VMCVM Class of 2027 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have any advice about housing? Is there anywhere to absolutely avoid? I'm looking to live alone with my cats.

I'm honestly thinking about getting an RV and camping nearby. Know anyone who's done that?
Id probably avoid an RV type situation— i’ve never heard of anyone doing that but there aren’t many locations that would allow that in this area. If RV parking is allowed, it’s specifically for football tailgates

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any advice about housing? Is there anywhere to absolutely avoid? I'm looking to live alone with my cats.

I'm honestly thinking about getting an RV and camping nearby. Know anyone who's done that?
How far out are you trying to camp? I think long term it might not be sustainable

How far out are you trying to camp? I think long term it might not be sustainable
30 minutes away

Cost for an RV plot is about $400/month including electric hookup. Instead of paying $1200-$1500 for a one bedroom that I will leave and never see again, I can invest in an RV for future travel for the same cost.

Thank you to the poster who recommended the Facebook group. I'm not on Facebook. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
30 minutes away

Cost for an RV plot is about $400/month including electric hookup. Instead of paying $1200-$1500 for a one bedroom that I will leave and never see again, I can invest in an RV for future travel for the same cost.

Thank you to the poster who recommended the Facebook group. I'm not on Facebook. :(
Christiansburg and Radford are significantly less expensive than living in Blacksburg. A couple of my classmates live in Radford, which is technically outside the 20 minute radius when on call during clinics, but clinicians have been understanding about it.

In theory an RV sounds like a cheaper alternative, but not sure it's feasible. I believe most RV campgrounds require you to move it every 30 days or so. A friend of mine has an RV that she lived in during clinics last summer so she could take her dogs on externals, but I didn't get the impression that she ever remotely considered living in it full time. At one RV park the wifi was so bad that she couldn't write records or really accomplish anything except when she was sitting in the clinic.

Reactions: 1 user
Christiansburg and Radford are significantly less expensive than living in Blacksburg. A couple of my classmates live in Radford, which is technically outside the 20 minute radius when on call during clinics, but clinicians have been understanding about it.
Thank you very much for this. I didn't know about the on call radius. Very helpful!

edit: I can't find anything online. Can OOS students change to IS?

Last edited:
edit: I can't find anything online. Can OOS students change to IS?
No. You sign a contract that you will be paying non-resident tuition for the duration of your education.

April 3rd cannot come fast enough!
I'm anxious to know how many are on the waitlist

I’m going to wait just to see where I am on the waitlist but I’ll be giving up my spot after April 3 so hopefully that helps someone else out

Has anybody on the waitlist either IS or OOS been offered a seat yet? I haven’t heard of anything but wanted to check

Last edited:
Nope (I'm on the IS waitlist), but tbh, I expect only the top 1 to maybe 5 people on the IS waitlist will hear anything back 🥴 I wish we knew how many people total are on the IS waitlist, other than just "it's shorter than previous years because we rejected some people this time around"

Nope (I'm on the IS waitlist), but tbh, I expect only the top 1 to maybe 5 people on the IS waitlist will hear anything back 🥴 I wish we knew how many people total are on the IS waitlist, other than just "it's shorter than previous years because we rejected some people this time around"
Yeah I agree. It's definitely frustrating trying to plan at the moment lol
I wonder the reasoning behind waiting until april 3rd to send out positions?

Yeah I agree. It's definitely frustrating trying to plan at the moment lol
I wonder the reasoning behind waiting until april 3rd to send out positions?
I'd imagine it's because people on the waitlist will often check in periodically to see if they've moved up the list at all. The waitlist probably won't move much until April, so they're saving everybody some time and trouble by just holding off.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd imagine it's because people on the waitlist will often check in periodically to see if they've moved up the list at all. The waitlist probably won't move much until April, so they're saving everybody some time and trouble by just holding off.
I suppose that does make sense

Hi everybody! I'm a VMCVM 2027 admit who's late to the SD network game so just saying hi!!

Accepted to my IS, thus declining my spot on the waitlist. Good luck everyone!

For those going to admitted applicants day, are you bringing guests (specifically parents)?

Hey everyone! I'm a 2nd year here at VMCVM and just wanted to check in! I know being waitlisted is very nerve wracking. I was #2 on the VA waitlist and did not receive my acceptance until JUNE. This was AFTER I received notification from Shelby that the class was full, so please don't lose hope and take care of your mental during this time!! I checked SDN every few hours especially after I got my waitlist placement which was not good for my mental health. Find and do things that bring you joy during this time!! If you need any encouragement or have any questions, please feel free to reach out. Shoutout my colleagues in this chat that have been answering everyone's questions!

Reactions: 2 users
Do y'all think they'll send the waitlist ranking in the morning?

Do y'all think they'll send the waitlist ranking in the morning?
I got the impression we would have to email directly if we wanted to know our position, but it's possible they'd send a link to check your spot or something I suppose

I got the impression we would have to email directly if we wanted to know our position, but it's possible they'd send a link to check your spot or something I suppose

The email says “we will send you your ranking”

so hopefully they send them at some point tomorrow as planned

Every other email from them has been in the afternoon so I’m assuming we will be informed later today

Does anyone know how much the MD IS waitlist moves? I couldn’t find info on that.

Does anyone know how much the MD IS waitlist moves? I couldn’t find info on that.
I emailed Shelby and she said that MD waitlist moves anywhere from 2-12 spots depending on the year.

Are any of you that are on the MD waitlist accepting offers elsewhere?

Does the OOS waitlist move? I got my ranking too
the OOS waitlist does move — it really varies year to year. VMCVM moves less then others because we are one of the more affordable OOS options

J Jonah Jameson Laughing GIF

Me when I saw my VA IS ranking (there is no way I will move off of it) (I will go elsewhere) (Best of luck to everyone who made it!) (I can't tell if the gif is working but it's j jonah Jameson laughing in spiderman 2)

Reactions: 1 users
Do they pull from the waitlist prior to the decisions deadline (April 15) or do they wait and then pull a few off after decisions?

I was rejected after interviews this year, but glad to hear people are being pulled off the waitlist.
Question for reapplicants, do most reapplicants get another interview chance when applying the second time for the next cycle??

I asked Shelby on the 6th to see if there was any movement, and she said there were no changes. I am the type of person that wants to check in every day but I don't want to be annoying lol. I've been checking these forums and dates from past years' forums rather often.

I'm MD IS #3

• Care
Just got email for interview review sessions!! Hope others attend too!

Reactions: 2 users
As of today no changes to the MD waitlist :/

• Care
Also, shelby said they will email everyone on the alternate list when they fill the class.

OOS acceptance this morning! Will be declining as I already committed, hope one of you gets the spot!