William Carey University - COM Discussion Thread 2010-11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:D Accepted call on 11/19 at 1:30 pm CST! :D Interviewed 11/16.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey wlassite,
I interviewed with u on Tue. I was the really nervous one, and u could prob. guess from my handle.
Congrats to you!

Last edited:
Hey wlassite,
I interviewed with u on Tue. I was the really nervous one, and u could prob. guess from my handle.
I didn't get a phone call Fri; I waited around, missed class, and nothing. I guess they didn't want to ruin my weekend. Congrats to you!
I mean I don't know how else to convince them that I actually want to stay in the area and practice there...well anyway, live and learn, and don't get your emotions invested in a school, I suppose.

It was great to meet you last Tuesday. I interviewed alongside great students, and I hope everyone of us gets the school that they want this year. Stick with it! Best wishes for success! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I was the redhead interviewee on 11/19. I got the call last Friday! SOOO excited!

Just a reminder about an earlier post. We have created a Facebook group page "WCU COM Class of 2015". If you have been accepted and are either decided upon or contemplating WCU you should join the group and meet your future classmates. Hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving.

I got an interview 1/7/11

For those of you who have interviewed, any tips?

I really don't know that much about WCSOM other than it's new, so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

It says all Letter's must be sent directly to the school from the sender on the secondary. Did anyone use interfolio for their letters to the school? Interfolio already has an account set up for letters going to William Carey so I imagine it has been done by someone.

It says all Letter's must be sent directly to the school from the sender on the secondary. Did anyone use interfolio for their letters to the school? Interfolio already has an account set up for letters going to William Carey so I imagine it has been done by someone.

They do accept Interfolio.

In response to the previous post, my interview was three on one. Two faculty and Dean Weir who delivered the orientation. This was probably my most Q&A (a.k.a. non-conversational) interview of the four I have done. Even so, it was very straightforward, low-stress, and relatively short (~30 mins) for the six of us who were there that day. The school is impressive and brand-spankin' new. They are off to a great start in Hattiesburg.

I used my university's letter service, which is like interfolio, I didn't send any letters directly.

I got an interview 1/7/11

For those of you who have interviewed, any tips?

I really don't know that much about WCSOM other than it's new, so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I was really impressed with the school. The faculty and students are among the friendliest you will see! You may want to look at the AACOMAS page about WCU-COM because there's a lot of great info about the school on it.

As for the interview, it was really low-stress. They make you feel comfortable. As long as you know why you want to be an osteopathic physician, and why you would want to go to William Carey, I wouldn't worry TOO much about it. FInd a professor to "grill" you over questions before you go to the interview and you'll be fine.

Good luck!! :)

For those of you who have been accepted, if you don't mind, what is your MCAT and GPA? I just recently sent in my secondary application. Hopefully, we're future classmates; WCU COM is my #1 choice!

For those of you who have been accepted, if you don't mind, what is your MCAT and GPA? I just recently sent in my secondary application. Hopefully, we're future classmates; WCU COM is my #1 choice!

Hey!
My MCAT was 26Q and my GPA was a 2.91 (i had a rough start in college...I didn't start off doing the pre-med route, plus some other hard circumstances happened that hindered my academic performance)

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
30Q & 3.7science. WCU has some preference for students from the nearby gulf coast, the river delta, or the mid-south states as well.

Great! I'm from rural East Texas and my father is a small town family practice doc, so I want to move back home and work with him. I have a 3.54 Science GPA and a 25Q MCAT. I have taught biology at a small town high school for 2 years and have been in the ministry for 7 years, so I definitely have tons of extracurricular stuff on my app. Any thoughts from those of you who have been interviewed?

Great! I'm from rural East Texas and my father is a small town family practice doc, so I want to move back home and work with him. I have a 3.54 Science GPA and a 25Q MCAT. I have taught biology at a small town high school for 2 years and have been in the ministry for 7 years, so I definitely have tons of extracurricular stuff on my app. Any thoughts from those of you who have been interviewed?

Just be yourself! This interview at WCU-COM is nothing to stress heavily about. (Obviously, there will be stress...it's medical school, but this place is wonderful!) The faculty that interviewed us were very professional, friendly, and made sure we were comfortable. It's pretty much everything you could hope for in a medical school. I'm from Norman, OK...so I was a little worried about my location being an issue, but it wasn't!

Congrats to those who have been accepted! How did it take to get an interview invite after submitting the secondary application?

Congrats to those who have been accepted! How did it take to get an interview invite after submitting the secondary application?

Mine was about a month after the secondary was submitted...but I got mine submitted during mid/late-September

Turned in my secondary in the beginning of November, got my interview invite last Monday 12/7. I'll be interviewed on 1/7.

As far as stats go, 27Q MCAT, my GPA wasn't so high, but I'm retaking classes and have a decent graduate GPA. I also have taught high school for 3 years.

I received my interview invite fairly quickly (~2 weeks). The school was awesome and the faculty were really cool as well. My interview was 12/14 and received a call today. The paperwork hsould be in later this week. WCU doesn't like to keep you waiting. Its stated in the tour that if you have been chosen for an interview, they are very interested. I took them for their word and was just myself. Everything was rather laid back, but the facilities are top notch. It was a group of 5, with orientation, tour, lunch w/ current students, and then interviews. There were 3 in my interview.

I received my interview invite fairly quickly (~2 weeks). The school was awesome and the faculty were really cool as well. My interview was 12/14 and received a call today. The paperwork hsould be in later this week. WCU doesn't like to keep you waiting. Its stated in the tour that if you have been chosen for an interview, they are very interested. I took them for their word and was just myself. Everything was rather laid back, but the facilities are top notch. It was a group of 5, with orientation, tour, lunch w/ current students, and then interviews. There were 3 in my interview.

This was the same format as my interview. Interviewed early Oct. Notified of interview same week of secondary being received.

Laid back is the only words I have to describe this place. They have really done something great here. Good luck to you all still in the app process. Don't sweat it, as mentioned above, if you get in interview they are interested. The huge thing that stands out to me about this place is that they really seem to care about their students. The deans walk around talking to the students on a first name basis.....impressive.

The deans walk around talking to the students on a first name basis.....impressive.

glad you noticed that :). definitely one of my favorite things around here is the feeling that we are a great, big, happy (but sometimes dysfunctional!) family.

Interviewed 12/14 and got the call on thursday! Accepted!

Has anyone interviewed with anyone from the Northeast? I have family in Louisiana and would love the possibility of being closer to them. From reading the earlier posts they favor people from the south. Any tips for an applicant from the northeast doing a grad degree in NYC?

When I interviewed, they showed us a pie chart of where all the applicants for the first class came from. If I remember correctly, only about 6 people were accepted that weren't from the South. Dr. Weir pointed out that these idividuals had very strong ties to the area, such as being engaged to someone from MS. I'd say that havig family there would be a "strog tie." Why not write a letter of interest if you don't hear back soon and tell why you want to go there and discuss your family ties? Best of luck!

I remember a student being from NY and talking to a student from Maryland.

Is says on the University Catalog that if accepted after January 15 then a 3,000 deposit is due within fourteen days. This seems too short of a time frame to come up with 3,000 dollars.

Is says on the University Catalog that if accepted after January 15 then a 3,000 deposit is due within fourteen days. This seems too short of a time frame to come up with 3,000 dollars.

You have one month (30) days in which to give the $3000 seat deposit. That's what it said in the official acceptance letter. Call and ask Emily Bennett, she's very helpful

My app file was completed early this week, and I got invited to interview on 1/21. Man, this admissions office moves quick!! I love it. Anybody else interviewing on 1/21? Can't wait to see the school!

If you get an interview, it seemed to me as if the seat was yours to lose. They like you on paper, so just relax and be warm and engaging in the interview and you should be golden. Where in East Texas are you from? I have been accepted and was concerned that I might be the only Texan there!

If you get an interview, it seemed to me as if the seat was yours to lose. They like you on paper, so just relax and be warm and engaging in the interview and you should be golden. Where in East Texas are you from? I have been accepted and was concerned that I might be the only Texan there!
we already have a few, so even if you'd be the only one in your year you wouldn't be the only one overall :)

can you guys from Texas give me any advice on how you were able to get noticed here? I am originally from Mississippi (born and raised for 22 years) and came to texas to work. I have STRONG ties to the state of MS, but just can't seem to get anywhere with William Carey. I have interviews lined up with other schools, but this is a place I would REALLY love to go to and contribute back to my state.

thanks again!

can you guys from Texas give me any advice on how you were able to get noticed here? I am originally from Mississippi (born and raised for 22 years) and came to texas to work. I have STRONG ties to the state of MS, but just can't seem to get anywhere with William Carey. I have interviews lined up with other schools, but this is a place I would REALLY love to go to and contribute back to my state.

thanks again!

what are your stats and how you worded your secondary etc?

i currently live in Tyler, but grew up in Atlanta, TX, which is in the northeast corner of texas, about 25 miles south of texarkana. What part of TX are you from?

i currently live in Tyler, but grew up in Atlanta, TX, which is in the northeast corner of texas, about 25 miles south of texarkana. What part of TX are you from?

Just graduated from A&M and have moved all around the last several years, but my hometown is Mount Vernon. I am very familiar with your neck of the woods. We used to play Atlanta in football many moons ago and played them in baseball when I was in high school. I know quite a few people from that area. Best of luck to you in your interview.

thanks again!

Quite honestly, I'm not sure what stood out to WCU-COM about me. I applied to several osteopathic schools, but was only interviewed by WCU, then I was accepted within a few days. Haven't heard from other schools.

One possibility is that WCU may have seen an opportunity where other schools saw a liability in me. I started medical school in a foreign international medical school and left to come back and reapply in the states. Overall, not a popular move with most admissions committtees, but WCU decided to give me a shot and I greatly appreciate it.

It also helps that I applied as early as I could so they couldn't be too picky since they wanted to fill their class.

I interviewed on 1/7. They said their adcom meeting is 1/12 so I'm expecting a call then. :) Interview went smoothly and low pressure. They made it a priority to know my name. One of the students told me they only interviewed 150 applicants last year for their class of 108-9. So they're very picky of who they interview.

I interviewed on 1/7. They said their adcom meeting is 1/12 so I'm expecting a call then. :) Interview went smoothly and low pressure. They made it a priority to know my name. One of the students told me they only interviewed 150 applicants last year for their class of 108-9. So they're very picky of who they interview.

Yeah, received my call right after they met. Even though I'm matriculating to LMU, I was very impressed by this interview. I liked how it was open file and they really got to know me. The highlight was when one of them said "Other than your community service-which is extensive and impressive...." :laugh: Best of luck to you!

if you are a first year student, can you please post how you like wcu-com so far (courses, environment, etc)?

Interview on Friday 1/7.

Got the acceptance call Wednesday 1/12

Received acceptance letter today, Tuesday 1/18

Good luck to the rest of you!

I am aware WCCOM is fairly new, but does anyone know the average mcat score of last years accepted students? Thanks.

if you are a first year student, can you please post how you like wcu-com so far (courses, environment, etc)?

i should be studying, so this won't be the most in-depth assessment. but i love it here. since we're the first year, and they're really trying to please us and get this whole thing right, we've been able to put in a lot of input and it has fortunately been taken to heart by the administration. we're one big happy family here, and i personally think it's impressive when the deans know the students by name.
we have 3 buildings, 2 of which are complete (the one in progress is the administration building which i guess the students don't need to use anyways). i have no complaints about the facilities that are available. study rooms/spaces in both buildings, opp lab with cameras and screens so people in the back can see what's going on easier, tv screens in anatomy lab although we rarely use them.
last semester we took 40 credits, and this one it's only listed as being 28 even though some of the courses from fall (like opp and some of anatomy) are still going on in the spring. the courses are difficult, but hey, it's med school, so it shouldn't be a surprise or anything. the professors really want us to succeed and give us all the resources they can think of to make sure we're able to study the material in the way that suits us best. like we have access to acland's videos for anatomy. also it is worth mentioning our textbooks are digital, through a company called vitalsource.
my complaints are few. i loathe that we don't get a spring break :(. we started school august 23 and will be done june 17th. we had like 2 weeks off for christmas, and a few days off for an aoa conference. i'm also not a fan of the mandatory attendance (at least 80%). i'd be better off sleeping in my own bed than trying to not get caught sleeping in class... i hate ending on a negative note, but this was just the order everything came to me hahaha. let me know if anyone wants more details on anything.

I am aware WCCOM is fairly new, but does anyone know the average mcat score of last years accepted students? Thanks.

24.3 although that may not be the final number since i don't know how long they continued to accept people last year http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=9549622&postcount=546

Thinking down the road to medical school in august, I know housing can be an expensive proposition. Looking for a roommate if anyone is interested. I'm very quiet, reasonably clean, and low maintenance. Plus I'm house broken. :laugh: If someone else out there is compatible, give us a shout!

just got the interview invite! beyond excited. I'm going for feb 18, anyone else?

Just got acceptance call yesterday(1/25)!!! Super stoked!!

For those who are interested when I interviewed (1/23) they said they have interviewed like 70ish and have accepted 60ish, they made it clear if they interview you the spot is practically yours. Relax they are really chill in the interview.

As for my take on the school: I have applied 8 schools have interview at 6 and before this all started WCU was ranked near the bottom after the interview its now one of my top choices. Great new facilities, professors who seem like they really care and all around great atmosphere.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Hey, does anyone know where the third and fourth years will be doing their clinical rotations and what the rotations are? I have tried to look this up on the website, but am having trouble finding it! Thanks so much!

Just got an interview for 2/11! Anyone else? Also, is there anyone accepted from NC?