Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yeah, the part of florida makes a difference. i doubt you'd want to drive from the keys 😉.You will most likely come through Mobile, Al and take 98W all the way to Hattiesburg. What part of Florida?
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
yeah, the part of florida makes a difference. i doubt you'd want to drive from the keys 😉.You will most likely come through Mobile, Al and take 98W all the way to Hattiesburg. What part of Florida?
What is the nearest airport here?
Interview Oct. 19th - Congrats everyone! Where are all you other 10/19 guys from?
fly into a cheaper airport (new orleans [msy], jackson [jan], and gulfport [gpt] come to mind) and rent a car and drive from the airport. these airports are up to 2 hours away. do check the cost of flying into hattiesburg (pib) though, because when you add in the cost of renting a car and the time spent, you may find it works out better just to fly into hattiesburg anyway.I am almost 11.5 hours drive. Does it make sense to drive or take a flight?
thanks
Interview Oct. 19th - Congrats everyone! Where are all you other 10/19 guys from?
I am from Tennessee, bout an 8 hour drive down for me. Is anyone bringing a family member? I know they gave the option....
You will most likely come through Mobile, Al and take 98W all the way to Hattiesburg. What part of Florida?
The Poet Sings, thanks for the input. You are a great help and your presence in the forum is a great help. i will do a bit research and then take a decision. I was also thinking that driving almost 12 hours is not a good idea.fly into a cheaper airport (new orleans [msy], jackson [jan], and gulfport [gpt] come to mind) and rent a car and drive from the airport. these airports are up to 2 hours away. do check the cost of flying into hattiesburg (pib) though, because when you add in the cost of renting a car and the time spent, you may find it works out better just to fly into hattiesburg anyway.
also, i'm a current student at wcu-com. so hi! hope y'all don't mind me hanging out around here. 🙂
I'm coming from New Orleans, LA by myself. Does anybody know how long the actual interview lasts?
I recieved an Interview for November 3rd, anyone else?
Also, Im from the Hattiesburg area so anyone that needs any advice/directions/input feel free to let me know.
totally irrelevant, but... where can i get some good cupcakes around here? anyone reading this that knows me will immediately figure out who i am from this question hahahaha.
and congrats on the interview!
me too 🙁 i never heard from them. you guys think we should call and ask them what's going on?
Well, glad you asked... Obviously my mother-in-law makes the best cupcakes, but seeing as those cupcakes aren't available to the public I suggest Cest La Vie Bakery on Hardy Street, or for another "cool" treat why not get an ice-cream cupcake from Cold Stone Creamery also on Hardy.
Anyway... Thanks for your congratulations.
...now I want a cupcake..
So, ever since I got their secondary, I was in love with how painless the school makes the application process... but now, I'm invited for an interview in Nov.!! My hubby has family about an hr from Hattiesburg, MS so we're very excited!!!
All the best, everyone!!😀
Good luck! The turnaround time was very quick for us to know our decisions. I got the call today that I was accepted.
The school is beautiful, the facilities are incredible, and the students are all so nice and welcoming.
It's so nice to hear that they inform you of your acceptance rather quick!
I tried to resist, but I ended up telling my lil' sis (in-law) that there's a possibility my hubby and I will be living so close to them...she is beyond excited.... my mom(in-law) is just as thrilled, saying how we can give her a grandbby in a couple of yrs, lol.
From what I've researched, the school is impressive with its facilities, has amazing faculty and staff!
I couldn't sleep last night, thinking about how great it would be to be sooo close to family and friends, and the possibility of us starting a family of our own where there's a great support system for us. I've spent many summers, and weeks in Picayune, MS and loved it. I just really don't want to destroy the interview due to my nerves...I feel like there's a lot more riding on me to do well on the interview!😱
I contacted Ms. Bennett on how to prepare for the interview and she gave great tips about reviewing my files, do any of ya'll have any specific suggestions regarding the interview? I'm so nervous because I want this school so badly! 😍
I interviewed on Tuesday and then got a call from Dr. Murphy ( Dean of College of Medicine) Wednesday around 4pm while I was enjoying my 10 hour drive home!
There were 6 of us on Tuesday and all happened to have a first name that started with a J 🙂. Interviews started after lunch around 1pm and lasted till a little after 4. I went 5th and had a significantly longer interview then the others. I mean 40 minutes instead of 20-30, which I consider 10 to 20 more minutes of talking to be a lot.
I had a relatively difficult ethics question in comparison to ones I've been told they have asked. I don't think all 6 of us had an ethics question. They asked a lot of questions, but you just need to smile and give concise, intelligent answers that show your character.
I wish everything was finished being built, so I would have left with an accurate image of everything. We did not get to go into the anatomy lab due to privacy issues, but at a quick glance it seemed well done. They have a mock clinic, which may serve as a real student clinic in the future I think, and two simulator rooms. The simulators were not in yet. I can't imagine anything not being complete by next summer.
Don't stress to much and end up sounding like a robot answering questions. You should already be intimately familiar with your application- it's your life 🙂. I am really objective, so feel free to ask questions or PM me.
Our deans are great. All the professors are very approachable.
And u guys may have it somewhat easier than us since u guys will have US in addition to all the great faculty and staff next year. 🙂
So far there is no one in our class that's turned me down when I asked for help. Everyone helps each other out here.
Dr. Murphy (our Dean and Vice-President of WCU-COM) emphasized during our orientation week that they chose us for our grades and heart(personality).
So for all of u that have interviews next week,
just let your great personality shine and don't be nervous.
They are all very nice and will make u feel very comfortable. 🙂
As for the anatomy lab, u will be half-living there next year,
so don't feel too sad about not being able to see it this time around. 🙂
What did Ms. Bennett tell you about preparing if you don't mind me asking? I have been reading the interview feedback and articles on SDN and that is about it. I am just going to try to stay as relaxed as possible (which is going to be really hard!).
She just told me to be familiar with my application and be myself. I also asked if I needed to bring anything like a CV, and she said nothing was needed unless I wanted to bring extra documentation. 🙂
Oh question for those that were down there recently,
Is there a reasonably priced hotel in Hattiesburg, MS? It seems my hubby and I'll be driving (6.5hrs) on Mon night(9pm) because I have a lab practical before then annnd I have a test on the day after my interview, so we'll be heading bk right after...no time to really sightsee or visit fam. 🙁
👍Google, Bing, or otherwise search the intersection of I-59 (exit 65, I think) and Hardy St/MS Rte 98. Hotels clustered there are the most convenient to WCU-COM and are all moderately priced.

Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.