been in Nashville for ~3 weeks and decided to try "Mexican food" here. Not only was it gross, but I got food poisoning from it.
I go across the border for dinner pretty regularly now and last time I took a friend of a friend who couldn't understand why I wouldn't let her eat at the cute little stand on the corner :rolleyes:

i noticed on the TMDSAS application, they ask us to list all other (other than TMDSAS schools) med schools we are applying to. so i'm assuming we are supposed to list all? could we list only some, instead? what are y'all's suggestions? thanks!

For the "academic honors, awards, and other recognitions" can I just completely leave out all Dean's list stuff? I'll only have like three or four entries in the section then, but I just don't see the point in putting that stuff down.

You can probably just group you Dean's List awards into one entry.

Did I read correctly that the HP committee packet does not have to be received for TMDSAS to process the application and get interview offers?

You can probably just group you Dean's List awards into one entry.

Did I read correctly that the HP committee packet does not have to be received for TMDSAS to process the application and get interview offers?
I also just listed Deans list once and wrote multiple dates.

And that's right, they will process it without the evaluations or transcripts.

Here's another question someone may know the answer. What happens if an additional LOR is received after the application has been processed and sent to the schools? Do they update the application with each school?

Medical ethics course: other science or non science? YOU MAKE THE CALL...

Here's another question someone may know the answer. What happens if an additional LOR is received after the application has been processed and sent to the schools? Do they update the application with each school?

I believe any updates you make, TMDSAS makes them and uploads it (every friday? not sure about day). Each individual schools then receive the new ones on a weekly basis. Call and make sure though.

whoa! we were almost bottom of page 3.

Anyone have any decorating tips for smaller spaces?

Originally posted by aggiesarah2007
whoa! we were almost bottom of page 3.

Anyone have any decorating tips for smaller spaces?

IKEA

a friend of mine at Tech told me to get a hold of this lady Linda Prado regarding their MD/MBA program.

do any of you know her email address, or how Tech organizes their email addresses? at baylor it would be [email protected], but I imagine not all schools use this same format.

thanks

a friend of mine at Tech told me to get a hold of this lady Linda Prado regarding their MD/MBA program.

do any of you know her email address, or how Tech organizes their email addresses? at baylor it would be [email protected], but I imagine not all schools use this same format.

thanks

Linda.Prado AT ttuhsc.edu

google her silly :)

Wow, the instructions on TMDSAS's website are incredibly skimpy. When it asks us to list our research activity, how exactly should we label it? What's the format?

In general, what's the format for listing activities to begin with? I'm listing it as <activity> (2-digit month/4-digit year).

In general, what's the format for listing activities to begin with? I'm listing it as <activity> (2-digit month/4-digit year).

I did it just as that. Activity and then time frame. That's what the directions say. I don't think you can go wrong with how you do it.

Another question: Is there a protocol for submitting secondaries? Do you have to wait until your primary is processed or can you just go ahead and submit?

Ikea furniture is a little too "square" looking for me, although I do like their bookcases. :)

If you go to any furniture store, chances are they have some smaller-than-normal couches/sofas, and small breakfast tables or dinettes. If the space is really small I would also suggest having as much smart storage items as you can (chest drawers, closet organizers, under-the-bed boxes, etc) so that your apartment doesn't feel too crowded with stuff.