TOUROCOM - New York Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I too am placed on the high waitlist and i was wondering if those of you who have been pulled off from the high waitlist post their mcat scores and GPA's on here. Also, given that the schools have been flooded with applications, do you guys think that all 120 will be given an acceptance? How is it looking with other schools? I am very nervous about the way things have turned out this year.
Thank you so much in advance to all that respond. And congratulations to all that have already been accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

Obed said you should recieve an e-mail with updates at the end of the day today.

dtminhthu, I want to say I read it on here somewhere? or obed said something along those lines on the day of the interview. i think at this point all the sources of information and the information itself are becoming blurry - which is probably doing wonders for accuracy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Premedical GA, did Obed happen to mention if there had been a lot of movement since the first e-mail?

I think it's after 6pm in NY now but no further news of high list movement from Obed :(

Alright...moved up 3 steps w/in 2 days. This is not bad, not bad at all. I'm loving the count down. How you feeling Chup? You must be getting close. Good luck!

Premedical GA, I moved off high waitlist and got accepted. My stats were approx 2.9 or 3.0 GPA and 31Q MCAT with double digits on every section.

anyone have any idea on when the next rank update should be?

Im guessing it's after 7pm ET tonite since it should be every other business day.

hey,
Thanks rajonrondo for your response and congratulations. I was wondering if anyone knows how they ranked students on the waitlist. Also, how much is GPA weighed against the MCAT score?
thanks to all those who reply

I was wondering if TouroCOM students receive a discount off of their phone bills as a result of being affiliated with TouroCOM. I work for Albert Einstein College of Medicine and for the past year I have received a discount on my phone bill. I was able to provide a code given to me by the H.R. dept, to the people at Verizon and they enacted a discount. I was wondering if TouroCOM has an agreement with any phone company that would allow, what are probably already financially struggling, students with a discount on their phone bills. Thanks for considering this post!

Premedical, I'm pretty sure every school favors MCAT score more than GPA.

Has anyone else heard back from Obed after the ranking # update on May 21st? I thought we'd be getting updates more frequent than that =/

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, haven't heard anything either. Hopefully there will be some movement by next week... Little by little!

Actually not every school prefers MCAT over GPA. UMDNJ-SOM, though they would prefer around a 29 MCAT or higher, they love GPA. You have a better chance of getting in with a 4.0 and 27 than a 3.2 and a 31. They like to see a steady upward trend in your GPA because the MCAT reflects just 1 day while the GPA reflects about 4 years.

Thanks for all the replies. Does anyone know if Touro prefers MCAT over GPA? Also, can others who were pulled from the waitlist post your GPA and MCAT?
Thanks

I had a dream last night in which someone posted on SDN that Obed was finally going to email us all this evening with an updated ranking.

anyone know how many spots are left in the class?

About 2 months left! Anyone doing anything interesting for the summer?

just curious but what is everyone doing in terms of obtaining health insurance? are there people looking for short term coverage plans? if so, could you please provide some details and info on the plan that you're going to take?

Been spending the past 3 weeks cramming in medical knowledge in histo, biochem, anatomy, doctor patient society, physiology, and radiographic anatomy. And of course, doing practice questions as well as board review materials for step 1 USMLE.

Been spending the past 3 weeks cramming in medical knowledge in histo, biochem, anatomy, doctor patient society, physiology, and radiographic anatomy. And of course, doing practice questions as well as board review materials for step 1 USMLE.

:confused:, don't you have like at least 2 years before you sit for the USMLE?

Yea, something like that. But I'm an early starter =) I came to my interview @ touro 1 1/2 hr early too. I'm thinking that may have been the thing that got me onto high list :)

Yea, something like that. But I'm an early starter =) I came to my interview @ touro 1 1/2 hr early too. I'm thinking that may have been the thing that got me onto high list :)

Well, I can't fault that...I'm the same way. Even though I am not applying until 2010, I'm already starting to put together my PS, prep for the MCAT which I'll take next March/April and the first day that I can submit my AACOMAS application, I will.

Wishing you the best and hope you get your phone call soon :luck::luck::luck::luck:.

My .02 cents, go out and have few beers with friends. trust me you won't remember that stuff in 2 years and most of it may not be on the boards. If you want to / must study something pick up netters flash cards for anatomy and start memorizing all of the bones (including all the bumps, parts, etc.) and start memorizing all the muscles in the arm, hand, leg, foot and back. Learn the basic attachment points for each , their innervation (nerve), arterial supply and venous return.To make things easy, try to learn them by compartments since you will learn that one or two nerves usually supply a compartment or set of muscles. How much of this you will remember come fall??? but it will keep you busy. Since you have a new anat professor, I can't guarantee that this will be the first subject matter tackled but what the hell.

For the rest of the folks reading this. Enjoy your summer, worry about school August 3rd.

Gold.

Gold, is it better to be patient and wait for Obed to contact us, or to be proactive and show our eagerness by calling him and asking about updates? The last one was 5/21st... does the lack of update mean that there has been no movement?

Gold, is it better to be patient and wait for Obed to contact us, or to be proactive and show our eagerness by calling him and asking about updates? The last one was 5/21st... does the lack of update mean that there has been no movement?

I am not sure. Obed is a very nice guy and his main problem in life is usually that he is to busy. If he had promised to keep you guys in the loop as to what is going on and you have not heard in some time, perhaps a short polite note on ocassion couldn't harm. :p

Good Luck

I am not sure. Obed is a very nice guy and his main problem in life is usually that he is to busy. If he had promised to keep you guys in the loop as to what is going on and you have not heard in some time, perhaps a short polite note on ocassion couldn't harm. :p

Good Luck

Gold 5,

I'm thinking of applying to Touro and I am interested in what you know about the clinical years and how accredidation is going? Even your opinion on your education so far would be great too. I know it is on temp accredidation until a class graduates, but I am just kind of nervous applying to a school that hasn't graduated a class yet (done a match, ect). I really like what I have seen around on their site I'm just looking for an inside view.

Also, on SDN there are a lot of complaints about Touro-CA and to a lesser extent NV, do these issue carry over to NY? I know the Deans, faculty, ect are different I just wonder if being such a new school is too much of a wild-card in terms of organization and reliabilty of clinical years. Thanks!

Obed just sent out new updates. Last week there were delays because they were closed for Memorial Day as well as late Thurs/Fri because of holidays.
It takes a while to hear back because repsones to confirmations come in the form of requirments for mailing one's acceptance back to Tourocom and collecting the $2000 within a week. So unless they get an automatic email saying no thanks, then it takes a week to solidify a yes or no.

Just got update. Still on high list but it has moved QUICK! So excited!!!!!! I hope i make it in!!! Chup, u're really really close by now arent ya? Lucky

What are my chances for Touro?

NY State Resident
URM - Hispanic
GPA: 3.74
MCAT: ~mid 20s (25-26)
EC's: good to above average

Sounds like u'll have a good chance if u apply early, w/ strong personal statement and strong letters of recommendation. And of course, plan on doing well at the interview.

What are my chances for Touro?

NY State Resident
URM - Hispanic
GPA: 3.74
MCAT: ~mid 20s (25-26)
EC's: good to above average

Sounds good to me! You need to get over a 24 and have a GPA of 3.0 normally to get an interview.

Gold

How's it going guys, finally decided to cave in and join SDN. I guess I'll be seein some of you guys next semester at Touro-NY. I just got my acceptance a couple days ago, I was on the high waitlist.

Does anyone know how many people are still on the high waitlist??? When Mr. Figueroa sends the email, does he update the total number of people or just your number on the list??? Just curious, because I'm on the medium waitlist. I'm thinking about what my chances would be for gaining admission to next year's class. Thanks for any info guys!

Heli2009, there are 95 currently on the high waitlist. Yes, Obed tells us that in the update emails.

Heli2009, there are 95 currently on the high waitlist. Yes, Obed tells us that in the update emails.

Thanks for the info dtminhthu! You must be getting really close now. I bet it's really stressful, but also somwhat of a relief to know that you're practically in... just a matter of what day you will find out.

Really pulling for all of you high-waitlisters. June is the big month for movement, or so I heard. Keep us posted-- we're rooting for all you future doctors :)

Do you know who our new anatomy professor will be? Are they changing other professors?

Do you know who our new anatomy professor will be? Are they changing other professors?

Yes they are. We got an email yesterday listing the following for the Anatomy Dept:

Sushama Rich, MD, Anatomy
Carlos Quinteros, MD, Anatomy and Histology
..Subhashini Poola, MD, MPH, Anatomy and Public Health

Does anybody know where the students go for their rotations?

Does anybody know where the students go for their rotations?

From Obed's Email:

Bronx Lebanon Hospital (Bronx, NY)
Holliswood Psychiatric Hospital (Queen, NY)
New Island Hospital (Long Island, NY)
St. John's Episcopal Hospital (Far Rockaway, NY)
Staten Island University Hospital (Staten Island, NY)
Trinitas Medical Center (Elizabeth, NJ)

It also notes that the school is still in negotiations with other schools and the list will probably be updated by the time we're third years.

Hi everyone! I know that we can't know for sure yet but do you guys think they'll get through the entire high wait list this year (120 people)? I know Obed said they were able to offer everyone on the high wait list a spot last year (90 people). Do you think they'll be able to get through the whole list again this year? I started off in the 90s (now in the 70s) and am kind of discouraged and doubtful I'll get the offer. Do you think there's a good chance for getting into next year's class? I'm just wondering what to do now. I think I'm going to retake the MCAT and since the application cycle for the class of 2014 already began I don't want to get too behind.

But I'm keeping my fingers crossed for TOUROCOM 2013! Good luck everyone! :xf:

Premedgirl, I think ur best bet is to retake the MCAT. It doesnt hurt. As for reapplying, start pulling together your application for THIS new cycle. Make the application even stronger than last year's. You don't have to submit the application (waste the money) until you know for sure you're getting in or not. If by end of July u're not in Touro, then you should submit new application. That wouldn't be too late.

The list moved really fast over a week ago but slowed down again. Things are pretty unpredictable. Good luck!

Premedgirl, I think ur best bet is to retake the MCAT. It doesnt hurt. As for reapplying, start pulling together your application for THIS new cycle. Make the application even stronger than last year's. You don't have to submit the application (waste the money) until you know for sure you're getting in or not. If by end of July u're not in Touro, then you should submit new application. That wouldn't be too late.

The list moved really fast over a week ago but slowed down again. Things are pretty unpredictable. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! Taking the MCAT again is torturous but I think it's my best bet.

One other question for everyone... I'm currently working in research but our funding situation is get getting rocky and I should find out next week if I still have a job (just to add to my stress lol). If the situation turns out that I can no longer work there, I would like to get into something that's more clinically related so at least I can boost that part of my application. Working 40 hours a week with a 2hr commute and trying to study is tough so I'd like to find a job where I can really utilize my time and improve my application in a couple of aspects. Anyone have any suggestions for jobs that would allow me to get more clinical/ patient care experience? Only having a bachelors degree is challenging. I have 2+ years of research experience in an immunology lab but I'd really like to get some hands on experience if I have to wait another admissions cycle.

Thanks so much for your input!

Thanks for the advice! Taking the MCAT again is torturous but I think it's my best bet.

One other question for everyone... I'm currently working in research but our funding situation is get getting rocky and I should find out next week if I still have a job (just to add to my stress lol). If the situation turns out that I can no longer work there, I would like to get into something that's more clinically related so at least I can boost that part of my application. Working 40 hours a week with a 2hr commute and trying to study is tough so I'd like to find a job where I can really utilize my time and improve my application in a couple of aspects. Anyone have any suggestions for jobs that would allow me to get more clinical/ patient care experience? Only having a bachelors degree is challenging. I have 2+ years of research experience in an immunology lab but I'd really like to get some hands on experience if I have to wait another admissions cycle.

Thanks so much for your input!

If you don't mind, what is your MCAT & grades like?

If you don't mind, what is your MCAT & grades like?

I got a 25Q on the MCAT (7PS, 8BS, 10VR) :( so I really think I need to take it again. I had a 3.4 GPA. I had some great EC in college, strong LOR and I think my interview went pretty well which may be the only reason I got placed on the high wait list in the first place. I know I can improve my MCAT if I really buckle down and focus but I'd like to try to add some patient care experience to really bump up my application if I don't get into TOURO this fall.

I got a 25Q on the MCAT (7PS, 8BS, 10VR) :( so I really think I need to take it again. I had a 3.4 GPA. I had some great EC in college, strong LOR and I think my interview went pretty well which may be the only reason I got placed on the high wait list in the first place. I know I can improve my MCAT if I really buckle down and focus but I'd like to try to add some patient care experience to really bump up my application if I don't get into TOURO this fall.

Do you have any pt experience right now also when did you apply?

Do you have any pt experience right now also when did you apply?

I have some shadowing experience but only about 8 hours. Most of my patient care experience that I wrote about in my application was as a patient myself or caring for family members and teammates. I played college sports and I spent many MANY hours in training rooms and was constantly around injuries and illnesses. I think I really need to add to this to give myself a better shot.

I sent my application out pretty late last year, in the end of November. Another mistake I don't want to repeat.

Thanks for your help, Gold!

Premedgirl, I hope you won't find any of my comments offensive.

Do plan to retake the MCAT early, and try your best to do well on the PS and BS sections. Unless your pre-req science grades are very high, they really want to see strong MCAT scores on science portions. 25 MCAT is still very hard to get in, especially for this coming year cuz it gets more and more competitive every year.

Definitely go for more patient experience. I had higher MCAT score and GPA, w/ close to 2000 hours in clinical experience and ~700 hrs research, and lots of other extracurricular activities during college but I'm only on high end of high list. I did, however, send in my DO application on the due date somewhere in mid March and no DO letter and I don't know how strong my LORs are cuz I never read any of them.

I think I'm lucky for sending in my application that late to still get this far. I interviewed w/ Dr Gray and I think I did pretty well. At the end of the interview he said "you answered some really tough questions that I'm not sure if I could answer".

Status
Not open for further replies.