VMCVM c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emlady09

c/o 20..eventually
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my top choices for schools! Who else is applying this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm planning on applying here as well!!!

Me too! second time applying here. Was waitlisted for C/O 2022

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my top choices and I'm stoked to apply!

I will be applying for the 3rd time. I got interview waitlisted at VM this past cycle, so I'm hoping to make it further this time around! :D

Reactions: 2 users
This is one of my top choices! One of my undergrad classmates just became VMCVM class of 2022, and it would be pretty cool to run into them in two years :) (Obviously not my reason for choosing VMCVM, I just thought it was really funny that they got into my top choice school)

I'm currently an undergrad at Virginia Tech, and it's my in state school. Definitely would love to stay in Blacksburg to go to VMCVM :)

Does anyone know where to take their Medical terminology requirement?
Virginia Tech offers it online, I think usually it's offered during our winter semester, spring semester, and summer 2 session. But I'm pretty sure this new requirement isn't effective until next application cycle (2019/2020)

Does anyone know where to take their Medical terminology requirement?

Virginia Tech offers it online, I think usually it's offered during our winter semester, spring semester, and summer 2 session. But I'm pretty sure this new requirement isn't effective until next application cycle (2019/2020)
Technically this cycle is VMCAS 2019 so definitely double check that it’s NOT required for this cycle. The vmcas year is what the matriculation year is, NOT what year it is when you’re filling it out.

Technically this cycle is VMCAS 2019 so definitely double check that it’s NOT required for this cycle. The vmcas year is what the matriculation year is, NOT what year it is when you’re filling it out.
I looked on VMCAS and it didn't say it was required, however I am going to call them and see how that goes. I am trying to decide between VM and Kansas. The averaging of my grades may hurt me but my last 45 is great ( Hello Iowa :3) but my last semester was all A's and one B for grad ( curse you animal nutrition..I almost had you).

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked on VMCAS and it didn't say it was required, however I am going to call them and see how that goes. I am trying to decide between VM and Kansas. The averaging of my grades may hurt me but my last 45 is great ( Hello Iowa :3) but my last semester was all A's and one B for grad ( curse you animal nutrition..I almost had you).
Kansas State is definitely last 45 focused, I have no idea about vamd. Kansas State IS one of the more expensive OOS schools though (not sure about vamd) so definitely also compare tuition costs.

I do like that VMCVM looks at every application even if they don't make the GPA cut, not many schools do that. My top picks are Michigan, Iowa, LMU, and Wisconsin. My IS is UF but unlike previous cycles I'm not putting all my eggs into one basket, I am still applying to my IS though because tuition costs.

I emailed their admissions office and confirmed it does not go into effect until NEXT application cycle!

Reactions: 4 users
So glad it doesn't effect the upcoming seniors...there would be a lot of frenzy for those of us graduating from Virginia Tech this year

Reactions: 1 users
So glad it doesn't effect the upcoming seniors...there would be a lot of frenzy for those of us graduating from Virginia Tech this year

I was going to have to cram in a summer class at my undergrad... and the deadline closed a good 48 hours after I saw that VAMD had Medical Terminoogy listed! I’m glad that I don’t need it.

Best of luck to you all! VMCVM is definitely the best choice out there!

I will be applying for the 3rd time. I got interview waitlisted at VM this past cycle, so I'm hoping to make it further this time around! :D
I also got interview waitlisted last year and this is my third time applying as well! good luck to us both!

I emailed their admissions office and confirmed it does not go into effect until NEXT application cycle!

So I just got an email from Dr. Pelzer talking about the medical terminology requirement... anyone else confused? I'm thinking about calling and asking about that. It's listed as a pre-req on their website now.

So I just got an email from Dr. Pelzer talking about the medical terminology requirement... anyone else confused? I'm thinking about calling and asking about that. It's listed as a pre-req on their website now.

false alarm! it's not required until next year's cycle (i just called to confirm)

The last two times I applied here I heard in November about an interview (the first time) and a denial (second time). Had the interview in January. Hoping third times the charm!!

The last two times I applied here I heard in November about an interview (the first time) and a denial (second time). Had the interview in January. Hoping third times the charm!!

Looks like we are up against each other at several schools!! :p

Looks like we are up against each other at several schools!! :p

67e9.gif

Reactions: 7 users
How was the interview?

How was the interview?

VA-MD does MMI format. I also did an MMI format interview at Michigan State. I thought VA-MD's was significantly (actually, extremely) more difficult than MSU's. With that said, I was waitlisted after interview at VA-MD and accepted to Michigan State. Whether or not you think it's easy/hard is subjective.

VA-MD does MMI format. I also did an MMI format interview at Michigan State. I thought VA-MD's was significantly (actually, extremely) more difficult than MSU's. With that said, I was waitlisted after interview at VA-MD and accepted to Michigan State. Whether or not you think it's easy/hard is subjective.
Gross, I heard that form of interview is highly intimidating and tough! Schools that do that just want to see you sweat lol

Gross, I heard that form of interview is highly intimidating and tough! Schools that do that just want to see you sweat lol
The thing some people like better about MMIs though is that it’s a clean slate each room. So if you mess up on one question, the next interviewers don’t know anything about your previous round and answers.

My vet mentor always grilled me for interview practice. No one scares me like she does

The thing some people like better about MMIs though is that it’s a clean slate each room. So if you mess up on one question, the next interviewers don’t know anything about your previous round and answers.
Ah, I didn’t think about that side of it! I like the optimism you bring ;)

How was the interview?

It was the first school I had ever interviewed at so I had nothing to compare at the time. I enjoyed the MMI format. Like Ski said, it gave the opportunity to start fresh each room. The first few rooms were nerve racking, but then you get the hang of it and they seem easier as you go through. Granted I did get waitlisted, but Dr. Pelzer was great with the feedback. So this time if I can get another interview I feel more confident about it.

Haha a great mentor I would say! I need to work on my mock interviews.
I once told her she was a drill sergeant in her last life. She's made me a more confident person, but she is intimidating as all getout if we were looking at a case and she wanted to know what when and why afterwords. The best thing she did was have me keep case notes on all our non routine calls.

It was the first school I had ever interviewed at so I had nothing to compare at the time. I enjoyed the MMI format. Like Ski said, it gave the opportunity to start fresh each room. The first few rooms were nerve racking, but then you get the hang of it and they seem easier as you go through. Granted I did get waitlisted, but Dr. Pelzer was great with the feedback. So this time if I can get another interview I feel more confident about it.
This makes me feel a little better about the format! What kind of feedback did they give you?

I once told her she was a drill sergeant in her last life. She's made me a more confident person, but she is intimidating as all getout if we were looking at a case and she wanted to know what when and why afterwords. The best thing she did was have me keep case notes on all our non routine calls.
That’s awesome! I’m sure keeping a log of those cases helped with essays and will help a lot with interviews. I also try to document odd/interesting cases that have impacted my learning.

That’s awesome! I’m sure keeping a log of those cases helped with essays and will help a lot with interviews. I also try to document odd/interesting cases that have impacted my learning.
It has, I learned a lot about equine diseases and sports injuries. I also learned that an impaction colic can pass oil around it :/ so oil and some feces doesnt mean its passed.

One of the clinics I shadowed at for about a month or so ( very in demand for shadowing but they wrote me a ref letter) had everything from tiny baby lizards to owls come in and was the primary clinic for greyhound racing injuries. I kept a running notebook because you don't get to see some things again but if you do its great not to have to go searching.

I also was able to get good experience on the business side of things because our desk person went on maternity and I took over for her as well as being the mobile tech.

I wish my road to applying had been easier ( many hardships in undergrad kept shooting me down) but I wouldn't trade the experiences I've had.

It has, I learned a lot about equine diseases and sports injuries. I also learned that an impaction colic can pass oil around it :/ so oil and some feces doesnt mean its passed.

One of the clinics I shadowed at for about a month or so ( very in demand for shadowing but they wrote me a ref letter) had everything from tiny baby lizards to owls come in and was the primary clinic for greyhound racing injuries. I kept a running notebook because you don't get to see some things again but if you do its great not to have to go searching.

I also was able to get good experience on the business side of things because our desk person went on maternity and I took over for her as well as being the mobile tech.

I wish my road to applying had been easier ( many hardships in undergrad kept shooting me down) but I wouldn't trade the experiences I've had.
Sounds like you’ve had some versatile experiences that have grown you as an applicant!
I hope whatever you went through in undergrad is far in the past and you have learned to grow/recover from it.
I too went through some trying times, but it has made me resilient. Just keep your head up and get up more times than you fall, even if you need to put pride aside and get help from a lending hand!
I’m sure any vet school would be lucky to have you apart of their program.

Has anyone heard anything as of yet? I couldn't find this thread so I made one.

Has anyone heard anything as of yet? I couldn't find this thread so I made one.

There was a confirmation email that went out about a month-ish ago and invites will be going out late this month.

Hi y'all! I applied here OOS.
Same! I read a post from their admissions last year and apparently they wait until after finals to send out interview invites. I don't know if they have a separation from oos vs is but hopefully we'll all hear something then! :)

**still compulsively refreshing my email**

Applied OOS! This will be my last time applying most likely (was waitlisted first time applying).

It looks like last year invites went out on the Mon before Thanksgiving .

Reactions: 10 users