UPenn c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone, congrats to all who have been accepted! I just wanted to verify: do we not bring anything to the interview? (our application, resume etc). Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, congrats to all who have been accepted! I just wanted to verify: do we not bring anything to the interview? (our application, resume etc). Thank you!
I wouldn’t bring anything

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Same. I’m not like the cream of the crop, but I have a solid app and It really stumps me that I can’t even get an interview for the second year in a row as an IS applicant.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
Yep. In the exact same boat so far, unless I miraculously get an invite this week. I have no plan for the rest of my life if this doesn't work out. I went to Penn State, I've lived in PA my whole life, I called Rob to review my application from last cycle and took all of his suggestions. He even called it a "loving rejection" as in my app was fine but there were just too many applicants. I have tons of experience in an actual clinic. I'm starting to feel like I will either never be a vet or have to settle for moving very far away, which would suck because my husband has a very good job in this area.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using SDN mobile

• Sad
Reactions: 8 users
Hey guys! I’m sorry if this was asked before but I couldn’t find it. I have an interview Friday and I was wondering if there would be time for me to change into my interview clothes before the interview or should I come wearing them?

Hey guys! I’m sorry if this was asked before but I couldn’t find it. I have an interview Friday and I was wondering if there would be time for me to change into my interview clothes before the interview or should I come wearing them?
I would come in your interview attire. There isn’t really time to change and you’re talking with admissions reps or faculty basically all day so you want to look your best.

I would come in your interview attire. There isn’t really time to change and you’re talking with admissions reps or faculty basically all day so you want to look your best.
Thank you!!

What kind of bag do people tend to bring to the new Bolton day//do people bring bags?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I e-mailed Rob to check on my app and he said that the application reviewing process continues "well into February" and they can send out invites almost right to the end of that process.

Reactions: 3 users
I e-mailed Rob to check on my app and he said that the application reviewing process continues "well into February" and they can send out invites almost right to the end of that process.

Does this mean that they could still invite people in at least early February? I thought someone on this thread said that they have already set on having 6 interview dates this year... or was this like a polite way of saying "well I can't really tell you anything"? Just trying to be positive but at the same time I try not to set my hopes up too high

Does this mean that they could still invite people in at least early February? I thought someone on this thread said that they have already set on having 6 interview dates this year... or was this like a polite way of saying "well I can't really tell you anything"? Just trying to be positive but at the same time I try not to set my hopes up too high
He seems to be insinuating that invites could still be going out in February. Someone previously said that tomorrow is the last day they will be sending out invites, but I don't know where that information is coming from.

Members don't see this ad :)
To my knowledge, they have 6 set interview dates and can send you an invitation to those dates sporadically if people decline and they need to fill spots. So most people will hear a few weeks prior, but some may hear back very close to the interview date depending on the number of people who accept their interview invitation.

Does anyone know if invites went out today?

Any last minute interview advice?
Take a deep breath. Take several. Don’t be afraid to take a deep breath during the actual interview before you answer a question. There’s nothing wrong with clearing your mind and formulating a good response instead of just blurting something out and having to do damage control. Doctors do it all the time. A surgeon was literally operating on me, stepped away for a couple seconds to breathe, and came back to finish up. If they can do it, so can you.

Be honest. The interviewers don’t just want you to say what you think they want to hear. You’ll also have a much easier time digging deeper into the truth because you may be asked to do that. It’s difficult to expand upon a lie, especially when you’re on the spot. This sounds sort of obvious, but people totally embellish the truth or totally make stuff up when they can’t immediately think of an answer. It’s totally natural. But your answer will not be as good under the surface if you allow yourself to do that.

Also come to Happy Hour! Talk to us students in a relaxed setting where we have no say in anything that happens regarding admissions. Take the time to be yourself with us and see how it feels. Ask us deep questions about the school, philly, our lives, etc. It’s a good way to get the whole truth and to ask questions you felt weird asking admissions reps. Yes they’re extremely helpful and want you to be open with them, but you won’t be because you’re on edge and standoffish. So come to us, have a drink (or three), and know that you can be yourself with no consequences to your admissions decision.

Any last minute interview advice?

I pretend that I'm stuck in an elevator with a stranger and we're making small talk. Is that weird? What I really mean is that I try to think of it as a normal conversation. I have no idea if that makes any sense at all, lol... It was reassuring to me to remember that the interviewer is another human being, and they're genuinely interested in me and what I have to say; they don't want me to fail, they want me to succeed.

Another thing that helped me reduce my anxiety is remembering that you're there to interview them just as much as they are interviewing you. It's an entire day devoted to you learning about the school and whether it's a good fit for you. Use the opportunity to picture yourself there as a student, ask questions, and ultimately, make the correct decision for yourself.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone! Is today technically the last wave of interviews, meaning 6/6?

IS interview invite by email today for 2/14

Omg I’m praying please Upenn Gods

Guess this means I'm more than likely rejected :hungry:

Reactions: 2 users
Been hopeful long enough. Other schools see my potential, so it’s Penn’s loss. Movin’ on!!

Reactions: 7 users
To anyone who doesn’t get an interview or does not get admitted after an interview, there’s something to keep in mind about Penn. While we accept a similar percentage of applicants as other schools, we interview a pretty small number of people compared to our class size. Many schools interview 4x or more the number of students than their class size will be. I recall Western interviewing around 750 or so last year for a class size of just over 100. Penn interviews about 250 for a class size of ~125 (or less). I understand that this won’t make everyone feel better and it’s still extremely frustrating. I know. I got a good number of rejections and every single one hurt. But just understand that a rejection from any single school does not determine your worth as a person, or as a future doctor.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Hey guys, so Rob still made it seem that they were sending out interview invites until Mid- February. When I called to ask, he said that my application was Still Under Review. So I'm not giving up hope yet

Hey guys, so Rob still made it seem that they were sending out interview invites until Mid- February. When I called to ask, he said that my application was Still Under Review. So I'm not giving up hope yet
Yes just because you did not get an interview invite today does not mean you’re rejected yet. They can send out invites up to the day of the interview basically. The vast majority of invites go out in the waves three weeks before the interview date. Then, as people decline interviews, cancel, etc. they may send out more invites. I have a friend who received an invite three days before the last date two years ago. It can happen.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know what happens in the afternoon during the NBC day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OOS Acceptance after interviewing on Friday!!!!! Unreal!

Reactions: 10 users
Also OOS accepted!!!! I interviewed on Friday as well :love:

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
OOS interview invite.

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats everyone!!!! I know I’ve been on here a lot talking everyone’s ear off, but if anyone has any questions at all, feel free to ask either here or PM me. I’m happy to answer anything.

Anyone have a picture of the super old classroom (classroom A I think?)? I was trying to describe it to my grandmother and she really wants to see it. Please and thanks!

Anyone have a picture of the super old classroom (classroom A I think?)? I was trying to describe it to my grandmother and she really wants to see it. Please and thanks!

Hi GrandmaSC - sorry I didn't get a pic of the front of the room

Attachments

• IMG_20200110_134541.jpg
    IMG_20200110_134541.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20200110_134546.jpg
    IMG_20200110_134546.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 122
Thanks @Karensings2cats!!!! I remember seeing people taking pictures but stupidly didn’t have my phone on me.

OOS invite for 2/14 received today! Here's to hoping the holiday will have everyone in a good mood lol

Reactions: 6 users
For current students and successful applicants in this cycle - are the feedback from student ambasaadors during the interview activities (tours, social, etc.) considered when the adcom make a decision?

For current students and successful applicants in this cycle - are the feedback from student ambasaadors during the interview activities (tours, social, etc.) considered when the adcom make a decision?
Supposedly no. Though I imagine student ambassadors would say something if they saw a major red flag?

Admissions reps do have a say, but in a small-ish way. They don’t sit in on deliberations and can’t be solicited by adcom to give their opinion on anyone. They can really just voice concerns about someone or say that they really liked something. Their main role is to make you feel welcome at the school and answer any questions you have.

Admissions reps do have a say, but in a small-ish way. They don’t sit in on deliberations and can’t be solicited by adcom to give their opinion on anyone. They can really just voice concerns about someone or say that they really liked something. Their main role is to make you feel welcome at the school and answer any questions you have.
Can I just say that I interacted primarily with 3 ambassadors and they were amazing humans?? :love: