Western c/o 2023

Started by KDeVore
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Alternate 🙁 Does anyone know how long the alternate list is or if it moves much? I’ve heard they offer more acceptances than they have seats for knowing some people will decline, which makes chances for alternates seem dismal...

From what some of the veterinary students told us on my interview day, the waitlist does move pretty quickly. I’m assuming, like other schools, there might not be movement until after April 15.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Alternate, hopeful too!! In the letter it says to go back to the applicant status and accept or decline status as being an alternate. Have you found where to do this?
Nope, not at all. I feel like there were similar problems last year, but I can't seem to find it in past forums.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone happen to hear how many acceptance and alternate spots were offered? It looks like last year it was about 200 offers, 150 waitlisted.
 
Did anyone happen to hear how many acceptance and alternate spots were offered? It looks like last year it was about 200 offers, 150 waitlisted.

I wonder if the counselors would know. On the acceptance they didn’t disclose numbers of admitted or waitlisted. Try calling or emailing your counselor tomorrow?

Is that accurate? I was told the class was 105 students last year. Or is it just that many people end up declining offers??

I think that many decline if they get in somewhere less expensive or have considered other factors.
 
Is that accurate? I was told the class was 105 students last year. Or is it just that many people end up declining offers??

It was from a post on last year’s thread. The class is only 105, but I’m guessing they extend more offers in anticipation of people declining offers (and then move onto the alternate list once the list drops below 105). I think last year they extended more acceptance offers than in past years, so I was curious if the same thing happened this year.
 
It was from a post on last year’s thread. The class is only 105, but I’m guessing they extend more offers in anticipation of people declining offers (and then move onto the alternate list once the list drops below 105). I think last year they extended more acceptance offers than in past years, so I was curious if the same thing happened this year.

Actually that sounds vaguely familiar and correct. They might have discussed this during during the informational sessions. Not totally sure
 
In my letter it said they routinely send out more offers than there are seats in anticipation of people choosing their in state or another University. However, it's highly unusual that they end up with more students than they can accommodate.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile
 
Congratulations to all those who have been accepted or waitlisted! I know how great it feels to get that first acceptance. I believe they generally offer acceptances to around 200 for a class of around 105. But don't lose hope those who have been waitlisted! Many people will be accepted to their IS school or a cheaper option, or will decide PBL just isn't for them, and will decline their offer...so the waitlist usually starts moving around April when those who have been accepted have to officially accept their school's offer.
 
Question to current or former students: I know western has their vet med center that sees routine appointments/basic elective surgeries and then for more advanced procedure the students will go to affiliate hospitals. One thing I’m worried about is not getting enough experience having to go through affiliate hospitals due to their own liability issues and not wanting to make students a priority. Is this an issue for anyone current/former? Or are the affiliates courteous to students/provide a good learning environment? Do you guys feel like the experience level here is comparable to other schools with their own large teaching hospital? At the end of the day I love Western and would love to go here, but this is just something I’ve been wanting to know more about! If possible, an unbiased response would be greatly appreciated:laugh:
 
Eeek. I’ve accepted my offer, but I still need to pay the deposit! Super stoked about it. I’m going to be a vet!

And a huge shout out to my interviewers who enjoyed all my pop culture and news references.
 
Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I’m an alternate at Western. Recently I was accepted to Ross, but Western is still where I really want to go to school. Obviously there won’t be any word from Western until after the commitment deadline. I have a lot to think about until April, but if I would end up accepting my offer at Ross and later am called off the waitlist at Western, does anyone know how that works? Would I just lose my deposit at Ross...?
 
Hey everyone,

I’m an alternate at Western. Recently I was accepted to Ross, but Western is still where I really want to go to school. Obviously there won’t be any word from Western until after the commitment deadline. I have a lot to think about until April, but if I would end up accepting my offer at Ross and later am called off the waitlist at Western, does anyone know how that works? Would I just lose my deposit at Ross...?

Unfortunately you would lose that deposit if you were to pay it for Ross, but later get pulled off the waitlist for western.

I would wait till the last possible moment to pay your Ross deposit for any possibility of getting called off the waitlist before April. However, a lot of people also end up getting pulled off the waitlist after April. It’s a loss you would have to take to ensure you have a seat somewhere for the c/o 2023.
 
Unfortunately you would lose that deposit if you were to pay it for Ross, but later get pulled off the waitlist for western.

I would wait till the last possible moment to pay your Ross deposit for any possibility of getting called off the waitlist before April. However, a lot of people also end up getting pulled off the waitlist after April. It’s a loss you would have to take to ensure you have a seat somewhere for the c/o 2023.

Okay, thanks! That’s what I was thinking. I have a lot to consider the next couple months and may end up just waiting and reapplying next cycle, but we’ll see what happens!
 
Okay, thanks! That’s what I was thinking. I have a lot to consider the next couple months and may end up just waiting and reapplying next cycle, but we’ll see what happens!
i am in the same boat, but if i don't get pulled off waitlist from Western this time i will go Ross because in 3.5 years I will be graduate form Ross, who knows about next cycle will be?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys.... this might be a stupid question.... but did we sign any confidentiality affidavit for western's interview?? i know most MMIs do have you sign something that says you can't discuss the questions, but i looked back through my email and interview info and i don't see anything mentioning confidentiality or signing anything and i literally just can't remember if I agreed to something when i registered for the interview or not.

asking because i want to fill out an interview feedback form on SDN's interview info page because those pages have been super helpful for my own preparation and i'd love to be able to help future applicants prepare for these interviews too! but i don't want to accidentally be in violation of a legally binding agreement :bag:

TIA!
 
Hey guys.... this might be a stupid question.... but did we sign any confidentiality affidavit for western's interview?? i know most MMIs do have you sign something that says you can't discuss the questions, but i looked back through my email and interview info and i don't see anything mentioning confidentiality or signing anything and i literally just can't remember if I agreed to something when i registered for the interview or not.

asking because i want to fill out an interview feedback form on SDN's interview info page because those pages have been super helpful for my own preparation and i'd love to be able to help future applicants prepare for these interviews too! but i don't want to accidentally be in violation of a legally binding agreement :bag:

TIA!
There may have been something when you scheduled the interview. Like an agreement you clicked approve on before being able to submit. I do recall there being a statement that it's confidential and you shouldn't disclose the questions (especially to those who not had interviewed yet). Aside from that I didn't agree to or sign anything.

If you're unsure and still want to give back you maybe could provide various questions that are popular in behavioral interviews that are similar to what you experienced. Or even share how you prepared and how much it did or didn't help you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile
 
Also, I'm looking for advice on housing if there are any current students here. I have a border collie and husky that will be coming with me. I've seen on various apartment websites that they won't allow huskies. Does anyone have experience finding housing in the area that doesn't have these restrictions or is it a common thing in California? (I'm from the East coast)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile
 
Not a current student, but I toured the 777 Place apartments next door when I was in town for interviews and saw a big dog that looked like a GSD there. Idk their full policy but that’s usually a restricted breed, so might be worth looking into!
 
Not a current student, but I toured the 777 Place apartments next door when I was in town for interviews and saw a big dog that looked like a GSD there. Idk their full policy but that’s usually a restricted breed, so might be worth looking into!
Thank you!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile