Touro-CA MSMHS 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all. I was recently accepted to the MSMHS program for Fall 2018. I have a question for current or former students of this program. I don't have a lot of experience with loans/financial aid, but I was wondering how the process for repaying federal loans for this program works. As I understand, students are normally required to begin paying back loans when the degree is completed, unless they go back to school. Is this what students of the MSMHS do (defer loan payments for 4 years, until after completing medical school)?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all. I was recently accepted to the MSMHS program for Fall 2018. I have a question for current or former students of this program. I don't have a lot of experience with loans/financial aid, but I was wondering how the process for repaying federal loans for this program works. As I understand, students are normally required to begin paying back loans when the degree is completed, unless they go back to school. Is this what students of the MSMHS do (defer loan payments for 4 years, until after completing medical school)?
I started repayment 6 months after graduation and am now in the income based repayment plan. You can keep a payment plan like this throughout school or u can defer each year with an option to pay interest. I believe you will need to be a full time student though.

Congrats on getting accepted!! May I ask when you submitted your app and when you got your acceptance notification?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a 502 and got in cause I did well in the program, 510 would pretty much guarantee u get in. However this is assuming you have a good gpa. The GPA is weighed more heavily and also good LORs from the professors.
Do you mean GPA in regard to the masters or your undergraduate GPA?

Yes, you can do an in-school deferment once you start school. I think you have a 6 month grace period before you have to start paying it if you're not in school. However, interest accrues starting on day 1.
During orientation you will have a talk from financial aid about stuff like that

Hi everyone, I am applying right now to the program, I know I am kind of late. On the application where it says to talk about our volunteer/clinical/work duties, Did you all discuss it as if it was a resume listing off what you did or more like the med school app where we talk about what we did and what we took away from it? Thanks!

Hi everyone, I am applying right now to the program, I know I am kind of late. On the application where it says to talk about our volunteer/clinical/work duties, Did you all discuss it as if it was a resume listing off what you did or more like the med school app where we talk about what we did and what we took away from it? Thanks!
I *think* either would be acceptable, but I haven't seen the application in 2 years... If it says something like "discuss your experience" then it would probably be better to write it in paragraph form. Alternatively if it says "list your experiences" then resume style may be more appropriate.

Good luck with your application

Thanks! Yea it said "Please list your volunteer experience, if any. Include the position title, dates, total hours, hours per week, and description of responsibilities" so to me it was just a grey area.

Thanks! Yea it said "Please list your volunteer experience, if any. Include the position title, dates, total hours, hours per week, and description of responsibilities" so to me it was just a grey area.
Probably best to list it then.

So I sort of did a combination of the two. Like for an internship I basically copied my duties/responsibilites from my resume but added a bulletpoint of something I gained from it. Kept it short and sweet though. I applied 3 weeks ago and havent heard back yet so I dont think you’re too late. Looking back at the threads from previous years for this program it seems like people apply late and still hear back or get accepted up until late July!

Reactions: 1 users

What are your stats and when did you complete?

When did they get back to you?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's probably worth mentioning that due to graduation and planning there of, they're probably fairly backlogged with applications right now. I would *guess* that maybe they will start reviewing applications again this week?

It's probably worth mentioning that due to graduation and planning there of, they're probably fairly backlogged with applications right now. I would *guess* that maybe they will start reviewing applications again this week?

I hope. The stress is killing

I hope so too! I ultimately want to go here but I’ve been accepted to another SMP that starts in July. So I’m not sure what to do if they don’t get back to me by then :x

I hope so too! I ultimately want to go here but I’ve been accepted to another SMP that starts in July. So I’m not sure what to do if they don’t get back to me by then :x

I have a similar dilemma! :(

Unfortunately, emailing Naisha Bible a million times never worked for me because she will give you the same vague answer. Evaluate financials of each situation, and which program you think is a better fit, and go from there. We all just graduated Tuesday and so like CalEMT said they may now just be reading some applications because honestly they probably hadn't touched them in the past few weeks, it has been quite a busy time for them. It's easier said than done to "not stress" but alas that is what you must do to your best capability. In due time. Y'all can do it!! You will get in! May the force be with you.

Reactions: 2 users
I wish I had something more for you guys. But unfortunately this tends to be a long process full of unknowing. We all went through it too.

Congrats on getting accepted!! May I ask when you submitted your app and when you got your acceptance notification?

I submitted my app at the beginning of April, and got the acceptance notification the second week of May.

I envy you two! I haven't heard back from anyone yet so am kinda freaking out. I applied late to everywhere though. Hoping to hear from Touro soon!

hold out hope ch91. I applied super late last year (like June 2), but I heard back after a few weeks. But definitely make sure to have some contingency plans. Hopefully they will respond back to you soon!! people heard as late as the day before orientation. not ideal....but possible :/ bring some snacks for the journey.

This should go without saying, but make sure to double check that all of your required stuff is uploaded before you submit your application. Missing or inconsistent application materials can (at best) make the process take much longer than it should, and at worst maybe get you a rejection...

it's worth it to take the time to make sure you've attached everything you needed to attach....

This should go without saying, but make sure to double check that all of your required stuff is uploaded before you submit your application. Missing or inconsistent application materials can (at best) make the process take much longer than it should, and at worst maybe get you a rejection...

it's worth it to take the time to make sure you've attached everything you needed to attach....

Does a "complete" e-mail not establish that? I just transferred all my stuff from previous AACOMAS.

Does a "complete" e-mail not establish that? I just transferred all my stuff from previous AACOMAS.
I would think so. But sometimes stuff is missed and maybe an application looks complete when glancing over it, but after detailed review it's not.
Ie. Not all of the supplental questions are answered or something along those lines.

Although I'm honestly not sure how it works with application reviews.

I'm not sure if it's possible to look at what you've submitted after the fact.

Last edited:
Also, I meant to mention this ages ago but I forgot. it's NOT a good idea to copy and paste essays that you've written for other schools.
I know it's easier to do than writing an essay from scratch, but I suggest you don't do it. The admissions people made a big deal about that when they talked to our class.
It's easy to make mistakes when you do that, such as have the wrong school name or other incorrect information.

It looks pretty bad when that happens.

And as with all applications, it's your responsibility to make sure everything is accurate

Also, I meant to mention this ages ago but I forgot. it's NOT a good idea to copy and paste essays that you've written for other schools.
I know it's easier to do than writing an essay from scratch, but I suggest you don't do it. The admissions people made a big deal about that when they talked to our class.
It's easy to make mistakes when you do that, such as have the wrong school name or other incorrect information.

It looks pretty bad when that happens.

Thanks for the tip. I ALWAYS avoided copying/pasting.

Also, I try to make sure everything is there, but Naisha Bible usually always just responds with a general statement.

However, you have a good point. I will look it over again.

Thanks for the tip. I ALWAYS avoided copying/pasting.

Also, I try to make sure everything is there, but Naisha Bible usually always just responds with a general statement.

However, you have a good point. I will look it over again.
my statements were general, not directed at you specifically. But it never hurts to double check. We are all human.

Hi everyone! Wrapping up my 6th week of silence here haha. Has anyone heard any news as of recent?

Hi everyone! Wrapping up my 6th week of silence here haha. Has anyone heard any news as of recent?
I think now that it's summer they will probably start sending out more acceptances. That's how it has worked for the last couple of years.

I think now that it's summer they will probably start sending out more acceptances. That's how it has worked for the last couple of years.

Your posts always give me hope :D

Just got an e-mail saying that they extended the deadline for the MSMHS application. Makes me feel like this wqit is going to drag on :(

Just got an e-mail saying that they extended the deadline for the MSMHS application. Makes me feel like this wqit is going to drag on :(
That’s weird, I didn’t get an email about this. I wonder if they didn’t get as many applicants as they anticipated? Curious how this will affect our chances.

That’s weird, I didn’t get an email about this. I wonder if they didn’t get as many applicants as they anticipated? Curious how this will affect our chances.
could be that there were a lot of incomplete applications that hadn't been submitted yet?? who knows. I feel like they extended it last year too though.

You don't need to do anything. I know the waiting sucks but that's just the.way it is

No no I mean... it’s cuz I’ve been accepted to a diff program but it starts in July. I ultimately want to go to TUC but I also don’t mind going to this other program. So I’m not sure what to do if I don’t hear back from this program soon.

No no I mean... it’s cuz I’ve been accepted to a diff program but it starts in July. I ultimately want to go to TUC but I also don’t mind going to this other program. So I’m not sure what to do if I don’t hear back from this program soon.
ah i see. that's unfortunate. I hope you hear back soon

Have you tried getting in contact with the admissions department for a status update? To be honest, if I was in your position and I’ve already waited 2/3 months I would just call them and ask to follow up. There could be something to know, if not you’re in the same position you would be in if you hadn’t called. I know sometimes it doesn’t even seem to be helpful to get in touch with admissions, but you might come across info that can possible give reassurance. Doesn’t hurt to try!

Have you tried getting in contact with the admissions department for a status update? To be honest, if I was in your position and I’ve already waited 2/3 months I would just call them and ask to follow up. There could be something to know, if not you’re in the same position you would be in if you hadn’t called. I know sometimes it doesn’t even seem to be helpful to get in touch with admissions, but you might come across info that can possible give reassurance. Doesn’t hurt to try!

I call, and they tell me to e-mail Naisha Bible, who just tells me to wait.

I'm in a similar position :(

This program is being a limiting reagent lol

Just got an email that I was accepted! Applied 5/3, verified 5/8 and accepted today 6/6! The wait was finally worth it I’m so excited for this fall!

Reactions: 4 users
Just got an email that I was accepted! Applied 5/3, verified 5/8 and accepted today 6/6! The wait was finally worth it I’m so excited for this fall!

Happy for you, but concerned that I applied back in February.

I just got accepted to the program today as well!!! Thank you everyone for answering my questions when I had so many!!!

Wishing the best for the rest of the applicants!!!

I just got accepted to the program today as well!!! Thank you everyone for answering my questions when I had so many!!!

Wishing the best for the rest of the applicants!!!

When did you apply?

don't worry about this. they did this to us last year as well. either incomplete applications or waiting for more applications. it's always a little unclear with admissions. just remember to stick to what is best for you!

don't worry about this. they did this to us last year as well. either incomplete applications or waiting for more applications. it's always a little unclear with admissions. just remember to stick to what is best for you!
If you don't mind me asking, what were y'alls stats?

3.2/3.2 cGPA/sGPA and 502 MCAT.

Although I'm retaking and scoring in the 509-510 range now.