Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
4/12-er here but couldn't take it any longer so I also called. For any of us out there wondering about our admissions decisions, I was told that they have met on our applications but that decisions still need to be finalized. They gave me a timeline of late next week-early the following week for news. So now I know for sure that it's futile to refresh my portal every thirty seconds today... but I'll probably keep doing it anyway lol. Just FYI in case you all are as anxious as I am. Happy waiting everyone:wideyed:
Thanks for the update, you da real MVP

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone's portal working? Mine isn't loading.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Mine is working as well.

Is anyone's portal working? Mine isn't loading.

Mine did a weird thing last week where it didn't work for 30 minutes or so. I was hoping it meant it was being updated but when I was able to get back on there hadn't been any changes...

Has anyone heard anything at all? I tried calling today and just got an out of the office message all day :(

Portal working now and no change... I. just. want. a. response. anything. please. preferably. an. acceptance.

Reactions: 3 users
Portal working now and no change... I. just. want. a. response. anything. please. preferably. an. acceptance.

same. the waiting is torture. I hope there is some resolution very soon... like tomorrow haha.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard anything at all? I tried calling today and just got an out of the office message all day :(

I've also been trying to get a hold of an admissions counselor and have gotten their voicemail every time. Very frustrating. Has anyone else tried to call?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can we save posts like this for the "first world problems" thread? :D

If a problem arises in another dimension or on another life sustaining planet, is it still a problem?

Yes because there's always a solution

If a problem arises in another dimension or on another life sustaining planet, is it still a problem?

Yes because there's always a solution
Dude that was deep...dare I say that was deep as an ocean?

my portal was just updated! I interviewed on 3/30

Just checked my portal! "Institutional Acceptance!" Can't wait to start!

Checked mine, still no decision. Looks like a rejection. Darn

I interviewed 3/30. Just got the email saying I'm on the waitlist.

Hey I was just wondering did your portal changed to reflect your alternate status? or is the "decision" line still blank for you?

Hahah, yes. I'll be holding off on the happy dance until then.
"Institution Acceptance" !!!!!!! Can't help but start freaking out although the letter will definitely make it feel real :)

Also, last name starts with B so maybe they're going down the list alphabetically.

Hoping the best for all of you - you've helped keep me sane these past few weeks!!

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed 3/30 and found out I got accepted today on the portal!! When do we have to pay the deposit by?

Last edited:
YELLOW GROUP 3/30. PORTAL IS SHOWING AN ACCEPTANCE! I don't want to prematurely celebrate though. Going to patiently wait for actual paperwork in case of mistake. oh god oh god oh god! I just did a dance with my dog!

To those who interviewed 4/12, what color group were you all in??

Waitlisted. Just got an email minutes ago. 4/12 interview and no status change in my portal it's blank.

Exciting news for those who got in today or any day really! One step closer to your goal!

As as second year here at COMP I have some thoughts. It is lengthy but a few of my classmates and I feel like you need to hear some things so PLEASE READ, it will help I promise!!

A few of my classmates and I were talking about what advice we could give to interviewees/people deciding which acceptance to take.
And the best statement we could come up with is: if westernu is your only choice for medical school than take it. If not then go somewhere else (even if it means leaving the state) especially if you got accepted into an MD school.

I know they make everything sound nice and easy and helpful but that simply isn't the truth, I don't think it's malicious in intent but the administration paints a prettier picture of the school than what actually happens.

First we waste so much time here in mandatory classes. By the end of second semester of 2nd year you just walk around the omm lab (they say it's reviewing but it's not) for 4 hours a week, and then spend another 4 hours a week in ecm ( which is more helpful but not when boards are approaching)

We have Issm which has random assignment that are due and small groups where you talk about stuff like what is your best learning style. (We are 2nd years in med school I think we get it be now) and it's so stressful trying to keep track of all the "filler assignments" and it's all mandatory. We had to take 2 tests for issm that we had to take individually and then as a group which we were not allowed to have the answers to and somehow this is supposed to be "helping us board study"

They say that rotations are easy to get and that >90% get their first choice. Sure that did happen but only because we ran a mock lottery for rotations as a class and most of the people had to compromise to at least their 4th choice. So when they submitted their choice for rotations most people did get the 1st choice they submitted but that was only after weeks of trying to save your ratation schedule and barter/beg with your class mates. Honestly most stressful 3 weeks of my life.

Also they say rotations are regional. They are not. I am going from la to Orange County to San Diego to up north and that's all 4 months in a row. And they don't help you with living arrangements or anything that's on you. Also I have had friends whose rotations were cancelled and are currently in limbo and we are supposed to start rotations in a month. We also have to do all our own paperwork for rotations (which is different for evert sight so we are taking hundreds of forms)and I literally sat for a whole day at the computer trying to figure it out during what is supposed to be dedicated board study time, and the rotations office though they try really isn't helpful with all this. You kinda just have you pray you did it right and hope you don't get dropped from your rotation.

And then to boot 4th year rotations are figured out all on your own. Sooo that's going to be interesting (talking to friends who are current 3rd years makes this sound like a nightmare)

You are groomed to go into family medicine here. There are a few people who match into other specialties ever year but those are few and far between and they have stellar step 1 scores like 95th percentile stuff. So if family practice isn't your thing think somewhere else.

There is so much more I could tell you and feel free to private message me any questions you have and I promise I will answer them honestly. I am glad I am at westernu because I am going to be a doctor in 2 years but that's the only reason why. I got accepted into an out of state MD school (who got double the board study time we do ) and I kick myself every day especially trying to study for boards now, I realize what a mistake I made and wish I could go back in time. Go to a school that respects your time more you can always move back for residency (it's easier to do that then try to stay in cali with a bad step 1)

If this is your only choice congrats and see you around! if not honestly think about it, 4 years are going to fly by and trust me a lot of my class wishes they just would have taken that out of state acceptance.

Oh and 1 more thing sorry! I really liked the thought of omm but it's been disappointing.

Look up chapman points and cranial omm, which we had a full 40 hour week and exam (they try to tell us we can move peoples skull bones to fix menengitis, hand to god a true story from faculty) It's mostly stuff that is made up and then they have "research" that has 6 people in the sample size that they make you memorize and expect you to believe it. Trust me if you look that stuff up you will realize it's a waste of time and brain space and you will remember this post as a comp 2nd year and wish you had listened to me. i am not saying all DO schools are bad but I know for a fact there are better ones that put less emphasis on omm and more on learning actual medicine.

Oh and 1 more thing sorry! I really liked the thought of omm but it's been disappointing.

Look up chapman points and cranial omm, which we had a full 40 hour week and exam (they try to tell us we can move peoples skull bones to fix menengitis, hand to god a true story from faculty) It's mostly stuff that is made up and then they have "research" that has 6 people in the sample size that they make you memorize and expect you to believe it. Trust me if you look that stuff up you will realize it's a waste of time and brain space and you will remember this post as a comp 2nd year and wish you had listened to me. i am not saying all DO schools are bad but I know for a fact there are better ones that put less emphasis on omm and more on learning actual medicine.

1) if other current students are following, can we get a counter point here? obviously, at every school, some folks are upset and some are happy. just in the interest of balance.

2) as a counter point from a student who is starting next year, the 40 hr cranial course was a major selling point. if you havent had a session with a cranial osteopath, give it a shot, you're in for a treat.

The cranial course might have been fine had they not put it in such a bad place in the curriculum and I think that's mostly my point. At a time when most second years in the country are board studying we are piling more on. Which is definitely not advised. The schedule here is mostly made by phd's who have never done this process and think that know what's best.

Like I said I am happy I am going to be a doctor but most days here it's like pulling teeth. It's very stressful here and not for the reasons it should be like studying, but for dumb things like paperwork. there are no counter points to these things they are facts of our schedules and rotation curriculum.

Maybe @warmupsweats you should be an omm fellow you might really like it (I just had no interest in adding an extra year to medical school)

Like I said congratulations on being accepted and I hope you make the best out of wherever you end up! Just don't let California be the decision for you. I sure wish I was willing you expand my horizons.

If you have made up your mind and comp is 100% for you I am not trying to change your mind. But for those of you who have decisions to make I just wanted to share some things that I wish I had known before I started here.

If you have made up your mind and comp is 100% for you I am not trying to change your mind. But for those of you who have decisions to make I just wanted to share some things that I wish I had known before I started here.

My mind is indeed made up. But i still appreciate the input. It helps me to know what to prepare for. For instance, come boards time, i'm going to make sure to allot more time ahead of the normal schedule to remain on par with students from the other schools. And regarding match rates, i'll make sure to keep in mind when considering my work/life balance. Again: I really do appreciate your opinion. I don't think any school is perfect. And so it's not really disillusioning me to hear these grievances, so i don't think you have to be concerned about that.. err. or at least that's my opinion. i can't speak for anybody else :p

Dood

Seriously can any students shed some positive light on COMP? Not quite as excited and happy that I turned down an MD acceptance across the country..

Seriously can any students shed some positive light on COMP? Not quite as excited and happy that I turned down an MD acceptance across the country..

There are always going to be positive and negatives of every medical program. I have a close friend who attending COMP rn and he has a lot of positive things to say. Some say otherwise..

Has anyone received a deferred acceptance this application cycle? During the past application cycles the school has given out deferred acceptances.

Has anyone received a deferred acceptance this application cycle? During the past application cycles the school has given out deferred acceptances.

According to the interview guidebook received on interview day, Western is not offering deferred acceptances for this application cycle.

to add onto what victorianvamp said, I'll further confirm that the admissions director explicitly confirmed on interview day that no deferred acceptances will be given out this year.