UCVM c/o 2026

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snurple

UCVM 2024
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's super early to start this thread, but since they've added the MCAT starting this cycle, I figured it would be appropriate. Since invites for c/o 2025 have already gone out, people who didn't get admitted are likely now beginning to study for MCAT, and first time applicants may have began studying for MCAT as early as March, when UCVM released the new application guidelines. So you may want to discuss that (and study strategies) in here!

Also Khan Academy has free MCAT study resources until September 2021, I'll link it in a comment.

Good luck everyone!! If anyone has any questions about UCVM or applying or anything, or even if you just wanna chat, feel free to DM me! I'm always happy to chat with like-minded students 🙂

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Here is the link to the Khan Academy MCAT prep:

MCAT | Test prep | Khan Academy

UCVM has recommended c/o 2026 applicants take it by mid August, but the actual deadline is "in sufficient time to ensure that their MCAT scores will be available to the Admissions Committee by the application deadline (November
26, 2021)." (Which is a bit vague, so, be careful!!)

I've also heard there have been delays with MCAT scores during the past year and a half, due to COVID. Hopefully that won't be a concern by this fall, but it's definitely something to keep in mind.

Here is the link to the Khan Academy MCAT prep:

MCAT | Test prep | Khan Academy

UCVM has recommended c/o 2026 applicants take it by mid August, but the actual deadline is "in sufficient time to ensure that their MCAT scores will be available to the Admissions Committee by the application deadline (November
26, 2021)." (Which is a bit vague, so, be careful!!)

I've also heard there have been delays with MCAT scores during the past year and a half, due to COVID. Hopefully that won't be a concern by this fall, but it's definitely something to keep in mind.
I have a pre-med friend who took the MCAT during COVID, and he said the score release times are the same as pre-COVID! (roughly 30-35 days, so technically you could take the MCAT in early October and still make it in time, but the latest I'd take it is probably mid to late September in case complications pop up)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I believe someone has already confirmed with UCVM admissions that taking it in September should be totally fine!

To my understanding, is UCVM using the MCAT just as a screening cutoff? So meeting the 494 score something is sufficient enough? or Are thye gonna be assessing the MCAT scores competitively just like how it is with med schools?

To my understanding, is UCVM using the MCAT just as a screening cutoff? So meeting the 494 score something is sufficient enough? or Are thye gonna be assessing the MCAT scores competitively just like how it is with med schools?
It looks like on their requirements that once you meet the 495 cutoff, the interviewers are blind to your MCAT scores.

Is it recommended to include non-animal related experience, volunteering, and extracurriculars in the application?

However, I definitely wouldn't aim for a 495. We have no idea if UCVM will increase it later due to competition (same thing happened with GPA) and your MCAT is good for 3 years, so try to aim for 510+.

Is it recommended to include non-animal related experience, volunteering, and extracurriculars in the application?
There's a section for all of those, so I definitely would include them!

However, I definitely wouldn't aim for a 495. We have no idea if UCVM will increase it later due to competition (same thing happened with GPA) and your MCAT is good for 3 years, so try to aim for 510+.
That's terrifying to think of, but a good point. It would also serve you well if you ended up deciding to pursue medicine as a back up (and I've known pre-vets who did end up going the human medicine route).

What day is everyone taking their MCAT?

I’m finding a hard time booking a spot for the MCAT I was waitlisted for this year so was hoping I would’ve moved up so put off booking but haven’t heard anything so I want to prepare now.
It looks like the last Canadian date is Sept 11 and all the spots for September are taken is everyone else seeing the same thing?

My MCAT date is September 10. Yes, the last possible exam date is September 11, and as it gets into fall, they will add more exam dates starting in January so to apply this year, the latest you can possibly take it is September 11. Don't worry, people will cancel and reschedule in August as their dates come up but they want more time, so just check every day for a spot!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else scared that putting small animal as your preference will hurt their chances?

Anyone else scared that putting small animal as your preference will hurt their chances?
It's my understanding that they only ask this for the purpose of some entrance scholarships that they give out (e.g. highest GPA for a food animal candidate) or whatever. For the MMI the interviewers know literally nothing about you other than your name when you come in, so it wouldn't affect your performance there, and it's not part of the overall assessment of candidates either.

I have a few questions regarding references for vet school and would like some advice! What would you say is more important, the supportiveness of the reference or how well they know you? For example, is it better to have a reference who worked with you for a shorter duration so therefore don’t know you personally too well, but their recommendation is glowingly positive, or one who worked with you for a little longer but their recommendation, while still supportive, is not as enthusiastic? How about for their credentials? Is it better to have a glowing reference from a non-vet (and thus all 3 references are not veterinarians) or a still positive but not as glowing reference from a vet?

I have a few questions regarding references for vet school and would like some advice! What would you say is more important, the supportiveness of the reference or how well they know you? For example, is it better to have a reference who worked with you for a shorter duration so therefore don’t know you personally too well, but their recommendation is glowingly positive, or one who worked with you for a little longer but their recommendation, while still supportive, is not as enthusiastic? How about for their credentials? Is it better to have a glowing reference from a non-vet (and thus all 3 references are not veterinarians) or a still positive but not as glowing reference from a vet?
Did they change the requirements for references? It used to be at least one of the references had to be from a vet.

Otherwise having a more positive reference is probably better, even if the time period is shorter.

Did they change the requirements for references? It used to be at least one of the references had to be from a vet.

Otherwise having a more positive reference is probably better, even if the time period is shorter.
Reference requirements are:
• Identification and contact information of the three (3) references, including two professional references, and one personal reference.
Referees must include an instructor at a post-secondary institution, a supervisor from a work/volunteer setting, and a personal reference who is a non-relative or close friend.

Do you think it would be okay to include an instructor that was NOT your professor? For example, my boss is an instructor at UofC but did not teach me in any courses.

Any tips for selecting personal references that aren't close friends or relatives?

Reference requirements are:
• Identification and contact information of the three (3) references, including two professional references, and one personal reference.
Referees must include an instructor at a post-secondary institution, a supervisor from a work/volunteer setting, and a personal reference who is a non-relative or close friend.

Do you think it would be okay to include an instructor that was NOT your professor? For example, my boss is an instructor at UofC but did not teach me in any courses.

Any tips for selecting personal references that aren't close friends or relatives?
I believe they want the instructor to be someone who specifically taught you, but I would maybe email admissions to ask about that. For my personal reference I picked a family friend who knew me through horse showing, so could attest to my love of animals and their care etc. So if there's someone along that lines you can think of that might be a good option!

I am pretty sure it has to be a professor from the University who taught you in a course (I know it can't be a TA), but maybe confirm that with admissions just in case!

I believe WCVM requires one to be a vet, but U of C doesn't have that requirement as of now. I'm just on the fence about which vet to ask since I've spent more time with one than the other, but the less time one really likes me. Additionally, who would you say is a good person to ask for personal references? How well do they have to know you?

I am pretty sure it has to be a professor from the University who taught you in a course (I know it can't be a TA), but maybe confirm that with admissions just in case!
Is there a better person (or email) to use instead of the general admissions email? I find the general admissions account isn't very helpful!

Is there a better person (or email) to use instead of the general admissions email? I find the general admissions account isn't very helpful!
I honestly find I have to send them at least 3 emails before I get a response. Trying titling it something more urgent or like "References for 2021/2022 Cycle" so they can see it's time sensitive and hopefully you will get a faster response! I think it's just the general admissions email on the website.

Anyone else taking the MCAT in this next round of exams (Aug. 26-28)? How are you feeling? I've been using the AAMC online bundle as my main resource this summer as well as the Kaplan books, but I don't think anyone goes into the MCAT feeling 100% confident

For those who've already written the exam, how did it go?

Anyone else taking the MCAT in this next round of exams (Aug. 26-28)? How are you feeling? I've been using the AAMC online bundle as my main resource this summer as well as the Kaplan books, but I don't think anyone goes into the MCAT feeling 100% confident

I took the exam in July and just got my scores back. I felt realllllyyyyy not confident but I ended up getting a 503 so I would try not to stress too much

Reactions: 2 users

I took mine August 12! I definitely did not feel ready heading in, and it was a rough day for me. However, I think the exam went okay, it was exactly what was expected in difficulty and the staff there was very kind and accommodating to me.

I need any advice I could get for personal references. Who should I ask? What makes a great personal reference? How well do they have to know you?

The statistics are out for this years vet school admission. The average GPA of acceptance was 3.95. That is INSANE high. For reference the average GPA of acceptance at U of A med school was 3.85 😲

• Wow
The statistics are out for this years vet school admission. The average GPA of acceptance was 3.95. That is INSANE high. For reference the average GPA of acceptance at U of A med school was 3.85 😲
Holy dinah that's crazy! Huge jump from the previous year from what I recall

Well I guess I'm glad I'm already a vet because this 2020 grad wouldn't have cut it. Yikes

Well I guess I'm glad I'm already a vet because this 2020 grad wouldn't have cut it. Yikes
Lol I'm pretty sure I applied with like a 3.82 or something sooo I guess new vet students are just a lot smarter than us :laugh:

Hi everyone! It's been a little while! How did the MCAT go for everyone?!

Hi everyone! It's been a little while! How did the MCAT go for everyone?!
For only studying for a few weeks it went better than expected! Won't be applying to med school with it by any means but had a nice cushion between my score and the minimum cut off.

For only studying for a few weeks it went better than expected! Won't be applying to med school with it by any means but had a nice cushion between my score and the minimum cut off.
Me as well! I was very shocked and happy with my score for the amount of studying time we had. It's great to have a cushion because we never know if UCVM will increase their MCAT score requirement (like what happened with GPA).

Me as well! I was very shocked and happy with my score for the amount of studying time we had. It's great to have a cushion because we never know if UCVM will increase their MCAT score requirement (like what happened with GPA).
Well, I can definitely see that happening but I think this will be my last round applying to UCVM anyways (first year applying international!). This is round three for me (no interviews) and finally got my GPA high enough for a potential acceptance before everything changed. If they look at my 5 years of experience and I am not what they are looking for, I highly doubt that is going to change in the future for me.

I
Well, I can definitely see that happening but I think this will be my last round applying to UCVM anyways (first year applying international!). This is round three for me (no interviews) and finally got my GPA high enough for a potential acceptance before everything changed. If they look at my 5 years of experience and I am not what they are looking for, I highly doubt that is going to change in the future for me.
I think that’s exactly what they will be looking for this year!! Less 4.0s who took whatever classes to get a high GPA and more people who know what they’re getting into when entering the veterinarian field. Good luck this cycle!! 😄 Hopefully we will be classmates come September!

Since the GPA requirement is significantly lower now than ever (just need 3.0) I think they’re shifting away from just having high academic stats as a whole (at least let’s hope😂)

Last edited:
Don't worry, I know exactly how you feel! This is my fourth time, and I have been waitlisted before but no luck. The same thing happened to me GPA wise. I am hoping they will finally look at experience too as I think that's what counts most. Best of luck to you!

Also, random question for the people in UCVM. How do your student loans work? Is it like med school where you end up getting a line of credit, or is it just an Alberta government student loan?

Also, random question for the people in UCVM. How do your student loans work? Is it like med school where you end up getting a line of credit, or is it just an Alberta government student loan?
You can do either! Lots of people have both :)

Any predictions for what a competitive applicant might look like this year in terms of GPA, MCAT, references, animal experience, vet experience, etc? Do we think there will be more or less emphasis on the academic aspects of the application with the addition of the MCAT? Where do you think the weight of the application has shifted (if at all)? I'm finding it particularly challenging to know what to expect, especially given the trends in past admission reviews may no longer hold.

Any predictions for what a competitive applicant might look like this year in terms of GPA, MCAT, references, animal experience, vet experience, etc? Do we think there will be more or less emphasis on the academic aspects of the application with the addition of the MCAT? Where do you think the weight of the application has shifted (if at all)? I'm finding it particularly challenging to know what to expect, especially given the trends in past admission reviews may no longer hold.
Well, for the interview they will apparently be blind to both GPA and MCAT scores, so a competitive applicant would have well-rounded experience in small animal, large animal, research, and emergency practice with ideally lots of volunteering. I think there will be much less emphasis on the academics, if there is any at all. From my understanding, at no point in the application process this year are they looking at academics or MCAT other than verifying minimum requirements have been met, but maybe someone else could correct me if I am wrong.

Well, for the interview they will apparently be blind to both GPA and MCAT scores, so a competitive applicant would have well-rounded experience in small animal, large animal, research, and emergency practice with ideally lots of volunteering. I think there will be much less emphasis on the academics, if there is any at all. From my understanding, at no point in the application process this year are they looking at academics or MCAT other than verifying minimum requirements have been met, but maybe someone else could correct me if I am wrong.
I think the order in which the admission process is presented on the UCVM website leaves some ambiguity. For example, the order of the three stages appears to be chronological, but this isn't clear. So, if we take it to be a chronological order of assessment then the following point should theoretically narrow the pool of applicants prior to the subcommittee assessment of non-academic factors in stage 2:
"1) The Admissions Committee recommends students for admission to the program on the basis of academic and non-academic factors. Meeting UCVM’s stated academic requirements does not guarantee that an applicant will be offered an interview."
However, if we take these three sections to be points of information not reflective of the chronological order of assessments, then maybe this first point is just a general statement about the process.

There's of course also a point here about whether the committee can infer your academic successes, etc, even when blinded to GPA/MCAT. For example, through the number and diversity of academic achievements/awards/scholarships obtained.

I think the order in which the admission process is presented on the UCVM website leaves some ambiguity. For example, the order of the three stages appears to be chronological, but this isn't clear. So, if we take it to be a chronological order of assessment then the following point should theoretically narrow the pool of applicants prior to the subcommittee assessment of non-academic factors in stage 2:
"1) The Admissions Committee recommends students for admission to the program on the basis of academic and non-academic factors. Meeting UCVM’s stated academic requirements does not guarantee that an applicant will be offered an interview."
However, if we take these three sections to be points of information not reflective of the chronological order of assessments, then maybe this first point is just a general statement about the process.

There's of course also a point here about whether the committee can infer your academic successes, etc, even when blinded to GPA/MCAT. For example, through the number and diversity of academic achievements/awards/scholarships obtained.
For this application cycle they look if you have a 3.0+GPA and 495+ MCAT score. If you do, the you basically ‘pass’ the 1st round. Now you’re on to the second round, where they look at your application itself but do not see your GPA or MCAT scores. If you ‘pass’ that round then you go to round 3 : the interview.
So even though you pass round 1 you may not pass round 2 ; even if you’re academically qualified you may not get an interview.
Essentially, a 4.0 GPA counts equal to a 3.0 GPA. But you’re right about them being able to infer our academic standing based on what you mentioned

If UCVM is still able to hold in person MMIs in March, what do you think would happen if you got an interview but got covid??? I know they mention that there’s no exceptions if you can’t make it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that was different with covid. Asking as a double vaccinated over thinker 😂

• Care
For this application cycle they look if you have a 3.0+GPA and 495+ MCAT score. If you do, the you basically ‘pass’ the 1st round. Now you’re on to the second round, where they look at your application itself but do not see your GPA or MCAT scores. If you ‘pass’ that round then you go to round 3 : the interview.
So even though you pass round 1 you may not pass round 2 ; even if you’re academically qualified you may not get an interview.
Essentially, a 4.0 GPA counts equal to a 3.0 GPA. But you’re right about them being able to infer our academic standing based on what you mentioned
100% Correct. When they say "meeting the academic requirements doesn't guarantee an interview, they are stating that just because you pass "stage 1", doesn't mean you will be offered an interview because you may not have the experience they are looking for to get the actual interview. They have also always had the statement about "meeting the academic requirements doesn't guarantee an interview" on the website, at least for the past 2 cycles that I have applied.

Hello all, new member here.
I am a first time applicant applying at UCVM. Tried calling admissions but no answer. Confused about transcripts, in the manual is says:
‘if you have entered your Alberta Student Number (ASN), transcripts from participating institutions will be sent automatically to the UCVM Admissions Office and no other action is required on your part’.
*not sure what participating institution means.
My question is does UCVM automatically upload a student transcripts if they are already attending university of Calgary or does the student need to request for official transcripts to be sent to UCVM before the deadline.

Hello all, new member here.
I am a first time applicant applying at UCVM. Tried calling admissions but no answer. Confused about transcripts, in the manual is says:
‘if you have entered your Alberta Student Number (ASN), transcripts from participating institutions will be sent automatically to the UCVM Admissions Office and no other action is required on your part’.
*not sure what participating institution means.
My question is does UCVM automatically upload a student transcripts if they are already attending university of Calgary or does the student need to request for official transcripts to be sent to UCVM before the deadline.
They aren't great for answering calls or emails so don't feel like you are the only one! Any student in an Alberta institution should have their transcripts auto-uploaded by the Apply Alberta system. You can definitely check the status to see if they have been pulled to ensure they are there on time but there shouldn't be an issue. For example, UofA, RDC, UofL, Lakeland College all would be "participating" institutions because they are in Alberta.

Th
They aren't great for answering calls or emails so don't feel like you are the only one! Any student in an Alberta institution should have their transcripts auto-uploaded by the Apply Alberta system. You can definitely check the status to see if they have been pulled to ensure they are there on time but there shouldn't be an issue. For example, UofA, RDC, UofL, Lakeland College all would be "participating" institutions because they are in Alberta
They aren't great for answering calls or emails so don't feel like you are the only one! Any student in an Alberta institution should have their transcripts auto-uploaded by the Apply Alberta system. You can definitely check the status to see if they have been pulled to ensure they are there on time but there shouldn't be an issue. For example, UofA, RDC, UofL, Lakeland College all would be "participating" institutions because they are in Alberta.
Thank you so much for clarifying this.