2009-2010 East Carolina University (Brody) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a second time applicant and got the complete email about 2 weeks after I submitted and an invite 2 days after that.

ncguy... after you didn't get in last year, did you meet with the Dean of Admissions to go over the reasons why? I did that and at my interview they said they consider that when screening for re-applicants pre-interview and post-interview. If I had known that I definitely would have made more of a point to do that with all the other schools. I didn't with UNC and I still haven't heard back from them after I submitted my secondary.

Nah, I didn't. I followed the directions of the letter that I got that said wait until you're sure your other options don't pan out before scheduling a meeting with the dean. I was on the waitlist at Wake Forest and finally around July when I realized all hope was lost emailed ECU about a meeting with the dean. It was too late.

UNC was a little more forgiving of my lateness and the dean called me and spoke with me about my weaknesses...

Oh well, we'll see...

Members don't see this ad.

Today is the day I think they give out acceptances. I guessing this because the site updates stats tonight or tomorrow morning. Anybody heard anything today?

Damn... now I'm going to be going crazy waiting for the mailman to get to my house everyday for the next few days! Why you gotta do that to me man? :scared:

You think they send out the letters the same day they make the decision?

ECU does send out acceptances through snail mail right?

Members don't see this ad :)
On the other thread, people were saying they got their notification through snail mail.

Sorry, I guess the neurotic behavior is contagious.

Last edited:
They didn't update their site, I wonder if they met this week.

ECU! Anyone home?? Did they review apps last week or what??:confused:

Looks like as of this Sunday they made 2 more offers (update page went from 16 to 18). So I guess 2 lucky ducks will get that nice letter in their mailboxes any day now :D:D

I dont know if anyone else noticed this, but I think nov 15th is also the application deadline, yet they only received 897 applications. Does this mean that they got 100 less applications last year? Otherwise, they are just not taking into account the applications that are still getting verified. I am actually hoping for the former, because that would mean they would have more slots to offer per application received.

I would be curious right now if ECU is accepting people who have 5000+ hours of community service, or people with 35/4.0 stats. ECU seems to have totally different standards of what the ideal applicant is for them, so I really have no idea what criteria causes them to give prompt acceptances.

Last edited:
Seems not to many people on SDN are applying to Brody...

I guess the admissions committee should meet today, if they stay on the two-week increment timeline.

I had a dream last night that they accepted 50 more people in this meeting, and I was one of them...lol. Sooner or later they should be picking up the pace, the admissions secretary either said after Thanksgiving or Christmas the pace picks up, I cant remember which one.

Seems not to many people on SDN are applying to Brody...

I guess the admissions committee should meet today, if they stay on the two-week increment timeline.

I had a dream last night that they accepted 50 more people in this meeting, and I was one of them...lol. Sooner or later they should be picking up the pace, the admissions secretary either said after Thanksgiving or Christmas the pace picks up, I cant remember which one.

I remember her saying that by Christmas they should have half the class filled up (b/c at that point they will have interviewed half the applicant pool). I interviewed in September and she said our group should start obsessively checking our mailboxes starting in December... not that I haven't been already :rolleyes:

Looks like they made 3 more offers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like they made 3 more offers.

wow they really are filling up the class slow... they must be planning to speed up in December if they plan to have the class half full by Christmas.

On a side note... I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope to have a nice surprise in my mailbox this evening :xf::xf::xf: :luck: :luck:

Have any of those 21 offers been given to a SDN-er? Would love to hear the juicy details about the acceptance letter (size, arrival time etc...) so I can obsess just a little more about it :D

Its too bad the application cycle doesn't have a population similar to this thread.

I have not talked to anyone who has been told their application has been viewed more than once. So, my guess is that they review your file once (post-interview), and if they totally don't like you they put you on hold. Then when the spring semester rolls around, when they have more applicants to compare you to, then they review your file again. Just a guess though...

So what is the average wait time b/w being complete and receiving an interview invite?? I have been complete for well over a month and I have yet to hear anything back. I'm getting really antsy considering this is one of my top schools due to cost and location. Do you guys think I should send them an e-mail or continue to wait a little longer??

Could take a while, especially since it is getting later in the cycle now. Probably 1-2 months.

Accepted! Letter dated 12/2 came in the mail today! Interviewed Sept. 25th. Re-applicant. SO stoked... first acceptance!

^^^ Congrats on the acceptance!! I have been complete since 10/23, so I'll give it to the end of the week and then I am going to get in touch with the school. Does this seem like a standard time line to you guys? I guess not that many who interview look at SDN huh?

congrats futurencmed....i'm a reapplicant as well and hopefully i get one too :). I submitted my secondary 10/10, got the interview invite on 10/14 and interviewed on 10/29.

Who did everyone interview with? I had Dr Savage and an M4 and I'm still waiting on word from them...

congrats futurencmed....i'm a reapplicant as well and hopefully i get one too :). I submitted my secondary 10/10, got the interview invite on 10/14 and interviewed on 10/29.

I'm a reapplicant. I submitted my secondary in Mid September and it was acknowledged in late September. I have not heard anything from them since then. I have no idea what their deal is . . . massive improvement on the application. Just to be completely forthcoming though, I never met with Dr. Peden.

Birdsbeak, I don't know if this had anything to do with my fast-turn around time but I did meet with Dr. Peden after I received the unsuccessful waitlist letter.

I found out that I got accepted on Friday... I interviewed on Sept 11th... My stats are 30 and 3.8 in both. Man I'm glad I didn't have to sweat it out until May!

Last edited:
Who did everyone interview with? I had Dr Savage and an M4 and I'm still waiting on word from them...

I interviewed in early November and had Dr. Apetz and Dr. Fletcher

I found out that I got accepted on Friday... I interviewed on Sept 11th... My sats are 30 and 3.8 in both. Man I'm glad I didn't have to sweat it out until May!

Adam

That's pretty cool... all 3 acceptances went out to fellow SDNers... maybe I'll see you at The Brody SOM next August! There are very few other offers that can beat this one but I'm still holding out for UNC and a few other OOS schools...still gonna be a hard choice regardless... ECU is an awesome school and you absolutely can't beat the 9K tuition!!!

What did you think of Dr. Apetz?!

I loved him! we talked a lot about his kindle and the new nook and both of our travels to China. Dr. Fletcher was much more intimidating but I had been warned by a friend. For anyone that hasn't interviewed yet...if you get Dr. Fletcher as an interviewer be prepared to stand your ground. He can ask some tough questions but don't back down from your answer...if you can defend your answers it will go a long way with him and he is a VERY influential person on the admissions committee.

Haha additionally, Dr. Sigounas is pretty intimidating - he has a bit of an accent, so listen closely to what he says, and don't get freaked out when he cuts off your answer to every question... he just starts talking when he's done hearing your answer and ready to move on. If you don't get intimidated, you can have him smiling by the end of the interview.

As of December 15, 2009, we have .....
  • Received 918 AMCAS applications
  • Received 786 Supplementary applications
  • Interviewed 321 applicants
  • Made 39 offers

This thread is so quiet... I know that there is no discussions stemming from OOS students (which constitute much on the UNC thread)... I was wondering how high ECU stands in your ideal choices for medical school... I think it would be hard to turn down UNC, but I would have a tough time deciding between ECU and Wake (and also Jefferson in Philly)... I know its early, but I was wondering where you all stand

As of December 15, 2009, we have .....
  • Received 918 AMCAS applications
  • Received 786 Supplementary applications
  • Interviewed 321 applicants
  • Made 39 offers

18 more offers! WHOOOO! :thumbup:

Considering the last acceptances letters were dated Dec 2nd, which is 3 days after the last update. Since that was Tuesday, maybe the committee met again this Tuesday. So, my guess is those acceptances are the combination of the 2nd and 15th acceptances. Just speculating for those that might be in the dark.

This thread is so quiet... I know that there is no discussions stemming from OOS students (which constitute much on the UNC thread)... I was wondering how high ECU stands in your ideal choices for medical school... I think it would be hard to turn down UNC, but I would have a tough time deciding between ECU and Wake (and also Jefferson in Philly)... I know its early, but I was wondering where you all stand

Even the decision between UNC and ECU is going to be a hard choice (one that I hopefuly will have to make... accepted at ECU, interviewing at UNC in Jan.)

ECU is THE CHEAPEST medical school in the US... $9000 tuition is almost nothing in comparison to OOS schools and having as little debt as possible leaving medical school is very important.

Plus ECU is a really good school... it may not have the name recognition of UNC, but it's pretty amazing if you are interested in certain programs (family medicine or cardiology to name the biggest).

Hey, I also interviewed on 10/29, in fact i think i might know u. Did you have a conversation about your first name being somehow uncommon? Also,have you heard anything so far??

I don't believe I had that conversation but my name is uncommon here in the U.S. If you did interview on that day, we def talked at some point. I sent you a PM.

Hello SDNers :)

Happy New Year!

I need some advice! I had submitted a committee letter and on the application I wrote down the names of all the people who were going to writing my recom letter. For example, I wrote "Committee letter (Dr., Mr.,Dr., Mr.) but unfortunately one of my prof. will not able to send in a letter for me b/c he is not well. Even though I satisfy the recom. letter part should I still call in and let them know that Dr. will not be able to able to send in a letter for me (I mean at this point he could only send an indiv. letter b/c committee is already in and he won't be able to do that either). I have been complete since 9/9 and I really want to go up for an interview :( but so far I have not heard anything..any advice will be appreciated :) thank you! Also, is it a bad thing to call them up and ask about any updates on the application?

I hope that 2010 brings our white coats with it :)

Since you've been considered "complete," the misssing letter probably didn't matter? That would be my guess. I think it'd be okay to call and ask them about any updates as well. I wonder if you want to send in a letter of interest along with any updates on your application/candidacy as well. Good luck!

I have been complete since mid-October and still haven't received an interview from Brody. Brody is one of my top choice schools, so I hope the holiday's have just slowed them down. Maybe we should send them a LOI??

They updated their stats. It seems they have made one less offer. I wonder if they took an offer back or decided against an offer. This time is says 38 offers.

Last edited:
What is this mysterious site you keep talking about? You keep quoting some random site, but as far as I can tell you might as well be talking to yourself. I'd love to see it, what is the site?

It is this website from the office of admissions: http://www.ecu.edu/bsomadmissions/

You want to click the purple box underneath the initial introduction text.

Hello SDNers :)

Happy New Year!

I need some advice! I had submitted a committee letter and on the application I wrote down the names of all the people who were going to writing my recom letter. For example, I wrote "Committee letter (Dr., Mr.,Dr., Mr.) but unfortunately one of my prof. will not able to send in a letter for me b/c he is not well. Even though I satisfy the recom. letter part should I still call in and let them know that Dr. will not be able to able to send in a letter for me (I mean at this point he could only send an indiv. letter b/c committee is already in and he won't be able to do that either). I have been complete since 9/9 and I really want to go up for an interview :( but so far I have not heard anything..any advice will be appreciated :) thank you! Also, is it a bad thing to call them up and ask about any updates on the application?

I hope that 2010 brings our white coats with it :)

Sorry for the delayed answer, but I would definitely notify them. I mean, they're gonna wonder if that person just didn't care enough and flaked or something. If there is a good explanation, I would think that would be preferable.

I'm so ready to hear back from ECU. I interviewed in November. Does anyone know the earliest turnaround time for acceptance?

I'm so ready to hear back from ECU. I interviewed in November. Does anyone know the earliest turnaround time for acceptance?

I know how you feel... I interviewed in mid October! :scared:

I know what you mean...November interview here as well. I remember them saying something like 90% of people should expect not hear for a long time. Question: does anyone remember if they said if we could / recommended that we did send in update letters after the interview?

I know what you mean...November interview here as well. I remember them saying something like 90% of people should expect not hear for a long time. Question: does anyone remember if they said if we could / recommended that we did send in update letters after the interview?

I didn't hear anything... Best to call and ask. Letter of Interest, along with pertinent updates, would be good. I would include not only grades but also updates on extracurriculars (research, clinical experience, etc.)

A sidenote: Link to Brody Class of 2014 thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=691897

Last edited:
haha i feel your guys' anxiety..i interviewed in august and haven't heard anything!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.