The Republic of Texas XXXVII: Get up. Look up. Show up. Never Give up.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Should us waitlisted applicants re-apply May 1st or should we wait a couple weeks to see if we are accepted somewhere and possibly save ourselves $165+?

On 4 WL atm

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Should us waitlisted applicants re-apply May 1st or should we wait a couple weeks to see if we are accepted somewhere and possibly save ourselves $165+?

On 4 WL atm

I think the difference between a 5/1 submission and a 5/15-5/31 is rather negligible. I submitted last year on 5/18 and was verified by 5/24. Interviews didn’t even start going out until the end of June if I remember correctly. MSAR also has dates listed when schools begin reviewing applications. 165 isn’t much in the grand scheme of things but if you could save yourself the money and time on not prepping secondaries just yet, why not.

I think the difference between a 5/1 submission and a 5/15-5/31 is rather negligible. I submitted last year on 5/18 and was verified by 5/24. Interviews didn’t even start going out until the end of June if I remember correctly. MSAR also has dates listed when schools begin reviewing applications. 165 isn’t much in the grand scheme of things but if you could save yourself the money and time on not prepping secondaries just yet, why not.

Oh wow that’s a quick turn around. My app took 3 weeks to be verified last year, but I applied early July. I think I’ll wait until mid-May then.

165 ain’t much, but secondary fees on top of that could easily make it $500+. And that’s a lot on my scribe wages lol

Members don't see this ad :)

On 4 WL atm
I would wait until May 15th to send. There really won’t be much of a difference when you’re that early.

On 4 WL atm
1.The new TMDSAS Application handbook is available for download on the site.
There are a few changes, mainly some more optional short essays and a change in the listing of your extracurricular activities : In past years you could cross-list some activities in more than one category, now they only allow listing an activity in more than one place in the Healthcare Experiences - & - Employment category.
2. Fill out your application carefully and thoughtfully, as you can't edit it once submitted.
3. If you are currently taking any classes (not in a gap year) you MUST wait until your Spring Term 2019 transcript is available before submitting your application.

TL/dr : wait until mid to late May.

Also, according to Enrique Jasso Jr. of TMDSAS, in answer to this question "I always thought the earlier the better to submit the application, but then the TMDSAS statistics on the website show that applications that submitted in June have a higher interview percentage than those who submitted in May."
Enrique answered:
"Another contributing factor is applicants not giving sufficient time to completing the application. Last year, almost no applicant that applied in early May received an interview. tl;dr: Apply early, but take your time."

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I always thought the earlier the better to submit the application, but then the TMDSAS statistics on the website show that applications that submitted in June have a higher interview percentage than those who submitted in May."

actually, IIRC if you look at the graphs, the percentage of II per applicant is higher for those who submit in May. The reason the total II is greater in June is because there way more people who actually submit in June

actually, IIRC if you look at the graphs, the percentage of II per applicant is higher for those who submit in May. The reason the total II is greater in June is because there way more people who actually submit in June
sorry @dodolol21 , these are the new numbers, percents not number of applicants.
Take-home lesson : be complete by the end of July if you can!

Reactions: 1 users
I think applying by May 15 is a good way to update the schools you are waitlisted at by the time important choices are being made (namely being the date acceptances are only given to applicants with no acceptances), while giving you enough time to make sure you fill everything out thoughtfully. Just remember that your application could end up being your app for a whole new cycle.

I think applying by May 15 is a good way to update the schools you are waitlisted at by the time important choices are being made (namely being the date acceptances are only given to applicants with no acceptances), while giving you enough time to make sure you fill everything out thoughtfully. Just remember that your application could end up being your app for a whole new cycle.
That sounds like it would be a good idea, but gotta remember that the TMDSAS application will be labelled 2019-2020 year and the schools considering you as a WL candidate will not be seeing it or adding that new application to your file for consideration for the 2018-2019 cycle.:oops::(:angelic::angelic:

I didn't know that. I was planning to use it as a final update! Good to know.

Texas Roundup 4/30/2019

As applicants narrowed down their acceptances to their one preferred school, I just saw a few withdrawals reported.
People cementing spots at the more prized schools will lead to some WL offers shortly at other schools.
You will only have a short time to respond to WL offers so read any emails carefully.

4/28 1 UTSW spot relinquished OOS
4/28 1 Baylor spot relinquished IS
4/29 1 McGovern spot relinquished IS
4/29 1 Baylor spot relinquished IS

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
On one hand, WL at BCM.
On the other, a very hefty scholarship at EP.
I'm ok with this.

So at what point in may can we kind of assume we won’t get off any WL? Kind of annoying how tx school don’t reject post II or tell you where you stand :/

Reactions: 4 users
So at what point in may can we kind of assume we won’t get off any WL? Kind of annoying how tx school don’t reject post II or tell you where you stand :/
If you’re standing with no admits, you are the only Texans who can come in off the WL after May 15 :)

Reactions: 2 users

Texas Roundup May 2, 2019

"Tetris Edition"
--
I'll call it the Tetris Edition because the med schools are trying to get the last few pieces to fit well in a mostly filled-in field.
Except in Tetris, you really can't take a piece out once it has landed, but when Accepted Students change their minds and withdraw for greener pastures it does upset the pattern a bit and make the schools have to go back into the game. Not "game over", but extra rounds.
Let's get to the news:

New Offers of Admission: (assume the offers were accepted unless I state otherwise)
4/29 1 Long offer, IS, from WL
4/30 1 A&M offer, OOS, from WL, applicant declined
5/1 1 A&M EnMEd offer from WL
5/1 1 Long offer, IS, from WL, applicant declined
5/1 1 UTSW offer, IS, from WL

Admitted students relinquishing spots: some due to 'narrowing down to one acceptance'
deadline of April 30, some due to new offers:

4/30 2 Baylor spots relinquished, IS
4/30 1 Long spot relinquished, IS
4/30 1 UTMB spot relinquished, IS
4/30 1 Dell spot relinquished, I think an OOS applicant
5/1 1 A&M EnMed spot relinquished, OOS
5/1 1 Texas Tech spot relinquished, IS
5/1 1 Foster spot relinquished, IS

5/1 possibly 1 more A&M spot relinquished, second-hand news LOL

That's it for now. Go grill ya some burgers or a steak

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
2020 applicant here- I don't see the tmdsas thread or a 2020 texas thread so figured I'd ask here: did anyone have to fill out the nontrad essay on TMDSAS last year? it says its new on the handbook. Just trying to get a sense of what people are putting there. (prompt is below, 1000 characters max)

Do you consider yourself a non-traditional applicant? *YesNo
Describe the factors that have defined you as a non-traditional candidate and how they impact your application.
Hi - it’s a new optional essay. If you fit the description, it’s worth your time to write it. I will put up some comments on the 2019-2020 page here soon :

Texas Roundup 5/3/2019 "Cattle Drive - keep them cattle moving!"

Did you know that in the Fort Worth stockyard area a small cattle drive is staged twice a day for tourists?
https://www.fortworthstockyards.org/events/fort-worth-herd-twice-daily-cattle-drive

But I digress...

New offers of admission:
4/30 1 Long offer, IS, from WL
5/2 1 A&M offer, IS, from WL
5/2 5 Baylor offers, IS, from WL
5/2 2 Baylor offers, OOS, from WL

Admitted students relinquishing spots (as a result of their new WL offers)
5/2 1 Foster spot relinquished, IS
5/2 1 McGovern spot relinquished, IS

"Hey Wysdoc, why doesn't the number of spots relinquished match the new WL offers?" you may wonder.
For some it was their first acceptance
For some they haven't decided yet whether to take the WL offer - it's more than school rank, there are family, $$, and other considerations
For some the school they're dropping is an OOS school.

I really only report on/follow news related to the great state of Texas !

Last edited:
For those of us re-applying, do we need to use a new photo? Mine was taken last July and I look exactly the same. It was taken by a professional and I don’t want to pay for a new one.

For those of us re-applying, do we need to use a new photo? Mine was taken last July and I look exactly the same. It was taken by a professional and I don’t want to pay for a new one.
Nope. But change your SDN avatar for good luck!

Texas Roundup 5/5/2019 "The stress is fraying our nerves edition"

New offers of admission:
5/1 1 Baylor offer IS
5/4 2 Dell offers IS
5/4 1 Dell offer state of residence unknown

Admitted students relinquishing spots:
5/1 1 Long spot IS relinquished
5/4 1 Foster spot IS relinquished

Fodder for thought:
60% of all applicants don't get in.

You are still a good person, pony, or brony.
It ain't over yet.
If you plan to reapply, be sure your creds have changed or improved in some way, shape, or form.

Last edited:
I started a new thread for 2019-2020 applicants over here: Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2019-2020

This doesn't mean I am telling this year's applicants to throw in the towel, because the WL action is much later than usual this year.
Just for your reference if you are among the 60% who don't get accepted your first time.

There are going to be a few changes too, if you are a re-applicant. I will post a list of changes for re-applicants on the same thread over there in a day or two.

Go cook yourself a pot of stew.

Texas Roundup 5/8/2019

Doesn't it feel like time is moving so slowly and at the same time, time is running out? Wysdoc contemplates this time warp.

New offers of admission:
5/3
1 UTRGV offer OOS from WL
5/4 1 Baylor offer IS (person is deciding between Baylor and UTSW now)
5/6 1 TCOM offer IS
5/7 1 Foster offer OOS from WL, this person has another TX school & hasn't announced choice

edited to add 2 more bits of news :
5/5 1 McGovern offer from WL IS - applicant declined
5/4 1 Dell offer from WL OOS - applicant declined

Admitted students relinquishing spots:
at least 3 TX spots will be tossed back as a result of the above offers, I will post any updates when they decide.
Students with new offers now are usually told in the offer e-mail the date by which they need to accept or decline.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how many acceptances tcom offers on average?

For EY2018 they had 715 interviews and offered 465 acceptances. (From their website). That's a combo of IS and OOS applicants so it's hard to determine exactly how many IS or OOS acceptances they give out.

It doesn't look like there has been much movement since the April 30th deadline. Any ideas why?

It doesn't look like there has been much movement since the April 30th deadline. Any ideas why?
I count at least 22 WL offers since April 30, and I expect there to be another bump in the offers a few days after May 15th, at which date WL offers can be made only to OOS applicants or applicants with no prior TX admissions.

Last edited:
Texas Roundup 5/10/2019

New offers of admission
5/8/2019 1 Long offer OOS from WL
5/9/2019 1 Long offer IS from WL, applicant deciding between this and 1 prior admission
5/9/2019 1 Long offer IS from WL, first admit for this applicant.

Let's see what the rest of the day brings, y'all. I might edit/update this later if there's more news. :p

Texas Roundup 5/10/2019 evening update :highfive:

5/2 1 A&M offer IS from WL, accepted
5/10 1 UTMB offer from WL, accepted
5/10 1 Long offer from WL

If you get an offer, be sure to accept or decline within the time frame they tell you.

Reactions: 5 users
Texas Roundup 5/13/2019

5/9/2019 1 TCOM spot relinquished OOS

I know of a few folks deciding between
their initial acceptance and a new WL offer, and they will probably give up one by the end of the week. The ones I know of :
A&M - vs - Long
Baylor - vs - UTSW
Baylor - vs - Foster
McGovern - vs - Foster
there are probably some "lurkers" out there with similar decisions ;)

Y'all can PM me with your decisions if you don't want to put them on here or the school-specific boards.

Hang in there!

Last edited:
I cannot wait until after May 15th. Those of us still without acceptance will hopefully get some good news then.

Does anyone think the traffic rule change is affecting TX waitlist movement too? I don’t see many ppl talking about TX on the waitlist support thread.

Reactions: 5 users
I cannot wait until after May 15th. Those of us still without acceptance will hopefully get some good news then.

Does anyone think the traffic rule change is affecting TX waitlist movement too? I don’t see many ppl talking about TX on the waitlist support thread.
Fingers crossed for post may 15th movement but I’ve given up on WL movement lol

They don't understand Texas over there on the regular AMCAS threads! That's okay, we know who we are!
It really isn't much different this year than the prior two years except, UTSW hasn't started making offers to those on the WL yet and they did by the first few days of May in the past. Might be because so many have the Baylor - vs - UTSW decision and have been slow to choose.

Last edited:
I could see there being less movement overall if people are slow to choose UTSW - vs - OOS/Baylor due to the new traffic guidelines. UTSW only has two more days to draw from McGovern/Long/UTMB etc. which means fewer spots opening up at those schools once classes get solidified on the 15th.

But that's just speculation. There's no good way to guess what will happen! We'll just have to see over the next few days/weeks.

They don't understand Texas over there on the regular AMCAS threads! That's okay, we know who we are!
It really isn't much different this year than the prior two years except, UTSW hasn't started making offers to those on the WL yet and they did by the first few days of May in the past. Might be because so many have the Baylor - vs - UTSW decision and have been slow to choose.

I was hoping UTSW and Baylor would cause a large domino effect on the WL movement, but they only have a couple more days to do it.

I was hoping UTSW and Baylor would cause a large domino effect on the WL movement, but they only have a couple more days to do it.
Would really suck if they don't cause a domino effect because of the new rules :/

Just to be sure, if one were to have a WL for a more preferred school but an acceptance at another, does the traffic rule apply on May 15th at 00:00 or does it apply at the end of the day? I.e. would it still be possible to receive an offer on May 15th given a TX acceptance already in hand

Just to be sure, if one were to have a WL for a more preferred school but an acceptance at another, does the traffic rule apply on May 15th at 00:00 or does it apply at the end of the day? I.e. would it still be possible to receive an offer on May 15th given a TX acceptance already in hand
@Aurarice the cutoff time is 5 pm on May 15th.

Good Morning Cowboys!

If you are someone who has recently been offered admission from a WL but also had another admission before that, try to come to your decision today. For most new WL offers, the school would like you to accept or decline within 5 business days.
After 5 pm tomorrow, new Texas WL offers can only go to applicants, IS or OOS, with no current Texas admissions.

Texas Roundup 5/14/2019

5/9 1 TCOM seat
relinquished IS (due to a recent MD offer from WL)
5/13 1 Foster WL offer from 5/7 declined (applicant preferred their existing school spot)

Share your news, y'all!

After 5 pm tomorrow, new Texas WL offers can only go to applicants, IS or OOS, with no current Texas admissions.

Best of luck tomorrow to all fellow accepted Texans hoping for their top choices. :) I hope that at least a few get the call/email to make their dreams come true. Just under 24 hours to go

Tomorrow could be the day were all h*** breaks loose, or is could be a disappointment lol

Listen all y’all, I am not trying to discourage anyone but the most that will happen tomorrow is a few offers could be made, and a few people who need to decide between 2 offers right now will decline one of ‘em. Don’t get sad if no offers come to you tomorrow.
The schools will need time to regroup and see who has committed and then the WL offers to Texans with no acceptances will go out.
WL offers will trickle off in a couple of weeks. Last year all acceptances were wrapped up by June 11 and the prior year by June 6.

Anyone know if someone can cancel acceptance to remain on waitlists past May 15th? Asking for a friend

Anyone know if someone can cancel acceptance to remain on waitlists past May 15th? Asking for a friend
If you want to do this, do it tomorrow before 5 pm. I DO NOT recommend you do this if it is your only acceptance, though, because the costs of being a reapplicant are too high.
One OOS person who has an OOS acceptance plus a TX spot they do not prefer to their Dream TX WL school called TMDSAS today and was told if they withdrew their current TX spot they would be able to stay on the TX WL past May 15. This OOS person does have their OOS acceptance still in hand in case they don’t get that TX WL offer.

Your friend should contact TMDSAS ASAP and see if they can answer it in time. Regardless, pretty ballsy move by your friend unless they hold an acceptance OOS they would rather attend to than their current TX school.

Status
Not open for further replies.