UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah I already signed a lease for a move in date of June 30th. This particular complex shows price changes on a daily basis and I saw that prices increase closer to fall. I also wanted to make sure that I was able to secure an apartment with all these options still available ( knowing that TCU is also nearby).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree it’s definitely more expensive to wait. We’re you able to get a month free or any special like that?

Members don't see this ad.

I agree it’s definitely more expensive to wait. We’re you able to get a month free or any special like that?

Yeah free month, waived admin fee. They also have student discounts for half off pet deposit and half off of the lease deposit. They are about 6 min away from UNT HSC, they are called 4000 Hulen apartments.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah free month, waived admin fee. They also have student discounts for half off pet deposit and half off of the lease deposit. They are about 6 min away from UNT HSC, they are called 4000 Hulen apartments.

Thanks for letting me know! On the bright side at least I know one other person who will be around during the summer !

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for letting me know! On the bright side at least I know one other person who will be around during the summer !

Ill be around!! Not many will be around since classes are all online...bummer. But hopefully a few of us will be so we could study together.

Does anyone know what the track record is for waitlisted students?

This is from the Student Health Insurance page under “Waiver Requirements”:

Comparable Coverage: Insurance coverage must meet the minimum standards as outlined by the federal government’s Affordable Care Act in addition to the following:

• Include inpatient care in the DFW area (including mental health coverage)
• Provide outpatient care (including office visits, outpatient mental health, emergency/urgent care and ancillary procedures).
• Prescription drug coverage

It seems like pretty much any health insurance should work, as long as it meets the ACA’s minimum requirements.

I saw that on the site, but I can't see any waiver information.

Accepted on 3/15!

GPA: 3.34
MCAT: 507

Waiting to hear back from TTUHSC GMS program as well. Do any current or former med/sci students know if it is possible to commute for this program? My wife has her salary guaranteed for the next year where we live currently which is a few hours away from Fort Worth, so with everything going on trying to see if I can just drive up once a week or something. I'm also considering the online option for this program as well, but am a little worried since it is the first year they are offering it.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted on 3/15!

GPA: 3.34
MCAT: 507

Waiting to hear back from TTUHSC GMS program as well. Do any current or former med/sci students know if it is possible to commute for this program? My wife has her salary guaranteed for the next year where we live currently which is a few hours away from Fort Worth, so with everything going on trying to see if I can just drive up once a week or something. I'm also considering the online option for this program as well, but am a little worried since it is the first year they are offering it.

A few HOURS away? Oof, better just get your own place nearby. It would be fine if you were in the Dallas area, which is only about an hour away, but if you're farther away than that I wouldn't recommend it.

Most of the program CAN be done at home from a distance, but there will be many times when being close by would be really helpful: anatomy lab, studying with classmates, potential pop quizzes (if this is still a thing), going to office hours to ask questions, etc.

It's only for a year my man. My recommendation is to try and find a classmate to split an apartment with if cost is a concern for you. You can be near the school during the week and then can go home to your wife on the weekends.

Does anyone know about having to pay extra for the mandatory prep classes? I'm fine with my score of a 19 on the DAT, do I have to pay the extra 899$ just to take the prep class because I didn't make the cut of 20DAT.

Side note if you don't have a 508 on the MCAT you have to take a prep class that costs 1699$

A few HOURS away? Oof, better just get your own place nearby. It would be fine if you were in the Dallas area, which is only about an hour away, but if you're farther away than that I wouldn't recommend it.

Most of the program CAN be done at home from a distance, but there will be many times when being close by would be really helpful: anatomy lab, studying with classmates, potential pop quizzes (if this is still a thing), going to office hours to ask questions, etc.

It's only for a year my man. My recommendation is to try and find a classmate to split an apartment with if cost is a concern for you. You can be near the school during the week and then can go home to your wife on the weekends.

Thanks for the response! Yeah I think you're right, best to just full commit and be home as much as I can on the weekends.

There's an MCAT class that's both in-person and online. Some people are exempt from it. There's also a summer biostatistics course that (at least for my class) was all online. It's possible to work over the summer, but honestly I would just advise pulling out some extra loans and focusing on class and studying for the MCAT if you have to retake it. If you don't have to retake the MCAT though you should have enough time to work some hours during the weeks of the summer.

I think requirements are requirements. They'll still probably want to see an MCAT or GRE. If you already have an MD though this isn't the right program for you, man. Especially if you've already done a PGY-1 year somewhere. This is going backwards and will only end up costing you more money. Your best bet is to get more research or clinical experience in somehow. This program is designed to get people INTO medical/dental/PA school. If you've already done that, this isn't the solution to your problem.

Yes, very considerable those other options...Thank you

Hey guys! Current med sci student here. I just wanted to say I’m more than happy to help answer any questions you have about the program. I know the waiting game is tough (I wasn’t accepted until the last week of April) but hang in there.

Best of luck and stay safe!

Is it feasible to work while in the med sci program? How difficult is the program? Are there resources such as practice tests/reviews before exams?

There's an MCAT class that's both in-person and online. Some people are exempt from it. There's also a summer biostatistics course that (at least for my class) was all online. It's possible to work over the summer, but honestly I would just advise pulling out some extra loans and focusing on class and studying for the MCAT if you have to retake it. If you don't have to retake the MCAT though you should have enough time to work some hours during the weeks of the summer.

I think requirements are requirements. They'll still probably want to see an MCAT or GRE. If you already have an MD though this isn't the right program for you, man. Especially if you've already done a PGY-1 year somewhere. This is going backwards and will only end up costing you more money. Your best bet is to get more research or clinical experience in somehow. This program is designed to get people INTO medical/dental/PA school. If you've already done that, this isn't the solution to your problem.

Is it possible to continue working throughout the program or do you think the course load is too heavy?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it feasible to work while in the med sci program? How difficult is the program? Are there resources such as practice tests/reviews before exams?
Yes, I would like to know this too. Also, are the tests/quizzes open-ended or multiple choice?

For those who are or have completed the program, has anyone applied to med schools (TMDSAS / AACOMAS / AMCAS) after taking the MCAT in Aug after the summer MCAT course during the program? If so, what was your experience? Is that too late to apply for that cycle?

For those who are or have completed the program, has anyone applied to med schools (TMDSAS / AACOMAS / AMCAS) after taking the MCAT in Aug after the summer MCAT course during the program? If so, what was your experience? Is that too late to apply for that cycle?

I just got in to the program but I don't think you can compare this cycle to past cycles. 8 of 30 test dates have been cancelled this year. We don't know if anymore test dates are going to be cancelled. I imagine a majority of individuals who were cancelled are first time test takers and require the MCAT for their application. I've read some schools are waiving the MCAT but they are probably a very small minority. Ultimately schools are gonna have to adjust, especially if things stay closed longer then anticipated. So expect secondaries, interviews and decisions to be made later then usually. Now the good news, your situation is not unique. Thousands if not tens of thousands of applicants are in the same situation. I don't think much energy should be wasted worrying about things out of your control, instead channel that energy into essays, class work and studying.

I think you might be referring to the fact that faculty recommended that those of us who want to apply this cycle wait until after we take their summer MCAT prep course to take the MCAT vs the whole coronavirus mess? If it’s the first one, here’s how I’m looking at it...I’ve been studying for my retake since December and was supposed to test in April. While I’m sure there’s some value in their recommendation, I’ve also heard time and time again how important it is to 1) apply early and 2) take the MCAT when you’re ready. I’m currently scheduled for June 5th and will be testing that day unless the AAMC cancels it. At this point I’m already deep into practice tests and working through practice problems and I feel that two more months of content review/practice over the summer would only burn me out more and force me to push my application way back. If you’ve already been preparing for months on end and feel okay about where you’re at, I don’t see the benefit in waiting. If you want the extra practice/time, that’s a different story. Personally, as long as I continue to feel ready to take it, I’m taking it.

Agreed I don't recommend working. What little free time you will have I recommend using to enjoy and relax with your friends. DFW is a fun and exciting place to live especially as a young person in their 20s. You won't make much money working the few hours you might be able to afford, so in the end it's not really worth anything. Pull out a little extra on the loans if you don't think you will have enough to live off of. Medical school will be the same way. Don't recommend working.

Lots of people in the past have applied at the end of the summer after taking the MCAT. Some people apply before taking the MCAT and update their application with their new score. People have gotten interviews both ways. The old advice of applying early has been around way before my time. I'm sure there is still a lot of value in that statement, but applying a little later to take enough time to properly study for the MCAT helps a lot as well.

And definitely, this cycle will be different than most because of the whole coronavirus situation. A lot of medical students trying to take boards this summer are encountering the same issue with there being no testing spots available anywhere. Everyone has to and WILL adapt to the situation. No use in worrying about it like USN2MD has stated. Focus on what you can now and study hard. Apply when you get the chance, but keep in mind every single applicant is going through the same situation.

Last edited:
Agree with all of the above. This program is very intense and fast-paced I would not recommend working. I think more than the difficulty of the actual material is keeping up with classes and exams. If you can commit to it full-time, that will benefit you the most. We do get Q&A review lectures before exams, and we have tutors that hold reviews before exams. Practice questions depend on whether the professor teaching the unit provides them or not, but we've had past students make practice questions that we all have access to and use.

Yes, I would like to know this too. Also, are the tests/quizzes open-ended or multiple choice?
Tests and quizzes are multiple choice.

I agree with everything above as well. Earlier is always better and if you feel prepared to take it, don't wait. However, if you think you will greatly benefit from the extra two months of studying and from the prep course- I think it's worth it because of how heavily weighted (of course) your MCAT score is. And like someone mentioned above, you can still submit your TMDSAS before and update it with your score when you get it. That's what I did. I took my MCAT for the 2nd time in August last year. I still got interviews in state and out of state, granted I got them later than most.

For those who have completed the program can you tell us a bit about the optional summer biochemistry course. Was it worth it? And had you taken biochem before? Any other pros/cons for the course.

Reactions: 2 users
I've submitted my application on Feb 2 and had everything within that week. My application status still says "incomplete" but I emailed them and said my file is still under review. Are they still looking at applicants to accept for the upcoming semester?

I've submitted my application on Feb 2 and had everything within that week. My application status still says "incomplete" but I emailed them and said my file is still under review. Are they still looking at applicants to accept for the upcoming semester?
Yes. I believe almost half or more of the class is full

For those who have completed the program can you tell us a bit about the optional summer biochemistry course. Was it worth it? And had you taken biochem before? Any other pros/cons for the course.
I hadn’t taken biochem during undergrad so I chose to take it. The course is very basic and doesn’t go into a whole lot of detail. That being said, I personally was happy I took it. Not only did it refresh my memory on a lot of stuff I had forgotten (from other bio courses, MCAT studying, etc.) but it also laid the ground work for what was to come in biochem in the fall. The biochem in the fall is not easy and caused a lot of people not go get 4.0’s so the more you know ahead of time the better. Keep in mind I’m only speaking from my experience and from those I was close to in the program.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 3 users
My application says incomplete too! Hopefully, we will hear from them soon.

My application says incomplete too! Hopefully, we will hear from them soon.
There are 124 people not including group admins on the Facebook page

Also, for anyone that took the DAT prep class... How was it? I'm thinking about retaking my DAT and reapplying this coming cycle.

So we had a zoom meeting today, and here's what I took notes on.

Payment stuff won't show until you're registered for courses
They don't recommend taking the MCAT or DAT before the prep courses
Saturday, Aug. 15 is the last day of the prep course
MCAT and DAT materials are from Princeton and will be mailed to you
Don't submit TMDSAS applications until you've talked about it with an advisor
Advisors can help you with your personal statement and essays
The tech package is just a 13" macbook pro with an external hard drive for backups - mandatory $2000 fee
Exams are done through lockdown browser in canvas over the summer
Zoom workshops are done over the summer and there is mandatory attendance in online classes over the summer
For the preceptorship (shadowing), it needs to be from an approved doctor/dentist
All summer courses are pass/ no pass except for biostats
Pass/ no pass will not affect GPA
Student organization is available for volunteering
They don't recommend doing research activities during the program unless you do the 2 year research track
Full time grad school is 9 credit hours a semester - we have 15 in the fall and 17 in the spring
A tentative electronic calendar for summer courses will be emailed - they're subject to change
Textbooks for classes haven't been decided yet - most courses require textbooks - most are accessible online
Tutors will be available
About half of the class is seated in this cohort already

Reactions: 15 users
For people who have been accepted... by what date do you guys have to decide if you are going to accept your seat in the program or not?

For people who have been accepted... by what date do you guys have to decide if you are going to accept your seat in the program or not?
Two weeks from the acceptance date.

What is the grading system used for the program? Is it +/- or just A,B,C?

Oh okay. So it's not like a specific date for everyone right?
Man I'm still waiting :( whats going on..
Same here, still waiting. My application disappeared last week and it still hasn’t reappeared. Emailed them and they just sent back a standard reply saying my application is being reviewed.

I would also just keep in mind that they said half of the class is seated, so I'm sure they're still re-reviewing apps to see who goes on the WL and who is accepted. I'm sure you'll hear back this week or later!! They also mentioned they're swamped with trying to graduate the current MedSci class so it pushed everything behind! Just be patient and you'll hear back sooner or later!! goodluck!!

So we had a zoom meeting today, and here's what I took notes on.

Payment stuff won't show until you're registered for courses
They don't recommend taking the MCAT or DAT before the prep courses
Saturday, Aug. 15 is the last day of the prep course
MCAT and DAT materials are from Princeton and will be mailed to you
Don't submit TMDSAS applications until you've talked about it with an advisor
Advisors can help you with your personal statement and essays
The tech package is just a 13" macbook pro with an external hard drive for backups - mandatory $2000 fee
Exams are done through lockdown browser in canvas over the summer
Zoom workshops are done over the summer and there is mandatory attendance in online classes over the summer
For the preceptorship (shadowing), it needs to be from an approved doctor/dentist
All summer courses are pass/ no pass except for biostats
Pass/ no pass will not affect GPA
Student organization is available for volunteering
They don't recommend doing research activities during the program unless you do the 2 year research track
Full time grad school is 9 credit hours a semester - we have 15 in the fall and 17 in the spring
A tentative electronic calendar for summer courses will be emailed - they're subject to change
Textbooks for classes haven't been decided yet - most courses require textbooks - most are accessible online
Tutors will be available
About half of the class is seated in this cohort already
Great stuff just wanted to add couple more that I thought were helpful.

MCAT prep is M-F 2-5. Biochem is prerecorded. Stats is module based with some live group activities and wrap-ups. Health Disparity class will be live conference style.
MCAT exam is an excused absence from school.
If not applying till next year take MCAT in May of 2021, MCAT prep course materials will still be available till then.
Tech package has 4 year warranty with theft protection, that's probably big reason for the cost .
There will be resources for those new to Mac OS as well as "skin" to make it more like windows for those who have never touched a mac.
TMDSAS has field to indicate you are in the program when filling out applications.
Can get doctors/dentists on the approved list if not there already. More info about that will be supplied on process, sounds like they just check to ensure the provider has a current license with no disciplinary measures against them.
They mentioned late July/early August will have a "lighter" schedule (think they mentioned due to conducting mock interviews). They mentioned this as time to complete 40 hr preceptorship requirement, but might want to consider this as time to move since they said mid-july would be latest they'd hope to announce if fall will have to be moved online.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys I am graduating from Medsci in May as well as moving out of my apartment in May! If you are looking for affordable housing please DM me! It is very close to campus!

Rejected:( My application status was just updated to "Not accepted at this time". I have yet to receive an email from them.

I was just rejected as well. Good luck to everyone else!!!

To all the reapplicant who got accepted to this program, what did you do to be more competitive?

Hi! I was only able to join towards the end of that meeting, but wanted to ask if they said anything more about the preceptorship. Do we have to arrange this on our own (should I be looking for docs soon lol) or will they be sending out more info about this later?
you have to arrange it on your own. It must be complete by I think the first week of spring semester. its 40 hours. You have to get approval by UNTHSC for the physician/dentist you choose to shadow. They will send out a list of possible people near orientation to shadow but its not guaranteed they will let you or have room for more people.

Hi! I was only able to join towards the end of that meeting, but wanted to ask if they said anything more about the preceptorship. Do we have to arrange this on our own (should I be looking for docs soon lol) or will they be sending out more info about this later?
They have a list of docs on file for the DFW metroplex that you can choose from. They'll send that out shortly through email and the Facebook group.

Also anyone know the specs for the tech package? I just wanna know if I have enough space to dual boot Mac and Windows OS lol.

I s
I was rejected as well :(

I was accepted to the UIWSOM MBS program. About 60% of the MBS students get accepted to their SOM. But, it's a fairly new program (I think I would be in the 4th class). So, should I go ahead with the MBS program or improve my stats/app and reapply to UNTHSC?
What do you think held you back most academic wise? Does the UIWSOM offer an MCAT prep? I say do the UIWSOM program cause at least you'll be doing something for the next year.

Sorry to hear those that didn't get in. I know it's tough but I'd see about doing the application review with them in June.

Also anyone know the specs for the tech package? I just wanna know if I have enough space to dual boot Mac and Windows OS lol.
I really hope it's at least the 256GB but the fact that a external HDD is included makes me feel like it will be the 128GB. And it looks like as of 2020 the new MacBook pro SSD is now soldered on so can't upgrade it.

I got rejected today as well. Good luck to everyone else that got in! This was the only school I had applied to so I will be applying to more now.