University of Tennessee c/o 2023 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meelc

UC Davis c/o 2024
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen a thread yet for UTK 2023 applicants. I applied OOS! Who else applied this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I haven't seen a thread yet for UTK 2023 applicants. I applied OOS! Who else applied this year?
I did! Have you heard anything from them at all? I sent an email a while back about what biochem was required and haven’t heard a thing.

I have not! All I've gotten from them was a confirmation that I submitted the supplemental back in August

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not! All I've gotten from them was a confirmation that I submitted the supplemental back in August
Yep, same here! I wanted to email them again but I also don’t want to pester.

Hi guys! I'm a current third year student and am happy to answer any questions. I was OOS when I applied.

The IS students already had their interviews, I imagine they are reviewing OOS applications now. From what I've heard that timeline is staying the same as it was in previous years. Usually invites in December for interviews in January. Some rejections were received in mid to late November last year.

Reactions: 1 users
I did! Have you heard anything from them at all? I sent an email a while back about what biochem was required and haven’t heard a thing.
I would either email again, or call. As a general rule of thumb if I don't hear back from someone in 48 hours I send another email...chances are your first one has gotten buried by then!

Hi! I applied IS and already interviewed; just waiting for February!

If you’re having trouble getting ahold of Deborah it’s better to call her. She gets tons of emails and phone is much easier for her.

Good luck to everyone.

Reactions: 1 user
I would either email again, or call. As a general rule of thumb if I don't hear back from someone in 48 hours I send another email...chances are your first one has gotten buried by then!
Yeah I think I will. Thank you for the info on the timeline for OOS!

Applied OOS! Hope to hear soon!

OOS- Just got an invite for 1/18! Hope to see ya'll there!

Wow, congrats!!! Invites are going out way sooner than I was expecting. Would either of you be willing to share your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure!

GPA: 3.75
Last 45 GPA: 3.83
Science: Around a 3.7 ish

GRE: 162 Q/ 158 V

If you have any questions feel free to ask lol!

Sure!

GPA: 3.75
Last 45 GPA: 3.83
Science: Around a 3.7 ish

GRE: 162 Q/ 158 V

If you have any questions feel free to ask lol!
Congrats! Do you mind sharing what state you're a resident of?

So does anyone know if that’s it for interview offers or if they’re not sending them all at once? This is my first cycle applying so I’m not entirely sure of how the system works. Congrats to everyone that has gotten interviews!

So does anyone know if that’s it for interview offers or if they’re not sending them all at once? This is my first cycle applying so I’m not entirely sure of how the system works. Congrats to everyone that has gotten interviews!

I'm not 100% sure since this is my first time applying as well!!

They definitely seem to be doing it differently this year, however, since the last two years they haven't sent out invites until mid-December (according to previous threads)...last year they sent out a bunch of OOS rejections at the end of November before they even sent out interview invites. It does still say though for the timeline on their website that invites this year are supposed to go out mid-December Timetable and Deadlines

OOS applicant and just received an interview invite this morning for 1/19 and I'm super excited!

Hey everyone! I'm an OOS applicant and I just received my interview invite this morning for 1/19!

OOS PA resident, just got my interview request yesterday! I’m thrilled as this is probably my top choice school!

OOS PA resident, just got my interview request yesterday! I’m thrilled as this is probably my top choice school!
I also applied here OOS but haven't heard anything yet. If you don't mind me asking what your statistics are? They are probably sending interview invites to their top choices earliest so congrats!!

I also applied here OOS but haven't heard anything yet. If you don't mind me asking what your statistics are? They are probably sending interview invites to their top choices earliest so congrats!!
I don’t recall off the top of my head, but my GPA is somewhere around the 3.7-3.8 mark, and my GRE reading comp was maybe 167, quantitative 154? I’m really tired right now so I’d have to check to be sure. I also had a fair amount of experience shadowing in small animal and equine practice.

I don’t recall off the top of my head, but my GPA is somewhere around the 3.7-3.8 mark, and my GRE reading comp was maybe 167, quantitative 154? I’m really tired right now so I’d have to check to be sure. I also had a fair amount of experience shadowing in small animal and equine practice.
Thanks!

Sooo any OOS applicants here feeling a tiny bit nervous bc they haven't gotten any emails/invites/interviews yet? UT website still says mid December, but the fact that other OOS applicants have gotten interviews already kinda concerns me...

Reactions: 6 users
Sooo any OOS applicants here feeling a tiny bit nervous bc they haven't gotten any emails/invites/interviews yet? UT website still says mid December, but the fact that other OOS applicants have gotten interviews already kinda concerns me...
I feel ya. Cause so far my stats are about the same as everyone else’s. I’m just confused as to why they’re sending them out over a period of a few days.

I feel ya. Cause so far my stats are about the same as everyone else’s. I’m just confused as to why they’re sending them out over a period of a few days.
Same! I'm just confused like is there a batch going out now, but then the rest of us hear in December? Maybe they like torturing us??

Same! I'm just confused like is there a batch going out now, but then the rest of us hear in December? Maybe they like torturing us??

Ha I hope that’s what it is! Looking at others stats, I’m so confused as to why they pull who when. It’s all over the place from what I can tell.

I am! I interviewed at RVC this past weekend but was pretty hopeful I’d hear something from UT. Really nervous....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I don't know anything for sure, but my theory is that they are inviting people as they decide, and not in any particular order - I highly doubt the order in which you receive an invitation has anything to do with anything other than the order in which they are reviewing applications. I can't really say whether they'll get all the invites out now/in the next few days or if they'll continue to review and send more out in December. I imagine if we start to get closer to Thanksgiving, if everyone hasn't heard one way or the other yet, the remaining notifications will probably happen closer to the end of the month/beginning of next month.

Also keep in mind every school looks at applications differently. For UTK, while your hard stats are part of the evaluation, they also do a holistic packet review while deciding who to invite for interviews.

Reactions: 3 users
Do they only have one interview date?

Do they only have one interview date?

While those who have already been offered interviews have been invited for January 18th and 19th, they have listed on their website that OOS interviews this cycle are January 17th and 18th of 2019 (I double checked it said 2019 and not 2018). Not sure if they actually will have 3 interview dates or if what is on their website is misinformation.

Timetable and Deadlines

While those who have already been offered interviews have been invited for January 18th and 19th, they have listed on their website that OOS interviews this cycle are January 17th and 18th of 2019 (I double checked it said 2019 and not 2018). Not sure if they actually will have 3 interview dates or if what is on their website is misinformation.

Timetable and Deadlines
Probably a mixup on the website. We were told the 18th and 19th as well for helping with interviews.

Has anyone heard about an interview invite since this past Wednesday? Or waitlist/rejected?

I am an out of state applicant from Texas. I received an invite to interview on November 13th for January 18th. I have applied to multiple schools, but Tennessee is the only school I have heard back from.

Does UTK require Biochemistry 1&2? Online it says only 4 semester hours are required for biochem, but that is exclusive of lab. It also says "Half of a two-semester sequence will not satisfy this requirement". I applied to multiple vet schools and not one required Biochem 2. I saw hiellen emailed UTK earlier this month about biochem and I was wondering if she had the same question I did.

Does UTK require Biochemistry 1&2? Online it says only 4 semester hours are required for biochem, but that is exclusive of lab. It also says "Half of a two-semester sequence will not satisfy this requirement". I applied to multiple vet schools and not one required Biochem 2. I saw hiellen emailed UTK earlier this month about biochem and I was wondering if she had the same question I did.
Contact the school. They will tell you exactly what is required and if whatever class you took works.
Likely that means that if it’s split like Biochem 1A and Biochem 1B you can’t just take one and call it good, but the school’s admissions office is the best source for an official answer.

I would still call to confirm, but unless they've changed the requirements you only need Biochem 1.

My school has biochem broken into two 3 credit classes; I don’t have time for that. Next semester I’ll be taking UNE’s online biochem which is the needed 4 credits. That class is UT approved and if you call, Deborah can probably give you a list of other approved options. UT themselves also has a 4 credit online class but it looks like it’s only available in the summer.

So, I had sent an email to admissions to confirm all of my materials a couple weeks back (right before the first interview invites went out) and I just received a response this morning saying that everything was received and to let them know if I have any other questions. I'm pretty sure this means they haven't finished sending out invites (my opinion...I could be wrong) because if they had sent out all invites already it would have made more sense for them to respond to my email with a rejection or just not at all. This gave me a little more hope so I figured I would pass it along!

Reactions: 2 users