The Republic of Texas XXXVIII : The Cowboy Code

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not saying it's a good or bad thing, but frankly, the transparency is more from the applicant than the schools. TMDSAS applicants are left in silence until they either receive an ii, pre-match, or are accepted/rejected. If rejected, applicants won't know that until February rolls around.

True, and I agree. I was mainly speaking of transparency between the interviewee and interviewer. Transparency on the larger applicant/TMDSAS scale needs some work, though I personally don't know what work that would be.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you interviewed this week what are the chances you’ll be considered for the oct 15 prematch?

I
If you interviewed this week what are the chances you’ll be considered for the oct 15 prematch?

This is such a variable thing and depends on what the school’s decision process is. So no way to really guess at chances. Is it possible, yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Possible if they really loved you, but not likely. At least, not the very first day. I’m pretty sure prematch offers can be made up until the actual match begins.

Possible if they really loved you, but not likely. At least, not the very first day. I’m pretty sure prematch offers can be made up until the actual match begins.

Only until Dec 31.

But hey, the deadline to submit your match preferences is Jan 17, only 17 days after that pre-match window.
Remember, you can match if you have had at least one interview, even with no pre-match offers.

Last edited:

My interviewer told me I fit their school and mission perfectly and I left feeling really great after so now I’m really hoping they’ll consider me for this first round of prematch offers. I haven’t gotten that kind of reception from anyone else.

Prematch starting in 11 days :nailbiting:. Even though not many offers are sent out and I'm pretty sure I'm not getting a prematch as a very average applicant, I can't help feeling anxious
How do we hear about pre-match offers? Is it primarily email or TMDSAS?

@wysdoc how come schools are so tight-lipped about the prematch process? I noticed the only data anyone has on it is your counting the SDN responses. Neither school I interviewed at would address it directly either. I would love to know if prematches are given just to those with the top stats or if students who are good fits for the school might also prematch. Hard not to get hopes up.

@wysdoc how come schools are so tight-lipped about the prematch process? I noticed the only data anyone has on it is your counting the SDN responses. Neither school I interviewed at would address it directly either. I would love to know if prematches are given just to those with the top stats or if students who are good fits for the school might also prematch. Hard not to get hopes up.

I’m also wondering since the prematch date is moved up if schools will give out less prematches since there’s more time between oct 15 and dec 31 so they might do 2 additional waves of prematches during that period

They have every right to keep their deliberations about admissions decisions private. There is probably no consistent % prematched vs matched each year. Long SOM has been clear that Match Day is their big decision day, and some other schools can be somewhat predicted by their past patterns.
Texas is pretty kind to its applicants as it is, taking the pressure off many of you by giving you a pre-match in the fall so you know you have a place in Med school!
I know you want to know NOW, what would that be, a pre-pre-match??
This whole process can take almost a year for some, patience is no fun but it is needed.

I’m also wondering since the prematch date is moved up if schools will give out less prematches since there’s more time between oct 15 and dec 31 so they might do 2 additional waves of prematches during that period
Nobody knows as this is a new timeline, the only surety is there will be a bunch of announcements October 15th. After that some schools announce more in batches and some trickle them out.

Reactions: 1 users
They have every right to keep their deliberations about admissions decisions private. There is probably no consistent % prematched vs matched each year. Long SOM has been clear that Match Day is their big decision day, and some other schools can be somewhat predicted by their past patterns.
Texas is pretty kind to its applicants as it is, taking the pressure off many of you by giving you a pre-match in the fall so you know you have a place in Med school!
I know you want to know NOW, what would that be, a pre-pre-match??
This whole process can take almost a year for some, patience is no fun but it is needed.

Thank you for your thorough reply and your time! I really appreciate it.

And yes, I think we would all love a pre-pre-match, maybe I will pitch the idea to TMDSAS :rofl:

Members don't see this ad :)
Image-1-30.png

Hey all y'all !

Everyone's getting a little nervous and excited about the October 15th date, after which pre-match offers might be made to TEXAS applicants to TMDSAS medical schools.

We're still smack in the middle of interview season, so you might not have been to the school yet that you will end up loving.

This would be a good time to review the information on TMDSAS: what is pre-match, what is match, how does it all go?
Cruise over here: The TMDSAS Match

After you read and/or watch the podcast, hit me back with questions.
Pre-match offers are only for Texas applicants. Match is only for Texas applicants. The timeline for offers of admission this year for OOS applicants is similar, though. OOS applicants can be offered a spot any time after Oct 15 and on a rolling basis.

Reactions: 5 users
View attachment 282885

Hey all y'all !

Everyone's getting a little nervous and excited about the October 15th date, after which pre-match offers might be made to TEXAS applicants to TMDSAS medical schools.

We're still smack in the middle of interview season, so you might not have been to the school yet that you will end up loving.

This would be a good time to review the information on TMDSAS: what is pre-match, what is match, how does it all go?
Cruise over here: The TMDSAS Match

After you read and/or watch the podcast, hit me back with questions.
Pre-match offers are only for Texas applicants. Match is only for Texas applicants. The timeline for offers of admission this year for OOS applicants is similar, though. OOS applicants can be offered a spot any time after Oct 15 and on a rolling basis.

Is there any rationale for getting a pre-match? Is it typically only high-stat individuals, or can lower stat folks maintain their hope?

Is there any rationale for getting a pre-match? Is it typically only high-stat individuals, or can lower stat folks maintain their hope?
If they liked you at your interview, no matter what your stats, you could get a pre-match offer. What it does for a Texan is let them know they have at least one offer, and takes the stress and doubt off you!

Reactions: 3 users
Even though most people don’t get prematches, I’m still lowkey stressed lmao. I just want the uncertainty to be over :)

Reactions: 11 users
Image-1-36.png

Tomorrow (10/15) is the first day that pre-match offers of admission might be made. Pre-match offers are only for TX applicants at TMDSAS schools.
The main benefit of a prematch offer is to ALLAY YOUR ANXIETY, because a pre-match offer is a real offer of admission, and you can rest assured that you WILL be going to a Texas medical school next year.
I hope you will take any pre-match offers as this assurance, and let your level of worry decrease.
Even if you have more interviews coming up, you'll able to relax and be yourself a lot more at those interviews without the fear of "what if I don't get in anywhere?"

Here's how the timeline went last year, to give you an idea, but since I can't forsee the future, I won't predict that it will be exactly the same.
Most offers will be in your e-mail, with exceptions noted below.

UTSW, Long, and UTMB jumped on it after midnight with some offers.
The rest of the schools making offers started at 8am and continued through the day.
Long has stated this year that very few prematch offers will go out, but it doesn't mean they don't like you!
Dell and UTRGV preferred to make their prematch offers by phone call. UTRGV's area code is 956, and Dell's dean made calls from his cell phone which has a California area code!

What do you do when you get a prematch offer? Respond with thanks, tell them you're very honored, excited, whatever you own wording will be. Some schools might want you to fill out some form or information.

What if you get more than one? Exactly the same. You are not required to rank your preferences or narrow down your options right now. The Texas Match Day will do that for you. And, if you eventually end up ranking a school you liked better higher than one that pre-matched you, you are not at risk of losing your spot in the pre-match school's class. But we'll talk more about ranking in January, OK? Cool.

What if you get no prematch offers? Very common. As long as you have had interviews, you have a chance to be accepted in the Match.

Good luck to all y'all!

Reactions: 8 users
I’m much less nervous after getting the one interview invite I did receive so far. Don’t put your life on hold waiting for interview invites or offers to come in. Do what you’d be doing had you not applied at all. As for me, I’m going fishing (well, not now, but when I get off work).

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
OMG got prematched into UTSW and UTMB! Feeling grateful and hoping y'all see similar luck either later today or later in the cycle.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Congrats to all who pre-matched!

Friendly reminder: For those who are holding on to multiple pre-matches and are CERTAIN they don't want to attend a specific school, could you please remember to withdraw the pre-match? It would help out those who are not as fortunate. Thanks!

Reactions: 7 users
The day is not over yet but it seems that moving it up has turned some schools (the techs, tamu) into prematch heavy schools, and other heavy prematch schools have stayed the same. But Mcg and long are radio silent, very odd

Reactions: 2 users
Just to confirm, we can accept all offers and fill out their paperwork. But have until January to get down to just one pre-match?

Just to confirm, we can accept all offers and fill out their paperwork. But have until January to get down to just one pre-match?
You're not limited to ranking pre-match schools. You can rank any schools you interviewed at, and if you rank them higher than a pre-match school, there's a chance you could match to them on Feb 3rd. The video on TMDSAS website explains it well!

Yes, you are free to accept as many pre-match offers as you wish. If you have so many that there are 1 or 2 that you know you won't end up choosing, you may also decline offers. But don't decline any until you have at least one "bird in hand"!

https://www.tmdsas.com/InterviewsAdmissions/TMDSASMatch.html

The day is not over yet but it seems that moving it up has turned some schools (the techs, tamu) into prematch heavy schools, and other heavy prematch schools have stayed the same. But Mcg and long are radio silent, very odd
Do you know why McGovern and Long are silent? Has anyone heard from them? Already 1pm and no postings.

is there any action that actually needs to be taken by us to accept an offer or do we just rank the school we want highest on the match list?

Do you know why McGovern and Long are silent? Has anyone heard from them? Already 1pm and no postings.
McGovern usually hands out a good number of pre-match offers, maybe they want the attention all to themselves and are waiting til later in the day :p

is there any action that actually needs to be taken by us to accept an offer or do we just rank the school we want highest on the match list?
You do need to accept each offer, by whatever method the school tells you. Some will have a link in their email or other instructions. Some schools are asking that you accept within 2 weeks. There is no risk to you of accepting more than one.
On your Match rank list you will rank all schools at which you have interviewed, in order of your preference.

View attachment 283285
Tomorrow (10/15) is the first day that pre-match offers of admission might be made. Pre-match offers are only for TX applicants at TMDSAS schools.
The main benefit of a prematch offer is to ALLAY YOUR ANXIETY, because a pre-match offer is a real offer of admission, and you can rest assured that you WILL be going to a Texas medical school next year.
I hope you will take any pre-match offers as this assurance, and let your level of worry decrease.
Even if you have more interviews coming up, you'll able to relax and be yourself a lot more at those interviews without the fear of "what if I don't get in anywhere?"

Here's how the timeline went last year, to give you an idea, but since I can't forsee the future, I won't predict that it will be exactly the same.
Most offers will be in your e-mail, with exceptions noted below.

UTSW, Long, and UTMB jumped on it after midnight with some offers.
The rest of the schools making offers started at 8am and continued through the day.
Long has stated this year that very few prematch offers will go out, but it doesn't mean they don't like you!
Dell and UTRGV preferred to make their prematch offers by phone call. UTRGV's area code is 956, and Dell's dean made calls from his cell phone which has a California area code!

What do you do when you get a prematch offer? Respond with thanks, tell them you're very honored, excited, whatever you own wording will be. Some schools might want you to fill out some form or information.

What if you get more than one? Exactly the same. You are not required to rank your preferences or narrow down your options right now. The Texas Match Day will do that for you. And, if you eventually end up ranking a school you liked better higher than one that pre-matched you, you are not at risk of losing your spot in the pre-match school's class. But we'll talk more about ranking in January, OK? Cool.

What if you get no prematch offers? Very common. As long as you have had interviews, you have a chance to be accepted in the Match.

Good luck to all y'all!
Any ideas why Long and McGovern are silent as of 3:pm? Usual or Unusual?

What I learned today is that there are a ton more Texas ppl on sdn than I thought lol

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Yesterday was exciting!

By the end of the 24 hours (Texas schools):
70 SDN members announced 111 offers of admission. (yes, some got multiple offers).
Most TMDSAS schools made some prematch offers yesterday.
Long, UTRGV, and Dell have not, so far.

Watching results on SDN gives me a limited view of things, kinda like watching a baseball game through a knothole in a wood fence.
The number of Day 1 SDN member offers is almost exactly the same as last year, even though some folks have commented that it doesn't seem like as much activity. And that's with no offers from those 3 mentioned.

It's just the beginning, y'all, lots of interview time and admission committee meetings yet to come.
Nobody needs to feel lost or hopeless or panicky :thumbup:

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Hello everyone,

I know some of the schools have January interview dates and from what I gathered it seems that the schools are El Paso and McGovern. Am I missing any other schools? I tried looking for interview dates online just do get an idea of what those dates would be but I couldn't find that information online with the exception of UTMB. I am assuming that there are only two interview dates in January ( and please correct me if I am wrong) but do ya'll think it would be Jan 3 and 10? I only ask because I'm interested in traveling for the holidays but I don't want to risk booking something on those dates, (specifically the 3rd) if there is a possibility of getting an interview on that date. Thank you in advance for your help and advice!

Hello everyone,

I know some of the schools have January interview dates and from what I gathered it seems that the schools are El Paso and McGovern. Am I missing any other schools? I tried looking for interview dates online just do get an idea of what those dates would be but I couldn't find that information online with the exception of UTMB. I am assuming that there are only two interview dates in January ( and please correct me if I am wrong) but do ya'll think it would be Jan 3 and 10? I only ask because I'm interested in traveling for the holidays but I don't want to risk booking something on those dates, (specifically the 3rd) if there is a possibility of getting an interview on that date. Thank you in advance for your help and advice!

UTSW has an interview on Jan 4th, not sure about the rest

I'm honestly so scared I did something wrong while filling out forms to accept prematch offer and that the offer will be rescinded bc of that lol. One last bit of neuroticism

Sent from my Pixel 3 using SDN mobile

Same. The form to accept El Paso’s offer was a little confusing and I was so worried I was going to click on decline offer after I had already accepted it

I'm honestly so scared I did something wrong while filling out forms to accept prematch offer and that the offer will be rescinded bc of that lol. One last bit of neuroticism

Sent from my Pixel 3 using SDN mobile

Thats a fat mood lmao. I hit all the checkboxes and accepted within the first 45 seconds of receiving my offer and have spent the last full day rereading everything to make sure I actually hit the right ones

Do we need to start filling out fafsa now or after match day

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Do we need to start filling out fafsa now or after match day

This year's FAFSA opened up for filling in on October 1. Do it while you have time, and then eventually send it to schools where you are accepted or on wait lists.

You can still get II, but its pretty late in the cycle, since most schools stop in late December to prepare for Match day.

Has anyone heard anything about U of H and their accreditation? I know the last 3 new MD schools got their accreditation some time in October during their respective cycles.

Has anyone heard anything about U of H and their accreditation? I know the last 3 new MD schools got their accreditation some time in October during their respective cycles.

Everything I’ve read says February is when they are anticipating being able to start accepting applications. Supposedly only going to seat 30 students the first year. With tuition covered 100% for the inaugural class, I’m sure it will be pretty competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.