University of Tennessee c/o 2023 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If our interview is at 9 on Friday, are we expected to go to the information session at 8am and stay at the session for only 30 minutes because I would like to have some knowledge about the interview process before my interview?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I just received a call for an OOS interview for this Friday, that's incredibly short notice. Do you think they will add more interview dates? I don't think I'll find a flight in 4 days.

Reactions: 1 users
I just received a call for an OOS interview for this Friday, that's incredibly short notice. Do you think they will add more interview dates? I don't think I'll find a flight in 4 days.

They sent out a reminder email this morning to all interviewees and asked people to respond if they have decided to cancel. I don’t think any more dates will be added unfortunately. Where are you flying from? You could try to fly into Nashville and drive the rest of the way. It may be cheaper...

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if there was an interview waitlist they didn't notify us about.

Reactions: 2 users
If our interview is at 9 on Friday, are we expected to go to the information session at 8am and stay at the session for only 30 minutes because I would like to have some knowledge about the interview process before my interview?

I interviewed as an IS applicant in October and my advice would be to go to an information session later in the day, assuming they have more than one. I wouldn't say the session was "formal" but it was definitely important and I think you could potentially feel awkward getting up and leaving halfway through. It wasn't suuuuper long though so maybe you wouldn't have to leave early..... just looking back I think I would've felt awkward leaving if that had become necessary. Just giving you some insight as to what it's like :) congrats on getting an interview!!

*Edit* if you want to know what they tell you in the info session regarding the interview, feel free to message me! I think some people have posted some of the info in this thread too.

I would say it would be better to go to one of the later sessions, though you can ask when you get there if the early session will be over in time for your interview. If you have any questions feel free to ask, I'm a current 3rd year and have helped with interviews multiple times as well. I'll actually be there, likely giving tours, on Friday and Saturday,

If we have not received any information since applying, do we assume we're out?

If we have not received any information since applying, do we assume we're out?

I just called and they said “they are still reviewing my packet but they arent adding interview dates...? So...they will finish reviewing me at the end of the month but they arent...adding...interviews...?”

Reactions: 4 users
Hi, I got an OOS interview invite! While I'm happy to hear I am competitive, they assigned me to interview this Saturday, January 19th (an original interview date iirc). I'm coming from California so this obviously isn't a reasonable expectation. I am going to ask if there are later interview dates being added...

Edit: I'm guessing from this thread that there was an interview waitlist...?

Last edited:

Did you hear back from them?

Hi, I got an OOS interview invite! While I'm happy to hear I am competitive, they assigned me to interview this Saturday, January 19th (an original interview date iirc). I'm coming from California so this obviously isn't a reasonable expectation. I am going to ask if there are later interview dates being added...

Edit: I'm guessing from this thread that there was an interview waitlist...?

OOS interview invite as well! They did offer me a Skype interview as an option, however, I will be making the trip.

Reactions: 1 user
OOS interview invite as well! They did offer me a Skype interview as an option, however, I will be making the trip.

Congratulations! Did they email you or call you? I know some people have gotten emails others have gotten direct phone calls!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you ask for a skype interview specifically?
I explained how I was unsure if I was going to be able to find someone to cover my shift at work due to the late notice, so they offered to Skype for the interview.

I still haven’t heard anything from them....

OOS invite to interview yesterday at around 5:20 ish. I opted for the Skype interview because of the weather coming in this weekend. Does anyone know how their interviews are formatted or what kind of questions they will ask? Will they be behavioral interview questions?

OOS invite to interview yesterday at around 5:20 ish. I opted for the Skype interview because of the weather coming in this weekend. Does anyone know how their interviews are formatted or what kind of questions they will ask? Will they be behavioral interview questions?
It's a pretty casual/conversational interview. They're trying to get to know you. They'll probably ask about your experiences, interests, what brought you to vet med. They asked about my hobbies, what unique qualities I thought I could bring to my class, how I would handle working with farm animals and horses for the first time (I came in with no large animal experience). They also asked about my opinion on the role of the human-animal bond, so I'd expect a question or two along those lines too, your opinion on something vet med related. Granted I interviewed almost 4 years ago but I don't think they've changed it much.

Hey! I just got a call from them. They offered me an interview for this Saturday and realized it was unreasonable to ask for me to travel there with such short notice, so they gave me a Skype interview. I accepted, but was kind of surprised just at how last minute it was...

I also got a call from them this morning around 11:30. They offered me an interview for Friday. I am OOS in Ohio so they offered me a ZOOM interview. I accepted as well, and was also surprised at how soon it was. Not complaining though!

Congrats to all you OOSers who have upcoming interviews. Once you guys are done we’ll only be 4-5 weeks away from admission notifications!!

I just replied to their email asking if a skype interview was a possibility.

How many OOS seats do they typically offer?

I am not able to attend the information session before my interview so I had some questions. Are the interviews 30 or 45 minutes? Are they one on one or a panel of three people? Also, are they open file?

I am not able to attend the information session before my interview so I had some questions. Are the interviews 30 or 45 minutes? Are they one on one or a panel of three people? Also, are they open file?

I think they typically aim for 30
Panel of three people, usually two vets (often at least one is faculty at the school but it depends on your team) and a 4th year student
They at least used to be partially open - they would have your experiences and personal statement but nothing else. Not sure if that's still true or not.

I think they typically aim for 30
Panel of three people, usually two vets (often at least one is faculty at the school but it depends on your team) and a 4th year student
They at least used to be partially open - they would have your experiences and personal statement but nothing else. Not sure if that's still true or not.
When I received my invitation to interview, they said that it would be open file, but only with my work experiences, research, essays, etc. and that no grades would be in front of them.

Does anyone know where to send fall 2018 transcripts?

Does anyone know when we should start hearing about admissions decisions? Just finished my interview about an hour ago also!

Do you know about how long the tours are and when they will be offered? Thanks!

Usually about an hour and they run through out the day. We have multiple people giving tours so it kind of just depends on when we can get a group together (preferably 10 people or less). There is almost always a tour right after each info session, otherwise the times vary.

Do acceptances typically get sent via email or regular mail? I noticed on the website that it says “admissions decisions mailed” in February

Do acceptances typically get sent via email or regular mail? I noticed on the website that it says “admissions decisions mailed” in February

They mentioned both during the interview, I believe.

I'm so confused...I'm a second time applicant that interviewed and was waitlisted last year, had my follow up call with the admissions director, and this year I haven't heard anything from them about being interviewed... I'm pretty discouraged because I did everything they suggested I improve on, and I assumed being on the waitlist last year would guarantee me an interview this year to show them the areas I've improved on. But reading about them not adding any interview dates, I'm wondering if this means I'm not getting an interview this year. Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm OOS.

I'm so confused...I'm a second time applicant that interviewed and was waitlisted last year, had my follow up call with the admissions director, and this year I haven't heard anything from them about being interviewed... I'm pretty discouraged because I did everything they suggested I improve on, and I assumed being on the waitlist last year would guarantee me an interview this year to show them the areas I've improved on. But reading about them not adding any interview dates, I'm wondering if this means I'm not getting an interview this year. Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm OOS.
Did you write a disadvantaged statement?

No, I didn't write a disadvantaged statement
I thought those were the only applications they still has to look at but I could definitely be wrong about that. I did hear something about more Skype/Zoom interview happening.

I thought those were the only applications they still has to look at but I could definitely be wrong about that. I did hear something about more Skype/Zoom interview happening.

I also didn’t write a disadvantaged statement and haven’t heard anything!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN