UPENN c/o 2022 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What area code is PennVet? I just received a call from PA and am curious...

Mine was a NJ number (that’s where my interviewer lives and works) so I feel like it might depend on who is interviewing you

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question, are the interviews an hour or 30 minutes or it varies? Getting excited for tomorrow
I was told ~30 minutes! Good luck tomorrow see you there!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted, IS. Interviewed 02/02/2018 with Dr. Sertich :soexcited:

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I still haven't heard anything back. No interview invite, or rejection. Should I assume at this point I'll be getting a rejection letter?

Reactions: 1 users
I still haven't heard anything back. No interview invite, or rejection. Should I assume at this point I'll be getting a rejection letter?
I’m in the same boat. They have interviews going into mid February so I believe either this weekend or next will be the last weekend for interviews. So there is still a chance!

I’m in the same boat. They have interviews going into mid February so I believe either this weekend or next will be the last weekend for interviews. So there is still a chance!

I hope so :(

Got the call about an hour ago!!!! IS ACCEPTED! Interviewed with Dr. Henthorn. See you in the Fall, PennVet

Reactions: 13 users
Hey guys, quick question: did anyone else receive information regarding a summer course when they received their acceptance letter?

I haven't heard anything either, so I'm pretty much banking on a rejection at this point haha. Thankfully, I'm fortunate enough to have other acceptances at schools that are just as great so I'm not too worried...

@DVet1996 Quick question! How long did it take you to receive your acceptance letter after your acceptance call? Just wondering when I should approximately start attaching myself to my mailbox. Thanks!

@DVet1996 Quick question! How long did it take you to receive your acceptance letter after your acceptance call? Just wondering when I should approximately start attaching myself to my mailbox. Thanks!

I received mine about a week and a half after the call.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who hasn't heard anything about a rejection or interview talked to admissions?

Has anyone who hasn't heard anything about a rejection or interview talked to admissions?
Last I checked with them they said my file was under review. And that was mid January

Hey everyone!

So I know Penn's interviews are typically less stress and more conservational. I also know they tend to really focus on your application. Are typical interview questions such as "describe a conflict and how you handled it" asked or is it more so questions they pull from reading you application.

Thanks!

Hey everyone!

So I know Penn's interviews are typically less stress and more conservational. I also know they tend to really focus on your application. Are typical interview questions such as "describe a conflict and how you handled it" asked or is it more so questions they pull from reading you application.

Thanks!
They will likely ask more questions about your application/experiences/etc.

Hey everyone!

Thanks!

Maybe my experience was different than most, but I was asked next to nothing about my application. They said, “Tell us about yourself” when I first came in, then all of my other questions were picked at random (by me choosing a number) off of a paper. They weren’t generally difficult questions, mostly situational/behavioral, but I just wanted to mention it so others aren’t thrown off from the beginning like I was.

Maybe my experience was different than most, but I was asked next to nothing about my application. They said, “Tell us about yourself” when I first came in, then all of my other questions were picked at random (by me choosing a number) off of a paper. They weren’t generally difficult questions, mostly situational/behavioral, but I just wanted to mention it so others aren’t thrown off from the beginning like I was.
Who was your interviewer?

hey guys! Wanted to let everyone know that they mentioned today was the last interview day...just incase you're still waiting to hear...Rob said after today we would only hear accept, reject, or waitlist (not on hold) because this was the last round!

I don't know if it helps, but for people who are just receiving rejections now, know that you made it very far in the application process and were someone they were highly considering. Any one of you could have been called in for a last minute interview had someone cancelled their interview.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't know if it helps, but for people who are just receiving rejections now, know that you made it very far in the application process and were someone they were highly considering. Any one of you could have been called in for a last minute interview had someone cancelled their interview.

I really appreciate you Saying this! It's really easy to feel discouraged even if this my first application cycle. If I don't get into my wait listed school, here's to next year!

does anyone who interviewed last friday know when we are supposed to hear back?

Accepted about an hour ago! Interviewed on 2/9/18, we were informed we were the very last group of 60 to interview for CO’22 during the days activities, if that helps anyone out.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted about an hour ago! Interviewed on 2/9/18, we were informed we were the very last group of 60 to interview for CO’22 during the days activities, if that helps anyone out.

congratulations!!!

I interviewed Friday and heard back this morning! My interviewer called me around 9AM! From what I read it's whenever is convenient for your interviewer :)

For people that are OOS and definitely going to accept your spot (or even current students who are OOS) -- what factored into your decision and how you ended up deciding on Penn?

I really loved Penn when I visited and got a really great vibe from them but the crazy expensive OOS tuition makes me really hesitant :eek:

For people that are OOS and definitely going to accept your spot (or even current students who are OOS) -- what factored into your decision and how you ended up deciding on Penn?

I really loved Penn when I visited and got a really great vibe from them but the crazy expensive OOS tuition makes me really hesitant :eek:

Honestly, if you have a cheaper option, you should definitely really consider that when choosing your school.

Personally, I applied to vet schools with the bare minimum of prereqs, which limited where I could apply. I'm also from NJ, so I had no in state school. To all the schools that I could apply, none of them had the option of switching to in-state tuition after the first year. Basically, it ended up that I was going to be paying pretty close to the same amount wherever I decided to go.
I loved Penn's atmosphere (and still do) + it was the closest school to my family + it had a lot of career options for my boyfriend (who has since moved to Philly with me). I'm extremely happy with my choice to come here :)

Reactions: 5 users

So I don't know how well known this is, but you can get IS tuition at Penn! You just have to defer for a year and live and work in PA to gain residency first. Anyway, I was OOS and that's what I did, so IS at Penn ended up being cheaper for me than OOS at other schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if we can apply to the need based grants prior to submitting our deposit? I know this was mentioned at the financial aid presentation, but the admitted applicants website suggests otherwise...

Does anyone know if we can apply to the need based grants prior to submitting our deposit? I know this was mentioned at the financial aid presentation, but the admitted applicants website suggests otherwise...
i just received a response from the lady from financial aid and she said that they will try to award the need based aid before the decision deadline and that they will post an online application at some point

Hey, question about in state tuition! I go to undergrad in PA and for my senior year I moved off campus, signed a lease, and pay utilities. I've also been working in PA since May. Is this enough to petition for in-state tuition?

Hey, question about in state tuition! I go to undergrad in PA and for my senior year I moved off campus, signed a lease, and pay utilities. I've also been working in PA since May. Is this enough to petition for in-state tuition?

So to be considered a resident, for at least one year you have to: be registered to vote in the state, have a PA driver's license, and pay PA taxes (as well as be living in the state obviously). I also don't know if living in the state because you're attending school would be enough, or you'd need to be here for a reason besides school, i.e. for a job. You could contact the Office of Admissions if you think you might qualify.

Definitely contact the school and ask. I don't think any of us could definitively answer this question one way or another.

OOS, I just declined my alternate seat offer at Penn. I hope that this gives someone else a chance! Congrats to everyone accepted and good luck to everyone waiting!

Hey guys! Quick question- does anyone remember the learning style UPenn uses? (more book heavy, PBL, etc?) Thanks!

I have a quick question as well - does penn send financial aid packages to everyone? And do you know when? I was assuming after you submit the financial need form with all the other required documents you would then receive a package.

Hi! Does anyone know about how long after you get the call saying you've been accepted that you get the actual acceptance packet in the mail? I'm trying to figure out if the post office lost it or if it just hasn't been sent yet.

Hey guys! Quick question- does anyone remember the learning style UPenn uses? (more book heavy, PBL, etc?) Thanks!
From what I have heard/students telling me -- the curriculum is much more didactic vs PBL (I know Cornell is a big PBL school)

I have a quick question as well - does penn send financial aid packages to everyone? And do you know when? I was assuming after you submit the financial need form with all the other required documents you would then receive a package.

Just seeing this now ;)

Hi! Does anyone know about how long after you get the call saying you've been accepted that you get the actual acceptance packet in the mail? I'm trying to figure out if the post office lost it or if it just hasn't been sent yet.

Average is 2 weeks I think? Mine was 10 days later, another person was 16 days so it varies. Don't stress! You're in regardless, and congrats!

Financial Aid applications are reviewed beginning May 1, so you will need to commit before you get an idea of what they will offer you. Lots of scholarships are available to first year students, some of which are renewable each year - these require applications and students are notified when they become available. But don't take my word for it - contact financial services for more information. The financial aid presenter on my interview day was Nichole Moore, so I spoke with her.

About a week after I was accepted, I got a single piece of paper that was just a short acceptance letter with instructions on how to accept my seat - so it is possible you may not get a big packet with balloons & confetti like for undergrad. That said, if you receive a scholarship, you may receive more correspondence.

How easy is it to get hands on animal experience starting your first year @Ryan Hospital? Can you volunteer/are there jobs for students in the hospital or pharmacy?

How easy is it to get hands on animal experience starting your first year @Ryan Hospital? Can you volunteer/are there jobs for students in the hospital or pharmacy?

There are some jobs (or there was when I went througb). For more hands on stuff most of my classmates worked with the research colony animals. There are a lot of opportunities for hands on experience through the clubs. Depending on your experience level you may be able to do some tech type work in some departments but that's a bit more variable I think.

Hey, for all you folks moving to Philly to start at PennVet this summer, my landlady has several apartments opening. It's in West Philly (aka Best Philly), and I LOVE my current apartment and its location. PM me if you have interest.

Does anyone know if the OOS waitlist has moved at all or typically how much it moves each year? Thanks!

I think it really depends on the year and your ranking. A couple years ago, for a few cycles, it didn't move at all. Last year, there seemed to be okay movement. I'm also an OOS alternate and I think we'll know more after the deposit deadline.
The wait is killing me. Did you find out your rank yet?

I have a question about the commute to school. Is there anyone who takes the train/bus to campus who would be willing to share their experience with it? Specifically, is a 20ish minute train ride possible, or is it just too inconvenient your first year or two? If so, what would you all recommend in terms of commuting? The background is that my boyfriend has a job lined up near West Chester, and we are trying to figure out how plausible it would be to live together at a spot more in the middle for both of our commutes to school or work. Thank you in advance!

I have a question about the commute to school. Is there anyone who takes the train/bus to campus who would be willing to share their experience with it? Specifically, is a 20ish minute train ride possible, or is it just too inconvenient your first year or two? If so, what would you all recommend in terms of commuting? The background is that my boyfriend has a job lined up near West Chester, and we are trying to figure out how plausible it would be to live together at a spot more in the middle for both of our commutes to school or work. Thank you in advance!
I take the Paoli/Thorndale line in every day. It’s totally doable. You will be less likely to want to stay late for events, but it’s definitely doable. I ride in from Paoli, but other classmates come from Thorndale (the very end of the line).