UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Applied 12/16/17; Still waiting...
Might have gotten lost in the pile.
Email/call them next week and check up.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, got accepted last week. I checked FB group there was only like 12 peoples excluding myself.

My app was completed in Jan.

BTW, have anyone heard of this thing call Med Sci Bible?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, got accepted last week. I checked FB group there was only like 12 peoples excluding myself.

Congratulations:) Are you a pre-dental?

Any Pre-dentals here that got accepted or still waiting?

The Facebook group has 48 members. I heard about the bible from previous years' threads. Maybe some of the current students can comment on that further.

I completed Feb and heard back already. My theory is those with stellar stats are picked out first and then they deliberate more on those who need more help. So it might take a little longer to hear back.

I completed Feb and heard back already. My theory is those with stellar stats are picked out first and then they deliberate more on those who need more help. So it might take a little longer to hear back.
When did you submit your app? I submitted mine Feb 6. Haven't heard anything yet.

Like I said before I talked directly to admissions about one month ago regarding the program and my application. She said that when the admissions team looks at applications they put them in three piles: accept, deny or waitlist. The first two are obvious however, if you are still waiting and you applied early you might be in the wait pile. The admissions rep also told me that if you are in the wait pile another committee will review your application in detail and then a decision will be made. Those who have really strong stats will hear back quickly and not need to go to the second group. Those that are borderline will have to wait for further review. I have confirmed that my application was one of the ones in the first couple of batches but a decision has not been made yet for me. This isn't surprising given my stats, I fit in the "maybe" group. Many current and past med sci students have applied in early January and February and heard back as late as April, don't take my word for it look at previous threads. Deadline to apply to this program ends in 5 days! Don't lose hope...

Members don't see this ad :)

The Facebook group has 48 members. I heard about the bible from previous years' threads. Maybe some of the current students can comment on that further.

The bible will be given to you by your orientation leaders. It is an amalgamation of files for study tips/tricks, notes, past lectures, etc.
You'll get it sometime during the summer semester during biostats, if I'm remembering correctly.

I don't mean to blow everyone away with questions here but I can't find recent information for any of these questions. Could anyone who's currently or has completed the MS in MedSci please answer:
1. Are there any stats yet as to how many med school (or DO school) applicants have been accepted from this cycle or last year's cycle?
2. Any stats on how many from the program have been accepted into TCOM?
3. When the UNT TCU med school opens for applications (next year I think they begin accepting applications?) will the MS program function as a linkage in any way?
4. (more specific to my own application) Do the advisors recommend retaking a low subsection score? Sitting on a 510 (128/123/129/130). Already got feedback on WAMC but wondering what an advisor would suggest about my CARS section and as a non-trad I don't have access to any advisors.

I don't mean to blow everyone away with questions here but I can't find recent information for any of these questions. Could anyone who's currently or has completed the MS in MedSci please answer:
1. Are there any stats yet as to how many med school (or DO school) applicants have been accepted from this cycle or last year's cycle?
2. Any stats on how many from the program have been accepted into TCOM?
3. When the UNT TCU med school opens for applications (next year I think they begin accepting applications?) will the MS program function as a linkage in any way?
4. (more specific to my own application) Do the advisors recommend retaking a low subsection score? Sitting on a 510 (128/123/129/130). Already got feedback on WAMC but wondering what an advisor would suggest about my CARS section and as a non-trad I don't have access to any advisors.

(1/2) I don't know exact numbers. Anecdotally, a pretty significant number have been accepted (both from this year's current MedSci and last year's who took a gap year). There's a skew to DO acceptances (which shouldn't come as a surprise), but I've heard of plenty of MD acceptances.
(3) The MS program doesn't have official "linkage" (assuming you mean that getting some arbitrary GPA in this program guarantees an interview/acceptance) to any program - that includes TCOM. However, we are very favorably looked upon, as a good portion of our curriculum mimics that of the actual MS1's.
(4) I'm assuming, based on the order, that the 123 is due to CARS. It may not be looked at favorably unless you're not a native speaker. Regardless of whether or not you get into the program, I believe you may be able to email the administration for a file review and get an advisor's opinion.

(1/2) I don't know exact numbers. Anecdotally, a pretty significant number have been accepted (both from this year's current MedSci and last year's who took a gap year). There's a skew to DO acceptances (which shouldn't come as a surprise), but I've heard of plenty of MD acceptances.
(3) The MS program doesn't have official "linkage" (assuming you mean that getting some arbitrary GPA in this program guarantees an interview/acceptance) to any program - that includes TCOM. However, we are very favorably looked upon, as a good portion of our curriculum mimics that of the actual MS1's.
(4) I'm assuming, based on the order, that the 123 is due to CARS. It may not be looked at favorably unless you're not a native speaker. Regardless of whether or not you get into the program, I believe you may be able to email the administration for a file review and get an advisor's opinion.

Thanks @Aurarice I appreciate the feedback. Can you clarify what “may not be looked at favorably unless you’re not...” means please? I’m assuming the triple negative means it is more unfavorable if I’m a native speaker (which I am, the score is a fluke considering my avg FL was a 127). What website did you find that at? Just want to gauge if I should start studying again now for a June mcat.

Hey guys, I was recently accepted in the program as well. I wanted to make a groupme account with everyone accepted and those who are still in the process. I think it will be a great way to navigate around this process. Message me so i can add you.
Hey I got accepted into the program as well. Can you add me to the group?

Thanks @Aurarice I appreciate the feedback. Can you clarify what “may not be looked at favorably unless you’re not...” means please? I’m assuming the triple negative means it is more unfavorable if I’m a native speaker (which I am, the score is a fluke considering my avg FL was a 127). What website did you find that at? Just want to gauge if I should start studying again now for a June mcat.

It would reflect poorly, but that's just based on what I've seen on the forums before. If you got feedback from some of the adcoms on the site (Eg. Goro), go with what they say.
A 510 certainly isn't a score to scoff at, though. If you're applying for this program, I doubt that it's exclusively your MCAT that's holding you back.

Application complete 2/15/2017. No news yet. The UNTHSC GSBS admissions office told me that the committee meets once a week to review applicants. The admissions office said that the average for matriculants (not applicants, but people who are admitted and attending) are GPA 3.3 and MCAT 501.

To me, it looks like stellar applicants find out in 2-3 weeks. Also, anyone who doesn't know anything yet is because they are waiting for more applicants to roll in so they can compare more people together. Also, they are waiting to see how many people drop out of the program to attend MD/DO/Dental School from their respective wait-lists. And wait-lists for MD/DO schools go on until the first week of that school's orientation.

Also, from what I understand from looking around, there's about 210-220 students in each class at UNTHSC.
I spoke directly with the assistant dean of admissions of TCOM and she said that "like 20 students" are taken from the concurrent class into TCOM immediately following MedSci.

And along with those like 20 students from the concurrent class, like 20-ish students from the previous year (they took a gap year or was not accepted anywhere) are accepted into TCOM, making like 50 graduates from MedSci entering into TCOM.

These are just observations from talking to admissions committee of TCOM and UNTHSC GSBS. Also, I looked at past forums. Idk, but this all looks like it is the case. I may be wrong.

Last edited:
Application complete 2/15/2017. No news yet. The UNTHSC GSBS admissions office told me that the committee meets once a week to review applicants. The admissions office said that the average for matriculants (not applicants, but people who are admitted and attending) are GPA 3.3 and MCAT 501.

To me, it looks like stellar applicants find out in 2-3 weeks. Also, anyone who doesn't know anything yet is because they are waiting for more applicants to roll in so they can compare more people together. Also, they are waiting to see how many people drop out of the program to attend MD/DO/Dental School from their respective wait-lists. And wait-lists for MD/DO schools go on until the first week of that school's orientation.

Also, from what I understand from looking around, there's about 210-220 students in each class at UNTHSC.
I spoke directly with the assistant dean of admissions of TCOM and she said that "like 20 students" are taken from the concurrent class into TCOM immediately following MedSci.

And along with those like 20 students from the concurrent class, like 20-ish students from the previous year (they took a gap year or was not accepted anywhere) are accepted into TCOM, making like 50 graduates from MedSci entering into TCOM.

These are just observations from talking to admissions committee of TCOM and UNTHSC GSBS. Also, I looked at past forums. Idk, but this all looks like it is the case. I may be wrong.

This is similar to what I've been told and what I have posted as well. I would just add that they are expanding the M.S. class from 230 to 250. I think it's safe to assume that at this point in the admissions cycle the admissions committee has already accepted many of the top candidates (high GPA and/or High MCAT/DAT). Now I assume that they are reviewing applications that were put on hold (like mine) to see who has the most potential. I believe that this is where essays, lors, ecs, resume, GPA trend really come into play. Application cycle ends in 3 days...

Last edited:
This is similar to what I've been told and what I have posted as well. I would just add that they are expanding the M.S. class from 230 to 250. I think it's safe to assume that at this point in the admissions cycle the admissions committee has already accepted many of the top candidates (high GPA and/or High MCAT/DAT). Now I assume that they are reviewing applications that were put on hold (like mine) to see who has the most potential. I believe that this is where essays, lors, ecs, resume, GPA trend really come into play. Application cycle ends in 3 days...

Oof fitting 250 bodies into one room for exam days would be fun... @hotlikesause

I am very sure that there will be people that have all their supplemental materials turned in by the absolute last day March 15 (I think) though.
I submitted my app on the absolute last day due to a delay in one of my rec letters. Got the email on April 5th regarding acceptance.

Does anyone know if their are recorded lectures for the classes?
No, but most professors are ok with you recording them. (Sound only, no video)
There are a few lecture which are DSA's - uploaded video lectures without an associated class that you can go through at your own pace.

After you’ve submitted your application should you apply for the scholarships from the school or just wait until you’ve been accepted? But the last day to apply for scholarships is today..?

Is anyone still looking for a roommate? I’m a female so preferably another female to share a 2bed/2bath apartment. I’m looking at a budget of $750 max preferably.

Let me know! :)

After you’ve submitted your application should you apply for the scholarships from the school or just wait until you’ve been accepted? But the last day to apply for scholarships is today..?

A good portion of the scholarships are primarily for TCOM students. MedSci are psedu-graduate students, and it's only 1 year, so generally you're not gonna be too lucky. It may be worth checking out, but I haven't personally done it.
Basically everyone is going to qualify for the $20,000 loan, though, so there's that.

Does anyone who is currently in the program is also working? I guess my question is, if it is possible to work while in the program?

Does anyone who is currently in the program is also working? I guess my question is, if it is possible to work while in the program?
Yes; I have a friend who is still working just weekends. I wouldn't say s/he's doing incredibly well, but s/he's not crashing and burning.
Is it possible? Absolutely. Is it recommended? No. Remember - you're in this program because you had some sort of shortcoming in your application. If you decide that you want to work, you risk sinking this lifeline. Doing poorly in the program is a very, very big red flag.

Your mileage may vary.

A good portion of the scholarships are primarily for TCOM students. MedSci are psedu-graduate students, and it's only 1 year, so generally you're not gonna be too lucky. It may be worth checking out, but I haven't personally done it.
Basically everyone is going to qualify for the $20,000 loan, though, so there's that.

Is that $20,000 for the year or per semester?

Do you know if that loan is livable for the entire year in the program?

I was wondering if anyone had a weird message when they tried submitting their application?

I finished my application, and clicked the link for "pay application fee/submit". I submitted my payment (and I received an email that my payment was authorized) and then it brought me to a screen that said "you are not authorized for this page". So I am not sure if my application was actually submitted...... were there anymore steps that needed to be completed after entering in the information to pay the fee??

Thank you! :)

Yes; I have a friend who is still working just weekends. I wouldn't say s/he's doing incredibly well, but s/he's not crashing and burning.
Is it possible? Absolutely. Is it recommended? No. Remember - you're in this program because you had some sort of shortcoming in your application. If you decide that you want to work, you risk sinking this lifeline. Doing poorly in the program is a very, very big red flag.

Your mileage may vary.
I was debating whether to work or not, but I completely 100% agree with you. Thanks:) Where do you apply for the loan?

Is that the only loan option available through the school/financial aid?

Remember - you're in this program because you had some sort of shortcoming in your application. If you decide that you want to work, you risk sinking this lifeline. Doing poorly in the program is a very, very big red flag.

It's so hard to come to terms with how much we, as students, should do outside of school/studying. I know we, as pre-meds, are still expected to shadow physicians, volunteer, and gain research experience in some form (I was definitely hoping to get some experience during the program as a research volunteer or assistant). Also, I know that there are organizations that we can participate in during the master's program and also hold officer positions, is that right?

How did you and your classmates handle extracurricular activities during school considering that the program is hard? Do y'all still shadow and everything?

It's so hard to come to terms with how much we, as students, should do outside of school/studying. I know we, as pre-meds, are still expected to shadow physicians, volunteer, and gain research experience in some form (I was definitely hoping to get some experience during the program as a research volunteer or assistant). Also, I know that there are organizations that we can participate in during the master's program and also hold officer positions, is that right?

How did you and your classmates handle extracurricular activities during school considering that the program is hard? Do y'all still shadow and everything?

You will complete a preceptorship which will allow you to gain some shadowing hours. I personally do a lot of volunteering at a local nursing home here and hold a leadership position in an organization at TCOM and besides that still have some free time to exercise and do other things I like and am still doing quite well in classes. Many TCOM student organizations have MedSci rep positions open to us and you can be a part of pretty much any TCOM organization as a member. There is also MSCSO which is the medical sciences community service organization for which you can run for officer positions. you can also run for curriculum rep positions which basically entails being a liaison between administration and the student body to voice concerns and communicate important information. Lots of possibilities here! You can play it however you want and the key to all of it is having really good time management and discipline.

For those of us that plan on applying to med schools this summer, is it suggested that we wait to submit applications even though TMDSAS opens early in May? Also, is the committee letter (or any other letter) available only after completing the program?

Is that $20,000 for the year or per semester?

Do you know if that loan is livable for the entire year in the program?

Year.
Tuition will be ~$12,000; what you do with the other $8,000 is up to you. I don't know your personal financial situation, so I would have to defer my advice to someone else who is more knowledgable than me.

Is that the only loan option available through the school/financial aid?

I believe so.

For shadowing: There's a required 40-hour preceptorship with a physician that is not an ED doc. I know some others who have continued to shadow other physicians. Personally, I have not, but I plan to during my gap year.
For volunteering/leadership positions/etc: Plenty of opportunities. Just gotta go for them. Even if you fail to obtain a leadership position, it's still possible to get a ton of volunteering in.
Prioritize school. I try to attend multiple volunteering activities on a weekly basis, but if I'm not feeling confident about an upcoming exam, I skip out every once in awhile. For what it's worth, I still have my 4.0, and I don't think I'm too much at risk of losing it.

For those of us that plan on applying to med schools this summer, is it suggested that we wait to submit applications even though TMDSAS opens early in May? Also, is the committee letter (or any other letter) available only after completing the program?

I don't believe UNTHSC has a community letter.
Considering that the program begins in May, TMDSAS will already be open, and other applications will open in June. You will have the opportunity to speak with an advisor regarding your application. It is to your discretion, based on your stats and whether or not you have applied in the past, whether you wish to take advantage of the advising.
Advisers can write you letters early on, but then it falls on you to try and get to know them better early on so they can write a more meaningful letter. I don't know whether it's advisable to try and get all of your letters from the program - try to keep in touch with your past letter writers. (Eg. Undergrad, old bosses, etc)

I was wondering if anyone had a weird message when they tried submitting their application?

I finished my application, and clicked the link for "pay application fee/submit". I submitted my payment (and I received an email that my payment was authorized) and then it brought me to a screen that said "you are not authorized for this page". So I am not sure if my application was actually submitted...... were there anymore steps that needed to be completed after entering in the information to pay the fee??

Thank you! :)

I don't think there were any more steps after that. Call the administration and double check.

When people say the school looks at your "essays", what does it mean? Does it mean the personal statement or supplemental question they ask you in the application?

When people say the school looks at your "essays", what does it mean? Does it mean the personal statement or supplemental question they ask you in the application?

Were we supposed to turn in a separate document for our personal statement? I don't think that's the case. The only thing I did in essay format were the 5 questions on the application, and the admissions committee said that I wasn't missing anything.

TCOM/TMDSAS are a separate entity from the UNTHSC GSBS. And they don't share information with each other regarding applicants. I've never applied to TCOM before, so they don't have my TMDSAS personal statement.

If you're asking about this program in particular, supplemental questions.
When people discuss medical school applications, though, they tend to mean your personal statement.

Were we supposed to turn in a separate document for our personal statement? I don't think that's the case. The only thing I did in essay format were the 5 questions on the application, and the admissions committee said that I wasn't missing anything.

TCOM/TMDSAS are a separate entity from the UNTHSC GSBS. And they don't share information with each other regarding applicants. I've never applied to TCOM before, so they don't have my TMDSAS personal statement.
Bingo.

so they offer a 20k loan, 12k for tuition and you have to manage the other 8k for living expenses including rent etc? or are their additional loans offered by the school?

so they offer a 20k loan, 12k for tuition and you have to manage the other 8k for living expenses including rent etc? or are their additional loans offered by the school?

I personally took out both the regular loan and the Grad PLUS loan to cover living expenses

Congrats to anyone that’s been accepted! I’m a currently a pre-dental in the program. Let me know if y’all have any questions

Congrats to anyone that’s been accepted! I’m a currently a pre-dental in the program. Let me know if y’all have any questions
How many other pre-dentals are currently in the program and what is the minimum undergraduate GPA you've heard that got in the program last year?

Does anyone know the minimum MCAT score? I know the website says 495 but is there anyone with a lower score that got in?

Last edited: