2009-2010 East Carolina University (Brody) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a facebook group already. Just search Brody 2014.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks! I'd check it now, but facebook is blocked (along with almost every other website at the hospital)... I wouldn't mind at least beggining to look at apartment/housing complexes - especially ones frequented by Brody students

Members don't see this ad :)
yea, i'm waiting to get accepted in the group...

on another note, i heard that the waterford place is nice. some med students/nursing students/physicians rent there. it's not even 2 mins away, right by PCMH. it also has a 24 hr gym but...will we even have time for the basics like eating and sleeping?! lol

Got a rejection letter on Tuesday. Interviewed in Late September. 35 MCAT/~3.6 GPA....Pretty Good Experience I would say...And Close Ties to Brody and Greenville...

Thoughts???
When I interviewed one of our tour guides had a MCAT of 21 and a low GPA with admittedly little previous medical experience so stats and activities sometimes don't produce the expected results. It would be nice if admissions were as simple as great stats + great experience = acceptance.

I had the same problem really. I had a 36Q, 3.5, lots of experience and extracurriculars, and even a grandfather who helped found the school. I was rejected last year and I havent heard anything this year yet. I don't understand. I wanted to go to ECU. I feel like its a pride thing. They only give out 100-110 acceptances for 90 seats, which means they are amazing at getting people who have only one option.
Its frustrating because Yea, I applied to other schools, and yea my scores are good, but I am legitimately interested in ECU. Yet they reject me one year and make me wait 6 months this year (still waiting). I can't figure out what they are looking for. Maybe you really really have to show an interest in primary care/rural care. I tried at least.

I had the same problem really. I had a 36Q, 3.5, lots of experience and extracurriculars, and even a grandfather who helped found the school. I was rejected last year and I havent heard anything this year yet. I don't understand. I wanted to go to ECU. I feel like its a pride thing. They only give out 100-110 acceptances for 90 seats, which means they are amazing at getting people who have only one option.
Its frustrating because Yea, I applied to other schools, and yea my scores are good, but I am legitimately interested in ECU. Yet they reject me one year and make me wait 6 months this year (still waiting). I can't figure out what they are looking for. Maybe you really really have to show an interest in primary care/rural care. I tried at least.

I am also confounded, but have come to the conclusion that I am likely not going to re-apply there is I end up in that position. They normally give out 200+ offers to fill their class, so unless they are batting 100% there will be a slew of offers sent out as well as rejections. I applied for the second time with a good appplication and actually already received a rejection, so you may still be in contention. I think they rely on their "opinion" as to whether they believe that you will stay in state - who really knows.

I am also confounded, but have come to the conclusion that I am likely not going to re-apply there is I end up in that position. They normally give out 200+ offers to fill their class, so unless they are batting 100% there will be a slew of offers sent out as well as rejections. I applied for the second time with a good application and actually already received a rejection, so you may still be in contention. I think they rely on their "opinion" as to whether they believe that you will stay in state - who really knows.

200 is really high. I believe if I remember right, last year they gave out 110-120 offers.

200 is really high. I believe if I remember right, last year they gave out 110-120 offers.

If they only handed out 110-120 offers then they would need a much higher acceptance rate then the big dogs. I would expect that they send 180-200 offers, but maybe I'm wrong.

This case seems far too typical. It might seem like a contradiction to some, but a student can in fact be highly qualified yet still want to attend ECU and become a rural NC doctor. It is also true that many of us born outside of NC do enjoy the state and want to stick around after residency.

Last edited:
If they only handed out 110-120 offers then they would need a much higher acceptance rate then the big dogs. I would expect that they send 180-200 offers, but maybe I'm wrong.

On their website, they explicitly say somewhere (maybe in FAQs if I remember correctly) that they usually need to make ~120 offers to fill their class.

http://www.ecu.edu/cs-dhs/bsomadmissions/faqs.cfm

read point #30

On their website, they explicitly say somewhere (maybe in FAQs if I remember correctly) that they usually need to make ~120 offers to fill their class.

http://www.ecu.edu/cs-dhs/bsomadmissions/faqs.cfm

read point #30

It looks like your right; they typically make 120 offers. That is an unusually high acceptance rate. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that 50% of their admitted class are reapplicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
With the small class size and great professors, it is hard to pass up ECU if you want a hands-on education. Oh, and you can't beat one of the cheapest tuition rates in the nation!

ECU's update page says the school has made 67 offers. Hopefully all of us hear good news soon. If not soon, I have a bad feeling that I'll be relegated to the alternate list for the second year in a row. Ouch!

First of all, I am sorry that I am always off the topic. But, I just wanted everyone's opinion on this. umm..I had my interview like 2-3 weeks back but I have not send any thank you cards as of yet. Both of my interviews went well. I actually ended up emailing on of my interviewer like a week later (b/c I absolutely loved him!!) ...he has not replied as of yet but I am sure that he is really busy. Its been like 2 1/2 weeks..should I send in a thank you note card or not? Thank you :)

First of all, I am sorry that I am always off the topic. But, I just wanted everyone's opinion on this. umm..I had my interview like 2-3 weeks back but I have not send any thank you cards as of yet. Both of my interviews went well. I actually ended up emailing on of my interviewer like a week later (b/c I absolutely loved him!!) ...he has not replied as of yet but I am sure that he is really busy. Its been like 2 1/2 weeks..should I send in a thank you note card or not? Thank you :)

If you want to tell your interviewers thank you for taking the time to interview you, then by all means send them. However, don't send thank you letters thinking they will help you get in.

I was just wondering about the 'time frame' of thank you's! But, no problemo I have figured it out now! And, yep I understand that they can't accept students based on thank you cards b/c then they would be accepting about 400 students, right? lol!

Thank you for replying back buddy :)!

ECU's update page says the school has made 67 offers. Hopefully all of us hear good news soon. If not soon, I have a bad feeling that I'll be relegated to the alternate list for the second year in a row. Ouch!

Do you guys think that 67 is just number of total offers or do you think they change it to reflect the number of people who have declined each month?

Do you guys think that 67 is just number of total offers or do you think they change it to reflect the number of people who have declined each month?
I would guess that 67 is the number of total offers. It looks like ECU has about a 65% acceptance rate so I would guess that about 45 seats have been filled.

For what its worth I called last week and they said it may be a good thing that some of us have not heard anything because they have been giving out a lot of rejections. We will see soon, via the website, how many offers they have given out since the end of February...I guess not hearing anything is bittersweet

For what its worth I called last week and they said it may be a good thing that some of us have not heard anything because they have been giving out a lot of rejections. We will see soon, via the website, how many offers they have given out since the end of February...I guess not hearing anything is bittersweet
Thanks for the news Chevyt. I've been wondering why this thread is so quiet. I'm glad to hear that they've been rejecting, that means there's still hope!

lol ..exactly what I was about to write!!! ONE offer after sooo many days :eek::confused:. I have been checking the website every single day (more than once in a day) and it went up by ONE..but that person is truly lucky :)! I hope all of us who really want to go to this school will hear some good news soon :)

If it helps, I called a couple of weeks ago and the ladies in the office told me when the committee would be discussing me next. It makes the wait a little easier knowing that they won't be discussing me in the next couple weeks.

Does anyone know when the admissions office plans on sending out their final decisions? I thought that I remembered hearing late March or early April.

I just called and was told that all applicants have been reviewed, but no final decisions have been made and that we should hear back by the end of this month LATEST.....

I just called and was told that all applicants have been reviewed, but no final decisions have been made and that we should hear back by the end of this month LATEST.....

That would be really nice to hear by the end of march because most didn't hear until the deadline (may 15) last year. It would be nice to not have to sweat until may :thumbup:

Last edited:
I had called like 2 weeks ago and Ms. Lynn said that they are going to send out their final decisions in like 3 weeks. So, I think we should hear by the end of this month. And, yes last year ppl were hearing back real late. This is also my number one choice. It would be nice to find out now and have the whole summer of excitement :)!

anyone heard anything about the brody scholarship award? Thought they were going to give those out in March, but maybe I am wrong..

Does anybody know if they are done doing interviews? I saw in the past that interviews were conducted through the month of April, but there has not been much news on this forum lately about people interviewing still.

Also, I talked to the office on Friday and they said they were hoping to have all decisions made in 3-4 weeks, but there was no mention of if they were still conducting interviews. Hopefully we will all find something out soon!

anyone heard anything about the brody scholarship award? Thought they were going to give those out in March, but maybe I am wrong..

Yeah, my friend told me he got a letter saying he was nominated. Unfortunately, I never saw anything in the mail. :(

For those of who have been accepted (again congrats), have you gotten any mail or other updates?

I really haven't heard a thing since the acceptance letter in October... just wondering

For those of who have been accepted (again congrats), have you gotten any mail or other updates?

I really haven't heard a thing since the acceptance letter in October... just wondering

The only other things I've gotten from them since my acceptance letter was a receipt for my deposit and a one-pay flier that talked about financial aid and about the Student Affairs website and Orientation and stuff.

Hello :)

I just wanted to update you guys that I called like 2-3 days ago and I was told that everyone will hear in about 2-3 weeks. I hope that all of us will know something by the end of this month..atleast that is what I want lol! GL again :). I want my acceptance letter :xf::)

question: At this point, are they just trying to fill up all of their seats or are they going to send out all 120 offers? Just wondering!

Just fill up the 78 spots. As some people begin deferring they will begin to give out a few more acceptances, and wait on those peoples response. Schools like Brody who have such a low deferment rate tend to be careful with their acceptances to ensure they don't get an overage of matriculants.

I just got the financial aid info... The total costs will be just south of $30K (although it doesn't take into account the cost of living for the summer).

Compared to the $65-75K northern private schools I've been accepted to... makes the decision pretty easy ;)

PS. - Very Random - Does anyone know if Brody or the Hospital complex has a gym?

I just got the financial aid info... The total costs will be just south of $30K (although it doesn't take into account the cost of living for the summer).

Compared to the $65-75K northern private schools I've been accepted to... makes the decision pretty easy ;)

PS. - Very Random - Does anyone know if Brody or the Hospital complex has a gym?

What did you get in the mail? Was it your financial aid packet or just that one-page flier about financial aid and orientation?

What did you get in the mail? Was it your financial aid packet or just that one-page flier about financial aid and orientation?

I wouldn't really call it a packet - it was like three sheets of paper which listed the Stafford Loans (and amount in Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans) which I qualified for and had the directions on how to claim them online. There was also a cover sheet from ECU which said nothing of consequence beyond introducing and explaining the loan options.

However, it was not the one-page flyer that you were refering to.

Hope that helps...

Just fill up the 78 spots. As some people begin deferring they will begin to give out a few more acceptances, and wait on those peoples response. Schools like Brody who have such a low deferment rate tend to be careful with their acceptances to ensure they don't get an overage of matriculants.

Thank you! I was thinking that is how it would work. Hopefully, I will be 1 out of those 10 that are left. The decision must be really hard for them right now w/ so many students remaining and only 10 spots. And, yes you are right not very many students would want to give up their acceptance at Brody! I am SO nervous!

has anyone in received an interview invite for the brody scholarship? if so, could u please post stats?

i haven't heard anything and am curious if it's because of my stats.

I have a question for all the lucky people :)

Did anyone of you get a call from BSOM or was it just plain mail?

The ECU admissions page was last updated on 3/15/10. It still shows "68 Offers Made." This doesn't mean 68 spots have been filled, right? How often do they update this page? How long to they give applicants to respond to their offer of admission? Thanks.

The ECU admissions page was last updated on 3/15/10. It still shows "68 Offers Made." This doesn't mean 68 spots have been filled, right? How often do they update this page? How long to they give applicants to respond to their offer of admission? Thanks.
The letter asks that you respond w/in 3 weeks. Your seat can be held w/ a $100 deposit which is refundable until May 15th.

Well they have now made 10 more offers and I won't be able to check my mail until saturday...so I am wondering if any of you on here were part of that lucky 10?

I have a question for all the lucky people :)

Did anyone of you get a call from BSOM or was it just plain mail?

i got a call the day i was accepted, the packet followed in the next couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.