2009-2010 Texas Tech El Paso (Paul L. Foster) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone else interviewing tomorrow? see you there

Members don't see this ad.

Yup, TTU Lubbock does things totally different than El Paso. It is no more similar than UTSA and UTMB....two totally different schools.

And to the person is making judgements without seeing the school - they probably don't want you there anyway if you're that closed-minded. When I interviewed there I LOVED the school, I was floored. Y'all have an awesome school and staff. Your cons don't make sense anyway, angry there's not enough research and then mad because you have to do research?? :smack:

How are you liking their curriculum format there, meangreen??

I love the curriculum format, I think it's brilliant. It's tough, especially trying to learn neuro and musculoskeletal in the same unit, but they keep saying that this is one of the hardest units, so we'll see how that works out. Everyone who makes it through Thanksgiving should be in a pretty good place. And they just decided this week that our tests aren't going to be cumulative anymore, so if that was a problem before, it's not now. I give a pretty general overview of "a week in the life..." earlier in this thread, and as I state there, I really like the layout, I like feeling like a doctor, even if it's mostly psychological.

P.S. Who do you root for in the Tech-A&M game tonight? That's turning into quite the rivalry...

anyone else interviewing tomorrow? see you there

Hey noahconstrictor,

Hope you had a good time at your interview. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions about the process or the school or whatever.

MGMD

Members don't see this ad :)
I love the curriculum format, I think it's brilliant. It's tough, especially trying to learn neuro and musculoskeletal in the same unit, but they keep saying that this is one of the hardest units, so we'll see how that works out. Everyone who makes it through Thanksgiving should be in a pretty good place. And they just decided this week that our tests aren't going to be cumulative anymore, so if that was a problem before, it's not now. I give a pretty general overview of "a week in the life..." earlier in this thread, and as I state there, I really like the layout, I like feeling like a doctor, even if it's mostly psychological.

P.S. Who do you root for in the Tech-A&M game tonight? That's turning into quite the rivalry...

Wow that's great! I was curious about how the cum. format would work out, it kind of intimidated me when I was there. Glad to see you all got that overturned if it wasn't working for you - really shows that your faculty is there for the students. :thumbup:

AND what kind of question is that? A&M x a million. Once an Aggie, ALWAYS an Aggie. :laugh: You know how traditional we are down in CS. lol - it was quite the game. I don't think Tech was expecting that. EDIT: I don't think anyone was expecting that.

do you guys know if foster is sending out acceptances on 11/15, what with that being a sunday?

Wow that's great! I was curious about how the cum. format would work out, it kind of intimidated me when I was there. Glad to see you all got that overturned if it wasn't working for you - really shows that your faculty is there for the students. :thumbup:

AND what kind of question is that? A&M x a million. Once an Aggie, ALWAYS an Aggie. :laugh: You know how traditional we are down in CS. lol - it was quite the game. I don't think Tech was expecting that. EDIT: I don't think anyone was expecting that.

I assumed that was the case, but I know that we are getting bombarded with Texas Tech stuff here in El Paso, so I'm sure you guys are getting even more since you are actually in Lubbock, so I wasn't sure if you were having to be a little more covert or what.

And the absolute greatest thing about everything going on here in El Paso is that the faculty are willing to make changes to make our learning more efficient and help us to do better. The faculty are just great. We'll see how things play out, but for now, I couldn't be happier with how the faculty approaches us and takes care of us.

Glad to here you guys are kicking butt in Lubbock.

MGMD

do you guys know if foster is sending out acceptances on 11/15, what with that being a sunday?

I know that last year November 15th was on a Saturday, so they sent out the first batch of the prematch information on Friday, November 14th instead.

I would GUESS that they will do the same thing this year and release the first batches on Friday, November 13th, but I will ask the folks in the office about this and make sure. This is usually a policy set by TMDSAS, so you might also check their website to see if they comment on that item specifically, and once you get one policy, this should be consistent from school to school.

Good Luck!!

MGMD

Hey! I just got an interview yesterday for December 3rd. I am very excited. It seems like most people enjoyed the simulation lab the most, so I look forward to seeing it!

Anyone else for December 3rd?

Hey! I just got an interview yesterday for December 3rd. I am very excited. It seems like most people enjoyed the simulation lab the most, so I look forward to seeing it!

Hey do I know you?? Make sure you look for Mean Green MD. Just walk around with your eagle talon out, he'll find ya'. :rofl:

Hey Guys, I'm new on this thread. I also will be there on December 3rd. Very Excited! Are you staying with a student host a night before? Anyone else for Dec 3rd?

Any tips or suggestions from anyone who has already interviewed there?

Interviews are laid back, but expect some thought provoking questions. Both of my interviewers were very good about guiding the interview along efficiently. Both interviewers knew my file very well, probably the most prepared I've seen my interviewers at any school. All the other interviewees I talked to seemed to have very positive interview experiences as well. Be prepared to answer the good 'ole ethics question or two, and know where you stand with health policy. I truly got the impression that they didn't care where you stood on a given issue, just that you had a stance. The old adage 'just be yourself' always applies.

Try to chat with the current students some, they seem to be a great group of people!

I stayed with a friend, so I don't have specific advice about lodging.

Hey Guys, I'm new on this thread. I also will be there on December 3rd. Very Excited! Are you staying with a student host a night before? Anyone else for Dec 3rd?

Any tips or suggestions from anyone who has already interviewed there?

I e-mailed to late to stay with a student (even though I sent one an hour after I got the interview). I think I am going to stay at the Hyatt. Can't wait to see you there!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was invited for an interview for either Dec 3 or 10. Unfortunately, I cannot make either of those dates because they are right in the middle of finals at my school. The admissions office told me that there were no more interview dates beyond Dec 10th and I couldn't do anything about it. I realize that they have small class sizes, but I am sorely disappointed that I didn't get a chance to see the school even though my TMDSAS was complete in early July.

Isn't Dec 10th a very early date to end interviewing?

I was invited for an interview for either Dec 3 or 10. Unfortunately, I cannot make either of those dates because they are right in the middle of finals at my school. The admissions office told me that there were no more interview dates beyond Dec 10th and I couldn't do anything about it. I realize that they have small class sizes, but I am sorely disappointed that I didn't get a chance to see the school even though my TMDSAS was complete in early July.

Isn't Dec 10th a very early date to end interviewing?

Not really, from what I've seen. Baylor goes later, but they start later too. I think everyone else in Texas is done in December generally.

None of your undergrad profs are willing to work with you? It's only medical school...

I'm interviewing on 11/12/09. Anyone else???

so do the offers go out on friday the 13th (@_@) or monday, anyone know the answer?

I just thought I'd mention that I received my acceptance email @ 3:53 pm on October 16th. I'm OOS by the way. So my guess would be that they would send some out this Friday afternoon.

TMDSAS says Friday at noon.

I think TMDSAS has allowed the schools to send out acceptances on Friday Nov 13th at noon, but it is up to the individual school if they start then or wait till the following Monday.

Hey Yall,

For those who have already interviewed here, were your interviewers friendly, down to earth or were they the "serious" type and kept the conversation purely business and to the point (meaning did they discuss other random things or not)?

This is will be my second interview (Applied late in the cycle), so just hoping I do well.

kingM, post #111 for my thoughts.

Good luck to those of you who interviewed..... its almost noon.......
i'm counting down.........6 hours 18 mins and 20 sec..................6 hours 18 min and 19 sec..... tick tock........ tick tock........

nothing? i'm too afraid to check and anticipate an email. That's why I'm refreshing sdn every minute to see which schools are giving out acceptances today

congrats, meerkatmd!!!!

congrats meerkat!!!!!!!!! i'm shaking with you! i'm really happy for all of ya'll. i hope i have good news when i finally check. i refuse to do it while i'm at work.

Accepted!! I'm shaking.

CONGRATULATIONS MEERKAT!!!! Hopefully we'll see you out here in the Spring and starting up in the Summer!!!

Don't give up hope the rest of you, it's a long process and they send things out in bunches... :xf:

MeanGreenMD

I know the pre-match last until december, but do they hand out offers the whole period, or just today (or maybe monday)?

I just interviewed yesterday, and Mr. Snelling said that they were going to send out "a whole bunch" of pre-match offers today, and that pre-match offers for our group that interviewed yesterday would be sent out Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

So, perhaps all the pre-match offers for people who interviewed earlier in the season have been sent out already? Idk...

I just interviewed yesterday, and Mr. Snelling said that they were going to send out "a whole bunch" of pre-match offers today, and that pre-match offers for our group that interviewed yesterday would be sent out Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

So, perhaps all the pre-match offers for people who interviewed earlier in the season have been sent out already? Idk...

I don't know the ins and outs of excactly how they are going to do it, but I know that last year they made offers once month or so (as did most of the other Texas Schools) These are typically MUCH smaller than the batch they send out over the first few days of pre-match, but as they start getting acceptances and denials and getting a feel for how many seats are left and how many they want to save for Match and things like that, so just because you don't get one by the end of next week, doesn't mean it isn't coming, and certainly shouldn't have you worried too much about your shot at getting in, most people match into the school they end up going to, so I know it's hard, but try not to get too worked up.

Good Luck to everyone, congrats to all my future schoolmates and I hope to see you guys in the spring. If you have any questions as you start to narrow down options or decide where to rank PLFSOM, let me know and I will happy to answer any questions I can.

MGMD

Accepted!:D
Found out yesterday via email!

I'm going to the interview on Dec. 3rd :) This is actually the only one I got so far, and since I don't have ANY interview experiences I'm getting very nervous about this..sigh.. I see many of you already got accepted (congrats!!) and wonder how many spots are left for us now, not many for sure lol. Oh, I get to stay with one of their students heheh

Do they have some kind of interviewee propriety list or something? I was invited to this interview even later than those who applied late. and I personally think it's because they seem to be more competitive based on the application so the school can give opportunities to them first.. T_T

Last edited:
I forgot what's the class size for this year, but I heard they are filling up 50% of their class during pre-match.

Did anyone get a full-ride scholarship? ;)
I know they were handing those out last year.

Wow, congratulations! Thats probably the quickest turnover ever!

If you don't mind me asking, how did you prepare for your interview?

Thanks

THANKS!
I honestly did not do anything to prepare
I was myself!....and throughout the day i made sure to think to Questions to ask!!
My first interviewer literally just sat me down and said "So what are your Questions for me" LOL soo i had a few i though of about 5 mins before entering his office! thankfully!
I did get asked about health care
2nd interviewer was REALLY nice & I got asked lots of interesting questions, but i was honest, i spoke my mind, and i felt both interviews went REALLY well!!
I would come with questions, have knowledge on health care reform (Esp since that new bill passed in the house), and lastly KNOW WHO YOU ARE!! lol
goooooooood luck! that school is beyond amazing..i loved it!

Interviewed 11/12, accepted today :) . I'm pretty excited. what an incredible school. interview day did a pretty great job of making me pumped for el paso. i could definitely see myself here.

In related news, this semester is probably not going to be my best one, i'm looking at a slew of Bs, an A and i'm boderline C/B in a lab. thats what i get for missing for all these interviews. none of them are prereqs and i don't really need any of them for my degree. does anyone know what Foster is gonna think of this?

Interviewed 11/12, accepted today :) . I'm pretty excited. what an incredible school. interview day did a pretty great job of making me pumped for el paso. i could definitely see myself here.

In related news, this semester is probably not going to be my best one, i'm looking at a slew of Bs, an A and i'm boderline C/B in a lab. thats what i get for missing for all these interviews. none of them are prereqs and i don't really need any of them for my degree. does anyone know what Foster is gonna think of this?

as long as u pass u should be fine! I MEAN U GOT ACCEPTED!!! JUST GRADUATE AND THE END... LIFE IS GOOOOOOOOOD! congrats possible future classmate :)

do u have any other offers?

The email I received said to let them know about our decision in two weeks. Are we supposed to reply to the email or wait until the snail mail gets to us?

Also, who all has this as their first choice?

The email I received said to let them know about our decision in two weeks. Are we supposed to reply to the email or wait until the snail mail gets to us?

Also, who all has this as their first choice?

If you go on the Merlin Website you can accept there! I just did :)
I will probably email too

as long as u pass u should be fine! I MEAN U GOT ACCEPTED!!! JUST GRADUATE AND THE END... LIFE IS GOOOOOOOOOD! congrats possible future classmate :)

do u have any other offers?

Thanks, you too! from the look of it we interviewed the same day too. Yeah, hopefully that will be their point of view too.

I got an offer from TCOM, but i'm leaning way more towards El Paso. what about you?

Status
Not open for further replies.