West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

Started by DOthreads
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Submitted last night, decision deferred this morning. lol FML!!!!!
Don't worry too much about that just yet as even before I submitted my application I just was playing around looking and everything and it said decision deferred before my secondary was even submitted.
 
Don't worry too much about that just yet as even before I submitted my application I just was playing around looking and everything and it said decision deferred before my secondary was even submitted.
What does that mean if it says that though
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What does that mean if it says that though

To answer only what decision deferred means - this was taken from the wvsom faq page:


The "decision deferred" status indicates a hold status. The Admissions Committee will periodically revisit files which were initially deferred. For example, your application may be placed on hold because we are awaiting official MCAT scores or fall grades. Your file could also be on hold if the committee is unable to reach a decision at the time of review. Any changes in your status will be communicated by e-mail.
 
To answer only what decision deferred means - this was taken from the wvsom faq page:


The "decision deferred" status indicates a hold status. The Admissions Committee will periodically revisit files which were initially deferred. For example, your application may be placed on hold because we are awaiting official MCAT scores or fall grades. Your file could also be on hold if the committee is unable to reach a decision at the time of review. Any changes in your status will be communicated by e-mail.
Thanks!
 
To answer only what decision deferred means - this was taken from the wvsom faq page:


The "decision deferred" status indicates a hold status. The Admissions Committee will periodically revisit files which were initially deferred. For example, your application may be placed on hold because we are awaiting official MCAT scores or fall grades. Your file could also be on hold if the committee is unable to reach a decision at the time of review. Any changes in your status will be communicated by e-mail.
I read that too but I'm a little confused because it also said any decision would be emailed so I'm just going to wait and see what happens for just a little bit before I make a decision that it is deferred....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just checked my application status on their page and I saw it changed from "in process - decision pending" to just "decision pending". I bet I'm about to get a hold status soon.
 
I just checked my application status on their page and I saw it changed from "in process - decision pending" to just "decision pending". I bet I'm about to get a hold status soon.

For what its worth, check the "checklist" page. I have "in process" for "application status", and "In process - Decision pending" for "Decision". Weird..
 
For what its worth, check the "checklist" page. I have "in process" for "application status", and "In process - Decision pending" for "Decision". Weird..

Earlier in the week, I had that exact same thing. But, I just checked (you sparked my interest) and on my checklist page "Application Status" says "In Process" and "Decision" now just says "Decision Pending". I think odd, but I also think it's a sign that someone is looking through the applications.
 
Earlier in the week, I had that exact same thing. But, I just checked (you sparked my interest) and on my checklist page "Application Status" says "In Process" and "Decision" now just says "Decision Pending". I think odd, but I also think it's a sign that someone is looking through the applications.
Theyre really receptive to emails here too if you have questions
 
For what its worth, check the "checklist" page. I have "in process" for "application status", and "In process - Decision pending" for "Decision". Weird..
Does anyone happen to know if WVSOM sends an email or anything to let you know your file is complete?
 
Last edited:
Anyone notice how they say in bold on the email that they wont updat LOR prior to interviews, but then update it anyway lol
 
Just checked and my lors are blank. I submitted the same day as the secondary.


I submitted my secondary a while ago and my LOR is blank too. I had mine sent via US mail and I emailed them and they said they were in the process of updating applications with LORs that were received before the primaries
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I submitted my secondary a while ago and my LOR is blank too. I had mine sent via US mail and I emailed them and they said they were in the process of updating applications with LORs that were received before the primaries

Awesome, thanks for letting us know!
 
Like yankees527 reported yesterday, they just added my two Lors to my checklist. They sent me two identical e-mail saying that they updated my checklist.
 
I got the same thing today too! Do you think it was just an error or that we are getting invites today? My LORs were sent via interfolio.
 
Thats what i was REALLY hoping for hahha
I thought maybe it meant IIs soon, they do specifically mention they won't update until an interview decision is made….. I think we're all in the running. Seems like they deferred a couple people early on so I'll just take it as a good omen that we haven't been put on a hold yet.
 
Didn't know they required DO letter until spending the entire day working on their secondary...
 
I thought maybe it meant IIs soon, they do specifically mention they won't update until an interview decision is made….. I think we're all in the running. Seems like they deferred a couple people early on so I'll just take it as a good omen that we haven't been put on a hold yet.
Hmmm. It would be interesting to know if the people on hold had their letters uploaded......anyone?
 
Well guys good luck, on the interviews. I was accepted from last years alternate list after a late application and hope things go smoother for everyone getting things done early in the cycle. Hope to see you at WVSOM next year, if you have any questions about anything feel free to ask.
 
Hi all,

So my top school is WVSOM and I recently got an email from them saying my LORs had not been received. I know I had them sent at the beginning of the summer. So I called and they looked around only to discover that all three authors had spelled my last name incorrectly! (A misplaced "h") luckily they updated my file and I was assured that this would not affect their decision too much. However I wanted to know what everyone thought, how will this affect their decision on me?

cGPA: 3.43
sGPA: 3.44
MCAT: 24 (7V/8PS/9BS)
WV Resident

Thanks!
 
Hi all,

So my top school is WVSOM and I recently got an email from them saying my LORs had not been received. I know I had them sent at the beginning of the summer. So I called and they looked around only to discover that all three authors had spelled my last name incorrectly! (A misplaced "h") luckily they updated my file and I was assured that this would not affect their decision too much. However I wanted to know what everyone thought, how will this affect their decision on me?

cGPA: 3.43
sGPA: 3.44
MCAT: 24 (7V/8PS/9BS)
WV Resident

Thanks!
I am pretty sure you are fine, don't worry
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad