UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to everyone who go accepted!!! I had a few questions regarding others who got accepted into other programs. What made you guys choose this over others or what makes you choose the others over this program. Also has anyone gotten accepted into a "guarantee interview" or "guarantee admissions" from OOS? I have a few acceptance and am trying to weight my options. Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted today. Submitted late. (2/29/20) Complete: 3/14/20

Decided to go with BU MAMS over UNTHSC. Hope one of y'all (if there's a waitlist) gets my spot!

Reactions: 3 users
The biochemistry and molecular biology! I honestly don't know too much about it
Only know what's on the Tulane forum. I said read that and reach out to others first. But either way congrats on having options!

Members don't see this ad :)

Decided to go with BU MAMS over UNTHSC. Hope one of y'all (if there's a waitlist) gets my spot!
Is that Boston? Wow that is a long ways...are you from Texas? Can you tell me why you chose that school. I am trying to choose between a few schools also.

Congrats to everyone who go accepted!!! I had a few questions regarding others who got accepted into other programs. What made you guys choose this over others or what makes you choose the others over this program. Also has anyone gotten accepted into a "guarantee interview" or "guarantee admissions" from OOS? I have a few acceptance and am trying to weight my options. Thanks guys!

What made me choose BU MAMS over UNTHSC was prestige, heritage of getting their students into competitive medical schools, and quality of research. BU's prestige is important to me because it is a characteristic that will not only help me get into TX medical schools (TX resident), but will also provide opportunities for me in the northeast. Furthermore, I believe UNTHSC med sci will only benefit me in terms of applying to TX medical schools whom are familiar with the institution's output. Additionally, as an employee at UNTHSC, I understand that I desire to conduct research at a higher level than what is currently offered to me at the institution. With that being said, this statement is not meant to degrade the quality of research at unthsc. In fact, UNTHSC is an outstanding research institution and will provide the foundation for those who want to grow as physician scientists.

Is that Boston? Wow that is a long ways...are you from Texas? Can you tell me why you chose that school. I am trying to choose between a few schools also.
Feel free to DM me!

Last edited:
Hey guys, hope everyone is staying safe. I got into the GSBS program, and the summer is transitioning to online classes. Do ya'll think that fall could also be online due to the pandemic?

Congrats. BU is definitely one of the top post bacc programs, Tufts and Georgetown are a couple others that come to mind. Completely agree on your evaluation of BU vs UNTHSC. Hope things work out for you there.

Think depends on where acceptances were to. Also "guarantees" are usually only top of class at most. I'd read through any post for the schools you got accepted to and see what impression you get. I only applied to UNTHSC because of the academic fresh start that TX offers. If I didn't get in I'd apply to other schools, but I know my best bet to get in to med school is TX and the ASF. It also helps that the price is reasonable, $15k I think vs $50k for most others. Ultimately I just want to get in to an accredited US med school. Once there you have to do what's needed to be competitive to get in to a desired residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!! I have not heard anything yet :(
May I ask when you submitted and were considered complete? I submitted 01/08 and have been considered complete since 01/15. My status in the portal has been complete since then. I emailed them last week and they said my application had been processed and prepared for review.

May I ask when you submitted and were considered complete? I submitted 01/08 and have been considered complete since 01/15. My status in the portal has been complete since then. I emailed them last week and they said my application had been processed and prepared for review.
I submitted late (3/1) and sent everything by mid-march but they did not receive my last LOR until the end of March. My application portal still says incomplete but I do not have any task left. I sent them an email asking about my status and they said my application is complete and under review already. Hoping to hear back soon.

Does anyone know if we applied for the cohort option, do we also apply to the online option as a backup?

My app still says "complete" and it said that since 2/25. I called them just now and it went straight to voice mail.
Should I email them to make sure everything is okay with my app?

Mine never went to "under review" and stayed "complete" until I heard back yesterday. You're fine! Just sit back and distract yourself till you hear back from them! Good luck!!

Reactions: 3 users
I got the email saying I was accepted today at 1pm! I’m shaking right now.

I submitted at the end of February, but wasn’t marked complete until around April 5 or so because of a mix-up with one of my old transcripts.

Here are my stats, if anyone wants to know:
cGPA: ~3.1
sGPA: ~2.9
Post-bacc GPA: ~3.9 in 70ish hours
MCAT: 518

Congratulations to the other accepted folks, I’ll see you in the fall!

Reactions: 6 users
I got the email saying I was accepted today at 1pm! I’m shaking right now.

I submitted at the end of February, but wasn’t marked complete until around April 5 or so because of a mix-up with one of my old transcripts.

Here are my stats, if anyone wants to know:
cGPA: ~3.1
sGPA: ~2.9
Post-bacc GPA: ~3.9 in 70ish hours
MCAT: 518

Congratulations to the other accepted folks, I’ll see you in the fall!
Congrats!!! What post-bac did you do before this?

Congrats!!! What post-bac did you do before this?

I had a few years of miserable grades at one of the bigger state universities, so after I graduated I took one year off and then did an informal post-bacc at a sister school. Five semesters, almost entirely upper-division bio. Ended up getting a second bachelors out of it

I got accepted! I have to choose b/w Barrys or UNT. I'm not sure.

Reactions: 4 users
Also accepted at 1PM today! I’ve been lurking on this thread and made an SDN account in order to share with Y’all.

Application submitted 2/27
Application complete 3/17
Changed to “under review” 4/10

cGPA 3.66
MCAT 505

Congratulations to those accepted and good luck to everyone! Hang in there!
congrats!! What will the class size be? Do you know?

congrats!! What will the class size be? Do you know?
In our zoom meeting last week we were told they expected to seat 250 in this year’s class.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got accepted!!!!! Email came in five mins ago

GPA: 2.51
MCAT: 511

I know the GPA is terrible, like I said I'm working on getting the academic fresh start applied to my GPA which raises it to 3.29. Also I think I have lots of ECs (AD military five years, reserves past five, did medical job in the military, countless patient hours due to that being my full time job). I'm excited to meet everyone in the fall!!!!

Congrats man! I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you were a Navy corpsman? We had one on my class, an Army green beret medic, and a couple Marines. Any plans on going back in when you start med school? By the time you finish residency and do your pay back time I'm sure you'd hit 20. Sounds like you're already at 11.

Did anyone else's application disappear completely? My status has been 'application under review' since Jan. and now the application is gone from my portal as of 30min ago. Haven't received an email

Did anyone else's application disappear completely? My status has been 'application under review' since Jan. and now the application is gone from my portal as of 30min ago. Haven't received an email

Same, mine was “complete” and now it says “no application data found.”

Congrats man! I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you were a Navy corpsman? We had one on my class, an Army green beret medic, and a couple Marines. Any plans on going back in when you start med school? By the time you finish residency and do your pay back time I'm sure you'd hit 20. Sounds like you're already at 11.
Yup Navy Corpsman. I think I'm gonna do the reserve route if I do go back in. Not really interested in the constant moving with the change of duty stations. But I've learned to never completely disregard a path and keep it as an option.

Accepted at 1pm today! I'm relieved because I was rejected from all Texas dental schools and A&M's Post Bac Program this cycle. My GPA, shadowing and volunteering hours really hindered me to getting in those programs. Hopefully with this, I can bump up my stats and get accepted when i reapply.

Submitted: 2/28
Completed: 3/12
Under Review: 4/9
Accepted: 4/16

Reactions: 9 users
Hey guys! Does anyone know if the financial aid/loan package is enough (especially for personal expenses like rent, etc) or would students need to somehow apply for more loans outside of the one offered.

What is the loan package you are referring to? I had more than enough to live off of using the federal loans I applied for through the school. If you end up needing more during the year for school apps, interviews, etc. you can always request more.

What is the loan package you are referring to? I had more than enough to live off of using the federal loans I applied for through the school. If you end up needing more during the year for school apps, interviews, etc. you can always request more.
That's good to know! thank you. I was referring to the Direct Stafford Loan offered by FAFSA.

Does anyone know what the work load is like in the summer? I work as a PCT twice a week and was wondering if it would be reasonable to continue working or if I should quit before classes start?

Does anyone know what the work load is like in the summer? I work as a PCT twice a week and was wondering if it would be reasonable to continue working or if I should quit before classes start?

I'd also like to know about this. My ER scribe job has had a lot of free time lately, which I could easily put to use studying if it's feasible. I'm exempt from the MCAT prep course and I probably won't be taking the optional pass/fail Intro Biochem.

My case is very different from all applicants. I am a foreign medical graduate, I have a MD degree. Just trying to get a medical residency here in US and I think doing this 1 year online master in medical sciences from UNTHSC will strengthen my probability of obtaining a medical residency. I have also a 1-year clinical internship here in US. Just wondering if I already have my MD degree, have to submit GRE or MCAT or those prerequisite courses such as chemistry, biology, physics, etc. Thanks

Is anyone that has been accepted already looking for housing/roommates in Fort Worth for the fall/spring semesters? (assuming it will be in person lol)

There's an MCAT class that's both in-person and online. Some people are exempt from it. There's also a summer biostatistics course that (at least for my class) was all online. It's possible to work over the summer, but honestly I would just advise pulling out some extra loans and focusing on class and studying for the MCAT if you have to retake it. If you don't have to retake the MCAT though you should have enough time to work some hours during the weeks of the summer.

My case is very different from all applicants. I am a foreign medical graduate, I have a MD degree. Just trying to get a medical residency here in US and I think doing this 1 year online master in medical sciences from UNTHSC will strengthen my probability of obtaining a medical residency. I have also a 1-year clinical internship here in US. Just wondering if I already have my MD degree, have to submit GRE or MCAT or those prerequisite courses such as chemistry, biology, physics, etc. Thanks

I think requirements are requirements. They'll still probably want to see an MCAT or GRE. If you already have an MD though this isn't the right program for you, man. Especially if you've already done a PGY-1 year somewhere. This is going backwards and will only end up costing you more money. Your best bet is to get more research or clinical experience in somehow. This program is designed to get people INTO medical/dental/PA school. If you've already done that, this isn't the solution to your problem.

Reactions: 2 users
So as far as health insurance requirements go, how do you check if your current one is accepted by the school? I looked around for some sort of waiver or link, but was unsuccessful.

So as far as health insurance requirements go, how do you check if your current one is accepted by the school? I looked around for some sort of waiver or link, but was unsuccessful.

This is from the Student Health Insurance page under “Waiver Requirements”:

Comparable Coverage: Insurance coverage must meet the minimum standards as outlined by the federal government’s Affordable Care Act in addition to the following:

• Include inpatient care in the DFW area (including mental health coverage)
• Provide outpatient care (including office visits, outpatient mental health, emergency/urgent care and ancillary procedures).
• Prescription drug coverage

It seems like pretty much any health insurance should work, as long as it meets the ACA’s minimum requirements.

Is anyone that has been accepted already looking for housing/roommates in Fort Worth for the fall/spring semesters? (assuming it will be in person lol)
I am hesitant to look for housing. I was looking and making a lot of headway assuming I would move early in the summer to not stress about it later but now idk if we can be sure that it will be in-person by August.. and I don't want to waste 4+ months of rent money. But-- its worth noting that rent for most places increases with short-term leases. Not sure if that will still be the case under these circumstances.

Last edited:
Yeah I was thinking the same about how problematic housing arrangements become with the summer being online only. Prices change and the monthly lease price increases with short term leasing if leasing in the fall. I compromised by finding a 12 month lease starting at the end of June so that I only have to pay for a month of rent while not going to school (unless they go online in the fall as well, then that sucks)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I was thinking the same about how problematic housing arrangements become with the summer being online only. Prices change and the monthly lease price increases with short term leasing if leasing in the fall. I compromised by finding a 12 month lease starting at the end of June so that I only have to pay for a month of rent while not going to school (unless they go online in the fall as well, then that sucks)

So you already signed? I was considering a June 1 move in to be settled for summer classes but I don’t know if that’s a huge gamble for the fall.

So you already signed? I was considering a June 1 move in to be settled for summer classes but I don’t know if that’s a huge gamble for the fall.

Yeah I already signed a lease for a move in date of June 30th. This particular complex shows price changes on a daily basis and I saw that prices increase closer to fall. I also wanted to make sure that I was able to secure an apartment with all these options still available ( knowing that TCU is also nearby).