University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed in May of this year, 2013. Placed on ASA list which carried over to an admission for this admissions cycle.

I've since followed up with a friend who is a first year at UNECOM and she had glowing remarks about her experience there.

I brought up my comment because of concerns regarding faculty turnover and ratio that a student made in last year's discussion thread. There were concerns that the facilities were not at the time, fit for a 50 student class expansion.

I'm sure things have changed since. But what concrete details, I don't know. I think it would be a worthwhile topic to ask about and understand for potential interviewees.

In regards to change at UNECOM, I believe it's a theme at every medical school in the US. Curriculum is constantly changing and adapting to reflect the needs of future physicians. My first year friend noted that UNECOM's first year curriculum emphasizes clinical knowledge, skills and medical knowledge. She also remarked how the faculty are genuinely supportive and care about the welfare of their students. It's important on the interview trail to understand what each school offers and differs from one another to make the decision that best fits your needs and learning style.

Did anyone express why there was such a high faculty turnover rate? What is the student to faculty ratio for the medical school? I know there is a world-renowned neuroanatomist who teaches anatomy there. Supposedly UNECOM has one of the best anatomy programs in the country. I hope he is still there. One of my concerns are large class sizes. The largest class that I have ever had, had 60 students in it. I am used to class sizes of 20 or less (in college I had some classes with 4-6 people in them). How does one manage in a large lecture? I have found that I learn very well by studying independently and discussing the material with others. I often have a lot of questions/or clarifications to ask professors regarding the material. Will I be able to do that in such a large lecture course?

Another concern that I have is the reports on UNE being known for greatest student debt? What is the cause of this? It does not seem that UNECOM is much more expensive than other private medical schools. If there is anyone who has any ideas, I would love to hear them. I am OOS, so if I am accepted I do not know if I would qualify for many of their scholarships. Although, I am still very hopeful. :)

Thank you for your insight and help. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I went to an open house there, and I also met with 2 faculty members outside of school at conferences. My understanding is that they are trying to supplement their outstanding anatomy work with increase research potential. UNECOM and UNE in general has been hiring a significant amount of research professors at the Biddeford campus. This was highlighted in the last MOA conference where clinical research on campus seemed to be a important topic. I think the world renowned professor you are talking about (Dr.Peter Morgane) passed away in 2011 I think...sorry. Knowing how you learn and the general family type atmosphere they have at the school, you should be able to find a good balance to be successful no matter what the class size. I know they have a "significant others of medical students" group there, to help the bf/gf/wife/husband feel more at home in a tough situation. They really try and foster a all encompassing learning environment.

As for the debt piece, the tuition is comparable to other schools (except LECOM which is wicked cheap!) , but the cost of living in Portland Maine is very expensive. Most students like to live closer to Portland because its a fantastic city, and there are more living options nearby. Also it is my understand that student housing in the area (Biddeford) is also expensive, and no one wants to live in Biddeford.

Just some random data and thoughts I have collected.

Hope this helps...

Did anyone express why there was such a high faculty turnover rate? What is the student to faculty ratio for the medical school? I know there is a world-renowned neuroanatomist who teaches anatomy there. Supposedly UNECOM has one of the best anatomy programs in the country. I hope he is still there. One of my concerns are large class sizes. The largest class that I have ever had, had 60 students in it. I am used to class sizes of 20 or less (in college I had some classes with 4-6 people in them). How does one manage in a large lecture? I have found that I learn very well by studying independently and discussing the material with others. I often have a lot of questions/or clarifications to ask professors regarding the material. Will I be able to do that in such a large lecture course?

Another concern that I have is the reports on UNE being known for greatest student debt? What is the cause of this? It does not seem that UNECOM is much more expensive than other private medical schools. If there is anyone who has any ideas, I would love to hear them. I am OOS, so if I am accepted I do not know if I would qualify for many of their scholarships. Although, I am still very hopeful. :)

Thank you for your insight and help. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Interview invite for November 19.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you mind sharing when you were complete?

P.S. to anyone else -- sorry if this is mentioned somewhere earlier in the thread... does UNE notify you if your application is put on hold pre-interview?

Sept 16.

Anyone know how unfavorably UNE looks at applicants who have applied to allopathic several times and is now looking to apply to DO? - I noticed there's a question on the secondary that asks to disclose whether I have applied in the past MD and DO. I am hoping to pursue a surgical speciality and in the era it really doesn't matter MD or DO so I am definitely interested in applying here in the future. Thanks!

I'm interviewing here November 12. Anyone else for that date? I got the invite on October 14, was complete somewhere around the 1st of October.

Stats are like a 3.5 cGPA and a 28 MCAT (10, 8, 10). Oh, and I'm a Massachusetts resident.

Anyone know how unfavorably UNE looks at applicants who have applied to allopathic several times and is now looking to apply to DO? - I noticed there's a question on the secondary that asks to disclose whether I have applied in the past MD and DO. I am hoping to pursue a surgical speciality and in the era it really doesn't matter MD or DO so I am definitely interested in applying here in the future. Thanks!

I'm not 100% sure on this yet but I am interviewing on 10/29. I had listed my many MD schools I applied to last cycle, and the few I am this cycle as well. My answer to that question on the secondary was quite lengthy and I was really worried about how it looks to them but I got an interview. We will see if it is mentioned at my interview but I at least was not screened out because of it so far!

I'm not 100% sure on this yet but I am interviewing on 10/29. I had listed my many MD schools I applied to last cycle, and the few I am this cycle as well. My answer to that question on the secondary was quite lengthy and I was really worried about how it looks to them but I got an interview. We will see if it is mentioned at my interview but I at least was not screened out because of it so far!

I doubt they would extend an interview if they were worried about it. That should not be an issue. Your application has been rigorously screened to get you an interview, now it is up to you to show them that you will be a good fit for their school.
Best of luck!

Stats please?

Hey guys/girls,

First year here, since I used this site a lot I felt I would try to help any if you if is possible. I'm not going to sort through this whole thread but feel free to pm me any questions you have.

Our increased class size is 178 +/- 5, they made the necessary renovations and accommodations for the larger class size, our anatomy faculty is fantastic(same neuroanatomist), Portland is awesome, more expensive plus a 30-40 minute commute in the am. I would venture to say the majority of us live in biddeford or saco(nicer side of the river). And if you have ever lived in a city you would not consider biddeford or Saco expensive. Most people I know with a roommate will pay around 500 for rent for a decent place.

Reactions: 1 users
I submitted and paid for my secondary on 10/21 and my letters were delivered via interfolio on 10/22. How long does it take to be complete and do they send a notification of any sort letting you know that they have received everything?

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted and paid for my secondary on 10/21 and my letters were delivered via interfolio on 10/22. How long does it take to be complete and do they send a notification of any sort letting you know that they have received everything?

I received a completion e-mail the next day and an II about a month after completion. I think it takes most medical schools about a month to process your application.

Hey guys/girls,

First year here, since I used this site a lot I felt I would try to help any if you if is possible. I'm not going to sort through this whole thread but feel free to pm me any questions you have.

Our increased class size is 178 +/- 5, they made the necessary renovations and accommodations for the larger class size, our anatomy faculty is fantastic(same neuroanatomist), Portland is awesome, more expensive plus a 30-40 minute commute in the am. I would venture to say the majority of us live in biddeford or saco(nicer side of the river). And if you have ever lived in a city you would not consider biddeford or Saco expensive. Most people I know with a roommate will pay around 500 for rent for a decent place.

Thank you for taking the time to help us out. :)

Hey guys,

I interviewed here last week and thought I'd share my experience for anyone interested. I had a morning interview and there was about 6 of us there. There was a welcome session then we were called one by one for interviews. There was one faculty member and one current student. The interview lasted about 15-20 minutes, very laid back. Pretty much just the questions you'd expect. They do have open file interviews this year which is something new.

Everyone at the school seemed super friendly, the students seemed pretty happy there too. We spent a lot of time sitting around and talking to current students, then we had tour of the facilities. It really is a gorgeous campus. The only thing kind of bothering me is all the changes in curriculum they're undergoing..

Hi Guys,

I went to UNE as an undergraduate and I can tell you it was an AMAZING experience for me. The campus is beautiful and the people are all really wonderful, passionate people. Part of what gave me the courage to apply to medschool this year was the possibility I might end up at UNE again. :)

I graduated in 2009, but when I was there I participated in research with one of the medschool professors. At the time they were working hard to grow their research program. UNE has been growing exponentially for a while now and there are definitely growing pains associated, but personally I wouldn't hesitate to go to medschool there.

The biddeford/saco area is nice to live. There are a few renovated factory buildings that are pretty neat.

I just finished my application about 2 weeks ago, but I am really hoping for a good response. Good luck to everyone and if you get in, I hope you have as good of an experience as I did.

For those who have been accepted, did you have a DO letter? I know that it is not required but "strongly" recommended. I have some friends that are DOs now, but as I said they are friends and perhaps not appropriate...

For those who have been accepted, did you have a DO letter? I know that it is not required but "strongly" recommended. I have some friends that are DOs now, but as I said they are friends and perhaps not appropriate...
I have neither been accepted nor invited for an interview yet, so perhaps take my advice with a grain of salt...

I asked their admissions director (edit: make that "associate dean of constituent services") about this. She said that DO letters are not necessary, and that getting letters from people who have a lot they can say about you (as a person) is the main goal. Of course a DO letter is certainly helpful, but they would rather have a GREAT letter from someone who knows you well than a mediocre/poor letter from a DO.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Thanks, that is really helpful!
Found this (potentially helpful) bit in the supplementary application instructions as well:

Important: Letters from osteopathic physicians (or other health care professionals) should only be sought from someone with whom you
already have an established relationship; someone who is familiar with your preparedness and readiness to assume future academic and
practice responsibilities. The relationship may exist as a result of a mentoring perspective, on-going volunteer work, or as a paid staff member,
but it is important that the relationship already exists. The UNE College of Osteopathic Medicine Committee on Admissions has found that
letters of recommendation from a physician with whom a candidate has only recently met (for the purpose of obtaining a letter) generally do
not reveal/provide enough information to draw appropriate conclusions.

Should I be concerned if I submitted my application 5 weeks ago and haven't heard anything? This is my first choice, but I've heard nothing :(

Should I be concerned if I submitted my application 5 weeks ago and haven't heard anything? This is my first choice, but I've heard nothing :(

I am in the same boat, complete in mid-September

Has anyone had trouble getting through to the admissions office? I keep trying to call the contact number they gave use in the secondary email, but I always have to leave a message and no one ever calls me back?

Hey guys how long did it take from getting a complete email to getting an ii? I got a complete email on 10/4 and silence since then.

Hey guys how long did it take from getting a complete email to getting an ii? I got a complete email on 10/4 and silence since then.
I wouldn't worry. I was complete 10/9 and nothing for me as well. It sounds like they're still working through September... and who knows exactly what kind of review process they use for sending out IIs!

Has anyone had trouble getting through to the admissions office? I keep trying to call the contact number they gave use in the secondary email, but I always have to leave a message and no one ever calls me back?
I think from the admissions page you can also find a list of people in the department with their contact info. I'd try calling or emailing Lisa Lane directly.

Hopefully more iis come out this week...

Accepted today! Here's my timeline, hopefully it helps some people out:

complete: 8/14, invite 9/9, interview 10/15

Congrats! Do you know how frequently they meet to decide acceptances? Any other acceptances?

Hey guys,

I interviewed here last week and thought I'd share my experience for anyone interested. I had a morning interview and there was about 6 of us there. There was a welcome session then we were called one by one for interviews. There was one faculty member and one current student. The interview lasted about 15-20 minutes, very laid back. Pretty much just the questions you'd expect. They do have open file interviews this year which is something new.

Everyone at the school seemed super friendly, the students seemed pretty happy there too. We spent a lot of time sitting around and talking to current students, then we had tour of the facilities. It really is a gorgeous campus. The only thing kind of bothering me is all the changes in curriculum they're undergoing..

Thanks for the information! When you say "open file," did you have the sense that your interviewer(s) had a chance to review your file? What I mean is, did you think he/she had a grasp of your experiences and background when you walked in the room?

I have an upcoming interview too and I'm wondering how much I should try to direct the conversation about my experiences and background.

Thanks for the information! When you say "open file," did you have the sense that your interviewer(s) had a chance to review your file? What I mean is, did you think he/she had a grasp of your experiences and background when you walked in the room?

I have an upcoming interview too and I'm wondering how much I should try to direct the conversation about my experiences and background.

I interviewed last week and I definitely had a sense my file had been reviewed. The questions that were asked seem to piggy back the information they already had about me. I used the interview as a way to tie my experience and personal views together. In a way it's almost a verbal continuation of your essays. The questions really are personal and are their attempt to fill in the gaps of anything they haven't quite gotten from your application or essays. Just know who you are, where you've been and where you hope to go in life. It was a very pleasant conversation that just felt like it flowed... Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed last week and I definitely had a sense my file had been reviewed. The questions that were asked seem to piggy back the information they already had about me. I used the interview as a way to tie my experience and personal views together. In a way it's almost a verbal continuation of your essays. The questions really are personal and are their attempt to fill in the gaps of anything they haven't quite gotten from your application or essays. Just know who you are, where you've been and where you hope to go in life. It was a very pleasant conversation that just felt like it flowed... Hope that helps.

Thanks Murdock, that's a big help. It seems like the best approach might be to let the interviewers direct the questions.

Were there any standard interview questions such as about healthcare in america, personal weaknesses, questions about why you want to attend UNECOM, etc? Or, were the questions all about your file?

Thanks guys!

They had definitely read my file, and asked me some stuff about my experiences, and then they wanted to know what came to mind when I thought about DOs - basically, I think they wanted to get a sense of what I knew about the profession in general. My interview was short, probably only 20 minutes, but it could have been because they were behind and wanted to speed things up, some others had a longer session. I'd bet the questions are different for everybody

As for how often the committee meets, I have no idea.

Thanks Murdock, that's a big help. It seems like the best approach might be to let the interviewers direct the questions.

Were there any standard interview questions such as about healthcare in america, personal weaknesses, questions about why you want to attend UNECOM, etc? Or, were the questions all about your file?

Yea there were some standard interview questions like "why a physician?" And "where do you see yourself in 15 years?" It seemed like those questions were used to keep the conversation going when it would come to a lull. Otherwise the questions kinda flowed from one to another based on how the conversation went. Just imagine yourself sitting down to a cup of coffee with someone (or a couple people) and how a conversation would progress...

AHHH ACCEPTED!! I found out this morning through email!

I was really excited about this school before I interviewed but the whole curriculum change/setting up your own clinicals for 4th year are making me second guess the school. Can any current students comment on what they think about this? Like is it hard to find clinicals on your own? I'm trying to decide between this school and Campbell.

Interview was more colloquial and as the above poster said, similar to having a conversation over coffee with someone. They asked relevant parts of your application that interested them and did not follow standard procedure of the usual questions - less intimidating. Overall, I found the student body to be particularly cordial with one another, which is a plus. I think they really wanted to verify the values and experiences in your application. I left with a sense that Anatomy course is top notch even better than a lot of other allopathic or osteopathic schools. Kudos go to the second year medical student ambassadors who were honest, funny and extremely helpful to anything we asked. They should receive a gold star for making the day more comfortable and inviting.

AHHH ACCEPTED!! I found out this morning through email!

I was really excited about this school before I interviewed but the whole curriculum change/setting up your own clinicals for 4th year are making me second guess the school. Can any current students comment on what they think about this? Like is it hard to find clinicals on your own? I'm trying to decide between this school and Campbell.

congrats! when did you interview ?

Complete 8/17, no II. But no rejection, so that's something.

I'm trying to keep the mentality that no news is good news, but I don't think they have sent out any rounds of rejections yet. Most people who have gotten interview invites hear back about 4 to 6 weeks after their application is complete. I think we have to assume our applications have already been looked over at least once. I just wish that they would send out rejections throughout the entire application process. I think it would make it easier on us and easier on them. Last year some people never heard back at all. UNE is still my top choice, but I'm getting doubtful at this point.

I'm trying to keep the mentality that no news is good news, but I don't think they have sent out any rounds of rejections yet. Most people who have gotten interview invites hear back about 4 to 6 weeks after their application is complete. I think we have to assume our applications have already been looked over at least once. I just wish that they would send out rejections throughout the entire application process. I think it would make it easier on us and easier on them. Last year some people never heard back at all. UNE is still my top choice, but I'm getting doubtful at this point.
I might be wrong, but it seems like most of the people I've seen accepted are from NE, and UNECOM definitely gives a regional preference. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that they are stocking up on locals first and then will get to the rest of us, like others have said, no news is still good news.

I might be wrong, but it seems like most of the people I've seen accepted are from NE, and UNECOM definitely gives a regional preference. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that they are stocking up on locals first and then will get to the rest of us, like others have said, no news is still good news.

About 70% of the class is from New England each year.. and I already know 4 oos applicants who got in :( But the good news is they increased enrollment this year by about 30 so hopefully more oos students are accepted!

Last edited:
Which interview days have heard back? Just wondering how long it generally takes to hear back after an interview.

Received II this morning. Complete early last week, I believe. Does anyone know how to best prepare for the interview? I would love to hear back form those who have already gone through the process. Thanks!

Received II this morning. Complete early last week, I believe. Does anyone know how to best prepare for the interview? I would love to hear back form those who have already gone through the process. Thanks!
Really? That was speedy! I was complete almost a month ago and haven't heard a thing back yet...