West Virginia SOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ramonmcguire

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about West Virginia SOM? I'm non-trad (much older) and interested in primary care, most likely in rural setting (though inner city would be fine too). Am bilingual (Span-English). Any other schools I should be looking at? Nova, of course, comes to mind.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, man...I live in Beckley about an hour away from the school, and I work with several Do's from this school, so I can give a little insight, I hope.
The purpose of this school is to provide primary care to southern WV, with heavy emphasis on primary care. ( Of course, I think that is true of all osteopathic schools). They have nice facilities, and are very much into the information age, with more and more going online all the time. I have visited there a few times, and the town of Lewisburg is a very nice small town. I will tell you, there is not much "night life" in this type of rural area. If you like to fish, hunt, hike, camp, or drive country roads, you will like it there.
The reason I want to go to school there is the DO's I have worked with from that school. They are very competent and very caring at the same time....It seems hard to create both in a doctor, but this school seems to have the knack for doing that. For a top notch education in rural primary care, for a non-traditional, older student, this is the place to be.
(guess you can tell, I am a big fan of this school). Definetly check it out, you will be impressed.

Thanks for the reply, t-nurse. I'm not into night life and definitely into hiking/camping/backpacking, so Lewisburg would be just fine. I live in Georgia and WVSOM has a reciprocal tuition arrangement, so I've been very interested in the school.