2011-2012 Medical College of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
did anyone else notice the secondary says they won't be accepting MCAT scores before august 2009?

When I had looked online before it said it would accept MCAT scores from within 3 years prior to matriculation. I took mine when I was still in college (May 2009) and am completely stressed out now and can't call them because its the weekend!

Members don't see this ad.

did anyone else notice the secondary says they won't be accepting MCAT scores before august 2009?

When I had looked online before it said it would accept MCAT scores from within 3 years prior to matriculation. I took mine when I was still in college (May 2009) and am completely stressed out now and can't call them because its the weekend!

Right. You matriculate in August of 2012, subtract 3 years --> August of 2009. They probably won't make an exception for you but it couldn't hurt to ask.

Got my secondary yesterday. Will submit on Monday after a quick call about letters. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not received a secondary yet. Maybe because my application has still not been verified. Can anyone tell me about the prompts? What is the fuss about the picture? lol

I got mine at 8:45 PST this morning. A no-essay secondary is a nice way to ease into the season!

I have not received a secondary yet. Maybe because my application has still not been verified. Can anyone tell me about the prompts? What is the fuss about the picture? lol

take a minute and actually read the thread, you might find an answer

I know that, that is what the secondary said but I would be really surprised if that were true. That would mean that they are penalizing people who took the MCAT earlier than August in 2009 (the vast majority of people who took the MCAT that year) and allowing people who took it in Sept 2009 to apply for this cycle. Most schools that have a "3 year" MCAT requirement mean that they wont count it for 2008.

Wooooo! (even though i seemed to be the only one concerned about this)

Thank you for your message. There has been a misprint on the secondary application instructions. We will accept a May 2009 MCAT for this year's application. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Wooooo! (even though i seemed to be the only one concerned about this)

Thank you for your message. There has been a misprint on the secondary application instructions. We will accept a May 2009 MCAT for this year's application. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Oh, very interesting. Thanks for sharing :thumbup:.

Just received a secondary. No essays!!?? What a treat! I was planted in front of the computer getting ready to spend some time on them.

so i'm waiting for a letter from my dean (for grad school)...do you think i could submit now and just submit my dean letter to MCW via interfolio later?

i already assigned my letters on AMCAS so it's just going to be a hassle at this point if i change it...

so i'm waiting for a letter from my dean (for grad school)...do you think i could submit now and just submit my dean letter to MCW via interfolio later?

i already assigned my letters on AMCAS so it's just going to be a hassle at this point if i change it...

Yes, you can, and you should.

is anyone here "complete" yet? i assigned letters last thursday on amcas, and still haven't been received...

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the secondary. I haven't submitted it yet even though it's easy because I don't have a photo to include and I figure I probably shouldn't leave that out.

I made an appointment for over the weekend to get a portrait taken so I'll have something professional looking to submit. I imagine I'll need it for other schools so might as well.

so i just realized that one of the letters i indicated on my MCW secondary wasn't one that I assigned to it on AMCAS. i just went back and assigned it through there...do I need to email MCW to tell them to redownload my AMCAS app or will that new letter i just assigned automatically get sent over? thanks!

is anyone here "complete" yet? i assigned letters last thursday on amcas, and still haven't been received...

Yes, I went complete.

I sent my letters last Friday and they were received yesterday at noon.

I'd wait a few more days; from the looks of last year's thread it can take awhile. Or you may have letter(s) that aren't signed/on letterhead; in last year's thread that was occasionally the cause of particular letters not showing up as received (I had this problem with THREE letters, but was able to correct it before submitting).

so i just realized that one of the letters i indicated on my MCW secondary wasn't one that I assigned to it on AMCAS. i just went back and assigned it through there...do I need to email MCW to tell them to redownload my AMCAS app or will that new letter i just assigned automatically get sent over? thanks!

AMCAS automatically sends the letters, but I don't know if MCW will "know" to look for the letter, or how that works.

AMCAS automatically sends the letters, but I don't know if MCW will "know" to look for the letter, or how that works.

but what if i just added another letter and they already got my first 6 letters? should i send them an email? i guess i could just wait and check tomorrow to see if it's changed...

Still waiting to pass the MCAT/GPA screen--my lowest is a 9 and I have 3.3 GPA...hoping to get this one soon!

for your secondary to be complete, does your MCAT need to be recieved cuz everything else for me is done?

As far as I know, they dont screen in this college. May be check your spam folder?
Thanks!

Still waiting to pass the MCAT/GPA screen--my lowest is a 9 and I have 3.3 GPA...hoping to get this one soon!

I don't have my MCAT scores in yet either. I haven't gotten the secondary yet and it's not in my spam box. Are you sure they don't pre-screen?

does anyone know of anyone that has been accepted to MCW who was a Florida resident?
They accept 2/3 of their class from Wisconsin and California, and the other third seems to be from northern states. Is there any specific reason? I'm from FL and just wondering if I should apply or not.

does anyone know of anyone that has been accepted to MCW who was a Florida resident?
They accept 2/3 of their class from Wisconsin and California, and the other third seems to be from northern states. Is there any specific reason? I'm from FL and just wondering if I should apply or not.

California probably because there are more CA applicants than spots in CA schools.
Wisconsin probably because of the desire of med schools to train people that continue to serve in the nearby community.
Northern states probably because the winters are COLD! Most people from the south don't want to deal with freezing winters.

Very interestingly, on MSAR it says that the earliest filing date is July 1st. Does that mean college will look at the entire application only after July 1st? Or are they currently looking at it and then sending the interview notifications on a later date?

In the LOR section on the secondary, does anyone know what "Title" refers to (Under the optional letter section),
I'm unsure as to whether it means a Title for the letter, or the title of the person who wrote the letter.

I don't know what they mean by title but I think on mine I put "science letter", "non science letter", or whatever, but not the person's actual title.

Yup, MCW pulls students from all around the country. I know two Florida residents in my class, and there certainly could be more. Like others have said, CA has lots of talented students and are well-represented and several WI residents choose MCW b/c it's close to family, etc.

Everyone should feel free to PM me or post any questions. Good luck as the process gets started!

I haven't received the secondary either. I don't have my MCAT scores back, but I'm verified with AMCAS and it's not in my spam folder. How long did it take before you all received yours?

I haven't received the secondary either. I don't have my MCAT scores back, but I'm verified with AMCAS and it's not in my spam folder. How long did it take before you all received yours?

First day AMCAS sent out the primaries- 6/17.

Ok thank you, thats what I was thinking.

I put the letter writer's title. It just made more sense to have their position written next to their name (and not an arbitrary title for the letter). I guess you could always call them.

Interesting...Hopefully I get it soon.

Anyone else try to sign into the MCW secondary application after being complete and it said your ID is invalid???

Hello all

I'm an M3 here at MCW and have posted a lot in last years thread. If anyone has any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll try to get back to you as soon as I can.

Best of luck to everyone applying.

According to the Admissions Director, a 7 in any section of the MCAT will be an automatic rejection. Having a single 8 will cause them to look very closely to see if there is something outstanding about your application to offset that 8. Strong MCAT score can offset a depressed GPA, but the opposite is not true.

Please note that this is NOT true. I personally know people who have sections with a score lower than a 7 that are in my class and the class below me. The cut-off is at below 6.

Has anyone had problems accessing the Secondary today? Clicking on the link or copy/pasting into the browser has failed to take me to the website. Using a PC and Explorer.

Has anyone had problems accessing the Secondary today? Clicking on the link or copy/pasting into the browser has failed to take me to the website. Using a PC and Explorer.

what are you copying/pasting? isn't it just like a quick secondary?

does anyone know what "Letter Writing Service School Name" pretains to under 'Letters'? Kind of a confusing question. My letters will be forwarded to AMCAS using the forwarding service at my school.

Is everyone else just putting their undergrad institution or the service they are using to send the letters to AMCAS?

does anyone know what "Letter Writing Service School Name" pretains to under 'Letters'? Kind of a confusing question. My letters will be forwarded to AMCAS using the forwarding service at my school.

Is everyone else just putting their undergrad institution or the service they are using to send the letters to AMCAS?

I just put my undergrad institution (premed committee letter)

Can anyone give some advice on listing a failure to stop at a red light ticket?

I'm not worried about it hurting me or anything, I just don't remember any of the information (when, where, what) and I don't know how to fill out the charge and sentence. Do I even need to list this?

I am not sure what state you are from but in California we can go to DMV to request a driving record which usually cover any traffic infractions we may have. I am sure most state do have it available. Just look on their website.

Status
Not open for further replies.