UPenn c/o 2019 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else have an interview today? Getting nervous!

Members don't see this ad.

About what time of day were people getting calls about interviews? I'm getting more convinced with each passing hour that it's just not gonna happen :(

Members don't see this ad :)
ObieGirl and JM, I hope your interviews went well!

Reactions: 1 user
Yup! :D Good luck to everyone, I hope we hear back soon!

Thank you for the advice! Penn was a real stretch for me but I have had the bulk of my veterinary experience at Penn and both of my eLORs came from veterinarians at Penn and the Philadelphia Zoo. I've been wanting to go here since I was a kid and even if I got an interview I think I would pass out. That being said, they are so heavy on your GPA that it's holding me back immensely. I am hoping and praying for even a chance to interview because I really feel like I could sell myself at an interview.

By the way, congratulations to those who have been accepted! It is a huge accomplishment!

If you really want to go there and you don't get accepted to the other schools you applied to, DEFINITELY do a file review and apply again. I got in on my second try for the following year. I have gained a TON of experience since then and I really think it worked out for the best. It's not all about your GPA. You can PM me for details but I will tell you I did not have a 3.9 like many of the others. My friend applied a few years before me with a 3.9 and fantastic GRE scores and didn't get in until her second try. So seriously, don't give up!!!!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!

If you really want to go there and you don't get accepted to the other schools you applied to, DEFINITELY do a file review and apply again. I got in on my second try for the following year. I have gained a TON of experience since then and I really think it worked out for the best. It's not all about your GPA. You can PM me for details but I will tell you I did not have a 3.9 like many of the others. My friend applied a few years before me with a 3.9 and fantastic GRE scores and didn't get in until her second try. So seriously, don't give up!!!!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!

This means so much to me, thank you. I got accepted to Ross and am waiting to hear from one more school but Penn is my dream school and I'm not sure I want to commit to somewhere I'm not fully confident in. I am truly thinking about using this year to get more experience and apply again and I will most definitely do a file review as you suggested. I really appreciate your advice and since it is my IS it makes me want to go even more!

Also congratulations on your admittance!

This means so much to me, thank you. I got accepted to Ross and am waiting to hear from one more school but Penn is my dream school and I'm not sure I want to commit to somewhere I'm not fully confident in. I am truly thinking about using this year to get more experience and apply again and I will most definitely do a file review as you suggested. I really appreciate your advice and since it is my IS it makes me want to go even more!

Also congratulations on your admittance!

I am not currently a UPENN applicant, but I do like viewing the threads to see how schools handle their admissions processes. I can tell you that while taking a year to re-group and improve your application is certainly not a bad idea, I also wouldn't rush to do it either. However, I definitely recommend doing a file review! It's always good to see where you fell compared to everyone else (idk if all schools give you your rank but A&M will, or at least tell you how far away you were from getting an interview). Getting into any veterinary school is a huge accomplishment, and one not everyone makes. One of the best veterinarians I've ever worked for went to Ross, and you can always apply for UPENN for your clinical year. Congratulations on getting into vet school and I hope you hear good news from the other school as well :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are you headed WildZoo, if you don't mind my asking?

Just received a rejection email, but I'm actually really ecstatic right now to know for sure where I will be next year. Good luck everyone!!

That's odd. I didn't get mine yet. Did anybody else get?

Also where in Tennessee? UT or LMU?

That's odd. I didn't get mine yet. Did anybody else get?

Also where in Tennessee? UT or LMU?
It was a post-interview rejection, so probably different from the general rejections I guess, if they are getting ready to send those out.

UT, sorry, I guess I should have specified but in my head Tennessee = University of :)

I am not currently a UPENN applicant, but I do like viewing the threads to see how schools handle their admissions processes. I can tell you that while taking a year to re-group and improve your application is certainly not a bad idea, I also wouldn't rush to do it either. However, I definitely recommend doing a file review! It's always good to see where you fell compared to everyone else (idk if all schools give you your rank but A&M will, or at least tell you how far away you were from getting an interview). Getting into any veterinary school is a huge accomplishment, and one not everyone makes. One of the best veterinarians I've ever worked for went to Ross, and you can always apply for UPENN for your clinical year. Congratulations on getting into vet school and I hope you hear good news from the other school as well :)

Thank you for this! I am still deciding. My family wants to take a trip down to check out the area and take a tour. I would like to see what it is like before making a final decision. Also I have had some fantastic veterinarians from Ross as well. It's a bit about the price tag and the distance that concerns me.

My grandfather passed away two months ago and I was close enough to home that I was able to spend his last moments with him. My family means the world to me and I couldn't imagine not being able to hop in a car to get to them if they needed it. Plus I might need it too. I'm still waiting to hear back from schools so I'm not counting Ross out yet but rather weighing different options. :) I appreciate your advice though, it's really helpful.

It was a post-interview rejection, so probably different from the general rejections I guess, if they are getting ready to send those out.

UT, sorry, I guess I should have specified but in my head Tennessee = University of :)

Ah sorry to hear about your rejection! But hey, it's great to have peace of mind now that you know where you're going!

Hey, guys! This is my first time posting in this thread so excuse any mistakes I may make. I interviewed last Friday and was wondering if anyone else heard anything back today?? Feeling super anxious

Hey, guys! This is my first time posting in this thread so excuse any mistakes I may make. I interviewed last Friday and was wondering if anyone else heard anything back today?? Feeling super anxious
Is admissions open on President's Day? I remember freaking out when I didn't get a call the Monday after, not realizing it was MLK Day so everything was closed (I still had class). Not sure if the same applies for Presidents Day.

Is admissions open on President's Day? I remember freaking out when I didn't get a call the Monday after, not realizing it was MLK Day so everything was closed (I still had class). Not sure if the same applies for Presidents Day.

I am not sure if they are open today or not but I am having mild panic attacks every time I refresh my e-mail lol

I thought because we were the last interview day they may be taking longer to decide for us?

I thought because we were the last interview day they may be taking longer to decide for us?

I am really hoping that is the case. Although it feels good to know others haven't heard back yet. It is just very stressful situation :unsure:

Have any "holds" heard any word yet? Or in general, has anyone heard so far? Lol

Silence, I wish they could just give us some indication about where they are in their process. I kinda feel like I've already been rejected

I'm afraid to call because I feel like I would be wasting their time. I would rather all of their attention be focused on making decisions than talking to me but I just want to know!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Same, the last correspondence I had with UPenn was my application payment in September :S

Same, the last correspondence I had with UPenn was my application payment in September :S
Same here.
I even emailed Mr. Keiter a couple of weeks ago, but I have not yet received a response.

At this point I am expecting rejection simply because the last set of interviews was last Friday. I'm sure they're finalizing the class now and any people that have been wait listed will probably be accepted and those who haven't heard will probably be receiving rejections.

They just keep pulling at my heart Strings!

Reactions: 1 users
Soooo did anyone else have a super weird experience with PennVet? I applied, didn't hear anything from them for months then one day I got a call. The person on the phone said she was calling to see if some candidates were still "viable" for PennVet and asked me if I was still interested in PennVet (I said yes). Then she asked me if I heard from my IS state (she actually said the school's name) to which I replied that I have heard. I think it is extremely rude/nosy of a school to even ask that! Especially coming from an ivy league school who keeps you waiting for months on end.
Tell us more...when did you get the call? Some have heard nothing...no call, no rejection, no acceptance. Nothing. Was this recent? And, what did they say were next steps? Just curious because the radio silence is driving me crazy.

Soooo did anyone else have a super weird experience with PennVet? I applied, didn't hear anything from them for months then one day I got a call. The person on the phone said she was calling to see if some candidates were still "viable" for PennVet and asked me if I was still interested in PennVet (I said yes). Then she asked me if I heard from my IS state (she actually said the school's name) to which I replied that I have heard. I think it is extremely rude/nosy of a school to even ask that! Especially coming from an ivy league school who keeps you waiting for months on end.
My friend interviewed there a few weeks ago and she said they kept asking about her undergrad institution's vet school and how great it was down there, etc. And during mine, my interviewer made a comment or two about my IS school and my undergrad school. She would say things about how I'm not Penn IS and how she has to convince the committee to take an OOS over an IS student... I just kinda smiled and changed the subject tho, lol Other than that, I found Penn to be very enjoyable.

Tufts asked me about Penn (my IS) when I interviewed there. They wanted to know if I applied and if I got in. I think they do it to make sure you really want to be at the school if you're OOS with an IS acceptance. I think at this point in the game, they're trying to prevent taking someone who isn't interested in them and rejecting someone who would then be crushed because they got locked out of their top choice. Not saying you two (jm and new girl) aren't serious about Penn but the school just wants to be sure. I think it's something all schools do at this point.

Reactions: 1 users
During my interview they asked me where else I had applied and if I had gotten in anywhere. My interviewer basically said UT was a better fit for me financially and according to my interests. Which is why I was definitely not surprised to get the rejection. It is weird that you guys haven't heard back yet, I wonder if my interviewer pushed for them to tell me early since he basically convinced me to go to UT :p

Can schools see (on VMCAS or something) where you applied? I wasn't asked anything about where I applied during my interview, but I wonder if it's because they already knew I hadn't applied anywhere else.

Yea I totally understand that. But the thing is the person on the phone asked me first if I was interested in PennVet and I told her yes. Then she asked about my IS. Why should it matter if I heard from my IS if I said I was still interested in PennVet? I don't know just seemed rude.

:O. See I think that is being very pushy! But maybe that's just me. I think your dealings with any other school you applied to shouldn't be addressed at an interview or by another school in general. You applied to the school and attended the interview, you are obviously interested in the school.
:shrug: It didn't really bother me. I was happy with my UT acceptance and was looking for Penn to impress me so it would be a tougher choice if they accepted me. I appreciated feeling a bit more sure of things after th interview. He was very nice about it. I mentioned finances and he pointed out that although their OOS tuitions are very similar, Knoxville is a lot cheaper to live in.
It seems they aren't really looking to draw you away from better financial options (unless you are a super impressive applicant...in which case they'll probably offer you a recruitment scholarship). And like sar said, they want to make sure that there's a good chance you'll attend if they accept you.
Even if they do know where else you applied (which I don't think they do but I could be wrong) you're under no obligation to tell them where you've been accepted if you don't want to.

I received the same call, and it was only after I said I hadn't applied to my IS school that I was offered an interview. Like sar_arnsky said, I think at that point they were running out of time to interview and were trying to focus on students who would have a good chance of choosing Penn over their IS. If you don't mind me asking, did you say you had been accepted to your IS and then they didn't offer an interview?

I'm probably going to call them when I get out of class today. I'll let you know what I learn. This silence is getting a little rediculous

Just to reiterate what everyone else has been saying, when I was called for an interview they first asked me about Cornell which is the school they assumed was my instate school and asked if I applied and if I had received an answer from them. I then told them that Cornell had rejected me and they then offered me an interview. Then at my interview they brought it again and I explained that Tennessee was actually my instate school and they kept asking me about if I had interviewed there and if I heard anything. I tried to shrug it off but I wouldn't be at their interview if I wasn't interested in their school. So I'm hoping that applying to my instate school doesn't hurt me because Penn is my top choice.