2009-2010 East Carolina University (Brody) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well they have now made 10 more offers and I won't be able to check my mail until saturday...so I am wondering if any of you on here were part of that lucky 10?

I was waitlisted last year so I am holding out for some good news this time around; but nope, still no word for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, I got the THIN envelope in the mail on Wednesday.
To reapply or not reapply?? That is my question....
GPA: 3.7
MCAT: 29

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, I got the THIN envelope in the mail on Wednesday.
To reapply or not reapply?? That is my question....
GPA: 3.7
MCAT: 29

Schedule a meeting with Dr. Peden to go over your application and he will tell you whether its worth reapplying.

Thats what I did and it worked for me and I had somewhat similar stats the first go around.

Unfortunately, I got the thin packet as well. I really wanted to go to this school. I was done w/ apps in end of Sept. and got rejected in March.. hurts! Oh, and I had asked about 'if any of lucky ppl got any calls' b/c I had a miss call on my house ph from ECU. Now with this rejection.. I know that was for something else. Gluck to all the people who have been accepted..you guys are REALLY LUCKY :)!

If I had been accepted my mess. would've read (just want to type it out):

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! I got accepted to BSOMMMMMM- MY DREAM SCHOOL!! I am SOOOOOOOOOOO happy :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Sadly..I am crying right now :'(.

Unfortunately, I got the thin packet as well. I really wanted to go to this school. I was done w/ apps in end of Sept. and got rejected in March.. hurts! Oh, and I had asked about 'if any of lucky ppl got any calls' b/c I had a miss call on my house ph from ECU. Now with this rejection.. I know that was for something else. Gluck to all the people who have been accepted..you guys are REALLY LUCKY :)!

If I had been accepted my mess. would've read (just want to type it out):

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! I got accepted to BSOMMMMMM- MY DREAM SCHOOL!! I am SOOOOOOOOOOO happy :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Sadly..I am crying right now :'(.

Sorry to hear that. Follow up with Dr. Peden as kjv wrote earlier. It really helps, whether you're reapplying to Brody or other schools. Good luck to you and those of you still waiting! Keep your head high you're all going to make great doctors!

KMD

I haven't heard anything from Brody...is no news still good news at this point? I'd appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks!

I haven't heard anything from Brody...is no news still good news at this point? I'd appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks!

I'm in the same boat. I almost feel like they forgot I even applied to the school. I interviewed in early November and have received zero correspondence from Brody since, and I'm pretty sure they admitted at the interview that a lot of people would not hear anything until March...but now it's April? What's the deal?

just got in today! but im gonna go to unc so good luck to whoever gets it!!:thumbup:

on their page it is stated that as of april 1st there were 78 offers made, but it takes approx. 100-125 offers to fill up a class.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the people who got waitlisted, don't be discouraged. I personally know of >10 who got into ECU and another school, and they are choosing to go to the other school. The waitlist should move a lot from what I can see!

Apparently no news is still good news - I interviewed in September, haven't heard anything since, and received an acceptance letter in the mail today (despite the fact that I tried to withdraw already??), dated 4/7. So count another space that will open up for a waitlister.. maybe my withdrawal attempt will get through this time :rolleyes:

interviewed in september, waitlist today

as;lkdfja;lskjdf;qiowefqoiwjaefjsdkflj

I was placed on the alternate list yesterday as well...I don't really know what to expect as far as movement on this list. From what I gathered ECU does not rank its alternates but it chooses from the list based on the individual who rejected their offer. So I guess if a white female, mid 20's, rejected their offer who is from a middle class background, then that is the type of person they would pull from the alternate list to replace her? Is that kind of what everyone else is thinking or am I way off?

I was just waitlisted at ECU for the second year in a row. Maybe I'll set the record for number of times waitlisted. I have good stats and experience, but I think that's probably not the issue.

Hopefully the waitlist this year is small and has plenty of movement.

I was just waitlisted at ECU for the second year in a row. Maybe I'll set the record for number of times waitlisted. I have good stats and experience, but I think that's probably not the issue.

Hopefully the waitlist this year is small and has plenty of movement.

Did you talk to the Dean last year and ask why you were waitlisted?

Did you talk to the Dean last year and ask why you were waitlisted?
Yes, from my understanding the committee was primarily concerned that I did not have sufficient roots in North Carolina -- a concern since I have only been a resident for 4 years. I would guess there were also other lesser factors that affected the decision.

Last edited:
Is there anyone out there on SDN that has yet to receive any notification from ECU? I haven't received anything yet, but it seems everyone has been receiving their acceptances, wait lists, and rejections that are dated April 7 either last week or this week. Is this the date on everyone's letters? I'm thinking about calling the admissions office to figure out what is going on, but I wanted to see if anyone else was in the same boat.

Is there anyone out there on SDN that has yet to receive any notification from ECU? I haven't received anything yet, but it seems everyone has been receiving their acceptances, wait lists, and rejections that are dated April 7 either last week or this week. Is this the date on everyone's letters? I'm thinking about calling the admissions office to figure out what is going on, but I wanted to see if anyone else was in the same boat.

Hopefully the admissions office has some good news for you.

Hopefully the admissions office has some good news for you.

Haha I figured not but get this. I called and they told me to give it a few more days and I still didn't get anything, so called back. Turns out they mailed me a rejection letter in FEBRUARY. So I suppose no news is good news in this process unless no news means your letter was lost in the mail three months ago. No way for me to have known that's what happened. Just glad it wasn't an acceptance and that I missed the deadline to hold a spot because that would have totally blown. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear.

Have any of you heard if the waitlist is moving yet?

Waitlisted 4/12
Accepted 4/22

Accepted by snail mail, no phone call

Brody Admissions said:
As of April 30, 2010, we have .....

• Received 918 AMCAS applications
  • Received 802 Supplementary applications
  • Interviewed 506 applicants
  • Made 98 offers
  • (Generally it takes 100-125 offers to fill a class)

Updated today

Waitlisted 4/12
Accepted 4/22

Congrat Szent!

Guys I will be headin up there next Monday and Tuesday to look at apartment...

Do any of you know where you'll be living (or where alot of medical students live - I keep hearing Treybrooke and Waterford)

Thanks

Accepted today by snail mail off the alternate list!

Interviewed: 09/28/09

FIRST ACCEPTANCE! :D

Congrat Szent!

Guys I will be headin up there next Monday and Tuesday to look at apartment...

Do any of you know where you'll be living (or where alot of medical students live - I keep hearing Treybrooke and Waterford)

Thanks

well i really liked treybrooke so i signed the lease there. also, if u check out the facebook page for BSOM2014 u'll see that a bunch of peeps already did that too. it really is a great deal, not too expensive, and as a bonus, w/in walking distance. holly glen is ok but unfortunately it had a lot of break-in issues. waterford is more expensive...it really comes down to how much you are willing to spend on renting. good luck with the decision!

Hey
I was accepted to ECU yesterday by snailmail. I knew something was about to happen, because a request for a background check came to my email. I was like....hmmmmm MUSC doesnt do that (the only school I am currently accepted to) it must be someone else. Sure enough when I got home there was a letter waiting for me.

I was all set to go, and even starting to get excited, when this afternoon Wake offered me a spot on their waitlist. Thats the one Ive been waiting for, Ill be going. So I will be giving up my spot for one of you guys!

Keep up the hope I am living proof the waitlist moves. Interviewed the week before Thanksgiving, waitlisted middle of April, Accepted May 22nd. MCAT 36Q, GPA 3.54, International Clinics galore and lots of research are on my app to those who always want to know.

Congrats! Has anyone accepted to ECU off the waitlist gotten one of those background check emails, see previous post, before they were accepted? Or, do y'all think that email might have been from Wake?

Congrats! Has anyone accepted to ECU off the waitlist gotten one of those background check emails, see previous post, before they were accepted? Or, do y'all think that email might have been from Wake?

I wasn't accepted of the waitlist, but I got the background check e-mail when I was accepted. It came probably a day before I got the letter through snail mail.

Hey everyone,

Okay I need your advice..

I was accepted into GW's med school and waitlisted at Brody as well as EVMS.. I really really want to go to Brody though. I know they have a somewhat higher acceptance rate of re-applicants than other med schools and so I'm thinking of denying my acceptance offer to George Washington and just reapplying to med schools again this summer/fall. I'm angry at myself because I turned in my secondary to Brody late this past winter due to getting bogged down with a research project and other unforseeable circumstances, so I'm wondering if maybe I would have gotten in had I not interviewed so late in the spring. I mean, they've already offered 113 spots so far this year so I doubt I'm getting in off the waitlist at this point, but I'm still hoping.
I've tried to talk to a lot of people about this, and I've had some people say that well if you want to be a doctor and you're given an opportunity to go to medical school, no matter what you take it! And I do DEFINITELY want to be a doctor, its just that my family has had a very difficult financial situation and I'm very disinclined to take on at least 300,000 in loans. Plus the more I look into Brody's program, the more I want to be a part of it..

So what should I do?! :(

Honestly (as a BSOM 2014) I would go to GW. I've pretty much been told that if you get a decent acceptance - then take it because there is no guarante of getting another. That being said, if you really like ECU and are a good, instate-student then I feel you will have a good chance as a re-applicant (ECU is very kind to them).

Hope it helps

Status
Not open for further replies.