The Republic of Texas XXXVIII : The Cowboy Code

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I’m going to a schools second look event is it formal like do I come in a suit again?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad.

I just received an email from Texas Tech regarding setup for an eRaider account. I never got an interview from either TTU medical school. Was this sent out by mistake?
I am not sure but I got an email to set up an eraider account last year when I did not receive an interview and this year I interviewed there and did not get one. I would not look too much into it.

Hi guys! I am struggling with my rank list as well. I prematched to Texas A&M and really love the school but I am not sure about ranking it in comparison to UTMB. Does anyone have some insight?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! I am struggling with my rank list as well. I prematched to Texas A&M and really love the school but I am not sure about ranking it against UTMB. Does anyone have some insight?

Here are some positives I’ve learned from UTMB

- P/F first two years
- All exams are NBME so you’re preparing for step from day 1.
- You take your exams in a testing center on campus so you’re simulating testing conditions as well.
- New Health Education Center for patient simulations is amazing.
- Lectures are now in the HEC building and they have huge screens on all 4 sides of the room plus students sit at round tables where you can sit and talk amongst your colleagues plus there is a mic at the table to ask questions from vs having to shout in a lecture hall.
- Multiple Tracks you can join like Global Health or Public Health and other interesting ones
- Student run clinic you can help at
- Problem Based Learning is 1-2 hours a week MWF. All the students I’ve talked to have loved the PBLs.
- All classes streamed.
- UTMB gives you a lot of freedom to study the way you want and they have academic support offices to help you if you need to learn how to study. Plus the upperclassmen are there to help you.
- Correct me if I’m wrong but you’re pretty much out by 12PM and that’s if you don’t stream lectures.
- A lot of student interest groups.
- Oldest Texas Medical School so very Large network of Alumni & a lot of donors for scholarship money. At my interview my med student host said pretty much everyone gets scholarship money. He said he was an ORM and he still got 15k.
- Very chill and relaxed atmosphere.
- There are not that many distractions on the island but if you do want to do some more fun things, Houston is just a drive up north so you get the best of both worlds.
- Their 5 week META course is a great introductory course vs jumping right into GAR.

Reactions: 6 users
Here are some positives I’ve learned from UTMB

- P/F first two years
- All exams are NBME so you’re preparing for step from day 1.
- You take your exams in a testing center on campus so you’re simulating testing conditions as well.
- New Health Education Center for patient simulations is amazing.
- Lectures are now in the HEC building and they have huge screens on all 4 sides of the room plus students sit at round tables where you can sit and talk amongst your colleagues plus there is a mic at the table to ask questions from vs having to shout in a lecture hall.
- Multiple Tracks you can join like Global Health or Public Health and other interesting ones
- Student run clinic you can help at
- Problem Based Learning is 1-2 hours a week MWF. All the students I’ve talked to have loved the PBLs.
- All classes streamed.
- UTMB gives you a lot of freedom to study the way you want and they have academic support offices to help you if you need to learn how to study. Plus the upperclassmen are there to help you.
- Correct me if I’m wrong but you’re pretty much out by 12PM and that’s if you don’t stream lectures.
- A lot of student interest groups.
- Oldest Texas Medical School so very Large network of Alumni & a lot of donors for scholarship money. At my interview my med student host said pretty much everyone gets scholarship money. He said he was an ORM and he still got 15k.
- Very chill and relaxed atmosphere.
- There are not that many distractions on the island but if you do want to do some more fun things, Houston is just a drive up north so you get the best of both worlds.
- Their 5 week META course is a great introductory course vs jumping right into GAR.
Thank you for all of the information!

Reactions: 1 user
Image-1-42.png

Merry Christmas, all you cowboys and cowgirls!

I'm escaping for a few precious days to the land of snow and cold.
When I come back I'll do a little pre-Match pep talk, with tips, timelines, and please add in your questions.

Enjoy your family time and practice saying, with a smile, "I won't be finding out for sure about medical school until February. I'll be sure to spread the word when I hear something."
Wysdoc

Reactions: 8 users
was wondering if anyone knew if McGovern or Texas Teck - Lubbock accepted updated pre-II? thanks!

Hello everyone! I hope everyone is having a happy holiday break.

I have a question:

I am a Texas resident. Let’s say I get matched to a Texas medical school on match day. I have an interview in January at an out of state school (that may end up being ranked higher on my list). However, I likely won’t get a decision until after Texas match day.

Is it the same as a prematch where I put a deposit down to hold my seat for the Texas school? And if I end up choosing the OOS school do I just tell the admissions board at the Texas school I forfeit my seat?

Any knowledge or help would be very much appreciated!

Hello everyone! I hope everyone is having a happy holiday break.

I have a question:

I am a Texas resident. Let’s say I get matched to a Texas medical school on match day. I have an interview in January at an out of state school (that may end up being ranked higher on my list). However, I likely won’t get a decision until after Texas match day.

Is it the same as a prematch where I put a deposit down to hold my seat for the Texas school? And if I end up choosing the OOS school do I just tell the admissions board at the Texas school I forfeit my seat?

Any knowledge or help would be very much appreciated!
You will end up matched to just one Texas TMDSAS school.
Remember Baylor and TCU/UNTHSC are on the AMCAS application system and so you can't officially rank them for Match Day, though you will rank them in your mind!

You will go to your OOS interview in January and assess it in your mind as it compares to your Texas schools. (opportunities, teaching style, cost).

If you end up getting an offer of admission from your OOS school and you prefer it to the Texas school you matched to, you will accept that offer by whatever means they tell you to, then communicate with the Texas Match school to withdraw from your spot. In your communication be grateful and polite, but wrap up by being clear that you are relinquishing your spot at their school. You don't have to specify where you will be going instead, but you can use some explanatory phrase like "it suits my research interests well" or "it is a better fit for me and/or my family".

You will end up matched to just one Texas TMDSAS school.
Remember Baylor and TCU/UNTHSC are on the AMCAS application system and so you can't officially rank them for Match Day, though you will rank them in your mind!

You will go to your OOS interview in January and assess it in your mind as it compares to your Texas schools. (opportunities, teaching style, cost).

If you end up getting an offer of admission from your OOS school and you prefer it to the Texas school you matched to, you will accept that offer by whatever means they tell you to, then communicate with the Texas Match school to withdraw from your spot. In your communication be grateful and polite, but wrap up by being clear that you are relinquishing your spot at their school. You don't have to specify where you will be going instead, but you can use some explanatory phrase like "it suits my research interests well" or "it is a better fit for me and/or my family".

Thank you so much! I tried finding information online but couldn’t find anything. I appreciate all your help that you have provided :)

Thank you so much! I tried finding information online but couldn’t find anything. I appreciate all your help that you have provided :)
Most Texas schools don't demand a deposit right away so you will probably have enough time to decide.
OOS schools will specifically tell you the date by which they want a commitment, and that date may be a pretty short window if an offer is made late in the game, like in April.
AMCAS timeline for committing to a school is pretty detailed so best to read on it here:

This maybe a question already answered, but does anyone know what the percentage of seats at Texas Medical schools have been taken due to the prematch?

This maybe a question already answered, but does anyone know what the percentage of seats at Texas Medical schools have been taken due to the prematch?
Those kinds of generic questions are pretty much unanswerable, sorry. Add in the fact that many strong applicants have been offered prematch spots at 2, 3, or more schools and counting up at this point is meaningless. (because even those sought-after students can only match at one).

Know that if you have had interviews, you can possibly match. Think over your options carefully and choose your favorites before January 17th :cat:

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the deadline for schools to submit their ranking of applicants is? I remember seeing it somewhere a few months ago, but am having trouble finding it now.

Does anyone know what the deadline for schools to submit their ranking of applicants is? I remember seeing it somewhere a few months ago, but am having trouble finding it now.

January 17th!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can always review these kind of things on the TMDSAS site. They have every fact you could need explained. The important date for YOU as an applicant is to go to your TMDSAS portal and rank all the schools where you have interviewed before 5pm on January 17.
General timeline here:

Hi everyone! I had a quick question for y'all! I am currently in a specialized master's program (since my GPA is one of my weak points) and there has been some delay in processing my fall transcript by TMDSAS with the holidays and my grades have not been updated on my application. Since I am doing much better in this program than undergraduate school I thought it would help to have my grades from this semester in my application. Does anyone know if any of the Texas schools that I have interviewed at will accept my unofficial transcript through email or would it be best just to wait for it to be processed? It has been about 3 weeks so far.
Wait for the official transcript, then send it officially to TMDSAS which will distribute it to all your TX schools.
AMCAS application does not ask for a fall transcript.

Random question. Do schools send you an email saying congratulations when you match to that school in February just to confirm again the acceptance?

Hi everyone. I'm new to this thread, but I wanted to ask how long it usually takes to have our statuses changed to "interviewed" on TMDSAS so we can do our preference list. I only had one MD interview yesterday and the list is due next week. Thanks, y'all!

Hi everyone. I'm new to this thread, but I wanted to ask how long it usually takes to have our statuses changed to "interviewed" on TMDSAS so we can do our preference list. I only had one MD interview yesterday and the list is due next week. Thanks, y'all!

Typically a few days. If it’s not there by Tuesday morning you should call.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 users
Image credits: Creator:impulsephotographyMB.com Copyright:Impulse Photography MB
SteerWrestling.jpg

Action at RodeoHouston

You've worked and written and applied and interviewed, now it's time for action!

FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY! BEFORE 5 PM is the deadline for submitting your rank list on TMDSAS. You must submit it officially via your TMDSAS portal. (Texas applicants only: OOS and most dual-degree applicants run outside the match system.)

1. Rank ALL Texas schools where you have interviewed, in order of your true preference. Anyone with even one interview might Match.
2. Withdraw from any school you don't want to attend come hell or high water, now, before you do the rank list. Of course you are more likely to feel confident to do this if you have at least one pre-match offer.
3. Yes, you are free to rank a school (or schools) above your pre-matched schools. If those favored schools don't match with you, you will still have your pre-match school.
4. If you have more than one pre-match, it doesn't matter, follow #1, you rock star you.
5. You will only end up with one Match.
6. Matches will be officially announced on your TMDSAS portal on Feb 3 at 8 AM.
7. Best psychological strategy at this point: get excited and invested in the school you matched with and don't play the "what if" game. Look ahead to your doctory future.
8. If you must regret and recriminate, it's true that you might be offered WL spots at any schools you ranked above your match school. That's IF a spot opens up due to someone relinquishing their spot later on for a school they like more, usually an AMCAS or OOS school.
You can then fret and hope and wish for your WL school to later add you to its class, right up until orientation day.
9. It is possible to get a status on Match Day Feb 3 of "No Match." Accept any WL spots that may be offered to you and continue to wait and hope. Send any relevant updates to your WL schools.

Reactions: 8 users
Image credits: Creator:impulsephotographyMB.com Copyright:Impulse Photography MB
View attachment 292448
Action at RodeoHouston

You've worked and written and applied and interviewed, now it's time for action!

FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY! BEFORE 5 PM is the deadline for submitting your rank list on TMDSAS. You must submit it officially via your TMDSAS portal. (Texas applicants only: OOS and most dual-degree applicants run outside the match system.)

1. Rank ALL Texas schools where you have interviewed, in order of your true preference. Anyone with even one interview might Match.
2. Withdraw from any school you don't want to attend come hell or high water, now, before you do the rank list. Of course you are more likely to feel confident to do this if you have at least one pre-match offer.
3. Yes, you are free to rank a school (or schools) above your pre-matched schools. If those favored schools don't match with you, you will still have your pre-match school.
4. If you have more than one pre-match, it doesn't matter, follow #1, you rock star you.
5. You will only end up with one Match.
6. Matches will be officially announced on your TMDSAS portal on Feb 3 at 8 AM.
7. Best psychological strategy at this point: get excited and invested in the school you matched with and don't play the "what if" game. Look ahead to your doctory future.
8. If you must regret and recriminate, it's true that you might be offered WL spots at any schools you ranked above your match school. That's IF a spot opens up due to someone relinquishing their spot later on for a school they like more, usually an AMCAS or OOS school.
You can then fret and hope and wish for your WL school to later add you to its class, right up until orientation day.
9. It is possible to get a status on Match Day Feb 3 of "No Match." Accept any WL spots that may be offered to you and continue to wait and hope. Send any relevant updates to your WL schools.

Thanks for all the tips this cycle!!

What’s the purpose of withdrawing a prematch at this time if others aren’t able to receive prematches anymore?

Thanks for all the tips this cycle!!

What’s the purpose of withdrawing a prematch at this time if others aren’t able to receive prematches anymore?
It would be uncommon to do so at this point. But let's say that you have 3 prematches and one is in a location you hate, you can either rank it lowest on your list, or to make absolutely sure you don't go there you could withdraw from that school before submitting your rank list.

22 days! It’s gunna suck if I don’t match, but I have a good feeling I will.

I interviewed at 3 schools all of which were within the prematch window but I didn't prematch to any schools.
Should I start planning for a back-up plan in case I don't get in?
I'm worried because I'm lower than avg in all the schools I interviewed at

I interviewed at 3 schools all of which were within the prematch window but I didn't prematch to any schools.
Should I start planning for a back-up plan in case I don't get in?
I'm worried because I'm lower than avg in all the schools I interviewed at
If you interviewed, you have a chance to match. Many applicants only get 1 interview so you have beat those stats. Rank them as you like, and on Feb 3 you will know whether you matched or have to start buffing up your application.

Is there any data out there on the likelihood of matching/not matching compared to number of interview invites? If we don't match, are we all automatically on a WL for all of the schools we interviewed at?

Is there any data out there on the likelihood of matching/not matching compared to number of interview invites? If we don't match, are we all automatically on a WL for all of the schools we interviewed at?
1. No data on this is published
2. Your impression at the interview will make or break your outcome.
3. Some match with 1 interview and some go to 6 interviews with no match .
4. Wait a few days after Match Day to start hearing back. Schools are allowed to handle WL matters according to their own protocols. Some will put everyone on the WL. Some will make a limited size WL and inform you. Some will email you and ask whether you want to be on their WL.
5. You will only end up on the WL of schools that you had ranked higher than your Match school.

p.s. I thought of some more points:

6. If you are happy with your Match school, you do not HAVE to go on any Wait Lists or accept offers after the match from a WL. It is all up to you, you can stay with what you've got or trade up. The WL process tends to wrap up by June.
7. If you have had no interviews by Match Day, you're done for this application cycle. The only TMDSAS exception this year would be the DO school SHSU, which started its cycle a little late and has some interview dates in February.
8. AMCAS has its own rules and timeline.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
3. Some match with 1 interview and some go to 6 interviews with no match .

Can attest to this! Last year’s cycle I interviewed with 5 schools (all in TX). I got on 4 WL’s and never heard from any of them again. This year I got 3 II’s and one prematch. I really believed the 3:1 rule was basically a law until that happened lol fortunately I can look back and laugh bc I got in somewhere this year.

Reactions: 2 users
Can attest to this! Last year’s cycle I interviewed with 5 schools (all in TX). I got on 4 WL’s and never heard from any of them again. This year I got 3 II’s and one prematch. I really believed the 3:1 rule was basically a law until that happened lol fortunately I can look back and laugh bc I got in somewhere this year.

Why do you think that happened to you last year if you don’t mind me asking?

Why do you think that happened to you last year if you don’t mind me asking?

I actually have no idea lol I thought I did pretty well on my interviews, especially with one being my alma mater. I’ve always gotten on WL’s whenever I interview (been at this for a couple cycles now), so maybe my LOR’s put me over the top this time around? I couldn’t say for sure.

Can anyone confirm that this is what your school ranking page on TMDSAS should look like once you've ranked your schools? I'm paranoid b/c the page still has the option "Not ready to enter preferences".

View attachment 292738
Thanks for putting up the screen shot, @DracoDormiens. Since I'm not an applicant I can't really see the application portal.

I asked someone at TMDSAS this same question recently and they told me just what this screen shows:
At the top in BLUE letters it says "School preference rank was successfully saved".
Click the "Save & Submit" button.

They also recommended you screen-shot or print your list, because this section of your TMDSAS portal will not be available to you after the deadline. That will save you the worry of "did I submit the order I intended?"

I was also told by a TMDSAS staff member that if you haven’t submitted your rank list by now, they will send you a reminder email.

What are y’all waiting for ?

Nothing else needs to be done right? I've saved numerous times, just stressing as I'm sure others are about something being forgotten and the entire cycle being flushed

Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone confirm that this is what your school ranking page on TMDSAS should look like once you've ranked your schools? I'm paranoid b/c the page still has the option "Not ready to enter preferences".

View attachment 292738

My understanding is that that button is only there because the deadline hasn’t passed, so that is technically still an option. You could still be deciding, so you can press that to move to the next page of your application. Idk why you’d need to do that, considering the application has been submitted for a while so you can change anything, but I guess it’s for continuity.

The system is pretty jank, I wish once you submitted it saved or something and greyed out the numbers lol

Is there data out for amount of hours slept the night before match :lol:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
DO NOT FORGET TO RANK YOUR PROGRAMS BEFORE 5 PM CST.

tenor.gif

"do the thing" by 5 pm Central Time Zone today

Rank your interviewed schools in order and "save" on your TMDSAS portal.
You might get your #1 choice and you might not, that's why there's a Match algorithm.
It also depends on where the schools rank you. Your choices are not seen by the schools before they do their rank list (double blind).
If you come in pretty low on the list your schools make, it is possible to not match. However, if you have had some interviews, you could still get in later (between February and June) from a Wait List.

Save that list, breathe a sigh of relief, and go do something else for a couple of weeks!

Reactions: 4 users
I feel like I’ve explained the match process so many times when people ask me what school I’m going to lol. I really like that we do the match system though

Reactions: 10 users
Please take the time to relax and BREATHE this weekend, y’all! Stressing doesn’t make anything better, so just trust that you made a positive impression with your interviewers and wait for Monday. And this is only the beginning! I know is Type A’s can always imagine the worst, but don’t ever cut yourself short! You deserve to be here! I’ve been saying this to myself so I thought I’d share lol

Reactions: 14 users
Tomorrow morning you will get the Match news from TMDSAS. See it by logging in to your portal after 8am.

I wish you all the best. The chance to study medicine is a wonderful privilege.

Even if you get the dreaded message "no match" tomorrow, a lot can happen between now and med school orientation time, with invitations to join a class from a wait list. Remember, there are a good number of sought-after applicants with more than one pre-match offer from Texas schools. They will emerge from Match Day with only one school, so obviously there will be some reshuffling and reconsideration of all applicants still under consideration, by all the Texas schools.

No matter what happens tomorrow, you are still the same smart, ambitious person you were today and your mama still loves you!

72ed94b517897708ed4e8c9a2b09717f.jpg

Image credit: Allan Grant for Life Magazine, baby cowgirl is Jean Anne Evans

Reactions: 17 users
Tomorrow morning you will get the Match news from TMDSAS. See it by logging in to your portal after 8am.

I wish you all the best. The chance to study medicine is a wonderful privilege.

Even if you get the dreaded message "no match" tomorrow, a lot can happen between now and med school orientation time, with invitations to join a class from a wait list. Remember, there are a good number of sought-after applicants with more than one pre-match offer from Texas schools. They will emerge from Match Day with only one school, so obviously there will be some reshuffling and reconsideration of all applicants still under consideration, by all the Texas schools.

No matter what happens tomorrow, you are still the same smart, ambitious person you were today and your mama still loves you!

View attachment 294436
Image credit: Allan Grant for Life Magazine, baby cowgirl is Jean Anne Evans

Does the match not take care of the multiple pre-match offers candidates get? I thought waitlist movement is due to AMCAS/Baylor matriculants and consequent shuffling between TMDSAS schools?

Does the match not take care of the multiple pre-match offers candidates get? I thought waitlist movement is due to AMCAS/Baylor matriculants and consequent shuffling between TMDSAS schools?

It does. Waitlist movement can be from literally anything, including a student with multiple pre match offers matching to one school, which opens up spots in the other schools’ classes. It can also be if a student is on a waitlist and they get accepted elsewhere, the waitlist gets shorter when that student leaves the list.

It does. Waitlist movement can be from literally anything, including a student with multiple pre match offers matching to one school, which opens up spots in the other schools’ classes. It can also be if a student is on a waitlist and they get accepted elsewhere, the waitlist gets shorter when that student leaves the list.

Yeah but Im pretty sure the match takes care of the open spot in other schools's classes, based on the algorithim. I think all schools will have their classes filled through the match then waitlist movement starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.