University of Illinois c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oregon is slightly cheaper, roughly $3000 less a year, but $3000 x 4 years + interest. I may need to pass. I also don't want to regret not taking the interview. Can you tell me a bit more about the school though? What are classes like?
I know U of I has an amazing program, but I've also been told to pick the cheapest school because you can get a solid education at any of the schools. I'm not 100% sure what I'd like to focus on in school. I do love small animal but I'm also interested in zoo/wildlife med.

Yeah, looking at my excel sheet I use for my loans, that 12,000 turns into 29000 over 15 years. So not chump change by any means.

About the school:

I've liked it so far. The way our year works is that we have four 8-week quarters from August to May. Quarter 1 could have been worse, though it was the worst I have ever done academically. I missed the cut off for a C by .224% (ended with a 69.221%). With our grades, we have a quiz week 2, midterms week 4, quiz week 6, and finals week 8, with little things interspersed throughout. The midterm, final, and quizzes come out to 80% of the grade though for quarter 1 (not so now in quarter 3). So I've had to adjust time management and other factors. We have 5 cores (anatomy, histology, imaging, physiology, and neurobiology) which are all on each quiz and test. They're all combined into one grade. So, like, I got a 55% on the anatomy final practical, but an 84% on the imaging/histology section. With the other sections, it averaged out to a 70%. So, since I did worse on the midterm, the class averaged to that 69% nonsense up there.

Quarter 2: Fantastic. lol. But it is the clinical rotations quarter of first year, so you really have to noticeably screw up to not do well, depending on the rotation. Unfortunately, you don't get to pick your first year ones. I had WEAMS, med skills, surgical skills, ER/CC, ortho surgery, lab animal med, FARMS, and one more I can't remember right now. lol.

As far as wildlife, @pinkpuppy9 can give you more info there. I'm not a part of the wildlife medical clinic, so I don't know much about our program on that front.

Quarter 3: Feeling better cause anatomy is worth significantly less now. lol. First quiz tomorrow, so hopefully it goes well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
It's been a while, but can't you also take the train from Chicago to Champaign? I did this back in the late 90's... not sure if it's a logical option but just throwing it out there...
You sure can! One train leaves the station Chicago around 8:15 am and arrives around 10:30am. But warning Amtrak is always late!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
@batsenecal, good luck on your quiz!!!! I was curious about the way they show the "weekly schedule" of a first year student on the website. Is that representation accurate in your opinion? I have a feeling (based on everything you said - and THANK YOU for the insight) that they'll want to know about our time management skills. LOL.
I'm interested in pursuing shelter medicine and disaster response. I saw from the UIUC website that there is a shelter med elective, have you done that yet? How does the school "feel" about shelter med? I saw there is an ASPCA poison control center in Urbana, is it also a clinic? Are you guys involved in that at all?
THANK YOU for your help & information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everybody getting invites tod

That would be awesome if thats the case because my microbio lab has a ridiculous attendance policy and i was not wanting to have to deal with that if I missed the day lol
Are you an undergrad here? Is it for MCB 101? lol

@batsenecal, good luck on your quiz!!!! I was curious about the way they show the "weekly schedule" of a first year student on the website. Is that representation accurate in your opinion? I have a feeling (based on everything you said - and THANK YOU for the insight) that they'll want to know about our time management skills. LOL.
I'm interested in pursuing shelter medicine and disaster response. I saw from the UIUC website that there is a shelter med elective, have you done that yet? How does the school "feel" about shelter med? I saw there is an ASPCA poison control center in Urbana, is it also a clinic? Are you guys involved in that at all?

I'm attaching a screenshot of this week's schedule for you to see so you see a "real" schedule. It's different week by week, quarter by quarter. It also doesn't include my electives I'm taking for the quarter. But we have our entire quarter schedule so we can plan things out.

The shelter med I/II elective started this quarter, so I'm not taking it. It filled almost instantaneously; they had to raise the cap to meet class demand (happens every year). There is also a shelter med rotation that some first years got to do (and can do in subsequent rotation quarters). The school is definite about that shelter med life. There's also an active club where first years have already done neuters and spays. I believe the poison control center was started by the school and then passed onto the ASPCA, but I'd have to double check that. It's just a call center.

Attachments

• Screenshot (15).png
    Screenshot (15).png
    251.6 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: 2 users
I had a friend who worked as a phone operator for the ASPCA Poison Control but I have not worked there myself. That might be something you might need to look into, maybe ask about it during your interview? PS I am taking the Shelter Med gen ed in the spring!

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, if anyone has questions about the Wildlife Clinic/zoo med + exotics service, let me know! I'll do my best to answer.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats everyone! Glad to hear you guys are finally being notified. Please, when you send in your acceptance email of the interview, make sure you get a confirmation back. When I applied, for some reason my email never went through and I had to scramble to show I had sent them several emails to get my interview. I nearly got left out. If you don't hear anything within a week, I suggest calling them and verify that way they got your email. It may annoy them, but it's better than losing your interview spot because your email screwed up.

To get to Chicago, you can take the train or the Illini Shuttle. Both will take you to O'hare. I would recommend a taxi or Uber to get around town. I live near a few hotels on Lincoln so I could possibly help some get to campus depending on what I have that day. (Is it a Tuesday this year?) I can't help get you guys back though because I usually have to go to work right after class.

If you have any questions about the wildlife clinic or the WEAMS program at the school, you can ask me as well. I'm the clinic's treasurer and have taken pretty much all the exotic electives so I've gotten to know the WEAMS department pretty well. Congrats again guys!

Congrats everyone! Glad to hear you guys are finally being notified. Please, when you send in your acceptance email of the interview, make sure you get a confirmation back. When I applied, for some reason my email never went through and I had to scramble to show I had sent them several emails to get my interview. I nearly got left out. If you don't hear anything within a week, I suggest calling them and verify that way they got your email. It may annoy them, but it's better than losing your interview spot because your email screwed up.

To get to Chicago, you can take the train or the Illini Shuttle. Both will take you to O'hare. I would recommend a taxi or Uber to get around town. I live near a few hotels on Lincoln so I could possibly help some get to campus depending on what I have that day. (Is it a Tuesday this year?) I can't help get you guys back though because I usually have to go to work right after class.

If you have any questions about the wildlife clinic or the WEAMS program at the school, you can ask me as well. I'm the clinic's treasurer and have taken pretty much all the exotic electives so I've gotten to know the WEAMS department pretty well. Congrats again guys!

It is Monday the 13th.

It is Monday the 13th.
Thank you, so yes I could take some of you to campus. I won't have class until 9am that day. I may be a bit grumpy though because that'll be the beginning of third consecutive week of junior surgery around a midterm. I'm not a morning person and junior surgery forces me to be one.

Question for the wildlifers on here! :owle: My main interest is wildlife medicine with a dream job of working in a zoo (but I'm flexible, I have many interests). However, I have a deep love for birds of prey. Does U of I offer anything to satisfy my bird desire or will I need to seek additional experience outside of the University for this?
Thanks in advance!

Are there experiences available for people interested in clinical pharmacology?

Members don't see this ad :)
When I interviewed, the interviews were 8-5. I don't know if that means the last interview started at 5 or ended at 5, but that should give you an idea. I'm not sure how times are assigned, either.
@AllieLane My interview last year was at 4:30. If I remember correctly I was the last interview that day, but don't quote me on it. Someone may have had a 5:00 interview but dropped at the last minute.

I'm not in the school yet, but I worked at the Humane Society that the vet school sends the students in the shelter medicine class to. I didn't work directly with the students, but from what I saw working there a few years a lot of the shelter medicine students did mostly spays and neuters, and other surgical work if it came up. I worked in the medical lab, where we gave the pets their medications, vaccines, microchips, did wellness exams, bloodwork for heartworm and FIV/FeLV tests, fecal/ear microscopy assessments, etc. The vet students weren't with us during any of this, and seemed to mostly stay in the surgical room. Not sure how much occurred in there outside of surgeries.

Question for the wildlifers on here! :owle: My main interest is wildlife medicine with a dream job of working in a zoo (but I'm flexible, I have many interests). However, I have a deep love for birds of prey. Does U of I offer anything to satisfy my bird desire or will I need to seek additional experience outside of the University for this?
Thanks in advance!
The Wildlife Medical Clinic, where you can volunteer at as long as you're a student, consists mostly of birds of prey patients. We also have residents that students are trained to take care of so you will get plenty of bird time! The clinic is an additional time commitment, but for perspective I work most nights while going to school all day and still manage to complete my clinic obligations. Spring is a bit more difficult due to baby overload, but it's great experience. I personally am interested in wildlife population health. I'm part of the clinic, Public Health Association, Non-traditional Species Club, and the school's chapter of the Wildlife Disease Association. There's tons of lunch lectures and many of them have wetlabs or field trips to zoos, aquariums, and Dr. Shipley's deer farm (he's our swine vet). The school has a close connection to multiple zoos near Champaign-Urbana and Brookfield up in Chicago so if you get WEAMS as a rotation during 1st or 2nd year, you will go to a zoo for a day. Dr. Whittington has also started working with a prairie park (I don't know its name) and will take students 4th year with her to work on wildlife there. We also have a plethora of exotic electives. I've taken pretty much all of them. UIUC doesn't track until 4th year and even that is vague. It's broken down into large animal track and small animal track. Even though I want to do exotics, I plan on taking the large animal track because it provides me more room to do more exotic based rotations. Do remember that zoo work is highly competitive. Usually it requires an internship and residency, which includes GPA. There are ways to work at zoos without them, but you will be working for smaller zoos that way. If your dream is to work for a big one, keep GPA in mind no matter where you go. Hope this helps!

Are there experiences available for people interested in clinical pharmacology?
There's a pharm/tox rotation available during 1st and 2nd year. I personally am not interested in that, but if you talk to Dr. Biehl he could give you more information. He is the one who runs that rotation and teaches a lot of the drug calculation lectures. Dr. Black is also the school's pharmacologist. She's super awesome and was originally a human pharmacist but liked us more lol. UIUC may not have things directly, but we always have professors and clinicians who are willing to help you find what you're looking for. Urbana also has the national ASPCA poison control center. They DO hire vet students. Someone in my class worked for them for a while. LSU also stole our other pharmacologist, Dr. Dirikolu. He is all about that pharm.

@AllieLane My interview last year was at 4:30. If I remember correctly I was the last interview that day, but don't quote me on it. Someone may have had a 5:00 interview but dropped at the last minute.
Were you OOS or IS? Was it the case that OOS tend to be in the morning?
I wonder if it's too much to call them and ask for a morning interview...
Thank you!!

Are you an undergrad here? Is it for MCB 101? lol

yep! But im actually a MCB major so its MCB301 :p love my major but it can be a pain in the butt sometimes

does anybody know if there's anywhere to find old UIUC interview questions to prepare for the interview?

does anybody know if there's anywhere to find old UIUC interview questions to prepare for the interview?

You will not find any of our questions. We're told at the interview that we cannot share interview questions and it would be considered a breach of academic honesty to do so. With that said, there's an interview question section somewhere on here and if you want to look at other school's questions, that's an option.

There's a pharm/tox rotation available during 1st and 2nd year. I personally am not interested in that, but if you talk to Dr. Biehl he could give you more information. He is the one who runs that rotation and teaches a lot of the drug calculation lectures. Dr. Black is also the school's pharmacologist. She's super awesome and was originally a human pharmacist but liked us more lol. UIUC may not have things directly, but we always have professors and clinicians who are willing to help you find what you're looking for. Urbana also has the national ASPCA poison control center. They DO hire vet students. Someone in my class worked for them for a while. LSU also stole our other pharmacologist, Dr. Dirikolu. He is all about that pharm.

Awesome, thank you so much for the helpful information!

Were you OOS or IS? Was it the case that OOS tend to be in the morning?
I wonder if it's too much to call them and ask for a morning interview...
Thank you!!
I was in state. Now that you mention it I do believe they did most oos first. One of my other IS friends was also very late in the afternoon. We were both going to undergrad at u of I too so we all might have been last since they knew we'd already be on campus.

I'm going to throw this out there, but if a few of you want to meet up on Sunday the 12th at the school and have a tour done the day before all the craziness, I'd be down! I can just study before/after we meet up, and then you guys don't have to worry about it on that Monday

I'm going to throw this out there, but if a few of you want to meet up on Sunday the 12th at the school and have a tour done the day before all the craziness, I'd be down! I can just study before/after we meet up, and then you guys don't have to worry about it on that Monday

I would love that!!! Count me in! We will be in town. Is it ok if spouse comes or no?

I would love that!!! Count me in! We will be in town. Is it ok if spouse comes or no?

Not a problem!! As we get closer to the date and people see when they'll probably be getting in, we can find out times people will be available.

I am giving up my OOS spot for an interview. Hopefully it gives someone else the chance to get an interview!

I've actually wondered that... Do they invite more people to interview if others give it up, or does that just give a better chance for the people who are interviewing to be accepted?

Hi everyone! Congratulations for all of those who were invited to interview! For anyone who is coming in from out of town and needs to stay a night either before or after interview day, I have an extra bed in my apartment and would be happy to host someone. PM me for more details. I have a hound who can get a bit rambunctious, but if you can deal with that, you are more than welcome! :)

I've actually wondered that... Do they invite more people to interview if others give it up, or does that just give a better chance for the people who are interviewing to be accepted?

It's hard to say, honestly, because they're going to accept fewer people outright to begin with this year thanks to my class. Lol.

Don't think of it as competition any more. Have the best interview you can have because now that's half the decision. Sell yourself!!

Has anyone received a confirmation email? I know they said they give us our interview time after Feb 1st but I'd also like to know that they received my interview acceptance email before that deadline. Just a little paranoid over here!

Has anyone received a confirmation email? I know they said they give us our interview time after Feb 1st but I'd also like to know that they received my interview acceptance email before that deadline. Just a little paranoid over here!

Not yet. I am thinking if I don't get a confirmation on February 2nd I'll call!

any current students know if we are allowed to bring a guest to the interview day? (obviously not for the actual interview part)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

any current students know if we are allowed to bring a guest to the interview day? (obviously not for the actual interview part)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yes. Guests are totally welcome!

It's hard to say, honestly, because they're going to accept fewer people outright to begin with this year thanks to my class. Lol.

Don't think of it as competition any more. Have the best interview you can have because now that's half the decision. Sell yourself!!
I was actually curious about that too, how much your giant class would affect the next year haha. Do you have any idea if it's a very significant decrease in the number they're accepting? I guess they could've also sent out fewer interview invitations to begin with as well.

I was actually curious about that too, how much your giant class would affect the next year haha. Do you have any idea if it's a very significant decrease in the number they're accepting? I guess they could've also sent out fewer interview invitations to begin with as well.

When Dr. Constable had a lunch lecture open forum thing, I asked specifically how this was going to work and he said they would send out the same amount of interview invites and initially accept fewer people (probably fewer OOS because us OOSers screwed everything up). So longer wait list and shorter initial acceptance list.

I'm not sure about how many acceptances will be initially sent out, but you guys will be back to the normal 130 students/class.

I decided to decline my interview spot and accept an offer from another school. Good luck to all of you interviewing. I wish you the best!

Is there a shuttle for us to go from our hotel to the vet school on the day of the interview?

Is there a shuttle for us to go from our hotel to the vet school on the day of the interview?

No, I don't believe there is any sort of transportation sponsored by the school. Uber is a good option.

Actually, several of the hotels had shuttles going between the vet school and themselves the entire day last year.

You'll get an email recommending local hotels/local general information (hopefully) that will tell you which hotels will have shuttles.

Actually, several of the hotels had shuttles going between the vet school and themselves the entire day last year.

You'll get an email recommending local hotels/local general information (hopefully) that will tell you which hotels will have shuttles.
Nice. I don't think they did that for my year. I'm glad they are offering it though, because parking is difficult since you guys are coming on a normal school day.

you guys are coming on a normal school day.

Yeah, like, what the hell? They asked us and you guys to help. I'm the only first year helping after 1 the last time I checked and you guys are on rotations. People in my class aren't willing to skip anatomy for this. Did you guys have class last year on interview day?

Yeah, like, what the hell? They asked us and you guys to help. I'm the only first year helping after 1 the last time I checked and you guys are on rotations. People in my class aren't willing to skip anatomy for this. Did you guys have class last year on interview day?
Oh yeah, and the year I interviewed also was during classes I'm pretty sure. There is actually a group of students that gives tours throughout the entire year (they are paid for this) and they weren't offered the hours on interview day -_-. Half of the third years are likely too busy with their incoming jr sx patients, too. The interview groups were never in the way of us though, and it didn't disrupt our day. Allender actually had us scream as loud as we could during anatomy lecture to disrupt the interviews going on outside of the path lab :laugh: We don't really see you guys since we're in our lecture halls for most of the day.

I think it may have been on this thread or another Illinois thread, but interviewees notice the tension and stress. At least this year you will have just finished midterms. I think in the last few years, midterms were the same week as interviews. Tours went through the anatomy lab when students were cramming and looking completely panicked, and it reflected poorly on the school imo. Interviewees need to see students smiling, not looking like zombies. My class will start to get the panicked look pretty soon though, what with the OSCEs coming up (cumulative exam on both physical skills and every course we've taken in school thus far...).

However, this is how they've done it for years. I'm not sure why that's the case, it seems many other schools choose a Saturday. I suppose it's to give the future students a taste of what being at Illinois looks like.

Edit: Although now that we have both classrooms, I'm curious to see what the set up will be like. My interview year had us sit in both the first and second year rooms for the admissions presentation. You guys can't fit anywhere but your room and LAC 100...maybe they'll put you in LAC so they can use the 1st/2nd year rooms again?

For serious though, just give us the 13th off lol.

Oh yeah, and the year I interviewed also was during classes I'm pretty sure. There is actually a group of students that gives tours throughout the entire year (they are paid for this) and they weren't offered the hours on interview day -_-. Half of the third years are likely too busy with their incoming jr sx patients, too. The interview groups were never in the way of us though, and it didn't disrupt our day. Allender actually had us scream as loud as we could during anatomy lecture to disrupt the interviews going on outside of the path lab :laugh: We don't really see you guys since we're in our lecture halls for most of the day.

I think it may have been on this thread or another Illinois thread, but interviewees notice the tension and stress. At least this year you will have just finished midterms. I think in the last few years, midterms were the same week as interviews. Tours went through the anatomy lab when students were cramming and looking completely panicked, and it reflected poorly on the school imo. Interviewees need to see students smiling, not looking like zombies. My class will start to get the panicked look pretty soon though, what with the OSCEs coming up (cumulative exam on both physical skills and every course we've taken in school thus far...).

However, this is how they've done it for years. I'm not sure why that's the case, it seems many other schools choose a Saturday. I suppose it's to give the future students a taste of what being at Illinois looks like.

Edit: Although now that we have both classrooms, I'm curious to see what the set up will be like. My interview year had us sit in both the first and second year rooms for the admissions presentation. You guys can't fit anywhere but your room and LAC 100...maybe they'll put you in LAC so they can use the 1st/2nd year rooms again?

For serious though, just give us the 13th off lol.

Yeah, I'm one of the tour guides that gets paid to give tours. Chris Beouy sent us an e-mail saying ASA needed help, but I never heard more from her, so I signed up through ASA. Trust me, I'm kinda salty I won't be getting paid for these tours, especially since my last two have been no shows. lol.

Last year they had us in LAC 1o0 for the Q+A and info sessions since the classrooms aren't done. They may do those in 2251 instead since it's done, but I'm not sure.

I just don't understand why they don't make that a three day weekend/do it over the weekend. They'd get so many more students to help out.

Yeah, I'm one of the tour guides that gets paid to give tours. Chris Beouy sent us an e-mail saying ASA needed help, but I never heard more from her, so I signed up through ASA. Trust me, I'm kinda salty I won't be getting paid for these tours, especially since my last two have been no shows. lol.

Last year they had us in LAC 1o0 for the Q+A and info sessions since the classrooms aren't done. They may do those in 2251 instead since it's done, but I'm not sure.

I just don't understand why they don't make that a three day weekend/do it over the weekend. They'd get so many more students to help out.
Hopefully they have enough sense to halt construction for one day and move that damn crane. I get freaked out walking near it now...

And I can still shuttle people from hotels on Lincoln in the morning. I just can't take you back because of class and work.

Has anyone received a confirmation email yet? I know they said we would hear about interview times after Feb. 1st, but I wasn't sure about them letting us know that they got our interview confirm email..