UPenn c/o 2020 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ahh sweet. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of techniques did your learn and what did you focus on in your genetics research lab?
I hope you get in! It seems like it's super competitive and my GPA and GRE wasn't the best at all. I just hope my research experience compensates for my decent numerical representation via test and grades :p
do you know if they will still offer you a dvm interview if you don't make the cut for the dvm/phd?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow... Got an interview... 22nd. Good luck to all of us, maybe meet some of you. I'll just write "Pittprevet" on my forehead with red sharpie.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So excited for you guys :) :) If anyone is coming in from afar and needs a place to stay super close to the school, doesn't mind sleeping on a couch...let me know!

I'm flying in from Maine for a January 15th interview! Does your offer still stand? I have to come and go quickly, and I love couches!

Hi guys! New to this thread! Congrats to everyone who received interviews. Was wondering if anyone knows the other interview dates? I know they occur on fridays running into Feb but like mid Feb like the 13th or till the end of Feb? And I have noticed Penn seems to send out interviews every week I'm assuming there is about 3 more waves for them to send out, but wanted to see if anyone knew for sure!

Reactions: 1 user
From past years it seems like they let you know if you're in or not within a week or so of the interview (as opposed to waiting for everyone to be interviewed). So it seems like every year the number of interviews would be about the same unless they're rejecting more people than normal or accepting more people than normal in the beginning.

so you can hear from penn until the end of February pretty much about scheduling an interview? Dont they usually give you at least a month before an interview date to get travel plans scheduled. I looked through last years thread and it seems like the latest people were notified about a interview was Feb 10-12th

Hi guys! New to this thread! Congrats to everyone who received interviews. Was wondering if anyone knows the other interview dates? I know they occur on fridays running into Feb but like mid Feb like the 13th or till the end of Feb? And I have noticed Penn seems to send out interviews every week I'm assuming there is about 3 more waves for them to send out, but wanted to see if anyone knew for sure!
Last year the last interview date was February 14th

The length of Interviewing periods can vary year to year depending on how quickly the class fills up. Generally people are invited to interview once a week with at least a couple weeks notice, but I know in the past some have been invited on short notice (when people decline etc) on the later interview days, so it's really hard to predict. I know the waiting/uncertainty is hard but unfortunately that's the way it is with this process!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all who have been invited to Penn Vet for interviews! I interviewed there in January so if anybody has specific questions on the interview process, don't hesitate to PM me :)

Congrats to all who have been invited to Penn Vet for interviews! I interviewed there in January so if anybody has specific questions on the interview process, don't hesitate to PM me :)
when is the last interview invitation usually sent out?

Okay, the clinics post. I still don't know much about the research side of things, but I'll say what I can.

So typically, clinics begins in May of your 3rd year. Sometime during second year/early third year, you'll start having quick little lectures on how to plan your classes, declare your major, etc an will be given an excel sheet to help plan it all out. The excel sheet is initially really confusing, but then it magically makes sense. What rotations you are required to take depends on what major you declare, but everyone has to take the foundation rotations (Medicine and Surgery for Small animal, LA Medicine, Sx and ECC) no matter what you declare. After that, it depends on your interest and how many vacation rotations you have.

Everyone is guaranteed a 2 week vacation no matter how many elective credits you have. Then for x amount of elective credits, you can earn an additional two week vacation. These are really helpful for externships, studying for boards or if you just want the vacation. I would have easily had 12+ weeks, but I added some electives in last minute, so they couldn't be factored into my rotation schedule.

In regards to electives, Penn has pretty much everything you could want, except a designated wildlife or k9 rehab rotation, but there are some local places that do these and take students for externships so it's pretty easy to get them if you want them. And since we have such as high case load, every service is usually pretty busy (this can be good and bad as sometimes things get absolutely crazy), but you will get exposure. Some rotations are more hands on than others and we have some recent issues (in regards to getting more hands on experience) with our Surgery rotations, but my class is actively trying to change that for future classes. However, if you want some basic surgery experience, there are some awesome shelters in the area that allow you to be very hands on. I'm on Ortho next so if I hear of any updates on how the surgery rotation is going to work in the future, I'll update you all.

Additionally, if you want more time in clinics, you can start them as early as January of your 3rd year (which is what I did). We normally have two blocks of classes called Large and Small Animal block which are more detailed classes and offer some more hands on opportunities before entering clinics. You can skip one block, both blocks or no blocks. If you skip just one block, you'll get an extra 2.5 months of so of clinic time, however you are expected to do some of this time outside the hospital as they say they can't guarantee you spots within the hospital (that being said, I don't think anyone had any issues). If you skip both blocks, you get January-May as extra clinic time, but you just have to more externships planned. I also have friends who took both blocks and they still feel like they're getting enough clinic time. It just depends on what you want I guess.

As for the research side of things, many people contribute throughout the year and many do the NIH/Merial program over the summer. Those individuals that are the in VMD/PhD program do their classroom years first and then take the next 3-4 years off to do the PhD aspect of their program and then go into clinics after that.

Hope that helps, if you have more specific questions about actual electives and such just let me know!

Reactions: 2 users
^ I'll probably have a few more questions closer to my interview date and perhaps after it (if I'm accepted), once I've scrutinized things a bit more (though I've already "inadvertently" memorized the Penn Vet curriculum and available electives). At any rate, thanks so much for taking the time to explain all of this to me! It's extremely helpful to have a student's insight into the program's structure. I'm crazy excited to come see everything in a few weeks!

^ I'll probably have a few more questions closer to my interview date and perhaps after it (if I'm accepted), once I've scrutinized things a bit more (though I've already "inadvertently" memorized the Penn Vet curriculum and available electives). At any rate, thanks so much for taking the time to explain all of this to me! It's extremely helpful to have a student's insight into the program's structure. I'm crazy excited to come see everything in a few weeks!

If you think of stuff close to your interview date, write them down to ask at your interview and then I can fill in anything extra.

Thanks so much, @orca2011 ! That was extremely helpful. :)

How much dental experience are you going to be getting? I've been working with some newer doctors from other schools who had zero hands on dentistry experience on graduation, and even 2-3 years out, they get anxious about doing extractions and whatnot. Aside from the wildlife and K9 rehab you mentioned, is there anything like that in your own program where you feel like you'll only get the training if you make a serious effort to do it outside of the curriculum?

Thanks so much, @orca2011 ! That was extremely helpful. :)

How much dental experience are you going to be getting? I've been working with some newer doctors from other schools who had zero hands on dentistry experience on graduation, and even 2-3 years out, they get anxious about doing extractions and whatnot. Aside from the wildlife and K9 rehab you mentioned, is there anything like that in your own program where you feel like you'll only get the training if you make a serious effort to do it outside of the curriculum?

I haven't had my dental rotation yet so I honestly don't know how hands on it is in regards to extractions. But from my understanding, most people end up doing a ton of CE for dentistry either way. Surgery is probably one of the ones where I think you have to put some effort into, but from my understanding that tends to be the trend for most of the vet schools. That being said, getting outside experience was fairly easy, and I feel comfortable doing spays/neuters (in heat, pregnant, etc). I've done a few other procedures, but nothing major.

Does any one know when the last interviews are sent out? Around when? Im guessing end of Jan?

I've heard from multiple students that Penn is changing up how they do their interviews but does anyone know what exactly they're changing from previous years?

Does any one know when the last interviews are sent out? Around when? Im guessing end of Jan?
A couple years ago there were still invites being sent out into late February. Last year the last interview date was mid-February so most of the invites for that were sent in January, but I believe some people received late invites to that interview weekend.

Does anyone know when the large animal weekends will be? Or if those invites were already sent out?

Are they going to continue sending invites throughout the holiday break?

A couple years ago there were still invites being sent out into late February. Last year the last interview date was mid-February so most of the invites for that were sent in January, but I believe some people received late invites to that interview weekend.

thank you! I hope we hear soon with GOOD news!

Just declined my OOS interview spot. I hope someone else on here gets it! Best of luck to all of you - it was a very difficult decision to make, and I'm sure the PennVet class of 2020 will be wonderful. :)

Reactions: 1 users
I also just declined my OOS interview spot for January 8th. Hopefully it goes to someone on SDN! Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
I have an interview for Kansas State the day after my PennVet interview. My flight is at 7:45pm at Newark. In the interview email it says the interview day will possibly go until 4:30pm. For people that had interviews last year, is it possible to get out earlier than that? Will they finish early? I would fly out of philly but the I couldn't afford to switch flights since I got the Kansas interview first.

I have an interview for Kansas State the day after my PennVet interview. My flight is at 7:45pm at Newark. In the interview email it says the interview day will possibly go until 4:30pm. For people that had interviews last year, is it possible to get out earlier than that? Will they finish early? I would fly out of philly but the I couldn't afford to switch flights since I got the Kansas interview first.
It depends on your particular interview time, which I don't think they tell you until you get there. One group interviews first and then does a tour, other group does the tour and then interviews. I would email the school about it. Maybe they can change your interview date or make sure you get an early time.

Doesn't it take 1.5-2 hours to go from Philly to Newark? If you have only carry on bags and you check in beforehand I don't see why you wouldn't be able to make it there with more than enough time if you left at 4:30. And chances are you may be able to get out earlier. If you are in the earlier group, then you may be out by 3 if you skip the tour. Your best bet is definitely contacting the school at least to see if you can interview earlier.

It should theoretically take an hour and a half to get from Philly to Newark by car, but traffic on a Friday at 4:30 pm is going to be pretty bad. On public transportation, it should generally be about the same time but would most likely take a bit longer, especially since the AirTrain is a POS. The other thing I'd worry about is that security usually takes a while at EWR because it's so damn crowded. Personally, I'd think leaving around 4:30 pm for a 7:45 pm flight would be cutting it really close.

If you are really cutting it close at security, also don't be afraid to tell someone working the line and they often will skip you ahead so you dont have to wait (def. had this happen before). But, yeah, with traffic I understand why it may be difficult.

My interview email said no rescheduling, but you can try.

Does anyone know when UPenn might send out the next wave of interview invites? ... the wait is killing me! :(

Does anyone know when UPenn might send out the next wave of interview invites? ... the wait is killing me! :(

The hospital/school is still basically running on a holiday schedule right now, so it might be once things are more normal next week. Be patient! You'll hear one way or another when they are ready.

The hospital/school is still basically running on a holiday schedule right now, so it might be once things are more normal next week. Be patient! You'll hear one way or another when they are ready.

Oh good point about the holiday schedule (duh on my part)! That makes me feel a little better, thanks!

can we bring a guest to the happy hour afterwards? my boyfriend is driving me to the interview and just hanging out on the campus for the day until I'm done, we'd love to both come to the happy hour :)

can we bring a guest to the happy hour afterwards? my boyfriend is driving me to the interview and just hanging out on the campus for the day until I'm done, we'd love to both come to the happy hour :)
He is welcome to come too! I'm sure our beer barons will have a nice selection for you guys.

Most definitely. The more the merrier. Unfortunately I likely won't be at this happy hour because I'll likely be getting out of clinics late and I have to travel out of the city for a CrossFit competition that's on Saturday.

Anyone know when next interview invites will be!?

One of my friends told me he got an invite today for the 29th, so I think another wave may have gone out earlier

I heard that they may do a large animal interview day where they put as many of the LA people on the same day as they can around Feb 12th (but not all LA people). They bus them out to New Bolton center that day. I'm not sure how true that is, but it's keeping me optimistic so I'm going to keep telling myself this lol

I heard that they may do a large animal interview day where they put as many of the LA people on the same day as they can around Feb 12th (but not all LA people). They bus them out to New Bolton center that day. I'm not sure how true that is, but it's keeping me optimistic so I'm going to keep telling myself this lol

That is true! And same haha I'm hoping that there hasn't been interviews sent out for large animal yet

Edit: not sure about that specific date though!!

Last edited:
I've definitely heard this, but I'm wondering where you heard Feb 12th? I'm assuming it'll be February, but I know one year it was the 14th, and last year it was the 6th, so it hasn't consistently been the same. Just wondering who you got your info from so I can decide if I believe it's trustworthy haha

Another wave of interviews and no invite /: not happy news ..