2009-2010 Texas Tech El Paso (Paul L. Foster) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is no secondary essay.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
According to people who applied last year, they do not have a secondary.

According to people who applied last year, they do not have a secondary.

Yeah there's no secondary application/fee for the TTU Foster School of Medicine even though it is actually listed on the TTUHSC secondary site. I've called admissions to confirm.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah there's no secondary application/fee for the TTU Foster School of Medicine even though it is actually listed on the TTUHSC secondary site. I've called admissions to confirm.
According to TMDSAS, TTECH EP doesn't rquire secondary & $$$ !! Yeah. 50 bucks saved.

got an interview offer today, but merlin won't let me in!!!

nevermind i think i figured it out. stupid merlin.....

got a 30. not what i was hopin for, had a mini freak out in the middle of it.

Hey do they have student host housing? I don't want to have to throw away another paycheck to Tech. They ought to do el paso and lubbock interviews in the same place! They're both TEXAS TECH as it is.

Got an interview offer via email today. Will be interviewing on 9/3!

Haven't seen anything about student hosts, but since this is a brand new school it doesn't surprise me. Aren't student hosts for other schools usually MS-3 and 4?

Hey do they have student host housing? I don't want to have to throw away another paycheck to Tech. They ought to do el paso and lubbock interviews in the same place! They're both TEXAS TECH as it is.

Yeah, they should also do UTSA/UTMB/UT-H/UTSW in the same place too, they're all University of Texas!

TT Lubbock and Foster are completely independent of each other, like the above UT schools are separate.

But personally, I wouldn't mind if they centralized all Texas interviews.

Hi everyone,
I'm a current student at PLF-SOM (MSI). We started our Spanish class & orientation for other courses last week. We're gonna start our official medical courses on August 3rd. Just want to say hi & hope to see some of you soon at PLF-SOM.

I am also a MSI here in PLFSOM, just dropping by and saying hi to everybody on this thread.

for those who will be interviewing here, congratulations!! I look forward to meet each and every one of you.

I really liked student host and interview social when I was interviewing last year, we are definitely going to talk with student affair about it. I have already mentioned it to a few people in my class who are all very enthusiastic about the idea.

if you guys have any questions, don't hesitate to ask, we will be glad to answer them :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also a MSI here in PLFSOM, just dropping by and saying hi to everybody on this thread.

for those who will be interviewing here, congratulations!! I look forward to meet each and every one of you.

I really liked student host and interview social when I was interviewing last year, we are definitely going to talk with student affair about it. I have already mentioned it to a few people in my class who are all very enthusiastic about the idea.

if you guys have any questions, don't hesitate to ask, we will be glad to answer them :)

So, are you saying that you enjoyed this experience at other schools...or that PLFSOM did these things last year? Looking forward to visiting El Paso and meeting ya'll!

So, are you saying that you enjoyed this experience at other schools...or that PLFSOM did these things last year? Looking forward to visiting El Paso and meeting ya'll!

I meant when I interviewed at other schools last year.

Most med schools in Texas, if not all, have student host; UT houston has interview socials the night before the interview, which is like a get together at a local bar/restaurant. I love the idea of both at PLFSOM.

Best of luck!

I meant when I interviewed at other schools last year.

Most med schools in Texas, if not all, have student host; UT houston has interview socials the night before the interview, which is like a get together at a local bar/restaurant. I love the idea of both at PLFSOM.

Best of luck!

what were the interviews like at foster, and are we supposed to get some more information from them before the interview?

what were the interviews like at foster, and are we supposed to get some more information from them before the interview?

If I remember it correctly, the invitational email from PLFSOM should have general information like (direction/address to school, interview date, the time that you are expected to show up to school, hotel information... etc) If the email does not have these infos, the school website should have most of it.

as far as interview day goes, you will get an interview packet first thing in the morning and be randomly assigned to two interviewers; last year, I think I had one interview in the morning and one in the afternoon, and we toured the teaching hospital (University Medical Center) at the end of the interview. The actual interviews were casual and conversational, shouldn't be bad at all!

To vortex 11 "hello to my classmate, although I don't know who you are :)"
To meerkatmd: my interview day was not bad at all, so don't worry too much. we had an intro. about PLFSOM/curriculum in the morning. After that, I had 2 one-one-one interviews back to back (1-1:30 &1:30-2). You will know your interviewers on the day of interview. I had 1 Ph.D. interviewer & 1 MD interviewer. Questions were: why medicine? ethical questions, why PLFSOM, what do you think about El Paso, your plan 10 yrs/20yrs from now, questions regarding your research & extracurricular activities, HMO, & any questions you might have for the interviewers. Good luck!!!

interview offer today, 9/3

good luck to everyone else applying

hey, does anyone know where exactly on campus we are supposed to go in the morning fort eh interviews? the email they sent us was not very explicit (at least not to me).

hey, does anyone know where exactly on campus we are supposed to go in the morning fort eh interviews? the email they sent us was not very explicit (at least not to me).

I believe it would be the medical education building (MEB), good luck!

I haven't got the invite yet, but I'm curious to know if: people from Houston/Dallas/SA/Austin, are you guys driving or flying there for the interview?

I haven't got the invite yet, but I'm curious to know if: people from Houston/Dallas/SA/Austin, are you guys driving or flying there for the interview?

From Dallas...flying. Southwest Airlines ~$190 round trip. Renting a car, and staying with a physician I know.

I believe the class of 2014 will have 60 students.

this is ridikkulus. there should be student hosts.

i was pleasantly surprised by this school. the clinical simulation center or whtever it was called was phenomenal, and they are building on to thomason.

Post the link, please.

I forgot to mention that student hosting will be available for interviews after September 3rd; you will receive an email from us about student hosting if your interview date fits in that time frame.

When finishing my Tech secondary, I realized there is a check mark by my status for Tech, but a wrench by my status for PLFSOM. The wrench means it is not complete.
My TMDSAS was verified a few weeks ago. Any one else getting this?

When finishing my Tech secondary, I realized there is a check mark by my status for Tech, but a wrench by my status for PLFSOM. The wrench means it is not complete.

yep - same thing...and I just came back from an interview at the Texas Tech in Lubbock...so I don't know why it looks like that!

I have an interview 9/17! Any suggestions on where to stay?

I've interviewed at Lubbock, and have a scheduled interview at El Paso. Mine still looks like that, so it's normal.

Thanks for the suggestions especially the link!

I applied to both schools, but on the secondary page for Tech, I don't see anything about PLFSOM. Is there something I am missing? should I call the school, or will that just annoy them?

Ok, I'm obviously ******ed, but where are you seeing a status fro PLFSOM? Did you complete a separate "application" in the secondary for PLFSOM?

I think I remember this happening to me as well. I believe that I waited for the interview offer in the email, and when I got it, I logged into Merlin and clicked "Start Application". Then I selected PLFSOM from the list of schools, and it brought up the interview scheduling menu. I suppose you could do the same thing without an interview invite, it just wouldn't have any functionality. It doesn't appear that they do any updating of your status through Merlin, I've already had an interview in Lubbock, and nothing ever changed on the status page. Hope that helped.

Interview 9/17. Anyone else on the same day want to share a room and split the cost? PM me please.
Definitely flying there... Can't imagine a 10hr drive from houston >.<

For you guys who are getting the most recent interview invites, when did your TMDSAS verify?

Interview 9/17. Anyone else on the same day want to share a room and split the cost? PM me please.
Definitely flying there... Can't imagine a 10hr drive from houston >.<
f that.... i just search the ticket via orbitz and the cheapest i can find now for the sept. 10 interview day is $33x plus tax... it is expensive as hell.... I believe I saw around $200 few weeks earlier...:(

Quick question dudes:

I am invited for an interview 9/10, if I go by air, >$400 travel expense
if I drive there (from houston), >20 hours driving, ~3/4 tanks of gas, and ~$60 motel

Worth or not worth to go to the interview at all?

I would like to attend this school if thats my only acceptance, but not if I am accepted to somewhere else.

See my MDapp for my personal info. I cant figure out how to update it in the new MDapp tho.

Thanks for looking at it :p

Quick question dudes:

I am invited for an interview 9/10, if I go by air, >$400 travel expense
if I drive there (from houston), >20 hours driving, ~3/4 tanks of gas, and ~$60 motel

Worth or not worth to go to the interview at all?

I would like to attend this school if thats my only acceptance, but not if I am accepted to somewhere else.

See my MDapp for my personal info. I cant figure out how to update it in the new MDapp tho.

Thanks for looking at it :p

I would always recommend going to an interview unless you have already received an acceptance letter. Think about how much more money you will be spending by reapplying next year if you don't get in this year.

I would always recommend going to an interview unless you have already received an acceptance letter. Think about how much more money you will be spending by reapplying next year if you don't get in this year.
Thanks for your reply dude!

I'm interviewing Oct. 1st & scored a student host. :)

How did the first rounds of interviews go? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

:-( no student host for me

Sorry - I guess you had to be quick with the reply email...

BTW: Can we NOT turn this thread into a lengthy debate about safety/security in El Paso/Juarez? This topic was covered ad nauseum in the "Class of 2013" thread. k - thanks. :)

Sorry - I guess you had to be quick with the reply email...

BTW: Can we NOT turn this thread into a lengthy debate about safety/security in El Paso/Juarez? This topic was covered ad nauseum in the "Class of 2013" thread. k - thanks. :)

Why bring up a topic you don't want discussed?:confused:

As for your previous question...my interview day went great! Very conversational, yet important questions were asked. Probably my favorite interview experience to date--the interviewers were low stress, but they asked very intelligent questions that required serious thought. I thought the little speech given by Dr. de la Rosa at the beginning of the day was spot on, and I'd recommend really heeding his advice (if he gives the speech he gave us). Other interviewees seemed to have similar experiences, although I talked to one guy that seemed a little uneasy about how one of his interviews went. Simulation center is very impressive, faculty seem very driven to make PLFSOM successful, and current first years appear to be a quality group of folks. Curriculum is very integrated.

Good luck with your interviews!

Status
Not open for further replies.