2025-2026 Nova Southeastern (MD)

Started by chilly_md
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also unsure about this. I'm assuming that only the amcas would be the binding one but gonna hold off on filling that second one out.
nvm its not. Next email says non-commit
1772814900370.png
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry to hear! When did you interview?? I interviewed on 2/17 and my application still shows submitted instead of completed. Is that normal??
I recieved my Kira invite on 2/13 and submitted mine on 2/18 and it still says submitted as well for me. I think they are just slow with updating their portal it seems.
 
Does anyone know if it’s worth trying to negotiate tuition/scholarship with NSU? I know some schools will match other schools’ tuition to get you to attend
 
hi! now that people who received an II around 1/10 are getting their decisions, should I be concerned that I haven't gotten a decision despite receiving my II on 12/19? on admit it seems like i am the only one from that date who hasn't gotten a response. my portal has also had the status "completed" for over a month now so it lowkey feels like they just forgot to release my decision lol
Sorry to hear! When did you interview?? I interviewed on 2/17 and my application still shows submitted instead of completed. Is that normal??
Submitted interview 1/13. People who submitted around me heard back sooner than i did. Idk how WL friendly this school is. I always take it as a soft rejection
 
How do you know? Just need reassurance as this is the only school that sent me an II lol
Hi! Not to butt in, but I can give you an objective outline of WL movement at NSU MD. It's fairly lengthy (and I'm an overthinker), so please bear with me.

Although most of the available information is not perfectly up-to-date, it should give you an idea of what you can potentially expect.

First, here are the "latest" cycle metrics on NSU MD's website:
1773253182299.png

*Note, the number of total interviews granted slightly varies on MSAR (as of Apr 29, 2024) at 385 instead of 395, which is not very significant.

Next, the estimated number of entrants or matriculants at NSU MD, per MSAR, is 68, split up as follows:
  • Regular MD: 60
  • Baccalaureate/MD: 5
  • Other Special Program: 3
So, you can assume that their final regular MD matriculant pool consists of roughly 60 candidates.

Why I mentioned that was to bring up yield percentage, which is very important to adcoms, indicating how many applicants ultimately matriculate.

Yield% = (Matriculated Students/Total Acceptance Offers Made) x 100

Which, for NSU MD, is = (60/189) x 100 ~ 32%, which is crucial because it tells you that only 1 in 3 regular M.D. candidates accept their offer and choose to matriculate, which makes sense given the cost of the program and the recency of the program's establishment.

Okay, with that out of the way, NSU MD allots 250-300 WL positions, out of which roughly 100 candidates could be offered an acceptance.

Per MSAR, "Waitlist candidates are tiered by the admissions committee. Candidates are selected from the waitlist based upon their tier and overall composition of the class." Now, since the WL at NSU MD isn't transparent, there's no use worrying about your rank.

Finally, with all that information in hand, you can predict your chances of acceptance as follows:
-> April 30 arrives, AAMC traffic deadline activates, applicants narrow choices to 1 A,
-> Assuming NSU gave out roughly 100 acceptances before this deadline, let's say it cuts down to 20-30 (best-case scenario),
-> That opens up WL movement for roughly 35-40 candidates, = = => branchpoint during which you could be offered an A,
-> Next, June 13 comes (CTE deadline), and say the total pool drops to something really low, like 10-15 (best-case scenario),
-> That opens up final WL movement for about 50-60 candidates = = => branchpoint during which you could be offered an A.

That then squarely gives you a 33.33% or 1/3 overall chance of admission, under the absolute best circumstances, between April 30 and July 20 (first day of classes and last day acceptances can be issued).

Once again, I want to stress that this is all probabilistic, and that WL movement may be restricted as a function of high class yield (more candidates choosing to stay at NSU MD after the April 30 traffic deadline AND committing to enroll after the June 13 CTE deadline).
 
Last edited:
Hi! Not to butt in, but I can give you an objective outline of WL movement at NSU MD. It's fairly lengthy (and I'm an overthinker), so please bear with me.

Although most of the available information is not perfectly up-to-date, it should give you an idea of what you can potentially expect.

First, here are the "latest" cycle metrics on NSU MD's website:
View attachment 416255
*Note, the number of total interviews granted slightly varies on MSAR (as of Apr 29, 2024) at 385 instead of 395, which is not very significant.

Next, the estimated number of entrants or matriculants at NSU MD, per MSAR, is 68, split up as follows:
  • Regular MD: 60
  • Baccalaureate/MD: 5
  • Other Special Program: 3
So, you can assume that their final regular MD matriculant pool consists of roughly 60 candidates.

Why I mentioned that was to bring up yield percentage, which is very important to adcoms, indicating how many applicants ultimately matriculate.

Yield% = (Matriculated Students/Total Acceptance Offers Made) x 100

Which, for NSU MD, is = (60/189) x 100 ~ 32%, which is crucial because it tells you that only 1 in 3 regular M.D. candidates accept their offer and choose to matriculate, which makes sense given the cost of the program and the recency of the program's establishment.

Okay, with that out of the way, NSU MD allots 250-300 WL positions, out of which roughly 100 candidates could be offered an acceptance.

Per MSAR, "Waitlist candidates are tiered by the admissions committee. Candidates are selected from the waitlist based upon their tier and overall composition of the class." Now, since the WL at NSU MD isn't transparent, there's no use worrying about your rank.

Finally, with all that information in hand, you can predict your chances of acceptance as follows:
-> April 30 arrives, AAMC traffic deadline activates, applicants narrow choices to 1 A,
-> Assuming NSU gave out roughly 100 acceptances before this deadline, let's say it cuts down to 20-30 (best-case scenario),
-> That opens up WL movement for roughly 35-40 candidates, = = => branchpoint during which you could be offered an A,
-> Next, June 13 comes (CTE deadline), and say the total pool drops to something really low, like 10-15 (best-case scenario),
-> That opens up final WL movement for about 50-60 candidates = = => branchpoint during which you could be offered an A.

That then squarely gives you a 33.33% or 1/3 overall chance of admission, under the absolute best circumstances, between April 30 and July 20 (first day of classes and last day acceptances can be issued).

Once again, I want to stress that this is all probabilistic, and that WL movement may be restricted as a function of high class yield (more candidates choosing to stay at NSU MD after the April 30 traffic deadline AND committing to enroll after the June 13 CTE deadline).
Did not expect such a thorough explanation. Thank you so much! Hope slightly restored haha
 
Did not expect such a thorough explanation. Thank you so much! Hope slightly restored haha
Yeah, of course, no problem! I've gotchu.

I also think it's worth mentioning that there's no publicly available information about NSU MD's interview season. I believe most schools stop at March.

That said, I think it's reasonable to assume they might most probably send some one-off IIs after the traffic deadline to replenish their WL pool or issue a few rare late-cycle direct As.

I wanted to mention that because applicants can CTE to other places as soon as April 30--something I didn't factor in earlier--steeply dropping the WL pool in some scenarios.

So that could increase your chances by some margin by bumping you up a few spots.

I know this is brute speculation disguised as wishful thinking. But hey, I wouldn't worry too much! You're in a solid position, so stay positive and you'll make it before you know it!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was accepted in early March and have accepted the seat under the first option in the portal and then completed the matriculation agreement. Is there any other upcoming deadline that needs to be followed?

I read the information in their emails sent, but I am extremely excited and slightly neurotic, so I want to make sure I’m not missing anything. Thank you!
 
I was accepted in early March and have accepted the seat under the first option in the portal and then completed the matriculation agreement. Is there any other upcoming deadline that needs to be followed?

I read the information in their emails sent, but I am extremely excited and slightly neurotic, so I want to make sure I’m not missing anything. Thank you!
Hi! No, as long as you've signed off on the agreement, you should be good! Just make sure to log in to your NSU portal and stay up to date with any relevant notifications or required actions.
 
The WL email said they’ll take people off starting in June.. Do we think they might take some people off earlier as well?
Hey, I did a probabilistic analysis of the matter a little earlier. Here it is, feel free to check it out:
Hi! Not to butt in, but I can give you an objective outline of WL movement at NSU MD. It's fairly lengthy (and I'm an overthinker), so please bear with me.

Although most of the available information is not perfectly up-to-date, it should give you an idea of what you can potentially expect.

First, here are the "latest" cycle metrics on NSU MD's website:
View attachment 416255
*Note, the number of total interviews granted slightly varies on MSAR (as of Apr 29, 2024) at 385 instead of 395, which is not very significant.

Next, the estimated number of entrants or matriculants at NSU MD, per MSAR, is 68, split up as follows:
  • Regular MD: 60
  • Baccalaureate/MD: 5
  • Other Special Program: 3
So, you can assume that their final regular MD matriculant pool consists of roughly 60 candidates.

Why I mentioned that was to bring up yield percentage, which is very important to adcoms, indicating how many applicants ultimately matriculate.

Yield% = (Matriculated Students/Total Acceptance Offers Made) x 100

Which, for NSU MD, is = (60/189) x 100 ~ 32%, which is crucial because it tells you that only 1 in 3 regular M.D. candidates accept their offer and choose to matriculate, which makes sense given the cost of the program and the recency of the program's establishment.

Okay, with that out of the way, NSU MD allots 250-300 WL positions, out of which roughly 100 candidates could be offered an acceptance.

Per MSAR, "Waitlist candidates are tiered by the admissions committee. Candidates are selected from the waitlist based upon their tier and overall composition of the class." Now, since the WL at NSU MD isn't transparent, there's no use worrying about your rank.

Finally, with all that information in hand, you can predict your chances of acceptance as follows:
-> April 30 arrives, AAMC traffic deadline activates, applicants narrow choices to 1 A,
-> Assuming NSU gave out roughly 100 acceptances before this deadline, let's say it cuts down to 20-30 (best-case scenario),
-> That opens up WL movement for roughly 35-40 candidates, = = => branchpoint during which you could be offered an A,
-> Next, June 13 comes (CTE deadline), and say the total pool drops to something really low, like 10-15 (best-case scenario),
-> That opens up final WL movement for about 50-60 candidates = = => branchpoint during which you could be offered an A.

That then squarely gives you a 33.33% or 1/3 overall chance of admission, under the absolute best circumstances, between April 30 and July 20 (first day of classes and last day acceptances can be issued).

Once again, I want to stress that this is all probabilistic, and that WL movement may be restricted as a function of high class yield (more candidates choosing to stay at NSU MD after the April 30 traffic deadline AND committing to enroll after the June 13 CTE deadline).
I hope that helps and gives you some reassurance and insight into the process!
 
Hi! No, as long as you've signed off on the agreement, you should be good! Just make sure to log in to your NSU portal and stay up to date with any relevant notifications or required actions.
Thank you so much! I appreciate the information. Did you receive any confirmation email after you completed the agreement? I did not and want to make sure that is the case for everyone. I am just way too worried 😅
 
Thank you so much! I appreciate the information. Did you receive any confirmation email after you completed the agreement? I did not and want to make sure that is the case for everyone. I am just way too worried 😅
Don't worry! And no, I'm fairly certain there was no confirmation email. But I did receive the following emails regarding: graduate and professional financial aid, NSU account information, a housing survey, and a few congratulatory emails from the director of admissions. You should receive those eventually, if you already haven't, but other than that, you're all set!
 
Last edited:
Was I supposed to receive an email with the portal invite after the Kira interview? If not, how do I access the portal? Thanks!
 
Was I supposed to receive an email with the portal invite after the Kira interview? If not, how do I access the portal? Thanks!
Hi! If you've received an A, you should receive an email with your NSU login information. If you're referring to your application portal with your admissions status, you can find that here: Sign In
 
Do they tend to give out any financial aid? Any merit? Anyone know?
Hi! Yes, almost all schools allot aid via FAFSA (through federal unsubsidized loans and need-based scholarships). Once you have an A, NSU will reach out to you with instructions to register and receive your aid package.

Of course, the large net cost per academic year requires more than what federal aid caps can provide, so private loans are a must if you're not self-financing your costs. NSU MD has a private lender search tool, FastChoice, which helps you compare private loans historically borrowed by its students.

Lastly, NSU MD automatically considers all accepted M.D. candidates for a direct scholarship exclusively through the allopathic medical school. <--- This would be merit.

Besides these, it's highly recommended that you:
a. Try to seek out additional scholarship opportunities to attempt to bridge the extremely high cost gap, and
b. Consult with NSU MD's financial aid counselors to budget your costs optimally (but mostly frugally to avoid overborrowing).

I hope that gives you some insight into the process!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! Yes, almost all schools allot aid via FAFSA (through federal unsubsidized loans and need-based scholarships). Once you have an A, NSU will reach out to you with instructions to register and receive your aid package.

Of course, the large net cost per academic year requires more than what federal aid caps can provide, so private loans are a must if you're not self-financing your costs. NSU MD has a private lender search tool, FastChoice, which helps you compare private loans historically borrowed by its students.

Lastly, NSU MD automatically considers all accepted M.D. candidates for a direct scholarship exclusively through the allopathic medical school. <--- This would be merit.

Besides these, it's highly recommended that you:
a. Try to seek out additional scholarship opportunities to attempt to bridge the extremely high cost gap, and
b. Consult with NSU MD's financial aid counselors to budget your costs optimally (but mostly frugally to avoid overborrowing).

I hope that gives you some insight into the process!
Thank you!
 
Has anyone gone to one of the tours and do they send you an email with directions? Bc mine is tomorrow and idk where I’m meant to go
 
Has anyone gone to one of the tours and do they send you an email with directions? Bc mine is tomorrow and idk where I’m meant to go
Hey, yeah, I've attended an in-person tour. All you have to do is commute to the allopathic campus (Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Allopathic Medicine, 3200 S University Dr, Davie, FL 33314) and show up on time. That's pretty much all there is to it 🙂
 
Do they tend to give out any financial aid? Any merit? Anyone know?
They give merit scholarships funded by Dr. Kiran Patel, pretty sure they are related to MCAT scores primarily.

I am an M1 and know at least 5-6 people with half scholarships, but all got at least a 515+. A couple of kids have full-rides as well. I personally got a 518 and received a half scholarship. My GPA was only a 3.5 though and I know people who had 3.9+ with no scholarship, so it seems MCAT is probably more important.
 
They give merit scholarships funded by Dr. Kiran Patel, pretty sure they are related to MCAT scores primarily.

I am an M1 and know at least 5-6 people with half scholarships, but all got at least a 515+. A couple of kids have full-rides as well. I personally got a 518 and received a half scholarship. My GPA was only a 3.5 though and I know people who had 3.9+ with no scholarship, so it seems MCAT is probably more important.
Do you have to apply separately or just fill out that profile?
 
Hello! I got my acceptance yesterday and was wondering if anyone has talked to current students yet to get overall feedback about the school? Administration support, on campus resources, residency matching, help with step 1 and step 2 prep, etc. Seeing mixed reviews online but that could also be talking about their DO program... thanks!
 
Don't worry! And no, I'm fairly certain there was no confirmation email. But I did receive the following emails regarding: graduate and professional financial, NSU account information, a housing survey, and a few congratulatory emails from the director of admissions. You should receive those eventually, if you already haven't, but other than that, you're all set!
Thank you so much!!! I believe I received just about all of those, but I'll be checking the portal periodically just to make sure I'm not missing anything. I enjoy reading your replies to others - you are very kind and thorough. Thanks again and have a great weekend! 😊
 
Hello! I got my acceptance yesterday and was wondering if anyone has talked to current students yet to get overall feedback about the school? Administration support, on campus resources, residency matching, help with step 1 and step 2 prep, etc. Seeing mixed reviews online but that could also be talking about their DO program... thanks!
Hi there! Congratulations on your acceptance! Shortly before I received my A, I did attend an in-person tour, albeit brief (about one hour or so), where our guide didn't reveal very much about those topics, and we couldn't reach out to current students at all.

So I, too, want more information about the things you're concerned about, but I have not received any additional information just yet.

However, among the things you've mentioned, the graduate financial aid webinar (recording available to those with an A) did shed some light on financial administration and resources at NSU MD, but no more than that.

I believe second look day will address all those crucial details at length--and more--so be sure to attend it if you'd like to know all those things about NSU MD... and maybe I'll see some of you there 🙂
 
Last edited:
Hello! I got my acceptance yesterday and was wondering if anyone has talked to current students yet to get overall feedback about the school? Administration support, on campus resources, residency matching, help with step 1 and step 2 prep, etc. Seeing mixed reviews online but that could also be talking about their DO program... thanks!
Hey! Current student, feel free to DM me with any specific questions. Most of the information online is about the DO school and people mix us up a lot. There is a lot of step 1 and 2 support with practice tests, question banks, and advising provided. We do very very well on step 1 pass rates but I don't have any information on our step 2 scores. More residency matching support than most schools with very good advising, but we are still a newer school and certainly don't have the name recognition of a top MD medical school, so if you are comparing us to a T50 our match is definitely worse even if we have a higher match rate. Our match list is available online for prior years I believe but from where I am now, I can see that it's very difficult to judge a match list from looking at it as a premed.

Edit: I actually just remembered the data on step 2 we were told - we are above the national average.
 
Last edited:
Will WL movement really begin as far out as June?
Hi! While I don't have any direct sources stating otherwise, I don't believe WL movement will begin that late. And it's primarily because the AAMC traffic deadline is in 4 weeks, on the 30th of April, meaning that applicants who have PTE'd (Plan to Enroll) elsewhere will have to drop their NSU MD offers, effectively freeing up seats.

Now, coinciding with that, I believe WL movement will start beginning May. And as you've read in my prior analysis, I mentioned that WL movement will probably begin in May and perhaps continue through mid-July, right up until orientation.

One complicating factor is that there is no publicly available information about interview season at NSU MD (also, the adcom personally mentioned to me that they handle things later than most schools), so late-cycle IIs could still be converted to As after the traffic deadline, superseding WL movement slightly. Still, the WL will most likely be used beginning May to ensure the class size is up to par.

Unfortunately, however, there is a 0% chance of knowing your WL rank or the yield turnout after the traffic deadline (i.e., will they have over or under 68 applicants; if over, there will be no need for WL movement; and if under, then how many will need to be pulled?).

To clarify, note that NSU MD's CTE (Commit to Enroll) deadline is officially on June 13, so folks who receive a late-cycle A, either directly or off the WL, and want to attend another place (assuming they have other As) will have to give up their NSU MD A. So there could be some WL movement from mid-June through mid-July.

Overall, though, it's simply impossible to predict:
a. Whether or not the WL will even be required after April 30 (historically yes, because the yield% is 33.33%, meaning 2/3 applicants seem to give up their spots eventually),
b. If you will be pulled between May to mid-June or mid-June to mid-July, and
c. Stability of class yield from May through July (retention of As and low WL movement versus abandonment of As and high WL movement).


I hope that helps! And not to catastrophize the situation, but that's really the ceiling as far as hoping and probabilities go. The one thing that could influence your chances positively might be a Letter of Continued Interest (with meaningful updates like a publication or a new experience), if you haven't sent one already. I wish you the best of luck! 🙂
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! While I don't have any direct sources stating otherwise, I don't believe WL movement will begin that late. And it's primarily because the AAMC traffic deadline is in 4 weeks, on the 30th of April, meaning that applicants who have PTE'd (Plan to Enroll) elsewhere will have to drop their NSU MD offers, effectively freeing up seats.

Now, coinciding with that, I believe WL movement will start beginning May. And as you've read in my prior analysis, I mentioned that WL movement will probably begin in May and perhaps continue through mid-July, right up until orientation.

One complicating factor is that there is no publicly available information about interview season at NSU MD (also, the adcom personally mentioned to me that they handle things later than most schools), so late-cycle IIs could still be converted to As after the traffic deadline, superseding WL movement slightly. Still, the WL will most likely be used beginning May to ensure the class size is up to par.

Unfortunately, however, there is a 0% chance of knowing your WL rank or the yield turnout after the traffic deadline (i.e., will they have over or under 68 applicants; if over, there will be no need for WL movement; and if under, then how many will need to be pulled?).

To clarify, note that NSU MD's CTE (Commit to Enroll) deadline is officially on June 13, so folks who receive a late-cycle A, either directly or off the WL, and want to attend another place (assuming they have other As) will have to give up their NSU MD A. So there could be some WL movement from mid-June through mid-July.

Overall, though, it's simply impossible to predict:
a. Whether or not the WL will even be required after April 30 (historically yes, because the yield% is 33.33%, meaning 2/3 applicants seem to give up their spots eventually),
b. If you will be pulled between May to mid-June or mid-June to mid-July, and
c. Stability of class yield from May through July (retention of As and low WL movement versus abandonment of As and high WL movement).


I hope that helps! And not to catastrophize the situation, but that's really the ceiling as far as hoping and probabilities go. The one thing that could influence your chances positively might be a Letter of Continued Interest (with meaningful updates like a publication or a new experience), if you haven't sent one already. I wish you the best of luck! 🙂
Thanks for the response! I was asking based on the letter I received when I got the WL, but I figured there would be some movement sooner rather than later. I already submitted a LOI on the 10th of last month. 👍🏽
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the response! I was asking based on the letter I received when I got the WL, but I figured there would be some movement sooner rather than later. I already submitted a LOI on the 10th of last month. 👍🏽
Oh, gotcha. Well, if the letter specified that movement would begin in June, it's somewhat credible but still very unrealistic because Nova's yield is not that great, and a significant number of people are sure to drop their As on the 30th of this month.

Most things from this school I wouldn't take at face value. The acceptance letter I got was from last cycle lmao.

That said, hang in there. It's all going to be alright 😌
 
Never mind I’m realizing it’s an interview invite. Do you guys think I would just be interviewing for a spot on the waitlist at this point?
Adcoms will generally tell you that they uniformly issue acceptances throughout the interview season (as every interviewee is granted equal consideration), but that's rarely the case.

At this current point in time, NSU MD might have over-accepted close to 100 candidates to meet their yield of 68 total matriculants.

Seeing as that the April 30 (AAMC traffic deadline) is fast approaching, they may not need to issue any more acceptances for now, and may probably focus on supplementing their existing WL pool in preparation. So to put it bluntly, yes. A late-cycle II at this point is usually followed by a WL.

But even though you're most likely interviewing for a spot on the waitlist, you should give it your best because NSU MD typically handles admissions later than most schools and they could absolutely choose to accept you if you perform strongly.
 
Last edited: