2021-2022 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You know the crazy part? Nope. Masks, most places, yes. Every rotation I've had has been yes, except for 1 preceptor who would take it off as soon as he walked out of the patient's room. I always wear mine though. They're also not required on main campus.

Vaccines? Nope. It's mindboggling, but nope. They say that "some rotation sites might not allow you to rotate if you don't have it!", but they never required it as a school. It's optional. And the even sadder part is that I know multiple multiple people in my class who haven't gotten it. Why would you ever go into medicine if you don't believe in it?

I've said this before, but WVSOM 100% botched COVID response from the very beginning, and that remains true.
Thank you for your reply. As a future physician I believe that after counseling a patient about the pros and cons of any treatment, we must respect their choice even if we may not agree with it.

Members don't see this ad.

Just got the acceptance call as well! Interviewed 11/08.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone ever gotten their acceptance on a Thursday or am I out of luck with no call today? Seems like people who interviewed on 11/4 and 11/8 were called.

Anyone ever gotten their acceptance on a Thursday or am I out of luck with no call today? Seems like people who interviewed on 11/4 and 11/8 were called.
One of the faculty told me originally that I would hear Thursday/Friday so don’t lose hope!

One of the faculty told me originally that I would hear Thursday/Friday so don’t lose hope!
Same but everyone in this thread got the call on Wednesday and only denial emails on Thursday so I’m pretty bummed.

Imagine how I felt when I got an email inviting me to an open house.................... still waiting to hear back for an II. Sucks

Reactions: 2 users
I received an invite to go to their open house? Any benefit you think to me going to this or is this just them trying to get people to visit?

I received an invite to go to their open house? Any benefit you think to me going to this or is this just them trying to get people to visit?
I guess for the benefit of learning more about the school/program, then sure that can be a plus. In terms of it adding to the probability of you being accepted, I couldn’t answer that. I didn’t go to one and I got accepted. But then again, I do not know your background . Regardless, I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt to go.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! For those who have been accepted, another member here was kind enough to make a Facebook page for our class. Here is the link! WVSOM Class of 2026

Withdrawing my A, hope it goes out to one of you !!
Good luck future doctors :)

• Care
I'm a current 3rd year who just took COMLEX and started rotations. I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has!
I just accepted a seat at WVSOM and I am really interested in the statewide campus approach that they are using. They told me that they only use a lottery if too many people want the same sites. I am a non-trad and will probably have to buy a home near the campus. Do you think everyone gets there 1st - 3rd choice without the use of lottery, or is everyone pretty much fighting for the same spot?

Thanks so much for your willingness to answer our questions!

Would people who got accepted mind sharing their stats/ECs? I am interested in applying here soon and would like to get an idea if I'm competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would people who got accepted mind sharing their stats/ECs? I am interested in applying here soon and would like to get an idea if I'm competitive.
I am super non-trad so I don't know how helpful my stats will be.... I have 501, slightly above 3.2 sGPA, first time applicant. I'm pretty average all the way around as far as tests and stuff, but I have a decade of experience in the medical field and I manage the radiology students at my hospital. I really feel that this school likes non-trad because they asked me about my experiences in medicine a lot during the interview. Hope that is somewhat helpful!

I am super non-trad so I don't know how helpful my stats will be.... I have 501, slightly above 3.2 sGPA, first time applicant. I'm pretty average all the way around as far as tests and stuff, but I have a decade of experience in the medical field and I manage the radiology students at my hospital. I really feel that this school likes non-trad because they asked me about my experiences in medicine a lot during the interview. Hope that is somewhat helpful!
I am non-trad as well. So no worries! Thanks for your input!!!

I'm also non-traditional but I am more than happy to share my stats if it can help someone else!
I'm an OOS applicant who went to another WV college for undergrad and have family ties in WV.
Stats:
  • I have well over 200 credits from 2 different majors, not including my post-bacc, so getting my GPA to budge was a nightmare
  • undergrad science ~3.3
  • post-bacc science slightly better at ~3.5
  • Cumulative GPA ~3.2
  • Post-bacc GPA ~3.6
  • First MCAT 505 and second 504 (yeah, I know). For what it is worth, during my interview, they asked why I retook the MCAT because my first score was fine.
EC:
  • ~300 hours non-medical volunteering
  • 200 hours of kind-of-medical volunteering
  • ~3500 hours scribing
  • 2000 hours of research. I also had updates with manuscript submissions/acceptances.
  • I've worked other non-medical jobs since I was in high school and have a lot of leadership experience. I second what Radchick said about them asking a lot of questions about my medical experience and being interested in that.

Last edited:
Withdrew my A. Good luck future docs

I was accepted a few weeks ago and placed my deposit today

OOS with no ties
1 full year of full time medical assisting experience
3.74 GPA, 3.6 science GPA
508 MCAT first attempt

You know the crazy part? Nope. Masks, most places, yes. Every rotation I've had has been yes, except for 1 preceptor who would take it off as soon as he walked out of the patient's room. I always wear mine though. They're also not required on main campus.

Vaccines? Nope. It's mindboggling, but nope. They say that "some rotation sites might not allow you to rotate if you don't have it!", but they never required it as a school. It's optional. And the even sadder part is that I know multiple multiple people in my class who haven't gotten it. Why would you ever go into medicine if you don't believe in it?

I've said this before, but WVSOM 100% botched COVID response from the very beginning, and that remains true.
Masks are 100% required on the main campus, especially when indoors...

I feel like WVSOM has done quite well with COVID response: class reps & WVSOM faculty meet every week to discuss plans for on-campus activities and any other news pertaining to COVID

Sincerely, a 2nd year @ WVSOM

Last edited:
While I absolutely love this school and have had such a tough time deciding, I believe I will be withdrawing my acceptance today to accept an offer that would allow me to stay close to home. I hope the spot goes to one of you!

I'm a current 3rd year who just took COMLEX and started rotations. I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has!
So in regards to rotations, I heard they are all in-state which is amazing! But how does housing work while you are doing rotations, are you expected to commute, or is housing provided for you? I'm wondering bc if I attend I will be coming with my SO and she works in healthcare so I want to know beforehand if she will keep having to leave positions to come with me for rotations.

Also, how is the cost of living in the area around campus, and just West Virginia in general?

II today. OOS, 506, 3.89, secondary submitted mid-October.

What’s the virtual interview process like? What’s the agenda and timings?

What’s the virtual interview process like? What’s the agenda and timings?
I interviewed in November! The interview was first and I was interviewed by 3 different faculty. Relatively short interview, but definitely loaded with questions. Most people on SDN reported the interview to be low stress but I felt the opposite. My grades/withdrawals and MCAT scores were the big questions and I felt that there were only a few open ended questions where I could speak about myself. Afterwards you speak with 2 current students and ask questions which I loved. Then you speak w/ the dean and I think someone from admissions about the school and ask more questions. I got the A 6 days later!

I interviewed in November! The interview was first and I was interviewed by 3 different faculty. Relatively short interview, but definitely loaded with questions. Most people on SDN reported the interview to be low stress but I felt the opposite. My grades/withdrawals and MCAT scores were the big questions and I felt that there were only a few open ended questions where I could speak about myself. Afterwards you speak with 2 current students and ask questions which I loved. Then you speak w/ the dean and I think someone from admissions about the school and ask more questions. I got the A 6 days later!
Oh okay thank you!! So like 8-2ish total time? And congrats on the A!

I’m pretty sure I was done around noon actually!

Interviewed yesterday morning, II 12/9. They said in the interview they meet each week to go over decisions. Love this program!

I got an II, but waiting for this upcoming week to hear back, took MCAT three times, last time 514, uGPA 3.01, masters GPA 3.3. Both with upward trends. Lots and lots of clinical experience and connections to rural medicine.

Got the call for the A earlier today! Interviewed 1/14, OOS, 3.89, 506, MD LOR

I got an II, but waiting for this upcoming week to hear back, took MCAT three times, last time 514, uGPA 3.01, masters GPA 3.3. Both with upward trends. Lots and lots of clinical experience and connections to rural medicine.
Update, admitted today!

Masks are 100% required on the main campus, especially when indoors...

I feel like WVSOM has done quite well with COVID response: class reps & WVSOM faculty meet every week to discuss plans for on-campus activities and any other news pertaining to COVID

Sincerely, a 2nd year @ WVSOM
To be fair, when I posted this there was no mask mandate. I'm glad they require them again on campus. Honestly, it has been a lot better with the new administration of the school this year. Back when I was a first year and especially the beginning of last year, it was beyond negligible how they treated it, so I'm glad it seems to have improved in that time. COVID has been a thing for over 2 years now, I was mostly referring to experiences from my first year.

But still not having a vaccine mandate is embarrassing. and I stand by that

Thought I got an II, but it was an invite for fireside chat. Did everyone get this? :oops:

Two of my LOR’s were uploaded to my portal last Thursday, is this the case for anyone else?