VMCVM Class of 2027 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone done the interview review and gotten in the next cycle. I remember during the preinterview zoom session she said you have higher chance of getting I think?
I did a interview review and still didn’t get in this cycle but I do think it was helpful

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone done the interview review and gotten in the next cycle. I remember during the preinterview zoom session she said you have higher chance of getting I think?
Yes, I did! It was very helpful, they went over each question and how to improve upon your responses with individual tips. Feel free to message me if you have any questions :)

The majority of people who do a review are accepted the next cycle. Like 90%+

It doesn't give you like extra points or anything. People who do reviews just have a specific idea of what they can do to improve their application, and for interviews received tailored advice about how to improve their performance so they tend to get better interview scores the next cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! If you the chance to do it, 100% do it! I was waitlisted last cycle and made sure to get feedback on this interview since it’s all they base acceptance off of after the first cutoff. Dr. Pelzer went through each question with me and told me what I did well and could improve. It definitely helped me with the MMI format and feeling more confident in my responses.

IS acceptance (MD)! Trying to figure out which admitted student day makes the most sense to go to - anybody know which one they are going to? I’d love to get to know some of my classmates :)

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know what time accepted students day activities begin and end or have some kind of time line?

IS acceptance (MD)! Trying to figure out which admitted student day makes the most sense to go to - anybody know which one they are going to? I’d love to get to know some of my classmates :)
Congrats! I’m also trying to figure that out:) I’d really love to go to the first one if I can make it work with my schedule

Is there a Facebook page for people who plan on attending VMCVM? I want to start meeting people and try to find some roommates for next year!

Reactions: 5 users
I’m trying to go February 24th!

Reactions: 1 users
Is it recommended to go to Student Day if we already plan to/have accepted our seat? It isn’t orientation, it’s for students who haven’t decided right?

To answer a few of the waitlist questions floating around:

I was IS (VA) waitlisted the last two years, and accepted this year. I was always comparing waitlist movement from previous years, but I want to warn everyone that it varies drastically year to year. For example, UMN OOS waitlist moved only ~4 spots a few years ago, typically it moves into the low 30s, but last year people in the 70s were pulled off it. It is completely random year by year. I was waitlisted there and don't know what to think, I'm just out of the "typical" range, but with these things there really is no typical number.

Historically, The VA waitlist hasn't moved much. Last year, Shelby told me that it usually moves 4-5 spots and it moved 4 spots before I stopped asking (mid-May). Two years ago, by April 7 they had nobody decline a spot from VA, and my rank was bad enough that I stopped asking. Historically, the MD waitlist moves more, but I don't know any specific numbers. I also have a friend who was ranked in the high teens last year and got off the OOS waitlist in mid-April. Yes, the IS waitlists don't typically move much, but every year is different and this could be the year that has tons of people pulled.

I know an IS applicant who was accepted this year, after 4 years of rejections (not even waitlists). They got in on their 5th try. If you know vet med is the place for you, keep trying! Eventually, an admissions committee will also recognize that you deserve to be there.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it recommended to go to Student Day if we already plan to/have accepted our seat? It isn’t orientation, it’s for students who haven’t decided right?
I didn’t go to accepted student day last year :) It is not orientation, that will occur the week before classes!

What’s the dress code like for lectures? It says in the student handbook that you must maintain a professional appearance, but I’m wondering how strict the daily dress code is? What do most students wear?

I’m currently taking a course that isn’t required by VA-MD. If I withdraw, would that affect my acceptance?

What’s the dress code like for lectures? It says in the student handbook that you must maintain a professional appearance, but I’m wondering how strict the daily dress code is? What do most students wear?
you can wear whatever — my usual attire is yoga pants and a hoodie 😂

Reactions: 2 users
just typical lab attire for labs — closed toed shoes, long pants, lab coat, etc.

Does anyone know what time accepted students day activities begin and end or have some kind of time line?
Hey! I reached out to Shelby - she said 8:30-9 to about 3
Is there a Facebook page for people who plan on attending VMCVM? I want to start meeting people and try to find some roommates for next year!
Also asked her about this and she said she is working on putting it together this week and will send it out when its ready!

I decided to go March 31st!

If anyone else is going March 31st let me know so we can meet up!

For those waitlisted,
I was reading through some things, and as someone who is very bummed to be on the waitlist myself and having doubts in my ability, this article really helped me regain perspective and actually feel a bit better.

The Wondrous Waitlist of Exceptional Students & What Admissions Committees Should Really Be Doing

Making it even just to the interview portion is amazing in itself with a 27% chance this year. To make it on the "dreaded" waitlist is even slimmer chances, and you should be proud to have come this far! Good luck to everyone accepted, waitlisted and declined!
It's not a matter of IF you get in it's WHEN.

If anyone is a MD applicant- my family actually moved to MD in October so I didn’t qualify for IS this year but I will when I apply again next cycle. What we’re the stats like for MD?

If anyone is a MD applicant- my family actually moved to MD in October so I didn’t qualify for IS this year but I will when I apply again next cycle. What we’re the stats like for MD?
Once in the interview stage, there were 83 applicants from Maryland with 30 seats to fill.

Hi! I'm OOS and was wondering if there was a current student who would be willing to answer a couple questions about the school. I won't be able to make it to a visiting day until the end of March so I wanted to start getting more information now 😅 I know there is a vet school resource form on SDN but I wasn't sure how up to date that is....

Hi! I'm OOS and was wondering if there was a current student who would be willing to answer a couple questions about the school. I won't be able to make it to a visiting day until the end of March so I wanted to start getting more information now 😅 I know there is a vet school resource form on SDN but I wasn't sure how up to date that is....
I’m no expert but we might have similar questions! What questions do you have?? I’ll be there on the 31st too :)

Last edited:
I’m no expert but we might have similar questions! What questions do you have?? I’ll be there on the 31st too :)
I thought about just typing them all out but then I realized there were too many so I just made a google doc. Feel free to look at it! I'm sure a lot of them will be answered eventually when I visit but I'm feeling impatient haha.

Hi!! Im a current first year, feel free to message me on here or my instagram is @futuredr.mantis (i check that more :))

I thought about just typing them all out but then I realized there were too many so I just made a google doc. Feel free to look at it! I'm sure a lot of them will be answered eventually when I visit but I'm feeling impatient haha.

I’m a current first year and I thought I’d answer what I could for you :)

I’m a current first year and I thought I’d answer what I could for you :)
This was so helpful thanks for answering Hugo17's questions!

Would you happen to have a copy of the first year's syllabi you could share? If not allowed, is there someone at the university you recommend contacting to see the syllabus?

This was so helpful thanks for answering Hugo17's questions!

Would you happen to have a copy of the first year's syllabi you could share? If not allowed, is there someone at the university you recommend contacting to see the syllabus?
You’re welcome! I’m glad it was helpful! I’ve never actually looked at the syllabus (presumably we have one somewhere), and I’m not technically sure if I’m allowed to share it online, but I can tell you that the classes for first year are Normal Animal (8 weeks) and Dealing with Threats (8 weeks) in the fall, and Moving (7 weeks) and Sensing and Seeing (9 weeks) in the spring.

You’re welcome! I’m glad it was helpful! I’ve never actually looked at the syllabus (presumably we have one somewhere), and I’m not technically sure if I’m allowed to share it online, but I can tell you that the classes for first year are Normal Animal (8 weeks) and Dealing with Threats (8 weeks) in the fall, and Moving (7 weeks) and Sensing and Seeing (9 weeks) in the spring.
I heard somewhere that you stay in the same classroom all day and the professors rotate. Is that true here and do you know of any other schools that have it set up that way?

I heard somewhere that you stay in the same classroom all day and the professors rotate. Is that true here and do you know of any other schools that have it set up that way?
Yep, that’s true. There’s one classroom for each year and the professors come in and out each hour. I honestly don’t know how it works elsewhere

I believe LSU has a similar setup.
It's less true for 3rd year unless you're a small animal tracker.

@Hugo17 I added a few things to your doc in red :)

I'm a second year student, so I figured I'd round out the responses with my two cents. My comments are in blue. :)

It looks like April 7th is the only day I can make work, so I will be there then!

I haven’t heard anyone get pulled of the list yet. Is anyone planning on giving up their seat as of now? I know a couple that got accepted to Wisconsin have already said they’re declining their spot.

Does anybody have any idea how many people are on each waitlist? Did they ever mentioned it?

Does anybody have any idea how many people are on each waitlist? Did they ever mentioned it?

They never specified length of waitlist as far as I am aware.
For Maryland: there were 83 interviews; with 30 accepted

Does anyone have any advice about housing? Is there anywhere to absolutely avoid? I'm looking to live alone with my cats.

I'm honestly thinking about getting an RV and camping nearby. Know anyone who's done that?

Does anyone have any advice about housing? Is there anywhere to absolutely avoid? I'm looking to live alone with my cats.

I'm honestly thinking about getting an RV and camping nearby. Know anyone who's done that?
I don’t think there is anywhere to avoid (terrace view gets mixed reviews), but i’d say if you’re looking for somewhere relatively cheap to live by yourself, hethwood is your best bet! Some of the other apartments can be a bit pricey to live in without roommates — the class facebook page which should be up soon has housing ads !!