2021-2022 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m super grateful to have interviewed with WVSOM, but was anyone else thrown off by the format of the interview? I was expecting some explanation about their curriculum or clinical sites but didn’t feel like they covered this much or at all

Members don't see this ad.

I’m super grateful to have interviewed with WVSOM, but was anyone else thrown off by the format of the interview? I was expecting some explanation about their curriculum or clinical sites but didn’t feel like they covered this much or at all
Yeah I know what you mean. The website has a lot of info, but it doesn’t have some day to day info. Would love for a current student to jump in here.

Might have missed it, but is there any accepted applicant social media group or group message beyond the Facebook group?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There's a Fb but not sure about GroupMe

Can a current student comment on how the classes are?

Are any of them mandatory except labs?
Are any classes P/F?
What is the quiz/test schedule like?
Are tests made in boards question format?
Have you had ample time to study for boards/any dedicated time?
Yes, there are some mandatory classes.

All classes have a numeric grade, with the exception of clinical skills, which is P/F.

Depends on the course. When I was in preclinical years, we probably averaged a quiz/exam every 2-3 weeks. I know the new preclinical dean is trying to put all of them on Fridays. Wasn't the case when I was taking them.

Not really, at least in my opinion. They'll tell you they are but they're not really like boards at all speaking from experience. Some are, but a lot aren't. The timing of the exams mirrors boards though in regards to time/question.

Yeah, we had 8 weeks of dedicated. One of the big benefits of WVSOM imo. Plenty of time to teach yourself what you need.

Yeah I know what you mean. The website has a lot of info, but it doesn’t have some day to day info. Would love for a current student to jump in here.
What exactly are you looking for info on?

All classes have a numeric grade, with the exception of clinical skills, which is P/F.

Depends on the course. When I was in preclinical years, we probably averaged a quiz/exam every 2-3 weeks. I know the new preclinical dean is trying to put all of them on Fridays. Wasn't the case when I was taking them.

Not really, at least in my opinion. They'll tell you they are but they're not really like boards at all speaking from experience. Some are, but a lot aren't. The timing of the exams mirrors boards though in regards to time/question.

Yeah, we had 8 weeks of dedicated. One of the big benefits of WVSOM imo. Plenty of time to teach yourself what you need.
Thanks for all this! Just paid the deposit

I just made a GroupMe for the incoming class. Anyone can join!

You're invited to my new group 'WVSOM Class of 2026' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe

Received a II this morning but for their waitlist. Any idea on how many people get off the waitlist every year?

What percent of classes are mandatory?

Does anyone know how full the class is at this point? Are the remaining interviews for the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how full the class is at this point? Are the remaining interviews for the waitlist?
I received an interview invite on Wednesday (02/23) and my email said that they will only be interviewing for the waitlist here on out.

Got an II here recently and they mentioned it was basically an interview for the waitlist. Should I even bother interviewing if that’s the case? What are the chances of being taken off the waitlist?

Got an II here recently and they mentioned it was basically an interview for the waitlist. Should I even bother interviewing if that’s the case? What are the chances of being taken off the waitlist?
I mean do you want a chance at attending this school? If you are already accepted elsewhere and think you’d be better off somewhere else then it’s probably a waste of time. If you haven’t secured an A yet then what do you have to lose?

Reactions: 1 users
If anyone is interviewing on Monday (03/07) and wants to get dinner tomorrow or something (03/06), feel free to PM me!

Im confused about the interview day, on the school portal thing it says 8:15-11:15 am virtual individual applicant interview at designated time, does the interview day start at 8:15? Or is it 10:00am thats what the other email says? And how long is the actual interview?

Im confused about the interview day, on the school portal thing it says 8:15-11:15 am virtual individual applicant interview at designated time, does the interview day start at 8:15? Or is it 10:00am thats what the other email says? And how long is the actual interview?
So you would join in at ~9:55 AM EST.

For those that interviewed 03/07-03/11, has anyone gotten a decision?

For those that interviewed 03/07-03/11, has anyone gotten a decision?
I think they'll probably come next week. At my interview on 03/07, they had said there's a big deposit deadline on the 15th which was only yesterday so I imagine they were waiting for that first!

Has anyone who interviewed on 3/3 or 3/4 gotten a decision?

They review applicants on Tuesdays so we should likely hear back tomorrow or the day after

Just checked my application status and it says “alternate list.” Is that the waitlist? Has anyone else been put on it?

Just checked my application status and it says “alternate list.” Is that the waitlist? Has anyone else been put on it?
Mine also says the same thing. I just called and asked and the alternate list is the same is the waitlist!

Mine also says the same thing. I just called and asked and the alternate list is the same is the waitlist!

I wonder how much waitlist movement there is. I also thought they were interviewing for the next cycle?? I remember it being mentioned in the interview.

Got put on alternate list today interviewed at 2/24 no email yet I just checked the status portal. Any one know if we can expect any movment in the list?

• Sad
Hmm did you both get an email as well?
I did not get an email. Just my portal.
Got put on alternate list today interviewed at 2/24 no email yet I just checked the status portal. Any one know if we can expect any movment in the list?
I remember that in my interview, one of the staff members had said that they see a lot of movement in the waitlist in May. Nothing is guaranteed of course but that has been the trend so far

Last edited:
Accepted students join our GroupMe!

'WVSOM Class of 2026'

Do you think it is worth applying here if I have no rural experiences?

Pre-I R. Hope you this gives some reassurance to those on the waitlist that interviews have concluded!

Anyone else get an email offering a seat for the class of 2027? I got mine 3/28. It also stated that I have the opportunity to move up to the class of 2026 if space opens up.

Anyone else get an email offering a seat for the class of 2027? I got mine 3/28. It also stated that I have the opportunity to move up to the class of 2026 if space opens up.

Have you sent in a LOI or anything? I would love this offer too if they have it available i was recently WLed

Have you sent in a LOI or anything? I would love this offer too if they have it available i was recently WLed
I have not sent in a LOI, the email was labeled "WVSOM Alternative List" which is why I did not get too excited when I saw the "congratulations!" message, but in the email it said I was offered a seat for 2027, however the only instructions were to hold tight to see if I get offered a 2026 spot with the option to stay with 2027 if I so desired. I know during the info session they mentioned there was a chance that they would offer a 2027 seat but they made it seem like it was not a common thing for them to do.