2010-2011 Oakland University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got rejected pre-interview :(

Members don't see this ad.

Just got my interview invite, and I might have to reschedule :mad:! Hopefully it'll be painless like it was at Wayne. The nice thing is that I only live 10 minutes away, and I'm auditing Human Anatomy with Dr. Bee, an awesome professor who'll be one of the Med School Master Instructors :D. Honestly, I'm surprised that I even got one with how late I applied thanks to an error which saved but didn't confirm and essay. I only got the thing submitted in mid October I believe.

What do you mean by reschedule? Didn't you get a choice of when to pick your date? for me it was.
But at my interview day they told us that they are continually changing their interview days and process as they get more and more feedback from their interviewees, maybe this was one of them.
It is a great school by the way, and the faculty is just one of the most laid back and cool I have seen so far.

Last edited:
I'm getting set to interview on Feb 25. I am really excited as this school seems awesome with their student-centered approach and systems based curriculum.

I spoke with my pre-med advisor and he also said that since it was a new school, many of those who were accepted here and other places will likely go other places. But that's just his guess. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm getting set to interview on Feb 25. I am really excited as this school seems awesome with their student-centered approach and systems based curriculum.

I spoke with my pre-med advisor and he also said that since it was a new school, many of those who were accepted here and other places will likely go other places. But that's just his guess. Good luck everyone!

Looks like we'll meet on the 25th (I'm interviewing then as well) -- super excited!

Just got my interview invite, and I might have to reschedule :mad:! Hopefully it'll be painless like it was at Wayne. The nice thing is that I only live 10 minutes away, and I'm auditing Human Anatomy with Dr. Bee, an awesome professor who'll be one of the Med School Master Instructors :D. Honestly, I'm surprised that I even got one with how late I applied thanks to an error which saved but didn't confirm and essay. I only got the thing submitted in mid October I believe.
I rescheduled my interview. It was easy, no excuses necessary. Just call the office and they'll allow you to pick a new date online.

Has anyone heard anything recently from their hold list?

To those of you who have already interviewed, what was the trip to Beaumont/interview with the physician like? Is it a group interview or individual?

For the trip to beaumont we all packed in a charter bus and took the short trip to the hospital (which is huge by the way). We were then broken into 2 groups, half went on a tour and checked out the hospital, and all the cool surgical skills labs and other areas of the hospital. The interview was one on one, probably only about a half of an hour. The interview was very laid back and more like a conversation then anything, no tough questions (for me at least) and everyone seemed to have a good time with their interviewer.

To those of you who have already interviewed, what was the trip to Beaumont/interview with the physician like? Is it a group interview or individual?

I loved my interview with the physician. It was really laid back and friendly. After getting the questions she had to ask out of the way, we just talked about my interests and who I am. Beaumont royal oak is a really nice hospital too. Our guide was hilarious and it was interesting to learn things from his point of view. Honestly, this part of the interview day was really nice. Good luck and enjoy visiting Oakland University.

I have a few questions about the interview as I am preparing for mine in a few weeks.

What questions did she "have to ask?" Were the interviews closed or open file?

Thanks!

I have a few questions about the interview as I am preparing for mine in a few weeks.

What questions did she "have to ask?" Were the interviews closed or open file?

Thanks!

The interviewer had secondaries and primary application. They did not have MCAT and GPA. In fact the first thing I was told at both interviews is that they just want to get to know me and that they had no access to MCAT and GPA.
The questions they had to ask were the standard ones. Why medicine? What is the hardest thing about medicine/about being a student in medical school do you anticipate? No bioethics or weird ones. I found that these questions set the course for all the personal questions that followed. It was regrettable that the interviews were only 20 minutes long (the allotted time to each).

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
The interviewer had secondaries and primary application. They did not have MCAT and GPA. In fact the first thing I was told at both interviews is that they just want to get to know me and that they had no access to MCAT and GPA.
The questions they had to ask were the standard ones. Why medicine? What is the hardest thing about medicine/about being a student in medical school do you anticipate? No bioethics or weird ones. I found that these questions set the course for all the personal questions that followed. It was regrettable that the interviews were only 20 minutes long (the allotted time to each).

Good luck

Your awesome. Thanks so much! Good luck to you as well.

Anyone planning on attending their second look days?

Getting excited/nervous for Friday interview!!! Anyone else going to be there Friday?

Just wondering if any one out there has gotten accepted recently?

Just interviewed today. Wonderful program. Here are some of the things they told us:

One more interview day
Committee meeting on March 2 or 3, and then again 2 weeks later, during which they will make some offers.
They have already made ~25 offers.

After that point they will likely not hand out many more offers until around may 15 or so, when those with multiple offers decline.

They also mentioned creating a waiting list around that time as well.

Good luck everyone.

How does everyone feel about attending a first year med school?

So I interviewed some time ago but have not yet heard anything back as of yet. I logged onto my account and noticed a line under Application Category that says "Application File Complete" with a red exclamation point icon next to it... same thing for "Offer Response". These entries are new... not sure how new... I am guessing that they mean that the committee has not yet made a decision?

Any one else able to chime in and or explain?

So I interviewed some time ago but have not yet heard anything back as of yet. I logged onto my account and noticed a line under Application Category that says "Application File Complete" with a red exclamation point icon next to it... same thing for "Offer Response". These entries are new... not sure how new... I am guessing that they mean that the committee has not yet made a decision? Any one else able to chime in and or explain?

When did you interview?

I interviewed in early February and my status page has not changed. I would think this means you're going to hear something soon...

How does everyone feel about attending a first year med school?

i am not going to lie, it would make me feel a little uneasy. At the same time though I really liked Oakland when I interviewed. The curriculum is awesome, the faculty seems really neat, and, since you will be first class, the school has a very big desire to make sure that you succeed since the first class will make the name for the school.

I guess overall, if Oakland was the only school that i was accepted at, I would go happily and understand that I had still been given a unque oppurtunity to attend medical school.

Oo yea, and the teaching hospital is AWESOME! Can we say SWEET surgical training center!

Does anyone going to second look know if they are offering any assistance with airfare/hotels?

I just received an e-mail placing me on the waitlist. I'm pretty excited about OUWB and I'm trying to gauge how much the waitlist will move. I assume that it will move more than the waitlist at other schools because it is a new program.

But thanks to SDN I can actually figure out what people are thinking so I'll ask...

For those of you with an acceptance -- Where does Oakland rank for you at this point and what factors will ultimately influence your decision?

Obviously I think highly enough of Oakland to pose the question. I'd appreciate your feedback so I (and other waitlisters) can have an idea of what to expect moving forward. But I definitely understand if you would prefer to keep your decision process private.

i just received an e-mail placing me on the waitlist. I'm pretty excited about ouwb and i'm trying to gauge how much the waitlist will move. I assume that it will move more than the waitlist at other schools because it is a new program.

But thanks to sdn i can actually figure out what people are thinking so i'll ask...

For those of you with an acceptance -- where does oakland rank for you at this point and what factors will ultimately influence your decision?

Obviously i think highly enough of oakland to pose the question. I'd appreciate your feedback so i (and other waitlisters) can have an idea of what to expect moving forward. But i definitely understand if you would prefer to keep your decision process private.

wl +1

I wonder if they're going to WL all applicants were not accepted post-interview.

waitlisted here as well. They sent mass messages i suppose.

Last edited:
Waitlisted also...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I wonder if they're going to WL all applicants were not accepted post-interview.

I was wondering this too. I was waitlisted yesterday. Does anyone know how many people are on the waitlist?

I asked this morning they wouldn't give me a figure.

Did the second look day pass? I don't see anything about it on their website.

This schools has rejected me twice via email and once via mail. Seriously? I think one rejection was sufficient. Congrats to everyone who got in though. I hope they sent you 3 acceptances!

Did the second look day pass? I don't see anything about it on their website.

It did pass. It was last Thursday and Friday. But they suggested they might set up a one day program later in the cycle (May-ish) for those who were unable to attend second look. So stay tuned.

Has anyone heard anything from Oakland recently?

Has anyone heard anything from Oakland recently?

If you weren't accepted outright you will probably not hear anything until May. They told me not to expect anything until then

Hi fellas,

I just withdrew my spot. Hope it goes to another candidate who needs it!

Best of luck!

I was accepted off the wait list on Monday and offered a significant scholarship during the acceptance notification call. While I have reservations about residency competitiveness after attending a new school, I was impressed on interview day and am seriously considering going to this school over a couple others (and hate that I have to make the decision so quickly!).

Just curious - who else here has confirmed their acceptance to OUWB? Has anyone else been offered a scholarship? I'm planning on asking the Admissions Office to send an email or hard copy of the scholarship offer, as I like to see things like that in writing (and am surprised that someone accepted off the wait list would be offered a scholarship)!

I was also accepted off of the waitlist but have decided to withdraw and attend a more established school (George Washington). I also received a pretty sizable scholarship but don't think its worth it because I know I'll be getting that and a lot more back once I start practicing. I chose gw because of its reputation, pretty good residency track record, and of course its location.

I was accepted off the wait list on Monday and offered a significant scholarship during the acceptance notification call. While I have reservations about residency competitiveness after attending a new school, I was impressed on interview day and am seriously considering going to this school over a couple others (and hate that I have to make the decision so quickly!).

Just curious - who else here has confirmed their acceptance to OUWB? Has anyone else been offered a scholarship? I'm planning on asking the Admissions Office to send an email or hard copy of the scholarship offer, as I like to see things like that in writing (and am surprised that someone accepted off the wait list would be offered a scholarship)!

I also was accepted off the waitlist on Monday with a significant scholarship -- I plan on attending and withdrawing my other acceptance at another "more established" school. PM if you want details on my reasoning and good luck!

Almost any school is "more established" that Oakland. How do people feel about matriculating at a new medical school? There are a lot of unknowns right now, but I guess I have very few options.
Anyone else in the same position (i.e. having reservations but not many medical school options)?

I am still on the waitlist at OUWB. For those of you recently accepted off the waitlist, would you mind reporting some of your stats?

I am still on the waitlist at OUWB. For those of you recently accepted off the waitlist, would you mind reporting some of your stats?

My stats: IS, 30Q, 3.85, Teach For America alum, several volunteer/clinical experiences, dual-degree B.S./B.A, research (w/award, presentation, and publication).

Status
Not open for further replies.