The stupid little things that keep you motivated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GWD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got blood work back from pathology, and they had my name listed as the the Attending Physician :laugh:

Looks pretty cool to see that on an official looking document... heh

Members don't see this ad.

Just got blood work back from pathology, and they had my name listed as the the Attending Physician :laugh:

Looks pretty cool to see that on an official looking document... heh

that's cool... I'm just having trouble remembering why I should be studying for the MCATs and how to stay sane dealing with the ridiculously inept pre-health office at my uni.

Googling your own name and seeing a bunch of your publications. Lame, but awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
ooo... I got one. We're trying to find a new home for my research (got rejected by a bitter reviewer at IAI). Resubmitting to Microbiology, and hopefully it'll get accepted. Wish me luck.

My main motivation? Lack of desire to get a real job. I'm not big into boozing and women. :p

Ok, so seriously, I'd have to say that right now what motivates me is that I'm reaching the point where I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. One of the biggest things I love about med school is that, unlike grad school, you know *exactly* when you will graduate. :thumbup: Plus, even if you hate what you're doing, no worries--in a few weeks, you'll be on to the next rotation.

Sometimes I really struggle not to laugh when someone addresses me as "Doctor". It just sounds so pretentious and formal, especially in a non-clinical setting. Unfortunately, the urge to laugh can hit me with no warning even in clinic, so I always have to be on my guard. Besides the fact that giggling in clinic is completely unprofessional, I would never want a patient to think that I was laughing at them.

Googling your own name and seeing a bunch of your publications. Lame, but awesome.
I like doing that too, so by definition, that's not lame. :)

What keeps me going? Keeping lots of projects going on at once. When MS2 was killing me, I remembered I had a conference presentation coming up. When research was stalled, I applied for grants. It's hard to feel down about one project falling through when you've got 3 other apps out and a paper being published.

what motivates me is that I'm reaching the point where I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. One of the biggest things I love about med school is that, unlike grad school, you know *exactly* when you will graduate. :thumbup:

As one still in the tunnel, I would have to say that I'm motivated by the dangling carrot that is "graduation."

4-5 Day Get-aways

Just got back from Denver...

Climbing Loveland's Pass (elev. 11,990 ft.) while driving up to Breckenridge:

0719081454il2.jpg

haha - this!

Thanks, guys. Haven't been here in a while, and this just made M2 not seem quite so bad!