West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II Sept 12! Second interview so excited!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
anybody look and see how expensive it is to fly into WV. Anyone have other ideas of how to get there?

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody look and see how expensive it is to fly into WV. Anyone have other ideas of how to get there?
Ill be driving from Indiana, but you could also try flying into DC and driving. It's not too far to WVSOM.

I'm interviewing the same day! I plan on flying into the nearest major airport and renting a car. I am definitely down to carpool, clown car style.

ii sept 17! Here are my stats 26MCAT, 3.24cGPA, 3.23sGPA, and 3.55 post-bac GPA

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats everyone! Did anyone get an interview without LORs?

Congrats everyone! Did anyone get an interview without LORs?
I had LORs but thy were all uploaded to VE before my primaries even went in. I'm not exactly sure what their policy is

I would fly either to Charleston, WV or Roanoke, VA. I personally would choose Roanoke as it's closer and there are no tolls on the way to Lewisburg. You can fly into Lewisburg or Beckley, WV but they have small airports and it will be more expensive. I'm just starting at WVSOM now as a first year, good luck to you all! I'll browse this thread from time to time to answer questions if you have any.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would fly either to Charleston, WV or Roanoke, VA. I personally would choose Roanoke as it's closer and there are no tolls on the way to Lewisburg. You can fly into Lewisburg or Beckley, WV but they have small airports and it will be more expensive. I'm just starting at WVSOM now as a first year, good luck to you all! I'll browse this thread from time to time to answer questions if you have any.

can u comment on the diversity of the student body at wvsom?

Thanks. I looked at charleston and roanoke, but flying to washington is still a ton cheaper

Thanks. I looked at charleston and roanoke, but flying to washington is still a ton cheaper

True, but then you have an additional 3-4 hour drive from DC to Lewisburg which means more money on gas/snacks. Maybe it's still cheaper accounting for that. I did take a trip from Lewisburg to DC over the summer, it's a nice drive!

Last edited:

I've met most of my classmates and our class is extremely diverse. We have people from a number of different ethnic and professional backgrounds. We have people in our class that are PAs, pharmacists, EMTs, paramedics, nurses, etc, as well as students fresh out of college (the youngest kid I met is 21). The other interesting thing is the average age of our class is probably 26-28? So we have a fair number of students that are older and they bring an interesting perspective to our class. Hopefully that answered your question :)

I've met most of my classmates and our class is extremely diverse. We have people from a number of different ethnic and professional backgrounds. We have people in our class that are PAs, pharmacists, EMTs, paramedics, nurses, etc, as well as students fresh out of college (the youngest kid I met is 21). The other interesting thing is the average age of our class is probably 26-28? So we have a fair number of students that are older and they bring an interesting perspective to our class. Hopefully that answered your question :)

thanks for the response. can you also describe how rural the location is and how that affects your med school experience?

If you are from a large city, coming here may be a shock. Each person is different though. For me, I grew up in a town of 2000 people and went to college in a town of 5000 people (similar to Lewisburg). My college town didn't have a Walmart or Target and you had to drive 1 hour to get to one. The nice thing about Lewisburg is it has a Walmart and everything you need so you don't have to drive out of town if you didn't want to. There are a couple bars for having a few brews and the town itself puts on several events throughout the year to engage the community. If you like the outdoors, the things to do here are endless (white water rafting, hiking, climbing, etc, etc).

So, yes it's rural, but I wouldn't have it any other way. The people here in Lewisburg are extremely nice and caring and the crime rate is basically non-existent. How has this affected my med school experience? Well, we just started so I can't comment too much, but I would say in a positive way so far. Remember, the reason you're going to medical school is to study and learn the material to become a superb physician. Studying in a rural town is great because the distractions are limited, yet there are still things to do if you can't fit another hour of studying into your head.

I can go into specifics but that's the jist of it.

Reactions: 1 users
@Tri4thlete do you have any recommendations on hotels for interviews that are relatively close to campus (10-15 minutes)?

Edit: found a good $90/night deal at the Holiday Inn Express about 2 miles from campus.

Last edited:
Yep that's perfect, a few of the people who interviewed the same day as me stayed there and they liked it. I stayed at the Fairfield Inn which was really really nice. They just built it not too long ago so everything is new. But I bet the holiday inn is probably cheaper so that's the route I would take.

Hey guys! Just like a lot of you this is my first choice school. Does anyone know the approximate timeline between submitting your secondary and receiving an II? I submitted today.

Good luck to all of you!

Hey guys! Just like a lot of you this is my first choice school. Does anyone know the approximate timeline between submitting your secondary and receiving an II? I submitted today.

Good luck to all of you!
I was complete 7/29 and II on the 8th.

Does anyone know if you're REQUIRED to practice rural medicine after attending this school? It seems great and I know they focus on rural medicine but I have always had aspirations for docs without boarders and other programs like this.

Does anyone know if you're REQUIRED to practice rural medicine after attending this school? It seems great and I know they focus on rural medicine but I have always had aspirations for docs without boarders and other programs like this.
Nope, there's no requirement. I think they just tend to attract students who are interested in it. That being said, most of the time it doesn't get much more rural than MSF!

Haha point taken, I just needed to know if I am pretty much going to be stuck afterwards. It sounds like an amazing school and I am hoping to land an acceptance here!

For those offered ii's, could you share your stats? I have a 3.31 sgpa and a 3.48 cgpa with an EXTREME upward trend (last 3 semesters: 4.0, 3.7, 3.6) and an mcat scheduled for august, with a late app. Also have a disadvantaged background and an extremely unique extra-curricular list as well as extensive work experience in leadership positions (property manager of several houses, clothing line founder-35k revenue, and just started last year, etc). Also have 450+ shadowing hours (d.o and m.d) 250+ volunteer hours. Would really love an offer here based on all the good things I've heard for current and past students.

I'm also a current first year. During orientation, they actually polled our class and I think around 58% were 21-24. Rest of the class was older. That should give you an idea on age spread but each class is different.

Ill be driving from Indiana, but you could also try flying into DC and driving. It's not too far to WVSOM.

I've found that this travel matrix is rather helpful while trying to find flights to more remote destinations. This

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/search.htm

And www.expertflyer.com. See what the gate agents see...so when you're flight gets cancelled you can all your airline with your new route. They love it when others do the legwork...

I'm also a current first year. During orientation, they actually polled our class and I think around 58% were 21-24. Rest of the class was older. That should give you an idea on age spread but each class is different.
i was referring more to the cultural diversity

II!!!!!!!!!!!! Second one of this season...scheduled for September 26! Anyone else interviewing that day?

Anybody have any idea about what the acceptance rate post-interview is like at WVSOM?

Ive read 600 interviews, 400 acceptances.

So pretty good odds

That actually helps me feel better about my upcoming interview. Last night I started googling around to look for medical school interview books and I'll admit I started to get just a little flustered. There were so many, and not enough of them had high enough of ratings that I could feel good around spending the money to get a very tiny book. I think now I can feel better about how I'm still reading "The DOs by Norman Gevitz" and skim the questions posted in the interview section in my free time before I buckle down.

That actually helps me feel better about my upcoming interview. Last night I started googling around to look for medical school interview books and I'll admit I started to get just a little flustered. There were so many, and not enough of them had high enough of ratings that I could feel good around spending the money to get a very tiny book. I think now I can feel better about how I'm still reading "The DOs by Norman Gevitz" and skim the questions posted in the interview section in my free time before I buckle down.
I've read the DOs a couple times, its an awesome read!! Definitely recommend for anyone that hasn't had a chance to pick up a copy yet. How're you liking it?

I've read the DOs a couple times, its an awesome read!! Definitely recommend for anyone that hasn't had a chance to pick up a copy yet. How're you liking it?

I'm really enjoying it! It's not an amazing page turner but it is very enjoyable. I had to take my car in to get one of it's tire replaced and I had just reached the spot where Still received his new nickname of "Lightening Bonesetter"; they called my name to come get my car and leave and I literally wanted to ask them to wait until I finished the page. I was floored when I read how they had several women among the first ever class of osteopathic physicians. I think I'm going to research some of the women and I'm thinking of possibly using one of them to answer the common "who would you eat dinner with alive or dead?" question.

I'm flying into lynchburg, that was the cheapest for me with a 2 hr drive. Apparently I'm transferring to a propeller plane in Charleston, didn't know I booked Wright Bros. Airlines...

Yup, flight to dc then a 4 hour drive. At least people are saying its a nice drive!
I'm getting so impatient! I'd drive up there tonight if they told me I could interview tomorrow lol

7 hour drive for me. Not paying $600 for a flight. No way lol.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm having problems answering #3 in the secondary: "Describe an ethically challenging situation you have been in, and how you responded."
To me, "ethically challenging" sounds like a serious challenge to my personal morals or sense of right and wrong and honestly that hasn't happened to me yet! Am I thinking about this as too large scale? Does anyone have any suggestions for scaling this down a bit. I am just so stuck and having the worst time trying to brainstorm. Any suggestions of where to start or different ways this could be phrased that may help my thinking would be invaluable.

I'm having problems answering #3 in the secondary: "Describe an ethically challenging situation you have been in, and how you responded."
To me, "ethically challenging" sounds like a serious challenge to my personal morals or sense of right and wrong and honestly that hasn't happened to me yet! Am I thinking about this as too large scale? Does anyone have any suggestions for scaling this down a bit. I am just so stuck and having the worst time trying to brainstorm. Any suggestions of where to start or different ways this could be phrased that may help my thinking would be invaluable.
I used an anecdote from an EC that was personal and definitely didn't have any kind of life and death impact on anyone, but I thought it demonstrated a growth I made from it. I don't think they're looking for anything huge.

I had a really hard time with this too. I ended up using an anecdote from my job where I confronted someone who was much more experienced than me about not following an important protocol.

Usually this is where you show them that you did the right thing in a difficult situation. Where lying, cheating and etc could have been used.