University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got my interview invite today. No choice in dates, just the email with the day I'm set to interview. Oct 30th. OOS, 31mcat, 3.6c 3.75s non trad for those wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been lurking around this page for quite some time trying to gauge if and when I might get a secondary/interview...very happy to have received ii today so I figured I'd share and help others out.

AACOMAS released primary: 8/15
Secondary Received: 8/22
App Complete: 9/11
Interview Invite: 9/17

31 MCAT, 3.3 cGPA and 3.3sGPA with strong upward trend (3.9 sr year). Traditional. ME resident.

Loved it here when I visited!... So excited and wishing the best for everyone else!!

II via email today at 11! Second invite but will be my first interview!! So excited about this school. I have lived in NH for 10+ years, although I'm now temporarily living further down the East coast.

They gave me October 29th...does anyone know if UNECOM/medical schools in general are receptive to requests to move interview dates? I'm working full time and would be traveling 8 or 9 hours one way, so a Monday or Friday would be much better.

I called to reschedule due to a previously scheduled interview. These are my only two interviews, so I'm not bragging :p They were easily able to schedule me one week later, from Nov 1st to Nov 8th.

Members don't see this ad :)
received my application complete email this morning, keeping my fingers crossed!

Does anyone know the minimum requirements to get a secondary application? I was verified last Friday, but still haven't received one. I have a cGPA 3.34, sGPA 3.2, and a MCAT of 29 (11 BS, 9 PS, 9 VR). Do you think I will get a secondary? I've already finished the questions and I'm getting anxious.

Does anyone know the minimum requirements to get a secondary application? I was verified last Friday, but still haven't received one. I have a cGPA 3.34, sGPA 3.2, and a MCAT of 29 (11 BS, 9 PS, 9 VR). Do you think I will get a secondary? I've already finished the questions and I'm getting anxious.

They send out secondary to almost everyone.

Anyone know the OOS post-interview acceptance rate for UNECOM?

You have a great chance. I am an out of state East Coast applicant, and I got an interview invitation for October. My MCAT was also a 29 (Bio: 10, Phys: 10, Verbal: 9)

I finished the secondary and in about one week and a half received the interview invitation.

You have a great chance. I am an out of state East Coast applicant, and I got an interview invitation for October. My MCAT was also a 29 (Bio: 10, Phys: 10, Verbal: 9)

I finished the secondary and in about one week and a half received the interview invitation.

What date did you complete your secondary? I know things are quicker in the beginning

Has anyone emailed the office of constituent services to request speaking with a current student prior to their interview? If so, had anyone heard back from them/ generally how long did you have to wait? I was originally going to call to request speaking with a student but the email with my II specifically asked us to email. Thanks!

I'm aware that there is a secondary question about having contact with any student, facult, or alum prior to applying to UNECOM. I got the okay to meet with a UNECOM alum who is an immunologist here in Nebraska and I am expecting a secondary once verified on aacomas within the next week. What kinds of questions should I be asking this physician?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite for November 8th!!!! Anyone else interviewing at this time? Anyone who has previously interviewed want to share their stories???

Got my II email this morning as well. Looking forward to meeting you guys on interview day!

3.5/3.5/35/non-trad, no II?

When did you submit? Maybe it just hasn't come in yet.

I was complete Mid-September. 3.78/3.78/27 (9PS/8VR/10BS) URM... non-trad... 5 years of research experience

Just wondering, has anyone has any success with moving their interview date at UNECOM? I am trying to organize mine by region to minimize time off work, travel and expenses.

Just wondering, has anyone has any success with moving their interview date at UNECOM? I am trying to organize mine by region to minimize time off work, travel and expenses.

I had no problem moving mine - I just emailed Lisa Lane explaining that I work full time, will have to commit quite a lot of time to traveling, etc., and she promptly offered me several other dates. The downside is that my interview is now over 2 weeks later than the date for which it was originally scheduled, but oh well.

I have an interview on Nov. 7, would anyone who has an interview on Nov. 8 be willing to switch with me? I already contacted UNECOM and they told me Nov. 8 is full. Not sure if it's possible, but if you're interested, PM me. Thanks.

I have an interview on Nov. 7, would anyone who has an interview on Nov. 8 be willing to switch with me? I already contacted UNECOM and they told me Nov. 8 is full. Not sure if it's possible, but if you're interested, PM me. Thanks.
Nvm, I switched to Nov 15.

Hey guys, I'm trying to decide if it's worth sending a secondary app here since it's relatively late in the cycle. I just received my Sept 7 MCAT scores and I didn't make any significant improvements except in verbal. The first time I took the test I got a 5VR, 9PS, 10BS and the second time I got a 10VR,7PS, 8BS. (Really should have voided the retake, but stupidly kept going anyway.) I have a 3.43cGPA and 3.3sGPA. Considering my stats and it's practically mid-October, is there a point to submitting the secondary at this point? Thanks for the input!

Hey guys, I'm trying to decide if it's worth sending a secondary app here since it's relatively late in the cycle. I just received my Sept 7 MCAT scores and I didn't make any significant improvements except in verbal. The first time I took the test I got a 5VR, 9PS, 10BS and the second time I got a 10VR,7PS, 8BS. (Really should have voided the retake, but stupidly kept going anyway.) I have a 3.43cGPA and 3.3sGPA. Considering my stats and it's practically mid-October, is there a point to submitting the secondary at this point? Thanks for the input!

I would... if you take your highest MCAT score you have 10VR, 9PS, 10BS... that is a decent score... and some schools only look at your highest score... if you already sent them a primary... hurry up and send them a secondary... :)

Does anyone know about how many people they interview per interview day?

Could you expand a bit on your connections to New England and why you want to go to UNE-COM? It's hard for me to judge your fit for the school (a big part of what they look for in applicants) based solely on what you said. Your GPA is okay, but the 24/25 MCAT is an issue... though possibly okay if everything else is great. I don't think UNE "superscores" the MCAT, but there's obviously something weird going on with your verbal (5 --> 10 when the other sections are 9 --> 7 and 10 --> 8)????... so if your essays are GREAT, it might make your concerning 5VR a little bit less so.

I'm pretty sure they care mostly about the bio subsection based on what I heard when I visited. What was the gap between your test administration? Do you have an idea why your other sections significantly declined? Do you have a reason for the poor MCAT score? Is it something you can explain on the secondary? Of course you don't have to answer all of these questions... but they're just the things that come to my mind and may be thought of by adcoms.

Of course, there's ALWAYS a point to submitting the secondary ... so, do it! :) You'll never know what might have happened if you don't! GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:
Could you expand a bit on your connections to New England and why you want to go to UNE-COM? It's hard for me to judge your fit for the school (a big part of what they look for in applicants) based solely on what you said. Your GPA is okay, but the 24/25 MCAT is an issue... though possibly okay if everything else is great. I don't think UNE "superscores" the MCAT, but there's obviously something weird going on with your verbal (5 --> 10 when the other sections are 9 ..> 7 and 10 --> 8)????... so if your essays are GREAT, it might make your concerning 5VR a little bit less so. I'm pretty sure they care mostly about the bio subsection based on what I hear when I visited.

Do you have a reason for the poor MCAT score? Is it something you can explain on the secondary?

Of course, there's ALWAYS a point to submitting the secondary :) You'll never know what might have happened if you don't! GOOD LUCK!

Well, I have no real connections to Maine, but I've spent four years of undergrad in Providence and visited Massachusetts and New Hampshire frequently. I have decent number of friends and family who are still living in Providence/Boston area and I simply fell in love with New England! As far as Maine goes, however, I've visited maybe once as a young kid. So not a really strong connection there...They have a great reputation for primary care and people genuinely seem to love being there.

The poor MCAT score is really because of a lack of preparation--no real excuse. The first time I took it I simply wasn't prepared. It was my second year teaching high school last year and they suddenly gave me two new classes to teach, which left me very little time and energy to study. I took the test because I've been postponing it for so long and really wanted to apply this cycle! I got my score in July, freaked out because of my verbal score and immediately signed up for a September test date. I didn't start studying until mid-August and was trying to fill out secondaries and taking a psychology course at the same time. I basically have no legit excuses. I just let life "get in the way" lol. (Yes, I'm trying to get it together!)

Probably the best thing for me to do is to quit my teaching job (it's so much work--can be up to 80 hours a week at times!) and study for three months straight to retake it for a third time. I may do that in a few months if I still don't get any bites from anywhere else. (I have two interviews pending so far, but doubt I'm getting anymore.)

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement everyone! I'm going to submit my secondary ASAP and just pray for good news!

Well, I have no real connections to Maine, but I've spent four years of undergrad in Providence and visited Massachusetts and New Hampshire frequently. I have decent number of friends and family who are still living in Providence/Boston area and I simply fell in love with New England! As far as Maine goes, however, I've visited maybe once as a young kid. So not a really strong connection there...They have a great reputation for primary care and people genuinely seem to love being there.

The poor MCAT score is really because of a lack of preparation--no real excuse. The first time I took it I simply wasn't prepared. It was my second year teaching high school last year and they suddenly gave me two new classes to teach, which left me very little time and energy to study. I took the test because I've been postponing it for so long and really wanted to apply this cycle! I got my score in July, freaked out because of my verbal score and immediately signed up for a September test date. I didn't start studying until mid-August and was trying to fill out secondaries and taking a psychology course at the same time. I basically have no legit excuses. I just let life "get in the way" lol. (Yes, I'm trying to get it together!)

Probably the best thing for me to do is to quit my teaching job (it's so much work--can be up to 80 hours a week at times!) and study for three months straight to retake it for a third time. I may do that in a few months if I still don't get any bites from anywhere else. (I have two interviews pending so far, but doubt I'm getting anymore.)

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement everyone! I'm going to submit my secondary ASAP and just pray for good news!

Don't worry too much. You have about as much of a connection as a lot of people I've talked to at UNE-COM. People really do seem to love being at UNE, and I think that's why it's so great for primary care (happy doctors make happy patients)!

Again, your story sounds like a lot of students from UNE. They love non-traditional applicants, and it's an environment where non-trads can really thrive; UNE is very welcoming, collaborative, and supportive.

Though your close-in-proximity MCAT retakes might be slightly alarming, I would think they are less alarming than someone who took the MCAT years apart and still scored poorly. It shows (to me) that you are capable of a good composite score (~30ish), but have had some timing issues. The re-take wasn't alltogether stupid, since your second score is, at least, a lot more balanced. You sound like a very intelligent and put-together person, so I'm sure you would also interview well.

Definitely submit. Best of luck -- hope to meet you at an interview (if I get one :laugh:)!

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I am a Maine resident, and although I haven't gotten an interview yet :mad:

If anyone has any questions about the area, or if they are in town for an interview and want to get shown around PM me. I live about 30 minutes North of Biddeford (which is not really a great town) in the Portland area. In stark contrast to Biddeford, Portland is a fantastic place and most of the surrounding area is pretty fantastic as well.

Best of luck everyone!!

Wow, the webform for this secondary app is the stupidest thing I've seen so far in applying to medical schools.

Entering an address of one of my letter writers at the bottom of the page and hit the enter button instead of the 3.

Submitted

****. Better hit back and go fill that **** out. NOPE. Blank page.

Wow, the webform for this secondary app is the stupidest thing I've seen so far in applying to medical schools.

Entering an address of one of my letter writers at the bottom of the page and hit the enter button instead of the 3.

Submitted

Yeah. I wish their system were a bit more intuitive/integrated... I called to make sure all of my things were in line, and it turned out that they had someone else's LOR in my file :rolleyes: ... I think a bit more transparency/sharing of application info would be helpful.

Yea I sent an email but I'll call tomorrow and see what can be done to clear it up. I had drafts in a separate file, but made some significant changes before I was ready to submit. I really hope I don't have to go redo all that stuff.

Submitted

Ugh... I have heard that you are not the first person to experience this..

Just got my ii for November 13! Was complete October 9. Pretty pumped! :D

notified through email from Lisa Lane.

Thanks. Good luck on your interview! I'm hoping for the email myself, if you don't mind me asking, what are your stats and are you from the New England area?

Last edited:
Thanks. Good luck on your interview! I'm hoping for the email myself, if you don't mind me asking, what are your stats and are you from the New England area?

I have a 3.76 cum GPA and 3.57 sGPA. Recent MCAT was a 30.
I'm from Boston, MA.

I have a 3.76 cum GPA and 3.57 sGPA. Recent MCAT was a 30.
I'm from Boston, MA.

Thanks, I'll stop with the questions now. Good luck on your interview, UNECOM looks like a great program.

Thanks, I'll stop with the questions now. Good luck on your interview, UNECOM looks like a great program.

haha no worries, we're all here for the same reason!
good luck with your cycle and keep us all posted! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Has anyone interviewed here yet?? This forum seems pretty quiet. I'm interviewing here on Friday!

Has anyone interviewed here yet?? This forum seems pretty quiet. I'm interviewing here on Friday!
Good luck with the interview tomorrow! I agree it is awfully quiet on this thread...

I applied pretty late, so no interview yet. I'm starting to get a bit nervous that having a low GPA (but high MCAT) is making them think twice about inviting me for an interview :scared: ... but I just keep telling myself that I've only been complete for a few weeks :D

Thought I would offer some interview feedback...The first interview day was Tuesday so thats probably why its been so quiet, and there aren't many students in each group. I thought the school seemed nice, its an actual college campus, albeit very small. Town is very rural, on my way in I passed 3-4 kids who were waiting on the school bus on the side of the road, very Mayberry-like. All the current students I met were very friendly and relaxed, and all seemed to be really happy to be there and satisfied with the trajectory of their education. Theres a lot of waiting around like at most interviews, and a tour, and some more waiting. There are only a few people actually conducting the interviews, so if you're not first on the list to go then you just hang out for a while and wait for the people ahead of you.

Actual interview was pretty relaxed with 2 faculty and a current student just shadowing the process - the student doesn't actually ask questions. They don't have a list of tough questions, they will probably just ask you about your journey to med school and one or two other questions. There is only one interview for about 30-40 min. Thats it! If you're one of the first people to be interviewed, the day will probably be pretty short.

From my own research, if you interview you have about a 70%+ chance of acceptance, and if you're female, over an 80% chance. Good luck!

Hey guys. Long time lurker, I rarely if ever post. Let me share my story.

I applied last year, LATE, like secondary in March late. Interviewed in May. Subsequently placed on ASA (Accepted Space Available) list in June. There was movement but not enough for me to matriculate for the current class. My stats are 3.38/26, OOS (CA) and undergrad in 2009.

I finally got a hold of Lisa Lane today (10/18) and got some confirmation that I'm in for next year. First batch of acceptances come out next week.

From what I understand, the class size increased a sizeable amount from 2016 to 2017. The campus built a new classroom to accommodate lectures for the larger class size (250?). During my interview I didn't get quite the feeling that they were ready for the increase, but then again this was May. Seemed to me like a ploy for increased revenues. I'm hopeful to learn more from the current first year class.

From what I've read, interviews seem to be similar to how they were last cycle. Even during my interview session in late May we had somewhere between 10-12 applicants.

Good luck to all of you who choose to interview here! :luck::luck::luck::luck:

Hey guys. Long time lurker, I rarely if ever post. Let me share my story.

I applied last year, LATE, like secondary in March late. Interviewed in May. Subsequently placed on ASA (Accepted Space Available) list in June. There was movement but not enough for me to matriculate for the current class. My stats are 3.38/26, OOS (CA) and undergrad in 2009.

I finally got a hold of Lisa Lane today (10/18) and got some confirmation that I'm in for next year. First batch of acceptances come out next week.

From what I understand, the class size increased a sizeable amount from 2016 to 2017. The campus built a new classroom to accommodate lectures for the larger class size (250?). During my interview I didn't get quite the feeling that they were ready for the increase, but then again this was May. Seemed to me like a ploy for increased revenues. I'm hopeful to learn more from the current first year class.

From what I've read, interviews seem to be similar to how they were last cycle. Even during my interview session in late May we had somewhere between 10-12 applicants.

Good luck to all of you who choose to interview here! :luck::luck::luck::luck:

Are you already interview and gain acceptance? Your comment that you made above worries me. Should applicants to this school be concerned? I have only heard good things about UNECOM. I have friends who went there and are now are Family Medicine residents/fellows in CT. Another student that I know is aiming for radiology. I heard their anatomy department is AMAZING. They all mentioned that they loved their education but things were changing. Should I be concerned that things have changed?

I interviewed in May of this year, 2013. Placed on ASA list which carried over to an admission for this admissions cycle.

I've since followed up with a friend who is a first year at UNECOM and she had glowing remarks about her experience there.

I brought up my comment because of concerns regarding faculty turnover and ratio that a student made in last year's discussion thread. There were concerns that the facilities were not at the time, fit for a 50 student class expansion.

I'm sure things have changed since. But what concrete details, I don't know. I think it would be a worthwhile topic to ask about and understand for potential interviewees.

In regards to change at UNECOM, I believe it's a theme at every medical school in the US. Curriculum is constantly changing and adapting to reflect the needs of future physicians. My first year friend noted that UNECOM's first year curriculum emphasizes clinical knowledge, skills and medical knowledge. She also remarked how the faculty are genuinely supportive and care about the welfare of their students. It's important on the interview trail to understand what each school offers and differs from one another to make the decision that best fits your needs and learning style.