Touro-CA MSMHS 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How are your stats? If you have an average MCAT then add the new DO schools.

I didn't do too well on the MCAT so i'm retaking it in April. For my GPA, i have cGPA of 3.176 and sGPA of 2.9

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I didn't do too well on the MCAT so i'm retaking it in April. For my GPA, i have cGPA of 3.176 and sGPA of 2.9
Well the good news is that if you are accepted into the MSMHS program and do well, they won’t care about the MCAT score. I would make sure though that you are scoring at least above a 500 on practice tests before you retake. Schools wanna see that you changed your study habits for the better. The MCAT is an awful soul crushing test and it would really suck to have to take it a third time. (Like I did)

Reactions: 1 user
Well the good news is that if you are accepted into the MSMHS program and do well, they won’t care about the MCAT score. I would make sure though that you are scoring at least above a 500 on practice tests before you retake. Schools wanna see that you changed your study habits for the better. The MCAT is an awful soul crushing test and it would really suck to have to take it a third time. (Like I did)
I very much agree with this. Kus gives good advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten accepted to their DO program from their MSMHS program?

Has anyone gotten accepted to their DO program from their MSMHS program?
From the current masters class? No. None of them have interviewed yet. Last year's class had 27 or 28 accepted I think. And another few from last year's class were accepted for this coming year.

Submitted 2/12 while waiting on LOR. Then received two complete emails on 2/20 then another a week later. Not sure why!
No MCAT (taking in June), ~3.2cGPA, ~3.0sGPA
Crossing my fingers for this!! Good luck to all applying this cycle.

Submitted 2/12 while waiting on LOR. Then received two complete emails on 2/20 then another a week later. Not sure why!
Good luck to you too! I'm still waiting on response and is soo nerve wrecking!

Goodluck! Still waiting on one more LOR before submitting my application!
Keep us updated on when you hear back!

Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting on a response

Complete e-mail received 2/6/2018

I submitted back in January
Spring break is in 2 weeks. I don't think they'll be making any application decisions before then. I think last year they didn't send out any acceptance letters until some time in April

There are several different people who read each application, all of whom are very busy, so it takes a while

Hey everyone. Current MSMHS student here, applying to Touro this cycle. I also applied to other schools this cycle. If you have any questions that haven't already been answered by Cal_EMT or kus, let me know. You can send me a message or respond here, and I will give you my honest opinion about the program in its current state. Don't worry about hearing back from the program in a timely fashion, it might take a while. Honestly, I applied the day before the deadline was due (which I obviously do not recommend) and I heard back a month later. So don't think that your application is ever too late. You might be waiting until next month at earliest to hear back. but regardless good luck to all of you!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone. Current MSMHS student here, applying to Touro this cycle. I also applied to other schools this cycle. If you have any questions that haven't already been answered by Cal_EMT or kus, let me know. You can send me a message or respond here, and I will give you my honest opinion about the program in its current state. Don't worry about hearing back from the program in a timely fashion, it might take a while. Honestly, I applied the day before the deadline was due (which I obviously do not recommend) and I heard back a month later. So don't think that your application is ever too late. You might be waiting until next month at earliest to hear back. but regardless good luck to all of you!
Hi! Thank you for wanting to share your experience.
I’m curious to know why you chose to go into the MSMHS program initially and if it helped you overall? Do you consider it worth the tuition when weighing what you got out of it?

Also, if you don’t mind sharing your success within the program. Do you feel confident that you will maltriculate into the DO class in the fall?

Last edited:
Hi! Thank you for wanting to share your experience.
I’m curious to know why you chose to go into the MSMHS program initially and if it helped you overall? Do you consider it worth the tuition when weighing what you got out of it?

Also, if you don’t mind sharing your success within the program. Do you feel confident that you will maltriculate into the DO class in the fall?
Congrats on getting accepted Banosay! Initially, I wanted to go into the program to improve my grades and overall application. I had a bumpy academic start in college and I have major test taking anxiety (great for medical school I know), so that led to some mediocre stats. I had also only ever taken the basic pre-med classes and hadn't taken anything advanced besides biochemistry.

That being said, this program has given me a glimpse into the pace and difficulty of classes in medical school. It has forced me to become better at time management, develop more effective study habits, and really give me an answer on whether or not I can handle medical school. The master's year is essentially "Med School-Lite" although it is no cake walk, as you will take a watered down version of classes that Touro students take throughout M1 and M2. Overall, this program has definitely helped me not only academically but exposing me to osteopathy. I grew up primarily in an MD environment and being exposed to the DO philosophy was refreshing for me, albeit new. I would say that it is never easy to drop ~25K on a master's program without knowing the definitive results, but if you are financially able to, this program is definitely worth it. Besides that, I think the people I have met in my class and COM are amazing. It's really like any work environment, where you will meet some people who you don't vibe with, and others who can become life long friends and study buddies. When figuring out whether or not to enroll the program, I would say that if your goal is to improve your stats for medical school ( DO or MD), then it is definitely one of the better programs, but it is also important that you come in with the perspective of taking advantage of this program not only acknowledging the academic aspect, but networking throughout the school, making connections with faculty and students that may in the end help your application to Touro if that is where you choose to apply. If you are thinking of applying to other schools in addition (which I highly encourage as many students have done that), it could be a different story but overall there are many positives to the program. If you are able to handle the workload and make sustainable connections, you will put yourself in an ideal position to succeed with your medical school application.

As for me, I never want to say that anything medical school related is a sure thing, because it is not. Even with good statistics, if you are terrible at interviewing, this can really impede your success. Overall, I feel that I have done well enough in the program to be considered a competent and worthy applicant to the DO class in the fall. I believe that I am putting my best foot forward and I would like to think that the admissions team will take note of that. If you have any more questions , keep them coming! Hopefully this helps a little with your decision, as there are many different aspects to consider. If you decide to attend the program, then we can discuss specific strategies for the program, and how to specifically navigate a DO master's program vs. an MD master's program.

Reactions: 2 users

Hi! I'm applying this semester and am curious what your favorite things about the program are? Do you feel supported by school admin? What are some of the opportunities you find on/around campus to be more helpful for success? I've talked to some alumni from the DO program and they seem to have really good things to say about Touro-CA but want to hear a bit more opinions from the MSMHS on things they like (& dislike!) about the school, area, and program. I live a few hours south of the school on the central coast and would love to attend because I'm only applying DO and would ideally love to be somewhat close to family & SO.

Also, another random question - how feasible would it be to have dogs while in the program? Are the classes all day/it is reasonable to leave campus during lunch? I'm debating on whether I would bring my dogs if I were to be accepted or if I should leave them with family (especially the fall semester). Thanks for your time answering questions!

Congrats on getting accepted Banosay! Initially, I wanted to go into the program to improve my grades and overall application. I had a bumpy academic start in college and I have major test taking anxiety (great for medical school I know), so that led to some mediocre stats. I had also only ever taken the basic pre-med classes and hadn't taken anything advanced besides biochemistry.

That being said, this program has given me a glimpse into the pace and difficulty of classes in medical school. It has forced me to become better at time management, develop more effective study habits, and really give me an answer on whether or not I can handle medical school. The master's year is essentially "Med School-Lite" although it is no cake walk, as you will take a watered down version of classes that Touro students take throughout M1 and M2. Overall, this program has definitely helped me not only academically but exposing me to osteopathy. I grew up primarily in an MD environment and being exposed to the DO philosophy was refreshing for me, albeit new. I would say that it is never easy to drop ~25K on a master's program without knowing the definitive results, but if you are financially able to, this program is definitely worth it. Besides that, I think the people I have met in my class and COM are amazing. It's really like any work environment, where you will meet some people who you don't vibe with, and others who can become life long friends and study buddies. When figuring out whether or not to enroll the program, I would say that if your goal is to improve your stats for medical school ( DO or MD), then it is definitely one of the better programs, but it is also important that you come in with the perspective of taking advantage of this program not only acknowledging the academic aspect, but networking throughout the school, making connections with faculty and students that may in the end help your application to Touro if that is where you choose to apply. If you are thinking of applying to other schools in addition (which I highly encourage as many students have done that), it could be a different story but overall there are many positives to the program. If you are able to handle the workload and make sustainable connections, you will put yourself in an ideal position to succeed with your medical school application.

As for me, I never want to say that anything medical school related is a sure thing, because it is not. Even with good statistics, if you are terrible at interviewing, this can really impede your success. Overall, I feel that I have done well enough in the program to be considered a competent and worthy applicant to the DO class in the fall. I believe that I am putting my best foot forward and I would like to think that the admissions team will take note of that. If you have any more questions , keep them coming! Hopefully this helps a little with your decision, as there are many different aspects to consider. If you decide to attend the program, then we can discuss specific strategies for the program, and how to specifically navigate a DO master's program vs. an MD master's program.
well said. I agree.

Thank you SpaceDoctor8 for your response and insight! It is very reassuring yet clear to see that the hard work has yet to begin. My main focus for pursing this program is to make up for my academic profile, but I am gunna keep your advice in mind in regards to networking and understanding the well-rounded aspect of a great medical school applicant. I submitted my acceptance deposit/form earlier today and I am looking forward to starting this summer. I would love any other advice/strategies you may have to succeed in the MSMHS.

I also had a question regarding financial aid. Does anyone know how it works to request/receive for more than the tuition amount? I understand that you would probably have to request through the portal under FA awards, but does the tuition get paid for then the remainder gets deposited into your provided account sometime before orientation?

Hey There
New account but i have been reading this thread and its previous year's iteration for a few days.
I plan on applying to MSMHS program within the next few days, just wanted to check in here to gauge my chances.
I have a 3.19 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA, 511 MCAT.
Ive been working as an EMT since jan/feb. I volunteered 100hrs in ER in Santa Barbara during undergrad. Currently volunteering at a hospital gift shop to earn ability to volunteer in surgery dept (should start surgery in may/jun) and subsequently doctor shadowing (in fall). Also did around 200 hrs of Research Assisting in senior year of undergrad. LOR's are solid
Note: i have a bit of a roller coaster gpa. Failed out of UCSB freshman year, got back in, killed it soph year, struggled at beginning of junior year, then did well again end of jr begining of sr. last quarter of sr year was mediocre.

I know this is a lot of info, and I'm definitely an odd case. Just curious to see what ya'll think my chances are. Any opinions are much appreciated

Hey There
New account but i have been reading this thread and its previous year's iteration for a few days.
I plan on applying to MSMHS program within the next few days, just wanted to check in here to gauge my chances.
Ive been working as an EMT since jan/feb. I volunteered 100hrs in ER in Santa Barbara during undergrad. Currently volunteering at a hospital gift shop to earn ability to volunteer in surgery dept (should start surgery in may/jun) and subsequently doctor shadowing (in fall). Also did around 200 hrs of Research Assisting in senior year of undergrad. LOR's are solid
Note: i have a bit of a roller coaster gpa. Failed out of UCSB freshman year, got back in, killed it soph year, struggled at beginning of junior year, then did well again end of jr begining of sr. last quarter of sr year was mediocre.

I know this is a lot of info, and I'm definitely an odd case. Just curious to see what ya'll think my chances are. Any opinions are much appreciated
Good chance you’ll get in. Do well in the program and you’ll get an acceptance not only to Touro-Ca, but to other DO schools as well. You already have a good MCAT, you just need to prove you can handle medical school related coursework. Just make sure you are ready to grind from day one.

Reactions: 1 users
Good chance you’ll get in. Do well in the program and you’ll get an acceptance not only to Touro-Ca, but to other DO schools as well. You already have a good MCAT, you just need to prove you can handle medical school related coursework. Just make sure you are ready to grind from day one.
Okay right on. Thank you.
I'll definitely be ready to grind

Hi! I'm applying this semester and am curious what your favorite things about the program are? Do you feel supported by school admin? What are some of the opportunities you find on/around campus to be more helpful for success? I've talked to some alumni from the DO program and they seem to have really good things to say about Touro-CA but want to hear a bit more opinions from the MSMHS on things they like (& dislike!) about the school, area, and program. I live a few hours south of the school on the central coast and would love to attend because I'm only applying DO and would ideally love to be somewhat close to family & SO.

Also, another random question - how feasible would it be to have dogs while in the program? Are the classes all day/it is reasonable to leave campus during lunch? I'm debating on whether I would bring my dogs if I were to be accepted or if I should leave them with family (especially the fall semester). Thanks for your time answering questions!

hi ch91! What I like --> So I think my favorite thing about this program has been the diverse group of people I have met. As a non-native California resident, I always appreciate the opportunity to meet people from different backgrounds and be challenged on different ideas. I feel that I have made a really great group of friends from this program that has made the transition to California easier (not to mention the stress of studying in the program). I also think that this program and Touro provides many opportunities for community and shadowing work, whether its through their Student Run free clinic, their MOBEC program (focus on diabetes), and lunchtime OMM clinic that you are free to shadow. This overlaps with your other question about opportunities for success on campus. In addition, you can often try to shadow Touro physicians at the free clinic they have in Vacaville and Fairfield. I think that most of the faculty in the Master's program, who often teach classes in the DO program too, are there to support you. They hold office hours, and sometimes review sessions to help you really understand the material, there is no shortage of help either from faculty, the program directors, or former Master's students. So don't be afraid to use your resources! Also, you get the Jewish holidays off, which really helps you out during the Fall semester.

Dislikes--> The mosquitoes during warm weather seasons, even though this seems trivial, it honestly gets annoying because the mosquitoes can be very vicious. When you first get on campus, you may be a little worried that you walked onto the set of the Walking Dead, but fear not, it is important to take note that there are some abandoned buildings around because Mare Island used to be a naval base. It is not the most aesthetically pleasing campus, but it is a work in progress. I think that the campus lacks a strong focus on social justice and diversity, and even though they mention it, the general student population is somewhat lackluster on this. In terms of location, Vallejo does not have the most things, but you are still in the Bay area and if you ever want a break from the library or the island, SF and Berkeley are only 20 minutes away. There is one main library that all the students generally study and hang out in. There is a quiet section and loud section for whatever your needs may be, but it can be a bit stressful that this is the main place where students congregate when you just want to study.

Good question about dogs, because I wanted to get a dog in this program. The classes go from Monday-Friday, and generally are between the hours of 9/10-4 depending on the semester and classes. It is POSSIBLE to have a dog, but I would say that you may run into some time management problems especially when you are studying for Block exams and need to not only take care of yourself, but your pet. I have observed people have trouble even taking care of themselves, and self care is one of the most underrated priorities in this program. During lunch, you can definitely leave campus to go for lunch and either go back to your place on Mare Island or in Vallejo, any father it might be difficult. You usually get out of class at 11:50 AM and class restarts at 1 PM. To make it easier, I would say to leave your dog with your family for the fall semester, get a better gauge on your time management after the first few weeks, and then decide from there.

Keep the questions coming! Feel free to ask here, or PM me if you have more personal or specific questions. Hopefully I addressed all of your questions.

Thank you SpaceDoctor8 for your response and insight! It is very reassuring yet clear to see that the hard work has yet to begin. My main focus for pursing this program is to make up for my academic profile, but I am gunna keep your advice in mind in regards to networking and understanding the well-rounded aspect of a great medical school applicant. I submitted my acceptance deposit/form earlier today and I am looking forward to starting this summer. I would love any other advice/strategies you may have to succeed in the MSMHS.

I also had a question regarding financial aid. Does anyone know how it works to request/receive for more than the tuition amount? I understand that you would probably have to request through the portal under FA awards, but does the tuition get paid for then the remainder gets deposited into your provided account sometime before orientation?

Congrats in officially submitting your deposit! In regards to the financial aid questions, I have always been a little fuzzy on those kind of details. If I remember correctly, I filled out my FAFSA, and then requested a certain amount for the year, for which I think the master's program gives you an estimate of how much you might need on their website, and then that amount was automatically released to your Touro account each semester (I think you have to officially click confirm release in order to do this). If anyone else here has a better recollection of the financial aid process, by all means chime in, I am still trying to navigate the financial aid realm myself.

As for strategies for the success in the MSMHS program, advice about specific professors can be given once you attend orientation and maybe meet some of the previous master's students. Overall, I would say be prepared to work hard throughout the whole year, starting from Day 1 as kus676 mentioned. The program is very fast paced and mimics the med school curriculum in such a way that it will teach you (aka force you) to learn optimal study habits including time management. It is not out of the ordinary that you will be studying every day after class in the library or at home , and even on weekends. Try not to make many social commitments outside of class for the first few months in order to get a better idea about how much time you need to study per week. This is important because many people underestimate the first few weeks and often fall behind and freak out. Just pace yourself, and MOST importantly, always take care of yourself. There will never be "free time", so you have to make time for yourself, go to the gym after class, go out to dinner with friends on Friday night, take breaks in between study sessions, change the environment in which you study. And obviously, get some sleep. Even this piece of advice I have trouble taking, but it really is the key to success especially on exams when you have to remember that one random fact from like 3 weeks ago in that one random packet. Also make sure to find yourself a solid group of people to study with, because they can be your lifesaver, academically and emotionally. If you are able to study by yourself and you are efficient, then by all means don't change, but your ability to work with your classmates can be a good reflection on how you would perform in a medical school setting, and often times you won't have enough time to make study guides for all the information presented to you.

Spacedoctor8 pretty much nailed it. I honestly don't have much else to add about the masters program. And yes, the mosquitoes are HORRIBLE. They're incredibly aggressive, even biting through jeans. Swatting at them does not deter them and they are around April through late October. Invest in some good bug spray. DEET doesn't seem to bother them at all.... I've had some success with picaridin but that's about it. I carry topical benadryl and a topical steroid with me to school cuz I tend to attract them extra bad.

So I just retook my mcat and I felt really violated by the exam. I haven’t gotten my score yet but I don’t feel too confident in it. I was scoring about 508-510 on my practice AAMC and now i'm praying I even get a 500 on the actual test.

I'm not too sure what to do next if I don't get a 500. Does anyone have any advice/recommendation on what I should do so that I can still be eligible for the interview for DO (if i get accepted to the MHS program).

Also, has anyone else heard back?

Last edited:
So I just retook my mcat and I felt really violated by the exam. I haven’t gotten my score yet but I don’t feel too confident in it. I was scoring about 508-510 on my practice AAMC and now i'm praying I even get a 500 on the actual test.

I'm not too sure what to do next if I don't get a 500. Does anyone have any advice/recommendation on what I should do so that I can still be eligible for the interview for DO (if i get accepted to the MHS program).

Is there a new cutoff at 500 for an interview? It was my understanding that any subpar MCAT before the program is overlooked with a good GPA. Things could have changed though.

For an interview for the DO program from MSMHS you need a 490 MCAT correct? And for admission into MSMHS you don’t necessarily need MCAT.

As people have said, it seems like admission to the DO program from MSMHS is based primarily on your MS program GPA as well as involvement with osteopathic resources during your time at Touro.

I’m just an applicant but I hope this helps.

I have a general question for the app. Is it marked submitted, and then complete? Or are those the same thing?
Currently my app is marked as submitted on myapp, and I have received an email from Touro acknowledging receipt. Is this the same as a "complete" app?

I have a general question for the app. Is it marked submitted, and then complete? Or are those the same thing?
Currently my app is marked as submitted on myapp, and I have received an email from Touro acknowledging receipt. Is this the same as a "complete" app?

I think someone from admission will email you and say that your application is complete and that it’s with the committee. At least that’s what they did for me. You can email Naisha Bible and ask for your status on ur application.

I think someone from admission will email you and say that your application is complete and that it’s with the committee. At least that’s what they did for me. You can email Naisha Bible and ask for your status on ur application.

Okay, makes sense. Thanks
Have you heard back yet?

For an interview for the DO program from MSMHS you need a 490 MCAT correct? And for admission into MSMHS you don’t necessarily need MCAT.

As people have said, it seems like admission to the DO program from MSMHS is based primarily on your MS program GPA as well as involvement with osteopathic resources during your time at Touro.

I’m just an applicant but I hope this helps.
Yes, the minimum if you're in the masters is 490. But is the minimum. They take your program performance in consideration probably more than the MCAT. But you also need to show that you know what Osteopathic Medicine is, and be active in touro stuff outside of class (ie volunteering)

And I don't think they've sent out any acceptances yet, but I'm not part of that process so idk for sure. I think they started sending out acceptances around this time last year though

I believe it's only complete after they've received all of your supporting documents (ie transcripts and LORs )

And I don't think they've sent out any acceptances yet, but I'm not part of that process so idk for sure. I think they started sending out acceptances around this time last year though
I received my acceptance during their spring break! Its possible that apps submitted and verified after break may take a couple more weeks.

Just received an email stating my app is complete and all materials have been received. Fingers crossed!

I received my acceptance during their spring break! Its possible that apps submitted and verified after break may take a couple more weeks.
congrats! I didn't realize they had begun sending out acceptances already. And yes, it's rolling admissions, so they are reviewed as they're received, but it can take a while to process everything.

Hey There

Have you not applied this cycle for DO? Your chances are to get into DO without SMP if you apply broadly unless you want to stay in CA. I would suggest even you go to SMP, still apply to DO this coming cycle, you will get in somewhere.

Anxiously waiting for my LORs to submit the application! I have my heart set on this program so really hoping I'm not too late in applying. Should I submit the app now while waiting for the LORs so it can be marked completed as soon as they arrive?

Hi All, I was accepted into the program to start this fall and had a couple questions. The master calendar says that Orientation is August 1-3 for COM. Are we included in that? When should we assume that classes start? Immediately after etc? Was hoping to plan a trip with my wife, but her school break isn't until mid August. Probably SOL, but figured I'd ask.

Second, is there a winter break? When was the last day of finals for the Fall semester? Thanks everyone. Looking forward to this coming year.

Anxiously waiting for my LORs to submit the application! I have my heart set on this program so really hoping I'm not too late in applying. Should I submit the app now while waiting for the LORs so it can be marked completed as soon as they arrive?
I was in the same predicament but I decided to just submit while waiting to get the ball rolling. Here's an email response from Lorissa when I asked her about it:
"To answer your question about whether or not your app will be reviewed without the letters of Rec., I believe we need all components of your application for it to be reviewed by the Admissions Committee faculty. However, you should submit your app, without the letters of Rec., and then I can periodically review your app to see when they come in from the evaluators and forward them. The letters of Rec come directly to Touro, so you do not have access to them and won’t be able to see them, so I would advise you to send the evaluators the request for an evaluation, (you are able to request this in the lettere of Rec section of the application), then submit your application. If they do not submit their evaluations in the next week or so, I can go into your app and send them a reminder to do so, if necessary."

Hi All, I was accepted into the program to start this fall and had a couple questions. The master calendar says that Orientation is August 1-3 for COM. Are we included in that? When should we assume that classes start? Immediately after etc? Was hoping to plan a trip with my wife, but her school break isn't until mid August. Probably SOL, but figured I'd ask.

Second, is there a winter break? When was the last day of finals for the Fall semester? Thanks everyone. Looking forward to this coming year.
Hi! If you go to the new student info website that was referenced in your acceptance letter, it says orientation starts August 6th. That is the campus wide orientation and the program orientation is usually the following two days.

I'm not sure if you can submit it before you have your LORs. Might be a good idea to email Ms. Bible and ask first. But if you can, it might be a good idea to do so.

Hi! If you go to the new student info website that was referenced in your acceptance letter, it says orientation starts August 6th. That is the campus wide orientation and the program orientation is usually the following two days.
You are required to go to the campus wide orientation. You will be dropped from the program if you don't go.