2009-2010 East Carolina University (Brody) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does any one know if there is a second look day here?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, guys, i'm about to schedule an interview with Brody. This is my first med school interview. Any advice? what kind of questions do they ask?

Hey, guys, i'm about to schedule an interview with Brody. This is my first med school interview. Any advice? what kind of questions do they ask?

See the interview feedback on SDN. It was VERY helpful for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea, i interviewed in October and havent heard anything yet, im kinda hoping that these schools all get the ball rolling this month..

hey yall...I just got an acceptance letter today in the mail but I called and declined the acceptance so hopefully this opens up a spot for one of yall!

Got my acceptance letter! Good luck to everyone on this feed!

hey yall...I just got an acceptance letter today in the mail but I called and declined the acceptance so hopefully this opens up a spot for one of yall!

Congrats and thank you. If I get in, I'm crediting my acceptance spot to you!

Sorry for the delayed reply! My secondary was completed in late October. I interviewed in early November. I received my acceptance about a week ago.
I'm also a re-applicant; I don't know if that makes a difference.

so it's been a while since i interviewed here (early november) and haven't heard anything like a lot of you. did they shed any light on when people in our boat would be re-reviewed...how does it all work? would they be able to answer anything about my status if i called?

so it's been a while since i interviewed here (early november) and haven't heard anything like a lot of you. did they shed any light on when people in our boat would be re-reviewed...how does it all work? would they be able to answer anything about my status if i called?

I called once before my acceptance (about 8 wks post-interview) to see if I had been reviewed yet. She told me I had not at that point then I received an acceptance about 2 weeks after.

So, to answer your question, you can call and ask if you've been reviewed yet. I'm not sure if they will tell you how many times you've gone to review, but I don't think it would hurt to ask.

If you have gone to review once and haven't heard anything that means they're keeping your file in the pile of applicants they will continue to review for the remainder of the season. I believe that means at each subsequent review, they will bring your file up again and make the decision to either accept, reject, or continue to hold. This process repeats until March or April when they make their final decisions and decide to either accept reject or waitlist you. If you're in the boat I was in last year, they will continue to leave you in the dark until late April when they make their final decisions. Ahh the joys of rolling admisions :scared:

just hold tight and remember that no news is good news at this point. Keep sending updates and showing interest... it's all you can really do at this point!

Just got my acceptance letter this past Sat. (01/16)! I interviewed in mid-Nov. and I am a reapplicant. Good luck to the rest of you guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed early Nov. and still waiting. Called to check my status and I was told it had een reviewed once. Could folk accepted post their stats?

Interviewed early Nov. and still waiting. Called to check my status and I was told it had een reviewed once. Could folk accepted post their stats?

IS 33Q 3.89GPA and I am finishing up my undergrad at ECU

31Q (8PS 10VR 13 BS) 3.9 GPA - reapplicant. Interviewed in September accepted in November. :D:D

I declined my interview and withdrew my application. I hope that opens up a spot for someone else to get an interview.

I know what you mean...November interview here as well. I remember them saying something like 90% of people should expect not hear for a long time. Question: does anyone remember if they said if we could / recommended that we did send in update letters after the interview?

They said to send an informal email with your updated grades and GPA for the fall semester. If you get an invitation, you may be asked to then send an official transcript.

I'm waiting since November. Best of luck to us all!

As of January 31, 2010, we have .....

Received 918 AMCAS applications
Received 802 Supplementary applications
Interviewed 411 applicants
Made 51 offers

Just remember, everyone, no news is good news! Stay optimistic, friends!

Interviewed back in September, still on hold. This process is getting really aggravating.

Interviewed back in September, still on hold. This process is getting really aggravating.

What do you mean by hold? Are you just assuming this because you haven't heard anything yet or was it a formal hold? I interviewed in early November and just sent in an update letter earlier this week to see if this would get them to speak up and end the silence.

Got a rejection letter on Tuesday. Interviewed in Late September. 35 MCAT/~3.6 GPA....Pretty Good Experience I would say...And Close Ties to Brody and Greenville...

Thoughts???

Last edited:
Got a rejection letter on Tuesday. Interviewed in Late September. 35 MCAT/~3.6 GPA....Pretty Good Experience I would say...F My Life...

Thoughts?

Sorry to hear that. Your stats are quite competitive, maybe the case for convincing them you like primary care wasn't strong enough (not that anyone is 100% set on it, but you do have to genuinely be interested in considering it at least). Also, ECU traditionally doesn't accept applicants if they seem like they will matriculate elsewhere (so it's critical to stress to them if they are one of your top choices)... the reason I say this is because your MCAT score is pretty darn high. I hope you do get accepted somewhere else this cycle! Otherwise, reapplying with those stats - your chances are looking really good. Don't lose hope :luck:

Got a rejection letter on Tuesday. Interviewed in Late September. 35 MCAT/~3.6 GPA....Pretty Good Experience I would say...And Close Ties to Brody and Greenville...

Thoughts???

Sorry to hear that!! I really hope you get in elsewhere this year!

I know people with 35+, 4.0 who were not accepted simply because it was apparent that on their medical school list Brody was a safety school and they look out for applicants like that. While i don't have your scores, i know what some of my friends did.

what you gotta do is schedule an "exit interview" with Admissions, they will give away your weakness and tell you what you need to do if you want to reapply next year. It is a good idea to meet with the Dean one on one to discuss your app, it would help you out in the long run. Best of luck!!

I know people with 35+, 4.0 who were not accepted simply because it was apparent that on their medical school list Brody was a safety school and they look out for applicants like that. While i don't have your scores, i know what some of my friends did.

what you gotta do is schedule an "exit interview" with Admissions, they will give away your weakness and tell you what you need to do if you want to reapply next year. It is a good idea to meet with the Dean one on one to discuss your app, it would help you out in the long run. Best of luck!!

I second the exit interview advice. I knwo I've stressed this before but for all you new people to the thread.... DO THE EXIT INTERVIEW! It was really really really helpful. ECU is one of the only exit interviews I did last year but I learned so much about the weaknesses in my application that I didn't feel the need to go to many others. Plus they do an actual scheduled face-to-face sit-down and it's real low-key and a great way to get some face-time with the Dean and Admissions staff. Last year I was rejected and this year I got one of the primo interview slots (early September) and got an acceptance letter WAY before I expected it (early December). Good luck!

Sorry to hear that. Your stats are quite competitive, maybe the case for convincing them you like primary care wasn't strong enough (not that anyone is 100% set on it, but you do have to genuinely be interested in considering it at least). Also, ECU traditionally doesn't accept applicants if they seem like they will matriculate elsewhere (so it's critical to stress to them if they are one of your top choices)... the reason I say this is because your MCAT score is pretty darn high. I hope you do get accepted somewhere else this cycle! Otherwise, reapplying with those stats - your chances are looking really good. Don't lose hope :luck:

I am the only person that thinks this reason for rejecting someone because their stats are high is sad. Honestly, I don't want to go to a school that doesn't think I am too good for them. That doesn't not make me think highly of them and their education. They should be striving to recruit the brightest in NC and educate them to send into the community. This is a appalling idea (reject someone for having too good stats) and I hope it is wrong.

I am the only person that thinks this reason for rejecting someone because their stats are high is sad. Honestly, I don't want to go to a school that doesn't think I am too good for them. That doesn't not make me think highly of them and their education. They should be striving to recruit the brightest in NC and educate them to send into the community. This is a appalling idea (reject someone for having too good stats) and I hope it is wrong.

hear, hear!

I think it is pretty ridiculous, but I have heard that it isn't uncommon

Me too. My stats are a good bit higher than their averages are, but I also know a guy with a 36MCAT and a high GPA who got in last year. But I think he is an an exception.

I got a rejection letter a couple of days ago. Hopefully I will get in somewhere else, but I can't wait to sit down in front of the Dean and have him tell me to my face why they made the decision that they did. I'm just really interested in what they could possibly have come up with. They can be pretty creative if they just didn't happen to pick you "out of the hat" or they just don't like you for some reason... lol.

p.

Last edited:

ECU has been known to accept 2-3x its available spots in the past. That's frustrating for the admissions committee and everyone else involved. I think all schools follow this method (of selecting candidates most likely to attend) to some extent. It's a two way street.

The people who get accepted are the ones who are most enthusiastic about the school. People who treat a school as just a back up should not expect to get in just based on stats, after lackluster interviews. So not everyone with a 35+, 4.0 is going to get in. I don't necessarily see this as being "too good" - just not a good fit.

ECU has been known to accept 2-3x its available spots in the past. That's frustrating for the admissions committee and everyone else involved. I think all schools follow this method (of selecting candidates most likely to attend) to some extent. It's a two way street.

The people who get accepted are the ones who are most enthusiastic about the school. People who treat a school as just a back up should not expect to get in just based on stats, after lackluster interviews. So not everyone with a 35+, 4.0 is going to get in. I don't necessarily see this as being "too good" - just not a good fit.

As far as stats go, I think i would be po'd as well if I was rejected because I was "too good." Based on their small class size, they spend much more time individualizing each applicant and therefore it is significant to display your passion to be at the school (overlooking your stats.) From what I know i they have >4 people from the committee review each applicant and two of those are interviewers, so the most important part of the interview is essentially to display your pride of the school and its missions/goals.

You may or may not have done this, but i think it's critical. And their first and only mission statement is to get NC resident students prescribing and practicing for NC residents... this is more of a public school ploy but Brody takes it on step further to promote and educate eastern Primary care as they are ranked nationally for their family med/PCP physician residencies. So inclusive in your interview/secondaries must be a hint of this because off the bat two committee members don't know it and two other committee members may not even be convinced.

Actually i absolutely hope that I made it apparent in my resume that I plan on practicing in North Carolina or my 10-15 years plan includes two letters: NC

So in conclusion i'm not a hundy percent certain that they reject applicants if they are "too good", that may just be a correlation...

I have a 4.00 and 40+ MCAT and I was accepted. Absolutely loved this school, and I think it showed in my interview.

So, they don't reject people for having stats that are "too high." ECU seems to tailor its class to the applicants that will "fit" with their program, and thinking that you are either "too good" or your stats are "too high" is probably not on the top of their list (or any other school's) for desirable personal characteristics.

Troll. Seriously... Nobody on here said they were "too good" they said that the school treats people with them like ****. They invited me to go on an interview, spend me $ and time. And when i get there they proceed to ask bs questions like "would you really come here over x." Really why would i spend my $ if I didn't think i would come here. They are rude and have no want to strive to be better, which every school and person should do. My interviewer made back handed comments bc of the undergrad i went to. I am sorry that is just uncalled for and low class. But you know me so well. I went in there like "i am soo awesome" "i deserve to be here." Caught me. I went there bc I wanted to get in and believed that my stats were actually quite average for premeds...and they are. This caliber of candidates sitting in the room were not the same as other places. Please go there. Than all of the 4.0 and 40+ can sit there and talk about how they weren't "too good" to be there and "they have awesome attitudes". I am talking about my experience. Bc the one person a friend of a friend of yours knows is a great sample size. And this guy... wow he must be for real. Please stick up for this school bc they need it after their attitude to candidates on interview day. Ohh go ahead and make arguments when the little knowledge you know about the person that posted stats and experience. WOW i am pissed...please guys stay in your corner of the world...this forum is great.

And now go... argue...'my friend's cousin's gf's son had a 45T and 4.0 and they got in. they must not care about stats.' "and I know ppl on this forum so well, they didn't get in bc of their attitude. I have a great attitude." whatever dude

HAHA ohh and i will say it... i am a a**hole. And so are you

My interviewer was actually really rude to me too. i created a program geared towards primary care needs in ENC last summer, and my guy didn't want to hear anything about it. Instead he just challenged my desire to be there and pressed me to see if I would choose ECU over UNC or Duke. I was really excited about ECU before I got there, but my interview day really turned me off.

Just accepted yesterday!! Interviewed 12/16! First acceptance and this is the one I really wanted!

My interviewer was actually really rude to me too. i created a program geared towards primary care needs in ENC last summer, and my guy didn't want to hear anything about it. Instead he just challenged my desire to be there and pressed me to see if I would choose ECU over UNC or Duke. I was really excited about ECU before I got there, but my interview day really turned me off.

My experience was the same. Not only was one interviewer really rude, in my secondary essay I wrote about a research proposal I had done to improve health outcomes in North Carolina by doing a project on community levels, and that this was something I hoped to get funding for at some point in North Carolina, while I was practicing in North Carolina, and in my exit interview I was told that the reason I did not get in was because they had some question about my commitment to North Carolina... go figure that one out. Not only that, I only applied to med schools in North Carolina. This whole process can get a bit surreal.

I asked, well, how do I convince you that I DO plan on staying here? "I'm not really sure." was the answer...

Well, I was rejected pre-interview. Which is very odd b/c last cycle I interviewed and they said my lack of clinical experience was my downfall. I have now been working full time in a hospital, and I guess it wasn't enough :rolleyes:. After calling a couple of times and not getting any definite answers, I sent a letter of interest, which was proof read by other pre-meds and even a medical student friend of mine, and I received a reject a week later :confused:. But I guess that is the way this application cycle goes...

I have scheduled my interview with ECU for the 22nd. I live in Durham and was wondering if y'all think it would be a good idea to drive down to greenville the morning of my interview... or if I should drive down the night before and stay in a hotel? I'd like to avoid the extra cost of a hotel if possible and unfortunately they told me they don't have student hosts to stay with. I've never been to the greenville area so I don't know how easy it is to find the school. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have scheduled my interview with ECU for the 22nd. I live in Durham and was wondering if y'all think it would be a good idea to drive down to greenville the morning of my interview... or if I should drive down the night before and stay in a hotel? I'd like to avoid the extra cost of a hotel if possible and unfortunately they told me they don't have student hosts to stay with. I've never been to the greenville area so I don't know how easy it is to find the school. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I made it in time when i left Raleigh around 7 am. I chilled out in Greenville for a bit before my interview (i think it started at 10 on the dot and I needed the extra 20 min to relax and talk to myself.) It worked out well for me, I can't think of any disadvantages...You should be fine leaving the same day! Just make sure to leave a little earlier than 8 because you might catch morning traffic in both cities, which is OK in Greenville because the medical school is on the edge of the town.

Good luck!! If you do plan on going the night before there are plenty of hotels closer to the medical school also so you don't get lost finding your way in the AM. PM me if you have any more questions!

I wasn't there... but maybe it was a stress interview. One of mine certainly could have been classified that way and I was also pushed to justify myself about... everything.

I made it in time when i left Raleigh around 7 am. I chilled out in Greenville for a bit before my interview (i think it started at 10 on the dot and I needed the extra 20 min to relax and talk to myself.) It worked out well for me, I can't think of any disadvantages...You should be fine leaving the same day! Just make sure to leave a little earlier than 8 because you might catch morning traffic in both cities, which is OK in Greenville because the medical school is on the edge of the town.

Good luck!! If you do plan on going the night before there are plenty of hotels closer to the medical school also so you don't get lost finding your way in the AM. PM me if you have any more questions!

Good advice, I left WAY early... around 6:30am. It worked out well. Just relax, make sure you eat breakfast (one of my interviews went over the allotted time, which was good... but still i wouldve gotten really hungry if i hadn't eaten b'fast) and you should have all those bases covered.

Thank you.. I hope to be seeing you guys next year! ECU really is a fantastic school, but they do seem to have some unusual stipulations with regards to admissions. I had to fight pretty hard for my residency status seeing as I'm currently working in another state. But I should think a high mcat score wouldn't work against you.

congrats to everyone who got in so far, and for those of you still waiting, keeping my fingers crossed :xf: i too got into Brody, and i am pretty stoked b/c it was my no.1 option :)
it may be a bit early for this, but i was wondering about living options. i did my undergrad at ECU so i am pretty familiar with the place...but still... anyone else started thinking about this? would it be easier to make a facebook group about BSOM c/o2014 and go from there? just some ideas...

congrats to everyone who got in so far, and for those of you still waiting, keeping my fingers crossed :xf: i too got into Brody, and i am pretty stoked b/c it was my no.1 option :)
it may be a bit early for this, but i was wondering about living options. i did my undergrad at ECU so i am pretty familiar with the place...but still... anyone else started thinking about this? would it be easier to make a facebook group about BSOM c/o2014 and go from there? just some ideas...

yeah i heard from an upperclassman that facebook was how he found his roommate.

Status
Not open for further replies.