University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it still the case that if you get wait-listed at UNECOM you have a guaranteed spot in the next class if not accepted off the wait list this year? (I know they used to do that, just curious if it has remained the same.)

Members don't see this ad.

Is it still the case that if you get wait-listed at UNECOM you have a guaranteed spot in the next class if not accepted off the wait list this year? (I know they used to do that, just curious if it has remained the same.)
What I have never heard of this.

But I wonder if UNE ranks their waitlist and if we can find out by calling. I really hate having to wait until May since that is when you see the most movement.

Last edited:
Uh oh.... I interviewed Nov. 18 and didn't get anything from UNECOM yesterday....

Members don't see this ad :)
I still haven't heard anything back, and I interviewed in mid October.

From what I know it seems like rejections are sent by snail mail. Since everyone notified on Tuesday got waitlisted, I would assume that you are either in the rejection or acceptance group.

1) WAYY too much speculation going on in this thread.

2) Those of you waitlisted, are your stats high (above the school average) or below the avg (which is >3.5/28).

Reactions: 1 user
My stats are a bit varied but 3.43 cGPA, 3.38 sGPA, 37 balanced MCAT. I like to think not applying early + mediocre or even poor interview performance contributed to me being waitlisted. Also, the lack of DO shadowing and being an international student could also contribute to this decision. Though I already paid my deposit at Touro, I'm still hoping for an acceptance from UNECOM. Will have to wait patiently now.

Can a past student offer guidance on whether waitlisted students can get accepted before May at UNE? I know at msot places mid-may to June is the greatest waitlist movement.

Lots of waitlists. Best of luck, y'all! I'm thinking of applying here in 2016 because I'd like to practice in New England...probably Vermont. If y'all don't mind sharing your reasons for applying to UNE, I'd love to hear them to maybe get a better idea of how much I'd like the school.

Can a past student offer guidance on whether waitlisted students can get accepted before May at UNE? I know at msot places mid-may to June is the greatest waitlist movement.
I did a search on SDN and found a post of someone getting in from waitlist in March. I think the waitlist movement really varies from years to years and is dependent on the cohort of students applying. As stated in their Q&A's sheet, UNECOM does accept students off waitlist from Jan to Aug. The other school I was waitlisted at (AZCOM) only starts accepting people off waitlist in May when all the interviews are finished.

Those who turned in the deposits by Dec 14th deadline might have submitted a deposit to hold the seat, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are for sure are all going. Next set of deposit is due within 60 days from the payment of the 1st deposit (which is around Jan-Feb-March).

Which means - seats can open up in March/April if those students decide not to submit their 2nd deposit and decide to go to a different school. Of course the school will accept more students to compensate for this, but there is still full 3-4 months left of the interview season, and things can change! So, don't lose hope.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
do most DO schools do multiple deposits?

Small sample size but i wouldnt be surprised if most of the waiting list people have stats that are above the school's average (especially with both mcat/gpa factored in).
Makes it much more likely that the decision was based off of the non-academic aspects of the application + the interview.

Good luck to all the waitlisters! Maybe send an update letter if you can?

Waitlisted. Interviewed 11/18. Seems like they are done offering acceptances (at least to SDN members) which makes me wonder why they would interview so many of us with so few remaining seats

Is there a breakdown of costs somewhere for this school? I found the financial aid website but I am confused as to what is actually included in the costs when we apply for loans and etc.

Waitlisted. Interviewed 11/18. Seems like they are done offering acceptances (at least to SDN members) which makes me wonder why they would interview so many of us with so few remaining seats
I dont think they have few remaining seats. They are trying to make sure they will ahve enough for those that will be interviewing throughout the new year until April. So, they probably gave got more deposits than expected from the first batch of acceptances and not we have to suffer and wait it out. Those that paid deposits will not all go to this school so expect movement closer to march

Waitlisted. I really hope there is lots of movement because this is by far my favorite school.

I dont think they have few remaining seats. They are trying to make sure they will ahve enough for those that will be interviewing throughout the new year until April. So, they probably gave got more deposits than expected from the first batch of acceptances and not we have to suffer and wait it out. Those that paid deposits will not all go to this school so expect movement closer to march

After doing some research, I found out that last year (and in previous years) they have had an ASA list which is essentially a glorified waitlist. If applicants were placed on this list, they were guaranteed a spot in the following years' class if they were not offered a seat that year.

This is frustrating because it once again leaves us, the applicant, in a much less than favorable spot. If you are on this ASA list, you are essentially in limbo for 2 years of your life-but at least you know that eventually you will be going to med school. What I find truly demoralizing is how this affects the following years applicants. We all worked our tails off to get to this point and now we are essentially all competing for an extremely limited number of spots as what looks to be about a third of the class was filled from this ASA list. This practice gives the school even more power, as they can wait for the most qualified applicants while anyone with a less than perfect file is essentially told "thanks but no thanks"

After doing some research, I found out that last year (and in previous years) they have had an ASA list which is essentially a glorified waitlist. If applicants were placed on this list, they were guaranteed a spot in the following years' class if they were not offered a seat that year.

This is frustrating because it once again leaves us, the applicant, in a much less than favorable spot. If you are on this ASA list, you are essentially in limbo for 2 years of your life-but at least you know that eventually you will be going to med school. What I find truly demoralizing is how this affects the following years applicants. We all worked our tails off to get to this point and now we are essentially all competing for an extremely limited number of spots as what looks to be about a third of the class was filled from this ASA list. This practice gives the school even more power, as they can wait for the most qualified applicants while anyone with a less than perfect file is essentially told "thanks but no thanks"
how do we waitlitees know whethere we are on this list and when do we know?

you know when you do poorly on a test, and you feel horrible, but then you find out everyone did poorly and you feel much better? that's how I feel about this waitlist hahah

Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone get an email titled "new decision letter" and have it be the exact same letter they sent on Tuesday?

How is this any different from schools that have linkage agreements? When applying to medical schools, did you think it was going to be an easy process? I'm in the same boat, so I'm not throwing stones, but just giving some perspective.

Did anyone get accepted from the November/December interviews?? I am an in-stater, MCAT 30 GPA >3.7, a lot of EC's and research---wait listed. This was a top choice school for me and I felt great about my interview..

Reactions: 1 users
Waitlisted also! Interviewed 12/2. Pretty sure they do still do the ASA list (one of the first-year students who sat with us on my interview day had been accepted from it). Does anyone know how they decide who is on that list? I'm wondering if you get on it immediately after interviewing or from the "regular" waitlist. Thanks!

Accepted today! Interviewed October 16th. OOS.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm interviewing Jan 22, anyone down to meet up? I'll probably get a hotel the night before.
Hey where are you coming from? I'm also interviewing on the 22nd. Am thinking of getting there on the 21st, flying to Portland international. Wouldn't mind sharing a hotel if you are a girl.

Hey where are you coming from? I'm also interviewing on the 22nd. Am thinking of getting there on the 21st, flying to Portland international. Wouldn't mind sharing a hotel if you are a girl.
where are you guys staying at? im thinking of staying at the Ramada Inn cause they have the airport and school shuttle.

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!! Interviewed 11/11, OOS but strong Maine/N.E. ties :soexcited:

Reactions: 3 users
Can anyone please explain what is the interview format? What does it mean when they say your interview is between 1-4pm? Does it mean that there will be many mini interviews going from 1 until 4pm? or that it just could be anytime with the admissions officer(s). Do you guys think it will be okay to catch a 5pm flight?

Can anyone please explain what is the interview format? What does it mean when they say your interview is between 1-4pm? Does it mean that there will be many mini interviews going from 1 until 4pm? or that it just could be anytime with the admissions officer(s). Do you guys think it will be okay to catch a 5pm flight?

So they have less interviewers compared to the number of interviewees. Which means, depending on how many groups of interviewers there are (it can be 2 or 3 interviewers in the room with you) they will call you one by one between that blocked time for interview. The actual interview is only about half an hour. But you won't know how early you will be called for interview during that time. You can use rest of the time to talk to other students or if you need to leave early after the tour, information session, and interview, you can. But I think 5pm flight might be a little too tight considering the airport is about 30 min from the campus and you want to get there at least 1.5 hours early.

You'll only have one 30-45 minute interview, it could be any time between 1-4 pm, but you won't find out until you get there. For my session, the interview order was determined by alphabetical last name (A's first). While you wait, you can tour the school or sit and talk with current students and your fellow interviewees. You could theoretically be out before 3 pm to catch at 5 pm flight, but I wouldn't count on it. You don't need to add stress about catching a flight when you'll already be stressed for your interview. Good luck!

I take it I'm not special and the only one who received a Thanksgiving and another recent Happy Holiday from UNECOM reminding me to finish my application?

Yep...it's awkward getting that message today, after not hearing back from emails and being on pre-interview hold.

I'm a guy actually, driving from NYC. We can still meet up and explore what the area is like/has to offer.

I take it I'm not special and the only one who received a Thanksgiving and another recent Happy Holiday from UNECOM reminding me to finish my application?

Yep...it's awkward getting that message today, after not hearing back from emails and being on pre-interview hold.

Yup, received the same email as well.

I got the same email, but instead of reminding me to finish my app they said they'd "love to see me as part of the campus and they know I've heard from admissions about my completed application, happy holidays to me, and they will be in contact." Seemed like a positive email? I mean I haven't even heard if I'm on pre interview hold or not from them yet?