West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

Started by DOthreads
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I used an anecdote from an EC that was personal and definitely didn't have any kind of life and death impact on anyone, but I thought it demonstrated a growth I made from it. I don't think they're looking for anything huge.
I had a really hard time with this too. I ended up using an anecdote from my job where I confronted someone who was much more experienced than me about not following an important protocol.
Thanks so much! I actually ended up figuring out what to write about after some more brain storming. It just took me FOREVER to come up with.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can any of the current students comment on the type of questions asked in the interview?

You can look through the thread from last year, but I remember the following:

1) Why DO
2) Why WVSOM
3) Are you able to thrive in a small community such as Lewisburg? (people who only lived in large cities may have a hard time adjusting to a small community, they want to make sure it doesn't inhibit you from learning).
4) Person specific type of question

Most of the classmates I talked to about the interview had questions 1-3, then they had something that was specific to them, such as something on their application. I highly recommend knowing your application material well (be ready to talk about any volunteering you did, how you did in a specific class, etc.). I remember my specific question was something along the lines of "How are you able to take a lot of detailed information and formulate a large picture."

Overall though guys, it was a VERY relaxed interview. The faculty at this school are great and are certainly not trying to trick you or make you feel nervous. During a portion of mine we were talking about golf and getting the chance to play at the Greenbrier course (the PGA tour comes to White Sulphur Springs which is the next town over). Just be yourself and you will do well!
 
Did anybody struggle to write something unique for the 1st Q: Why do you want to be an osteopathic physician?
I feel like my response widely describes osteopathic medicine (hands-on care, OMM etc.)! couldn't think much when there is a 500 ch limit 🙁 :help:
 
Did anybody struggle to write something unique for the 1st Q: Why do you want to be an osteopathic physician?
I feel like my response widely describes osteopathic medicine (hands-on care, OMM etc.)! couldn't think much when there is a 500 ch limit 🙁 :help:

My issue wasn't writing something unique, it was answering that question in 500 effing characters. I really don't think there's a way to make your answer "unique" here. I'd imagine they're looking for awareness of the osteopathic profession and not some creative masterpiece.
 
My issue wasn't writing something unique, it was answering that question in 500 effing characters. I really don't think there's a way to make your answer "unique" here. I'd imagine they're looking for awareness of the osteopathic profession and not some creative masterpiece.
I spent like 45 min to edit cause I initially wrote 1000 ch! Thanks for your response 🙂 Good luck
 
So I checked on my portal today and my LORs were updated onto it. I also got the email saying interfolio LORs are only updated preceding to an interview invite. Does this mean that I may be getting an II soon?!!
 
So I checked on my portal today and my LORs were updated onto it. I also got the email saying interfolio LORs are only updated preceding to an interview invite. Does this mean that I may be getting an II soon?!!
Lol go look back in the thread, i had the same question and got an ii. I think its a good sign 🙂
 
So I checked on my portal today and my LORs were updated onto it. I also got the email saying interfolio LORs are only updated preceding to an interview invite. Does this mean that I may be getting an II soon?!!

Yes same thing happened to me and I called - they said they will be emailing me about an interview in the next week or two!! So it looks good!
 
Yes same thing happened to me and I called - they said they will be emailing me about an interview in the next week or two!! So it looks good!
They "will" as in you are guaranteed an interview?! wow they really do know how to get you excited for their school haha
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They "will" as in you are guaranteed an interview?! wow they really do know how to get you excited for their school haha
Yeah they literally said, wait a week or two for an email to schedule the interview so they guaranteed I would get it!
 
Hey guys! If you check your portal under "Check Application Status" it will say if you've been granted an interview. I just checked mine and I didn't even get an email about it haha. Anyone interviewing on 10/1?
 
Hey guys! If you check your portal under "Check Application Status" it will say if you've been granted an interview. I just checked mine and I didn't even get an email about it haha. Anyone interviewing on 10/1?
I'm so glad I read that because I checked and I got one too! Got it for 9/29, applying from Maryland, 3.3/32. Can't wait! I have to make sure it doesn't conflict with any exams because I'm in an SMP program but if not, I'll be there that day 🙂 So, so excited...first II of the cycle.
 
I mean where do you start. I have dealt with everything from cheating to abortion but every time I read it back I seem like a jerk.

Idk, I kept on feeling that I was being too polarizing. I just made a simple story of how I kept things simple and good triumphed over evil.

Honestly the question is beyond dumb but whatever.
 
Can any of the current students comment on the type of questions asked in the interview?

Be ready with a short blurb to answer, "So tell me about yourself." I got that question but my friend who interviewed on a different day did not. Doesn't hurt to be prepared just in case though.
 
For those who are planning to attend the 10/3 interview, how are you guys getting to the school? Coming from the west coast, my flight choices are very limited and pricy!
 
Hey guys! If you check your portal under "Check Application Status" it will say if you've been granted an interview. I just checked mine and I didn't even get an email about it haha. Anyone interviewing on 10/1?

Holy crap. I just read your post, then checked my portal. I will be interviewing 9/29! Thank you for the update.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are we suppose to get any emails from the school regarding the interview information such as hotel list, interview day itinerary?

Or just that date given in the portal and we are just suppose to start arrange everything?
 
I have the same question. I was planning to call tomorrow, unless someone else already knows the answer. Maybe they will snail mail interview invites and the schedule? I can't imagine they would only notify via the portal.
 
Don't worry, you will get an e-mail with specific instructions regarding your interview invitation. They sent me an e-mail that requested I read and agree to several forms, it mentioned when and where to meet on your interview day, requesting you pay their secondary application's fee, provided directions, and offered several links regarding accommodations - one is the visitors guide, most are to the surrounding airports, and the last one is a cosmic cab company.
 
Are we suppose to get any emails from the school regarding the interview information such as hotel list, interview day itinerary?

Or just that date given in the portal and we are just suppose to start arrange everything?
I had some of the same questions, and a lot of it was in that first email with the invite (I was a little too excited and forgot to read the whole thing.... Oops!) but we are to meet at the admissions building at 10 AM on the interview day. The General Lewis Inn is supposed to be a pretty cool place and I believe they have a WVSOM discount as well. Anybody interviewing 9/12 that wants to grab a bite the night before?
 
Did anyone else get an interview invite soon after submitting the secondary? I submitted mine August 17th, and today I received an e-mail that told me that I was scheduled for an interview on September 28th.

I wasn't expecting to hear back from them for another month :wideyed:
 
Did anyone else get an interview invite soon after submitting the secondary? I submitted mine August 17th, and today I received an e-mail that told me that I was scheduled for an interview on September 28th.

I wasn't expecting to hear back from them for another month :wideyed:

wow. I Literally called up the office and a lady told me my file "had not been reviewed yet". That makes no sense that you recieved a decision earlier than me and I still haven't even been reviewed even though I submitted earlier. Not getting angry at you, Congrats btw!

I'm just annoyed by the lie's many schools just tell.
 
wow. I Literally called up the office and a lady told me my file "had not been reviewed yet". That makes no sense that you recieved a decision earlier than me and I still haven't even been reviewed even though I submitted earlier. Not getting angry at you, Congrats btw!

I'm just annoyed by the lie's many schools just tell.

Same here! I submitted almost a month ago and I haven't had any status change. Seems like we're both having the same luck... I'm still waiting for my holistic review to start at WMed.
 
wow. I Literally called up the office and a lady told me my file "had not been reviewed yet". That makes no sense that you recieved a decision earlier than me and I still haven't even been reviewed even though I submitted earlier. Not getting angry at you, Congrats btw!

I'm just annoyed by the lie's many schools just tell.
Just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean they're lying. Maybe you forgot to spell check your personal statement and they passed you over. 🙂

But seriously, I submitted my app Day 1. AACOMAS is constantly sending batches of apps to med schools on a weekly basis, and in many cases, an applicants app will get re-submitted as information gets updated (or corrected). All in all, there will be somewhere between 40 and 50 batches received by a school. WVSOM gets over 3000 apps a year, will do roughly 500-600 interviews, and will invite roughly 300 people. When you get your interview is not as relevant as you might think. They only fill roughly half their spots before Christmas, and there's plenty of room if you interview in the Spring.
 
Just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean they're lying. Maybe you forgot to spell check your personal statement and they passed you over. 🙂

But seriously, I submitted my app Day 1. AACOMAS is constantly sending batches of apps to med schools on a weekly basis, and in many cases, an applicants app will get re-submitted as information gets updated (or corrected). All in all, there will be somewhere between 40 and 50 batches received by a school. WVSOM gets over 3000 apps a year, will do roughly 500-600 interviews, and will invite roughly 300 people. When you get your interview is not as relevant as you might think. They only fill roughly half their spots before Christmas, and there's plenty of room if you interview in the Spring.
Well it's not the grammar issue I know that for a fact 😛. If they want to pass it up that's cool, but I think we deserve a notice of that
 
Well it's not the grammar issue I know that for a fact 😛. If they want to pass it up that's cool, but I think we deserve a notice of that
I understand you perfectly, but you have to remember it's a seller's market, and there's nothing to be gained by any med school in telling someone they are temporarily passed over. Most likely, your application is one of many waiting to be processed. All you can do is be patient.
 
I understand you perfectly, but you have to remember it's a seller's market, and there's nothing to be gained by any med school in telling someone they are temporarily passed over. Most likely, your application is one of many waiting to be processed. All you can do is be patient.

Exactly, a sellers market encourages stretching the truth lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I must have missed how you think they've stretched the truth. I thought they told you they hadn't gotten around to yours yet... how is that stretching the truth?
Honestly, I'm not blaming wvsom, I'm blaming the whole process. When i say "stretched the truth" I mean schools stating they are rolling basis. Now, I know that doesn't imply that if you apply earlier than someone else then you will get an interview earlier than them. But, it does imply - especially the way schools word it, that your application is reviewed before the later applicant. In this case with wvsom, I was told my app wasn't even reviewed yet even though I was complete. I hope that clears up what I meant.
 
Honestly, I'm not blaming wvsom, I'm blaming the whole process. When i say "stretched the truth" I mean schools stating they are rolling basis. Now, I know that doesn't imply that if you apply earlier than someone else then you will get an interview earlier than them. But, it does imply - especially the way schools word it, that your application is reviewed before the later applicant. In this case with wvsom, I was told my app wasn't even reviewed yet even though I was complete. I hope that clears up what I meant.
You misunderstand what schools mean by rolling basis but I can see where you would get confused. To often we assume this means first come first served but it doesn't. Earlier in makes it more likely for an earlier review but this isn't an exact science. Schools review apps in bunches and sometimes this is time organized like Marian does it ( real nice clean process) however most is done based on whom ever grabs whatever and reviews it and you can understand why, some schools have less staff and/or get a ton of apps and everything turns into a work pile so you grab and do what you can. If you think they way this school does it sucks head your to the MD threads and check out Drexel. Secondaries are just starting to come out and could take up to 3 months for that whole process. You got it good here, they will get to you soon enough. Waiting sucks but this game is just getting warmed up.
 
You misunderstand what schools mean by rolling basis but I can see where you would get confused. To often we assume this means first come first served but it doesn't. Earlier in makes it more likely for an earlier review but this isn't an exact science. Schools review apps in bunches and sometimes this is time organized like Marian does it ( real nice clean process) however most is done based on whom ever grabs whatever and reviews it and you can understand why, some schools have less staff and/or get a ton of apps and everything turns into a work pile so you grab and do what you can. If you think they way this school does it sucks head your to the MD threads and check out Drexel. Secondaries are just starting to come out and could take up to 3 months for that whole process. You got it good here, they will get to you soon enough. Waiting sucks but this game is just getting warmed up.
Yeah, I guess I just misunderstood it. But they could definately do a better job of describing "rolling admissions." Kind of a cheap move not to seeing as many people misunderstand it as I did..
hahah yeah I applied to drexel too. I know, MD's are worse for the most part. Your right about that.
 
Decision deferred a couple of weeks ago. I hope that will change to good news. gotta stay positive.