TMDSAS and secondary question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jss7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

One of the optional essays on TMDSAS on culture is very similar to a secondary essay question on Texas A&M's secondary app, is it ok to copy and paste the one I wrote for TMDSAS and use for Texas A&M?

Or do I need to rewrite?

Texas A&M will get the TMDSAS app but I didn't know if it looks bad if I use the same essay?

What are people's thoughts?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

A&M prompt: Describe briefly any experiences and/or skills that have made you more sensitive or appreciative of other cultures or the human condition.

Tmdsas prompt:
Please describe any personal characteristics and/or important or challenging experiences you have had that will contribute to the diversity of or provide educational benefits to the student body.

The essay I wrote for TMDSAS would answer the prompt for A&M but then again they would have the same essay twice? I was thinking to re write but use some of the same stuff? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just did this application last year, and I answered the two differently. I believe that the first one is to describe experiences that will help you deal with the patients of different cultures and ideologies you'll have to deal with. For example, working in different types of clinics with people of different nationalities and cultures etc...

The TMDSAS prompt is talking about something different, it's talking about how your experiences will effect your interaction with your peers in medical school.

So...boiled down, I interpret it as Interactions with different types of patients vs. Interactions with peers in medical school

I would agree that you need to submit 2 seperate essasys- no adcom is going to like it if you appear to be lazy. Be thoughtful think of it as extra space to impress them. Certainly don't leave it blank or copy and paste- it will look bad.

This is a different question, but I didn't want to make a different thread..

When should I have my secondaries in? My TMDSAS primary were sent to schools on 8/10. I just took my MCAT on 8/12. I was wondering if I should have my secondaries in ASAP or will I have a little more time because my scores won't be in til sept? Will it affect my chances if I send in the secondaries before sept 12th, but not now?

I had gone over the first prompt in my personal statement, and in another question of the secondary. I had been doing way too many secondaries at around that time, so perhaps stupidly I put that I had gone over the question elsewhere in the application and did not want to waste their valuable time on stuff that I had already gone over. ooops well if i get a rejection, Ill know why.

Status
Not open for further replies.